Games-Oriented Discord Server Interest Thread

-Rosen

Bored
AKA
Cleb
We've had some recent discussion in the Discord server about adding bots to the server to play several games that may be better suited for Discord (namely Mafia, which is made incredibly simple through bot presence, among other things), though since it's looking like there won't be any kinds of additions in relation to bots on the official server, I'm looking to create a new server specifically for these kinds of games. Some of the things that we could be looking at in such a server include:
  • Mafia
  • Survivor/Big Brother
  • Minigames (Either Text-Based or through Bot Programs)
  • Card Games (Though this is limited by what bots we can find)
  • Pretty much anything else we can think of
What do you guys think? Would this be something that you'd be interested in participating in? If you've got any ideas/comments/concerns/etc, feel free to reply to this thread, as nothing is finalized as of right now~

Last edited:

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
I'd be interested in participating in such a server. I think it's a great idea, especially if there's community interest: it frees up the official discord from having too many bots and channels.

Last edited:

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
I'd say that it would be nice, but still...

Let's see what others say about this :winkazurill:

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
If you're looking to make an unaffiliated server without any official connections to these forums (besides starting with some of this forums members), making a feedback thread on this site is basically just advertising. Not saying you can't make it, if you want to have a server that you run separate from this site that's totally fine! But this forum is meant for feedback about the Marriland Forums and not a place for people to get opinions on projects for other sites or communities. Other "unofficial" servers have been created and shared for forum related events (such as MarriProm, the Draft Tourney, etc.) but each was made to accent a forum activity and not proposed to be a separate community that's interested in expanding to a "much better following".

I'd also like to say that while I have shared my personal opinion about bringing game bots onto the Discord server, I've also expressed that if there was enough support and activity to justify it, games or other bots could be added to the server. If that's the route we decide to take, I think that a separate category would make more sense than a new server entirely. I haven't seen many people who seem too interested in it, but since it's only had a few conversations a thread like this might be better suited to get public opinions.

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
I kind of don't like how this feels like an over glorified advertising thread for a server you would be making rather than actually making a feedback discussion over adding bots to the Marriland server. It is a bit insulting that rather than trying to talk about adding bots to the server and asking for support and thoughts in the thread, you just kind of are plugging a project you would be undertaking and are just using Marriland as a launching point for it. Just so this can be more on topic to questions and feedback, I do think we should talk about if we support adding bots to the server and discuss the pros and cons to it. There already has been discussion in the Discord itself, but organizing thoughts here would be much better.

I personally think it's worth a trial period at the very least. In every server I've been in, bots usually ended up dying a month or two after introduction, but I still think it is worth a shot seeing how it can thrive in the forum server. If it fails, then we know to not attempt it again. If it doesn't, then we have something new and fun for people to keep trying and fiddling with.

-Rosen

Bored
AKA
Cleb
The whole unofficial part of this was more a stem from the latter half of what was discussed in the Discord and wasn't necessarily to say that the goal was *explicitly* to branch away from this community to begin with; that was more so me snowballing ideas as I typed up the post, but I digress.

As it stands right now, I don't really think it's great to just be like "oh yeah there isn't a lot of community support" because I'm sure at least a decent part of the community doesn't even know that this is being talked about in the first place. Granted, I don't really know how activity is on a daily basis, but judging from the earlier conversation, I'm not sure if a lot of people DO know about it, which is also reason for this post

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Katey
if lots of people want bots on the marriland server we should try it!!

Maybe we should have a poll asking which bot people wanna try most, if any. With a list of bots that the staff would be open to trying. (Simply because I don't want bots to arbitrarily start being added; just one to start with would be best to see how it goes)

On top of that, I also support regular bot events, though nothing too often. Maybe like, a music party on the first Saturday of every month :hmmazurill:. something like that would be cute and chill and i doubt people would get bored

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
As it stands right now, I don't really think it's great to just be like "oh yeah there isn't a lot of community support" because I'm sure at least a decent part of the community doesn't even know that this is being talked about in the first place. Granted, I don't really know how activity is on a daily basis, but judging from the earlier conversation, I'm not sure if a lot of people DO know about it, which is also reason for this post
If people don't know about it, they probably don't care much that it isn't a thing. Not saying that they wouldn't enjoy it, but they can't support something they're unaware of. If you want to raise support for it, let people know about it first and then go from there. That's why I said using this thread for a public discussion would be good- it's a more visible place where it's easier to discuss something.

I think that having members suggest bots would be a great idea, and then after staff look through them and pick a few possible bots out the public could vote on them to see what people want most.

Regarding bot events, just having server events in general would be a good idea I think! Bots can absolutely be utilized, but I don't think it should be limited to that. A music party would be a ton of fun, and I can see similar things doing well too.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
I'm not against bots, but I also don't want to see a whole bunch of bots in the server that just aren't being used. A bot gets added, and after a while, it loses its charm, and then no one really touches it again. In a server like this, a bunch of unused bots can look tacky. If this was just a server with a bunch of friends in it, it wouldn't really be an issue, I don't think, but since this is a server part of a forum, I think it's best to limit bots to the ones that are actually gonna see use or for events.

That said, I like the idea of having server events with bots! I'm not against trying it to see how it goes. If it ends up flopping, then we'll just try again later or never again. If it goes well, then hey, we have some bots in the server, but there's really no harm in giving it a chance.