Sword/Shield Galar Region discussion

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
let's discuss the new region \o/

The Galar region is the setting for the newly announced Pokemon games, Sword and Shield, and appears to be based on Great Britain.

how do you feel about what we've seen of it so far? do you have any specific hopes for it?

a big point of discussion too, do you think it looks complete? a lot of people seem worried it looks too small, or way too linear (like you will just be walking north the whole time). maybe there will be more to it..?

here is the image of the region we were given, for reference:

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
At first glance, I'm noticing a lot more grassland than water, unless we can go to those islands off to the side. The snowy region is a little bigger than usual too, which I think I like. The Pokemon League also seems to be in a city of its own, which might be interesting to see.

Overall, the whole region seems to be more dense with cities and towns. Maybe we might actually run into wild pokemon in cities.

Last edited:

Bones Barlow

Ghost with the Most
AKA
Bones
Time Zone
EST/GMT -5
3DS FC
5370-0907-5084
Switch FC
SW-0851-1998-5587
I'm noticing what appear to be train tracks here and there, which I think is neat. It looks like they're mostly going through places that otherwise wouldn't really be travelable, like though mountains and over large gaps. Fast travel, maybe?

There's also about four buildings in the middle third of the region that look like stadiums. I don't see enough of them to be Gyms, so maybe they're something else? Fancy battle facilities, maybe, like the Battle Royal Dome in Alola?

I'm also seeing a couple places I'm almost positive are dungeons: the big mansion in the southeast corner of the snowy area, some kind of ruins nearby, a tower in that big field in the middle of the region. If not dungeons, there's definitely gonna be something neat in there.

Overall, I'm very curious about the region, which I think is a good sign. I do agree that it feels a little empty, but I've played enough Pokemon to suspect that there's more than what we're seeing.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
The Pokemon games are already pretty linear in terms of where you can travel during the story, but this is a whole other level. I liked getting lost in Johto and Kanto and regretting running across half the map because an area of blocked off.

The region looks like a Pokemon region, with all the key areas in the all the same places. Like, why is Ice consistently only available late in the game??

It looks like you have to travel through half the map before getting to the gym/stadium battles, so if that's the case, that's a refreshing twist.

The artwork is really nice, though.

Kyogre386

Regular Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
UTC-05:00
The region looks like a Pokemon region, with all the key areas in the all the same places. Like, why is Ice consistently only available late in the game??
I share this frustration, Ice is my favorite type but I almost never use Ice Pokemon on my ingame team because...well...

Sad that we start in Scotland and STILL have to wait for Ice Types because they flipped it and made England to the North.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
it is a strange set up for sure... though the linear-ness doesn't personally bother me that much, at first i was like hmmmmm but if you zoom in on the region it really looks like you'll be able to go all sorts of places in a horizontal range, not just straight north - town, then north to another town, then north to another town. i am excited.

Kyogre386

Regular Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
it is a strange set up for sure... though the linear-ness doesn't personally bother me that much, at first i was like hmmmmm but if you zoom in on the region it really looks like you'll be able to go all sorts of places in a horizontal range, not just straight north - town, then north to another town, then north to another town. i am excited.
It'll probably still be linear, just a zigzag instead of straight south to north. It certainly won't have the beautiful loops of Hoenn and Sinnoh, but then again Great Britain's shape was never going to be conducive to that,

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
Heheeeee I never thought I'd be excited for a UK-based country! The map looks positively fabulous too, of course we don't know the specifics of a lot of the locations but in such a small area they've managed to fit so many environments! Like many of you have already said there looks to be a LOT more Ice and Snow than there usually is.
The few landmarks and cities I can make out, course there's London, Hadrian's Wall, the Lake District and a handful of islands that could represent the Isle of Wight, Jersey, Gurnsey etc. Those are the obvious ones at least.
Something really cool I only noticed looking at it this time around is that there's a railway starting in the Southernmost town, going west into the hills and up along the west coast, then crossing through that central city to the east. I'm not sure if its just decoration or a mechanic, BUT, it would be really cool if it was accessible straight away and you'd take the train, say, all the way up north and the 2nd-3rd gym would be there?
Its all speculation and I usually don't speculate but I'm just so excited for gen 8 I can't help myself!

Kyogre386

Regular Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
Something really cool I only noticed looking at it this time around is that there's a railway starting in the Southernmost town, going west into the hills and up along the west coast, then crossing through that central city to the east. I'm not sure if its just decoration or a mechanic, BUT, it would be really cool if it was accessible straight away and you'd take the train, say, all the way up north and the 2nd-3rd gym would be there?
I didn't see that before because I never looked closely enough, but I think you're right. There doesn't seem to be any other path through that mountain range.