Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Hey everyone! Xenforo has received an update, bringing the software version from 2.0 to 2.1. This is more substantial than the minor updates we've had so far, and introduces a bunch of new features that we're excited to try out. Some of these features include:
  • Push notifications for mobile supported devices (basically, you can let the site send you a notification when you get one on the forums)
  • Editor button management
  • Markdown support (if you're familiar with the formatting system on Discord, that's markdown)
  • Reactions (think of something like Facebook, where you can do a heart, crying face, etc.)
  • Video uploads
  • Improvements in site browsing for guests
  • Content bookmarking
  • BB code and rich text editing for profile posts and comments
Since this is a pretty substantial update, however, there is a chance that some parts of the current site might break or be incompatible with the new version. Some of these things might be able to be adjusted to work with the update (e.g. forum skins), but others may just not work until developers release new versions of their add-ons. From what we know right now, these are the features that may experience bugs or just not work once we've updated the site:
  • Forum skins/layout edits
  • Username changes/account deactivation/badge improvements
  • Nested Quotes
  • Displaying of colored usernames/avatars on the forum index
  • The default tab on someone's profile being "About" instead of the profile comments
  • Censors may appear for all members instead of guests
I'd like to make it clear that these may still work after the update, we just don't know for sure yet. In the event that they are not compatible with the new software, we can reach out to the developers to see if/when they will be updated to support Xenforo 2.1. In the event that the update is completely unsuccessful, we could theoretically roll back to an earlier version of the forums, but this would be a last resort.

Out of all the features that may not work with the new site, the username change features + censoring features are the two that would most significantly impact the use of the site. While we hope that they do work, we'd like to plan for the worst so we can be prepared. If it is incompatible, the username change system (and other features that were added relating to it) could be changed back to what it was before without any huge consequences. It'd be inconvenient and confusing to jump between the two systems so quickly, but wouldn't have a huge impact on the site.

Censors are a little messier, as it's something we've discussed in the past and I know many people are passionate about. If the censoring system breaks, curse words would be censored for all members instead of guests. However, this is something that we should hopefully be able to remedy - we have a paid subscription to the add-on that gives us the feature, and can request for it to be updated to the new forum version. In this case, it might be a while before it's updated, and until then members would need to wait with censors enabled for everyone. Again, it would be inconvenient, but manageable.

The forum update is scheduled to happen on the evening of Monday, February 25th. As of right now, we do not know how long the update process will take. While actually updating the software should take around an hour, testing for bugs and checking site functions may take from a few hours to potentially a day. During this time, the site will not be open. Our Discord server will remain open, however, so feel free to join if you haven't already.

After the update, any bugs you encounter can be reported in this thread. When reporting a bug, first make sure that what you are reporting has not been brought up by someone else already. Questions about the update can be brought up here, as well.

Last edited:

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Evening, huh? At what time (in UTC) exactly?
We're planning around 5:00 PM CST, which would be 11 PM UTC.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Alright everyone, the update has finished and it looks like nothing has broken which is great!! Here are a few things I've noticed myself:

- The online activity indicator has turned into a circle instead of the little overlay. It's currently in the bottom right corner of avatars, but how do you think that looks? For reference, it's possible to change the symbol from a user icon to just a standard dot (or most other symbols), as well as change the position.

- Push notifications are not able to be enabled right now because we don't meet all the PHP requirements. If this is something that many people would like to see we could look into enabling it in the future.

- The emoji picker has a really handy preview feature! Unfortunately, using it makes all of our Azurill smileys turn into emojis because we've used the same name for them. A solution for this could be to add "azurill" to the end of all the names. An example would be "pensive" -> "pensiveazurill". These names could be changed on the Discord server too for convenience. Alternatively, we could change to the Discord names ("musing", "zz", etc.) and use them on this site as well.

- Reactions are live! Hover over the "Like" button to use a different reaction (or hold down on it if you're on mobile). We have the ability to make reactions give a positive, neutral, or negative "reaction score" (basically just likes but they work for other reactions besides just the thumbs up). Currently Like, Hahah, and Love all give +1 reaction score while Wow, Sad, and Angry give neutral scores. For the same reasons dislikes were disabled on Azuri, we would probably only ever use the neutral and positive scores for reactions. We can change the image used for each of these if we want, as well as adding more if people think of them. It should be possible to change these emojis into the Azurill smileys we have, as well.

- Markdown support has also been added. This is the same text formatting system that Discord uses, where you can put *'s around phrases to italicize them. However, upon investigation, this is automatically enabled with no way to turn it off. The ability to disable it has apparently been implemented in Xenforo 2.1.1, but that update has not been released yet. Until it is, this is something that we'll just have to deal with, unfortunately. The current workaround is to go into the raw BB code of a post and add your *'s, _'s, or ~'s there.

- Table BB code has been added to the standard BB codes, so the custom BB code for tables has been removed.

What are your thoughts about these? Have you noticed anything else you'd like to bring up design-wise now that the site's been updated? Feel free to use this thread to bring up ideas as well as reporting bugs.

Flo

Seventh Siren
Time Zone
BST
patch notes pog

honestly i have no real inclination either way for emotes, but I think it's important to keep our brand first, yeah?

also the new notification/inbox buttons are ugly

also also seeing the tags on the most recently edited thread on the homepage is ugly

also also also when you're on your profile page and you try and change page on your status updates, it returns you to your profile page, rather than the next page of statuses?????

Last edited:

Revan

Wound in the Force
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Ravey, Steve
Time Zone
US Central Time
The emoji picker has a really handy preview feature! Unfortunately, using it makes all of our Azurill smileys turn into emojis because we've used the same name for them. A solution for this could be to add "azurill" to the end of all the names. An example would be "pensive" -> "pensiveazurill". These names could be changed on the Discord server too for convenience. Alternatively, we could change to the Discord names ("musing", "zz", etc.) and use them on this site as well.
I really like the idea of names like "pensiveazurill" because "pensive" is what that emoji was based off of and it makes it much easier to remember for me.

Love the reaction system tbh. I like how the online indicator is more visible but I didn't really care about that in the first place haha. I like the markdowns too! Overall some nice new features.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
no real strong opinions here but update looks fine!! reactions are uhh interesting

changing our azurill emote names to just put azurill at the end would be ideal, and change it to that on discord too, instead of using totally different names like pensive -> musing.. it would be a lot more consistent

also i thought the online indicator would look annoying but it's actually so non-intrusive especially since you moved it away from the middle, so i have no complaints.

ty for smooth update \o/

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
I would love to see the reaction emojis changed to the azurill emojis that would be very cute and would feel more appropriate!!

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
- online activity indicator
I think it looks fine how and where it is.

- Push notifications
I would be interested in having this eventually, but it's definitely something that can just be put on the backburner until a later date.

- emoji names
I'm just going to parrot the others and say to go with (emote)azurill for the emote names. That makes things easier in general since we don't have to try and remember the names for the Azuri-style emotes if we don't use the picker (i.e. musing for pensive) and we don't have to come up with new names for any new emotes.

- Reactions are live! [...] We can change the image used for each of these if we want, as well as adding more if people think of them. It should be possible to change these emojis into the Azurill smileys we have, as well.
I'd definitely be interested in changing the emojis to the Azuri-style emotes, since I think that'll make it feel more connected with the rest of the site. As for adding reactions, obviously we shouldn't add too many or else we'll bloat it with reactions that are barely used. That said, I would love to see :hmmazurill: and :thonkazurill: as reactions, which should both not give any reaction points.

- Markdown support has also been added. This is the same text formatting system that Discord uses, where you can put *'s around phrases to italicize them. However, upon investigation, this is automatically enabled with no way to turn it off. The ability to disable it has apparently been implemented in Xenforo 2.1.1, but that update has not been released yet. Until it is, this is something that we'll just have to deal with, unfortunately. The current workaround is to go into the raw BB code of a post and add your *'s, _'s, or ~'s there.
Well this is going to make things weird whenever somebody wants to address me as ~Kilza~ in their post.

But, yeah, all that said that the new update looks good! Still strange having things I'm used to changed but I'm sure I'll get used to it before long.

Vigilance

The Devil Himself
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
The new updates look nice. A fan of the reaction among other things. Overall 2.1 looks really nice and the changes are definitely well welcomed (at least in my book). Great job working on the transition you staffers!

Thundawave

♔ Deja Vu ♔
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
IGN
Regine
also also also when you're on your profile page and you try and change page on your status updates, it returns you to your profile page, rather than the next page of statuses?????
I checked this, and it's probably because of our add-on that makes the about tab viewed first when loading the profile. If you go to the profile posts tab, it'll be on page 2. It's a minor inconvenience that hopefully will be resolved whenever the developer updates the add-on for 2.1.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I checked this, and it's probably because of our add-on that makes the about tab viewed first when loading the profile. If you go to the profile posts tab, it'll be on page 2. It's a minor inconvenience that hopefully will be resolved whenever the developer updates the add-on for 2.1.
This may have actually been an issue before 2.1 to be honest. The add-on Thunda mentioned switches the tab to "About" whenever the page is loaded to make it the default, but going to the second page of statuses reloads the page so it switches back to "About" instead of the profile comments. We can disable the add-on (meaning the default page whenever you load a profile would be comments instead of "About") if needed, but I'm not sure if this will be resolved if the add-on is updated.

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
This may have actually been an issue before 2.1 to be honest. The add-on Thunda mentioned switches the tab to "About" whenever the page is loaded to make it the default, but going to the second page of statuses reloads the page so it switches back to "About" instead of the profile comments. We can disable the add-on (meaning the default page whenever you load a profile would be comments instead of "About") if needed, but I'm not sure if this will be resolved if the add-on is updated.
I think you're right that it can't be resolved just from having the add-on updated. From looking at the page myself and trying to see what it does, it looks like changing the profile posts page calls a JS function that uses AJAX to get the requested profile posts page and reloads the page to display the gotten profile posts page. Except it reloads the entire profile to do this as you said, not just that tab section, so it means it goes back to having the first tab (in this case the "About" tab) selected. I don't know if that's something that can be changed.

Slix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I’m indifferent to most of these updates, but I do think the online indicators could be a dot (and maybe blue?) and be a little more stylized than the user symbol.