Gift Wrapping: an art

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
I'm going to be straight with you guys: I'm terrible at gift wrapping. I can occasionally get a nice result if I'm wrapping something simple like a DVD, but anything that's a slightly weird size or shape is going to be a hot mess. As I was wrapping Christmas presents yesterday afternoon, I thought this might be a fun topic to ask the community about!

How are your gift wrapping skills? Do you opt for gift bags instead so no one (including you) ever has to see your horrible wrapping job? Do you make someone else in your family wrap your gifts for you? Are you the gift wrapping master, or do all of your attempts look like abstract art? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
My mom and I do all the gift wrapping in my family. My dad’s okay at it when he tries, but my brother can’t wrap to save his life. Pretty sure my mom has had to wrap gifts from my brother to herself a few times.

smoky

afterglow
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
my wrapping is messy but people deal with it hehehe. i ran out of tape this year, so i used duct tape to tape all my presents shut lol. the wrapping is very crinkled too. most of the time, i just wrap my sister’s gift and force her to do my parents’ gifts but i did my dad’s, sister’s, and dog’s presents and ended up screwing up so bad on all of them

i think a part of the charm of xmas presents for me is seeing how ****ty of a job i can do on wrapping them and watching my family struggle to open their gifts bc i do things like use duct tape lol

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
I'm pretty good at gift wrapping, not an expert at doing anything fancy or complicated but everything so far has come out decent. Obviously my mother is really good, she taught me how to do it. I walked in on my brother watching a youtube video on how to gift wrap a single cube box, it took him 2 hours.

Bonkenhi

you know how crows hop around?
Staff Emeritus
AKA
George
Time Zone
GMT
You know I agree, gift wrapping IS an art. Just like any of my Great Works, people seem to just be disappointed and unsurprised that it looks more like abstract art rather than a neatly wrapped present. I can sometimes do a decent job if the present is shaped like a cuboid. Cylinders nope and don't even get me STARTED on more advanced wrapping techniques!

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
I’m not exactly great at it, haha. The presents I gave to my dad and brother I just kept in the bags from Best Buy. Although last year when I gave my sister her gift I was given a bag and shrouded the present with paper. So, make of that what you will.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
I just put my gifts in bags. Saves the stress!

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
Bags are so nice and easy but some of the fun is tearing into your presents so I try to wrap anything that won’t just be a major pain to wrap lol

The only thing I got a bag for this year was the Groudon plushie I got for my brother in law bc heck no

Solar

Loog Noog Supreme
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Wrapping is one of my favorite parts of the season. I'm alright at it, my problem is I tend to use too much so the ends get a little thick, but it all turns out alright in the end.

Bags are ok but they feel like DEFEAT unless it's a plushie or something because as Dino put it, heck no.

Lauren

D:
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I can do cube/cuboid shaped things alright, but everything else is just tragic.

-Rosen

Bored
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Cleb
Gift wrapping more like completely impossible anybody who can do it has some blood pact with the devil and you can't convince me otherwise

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I'm good at wrapping boxed items, but anything else goes in a bag. I'm not trying to scare them with my wrapping inability!

Revan

Wound in the Force
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Ravey, Steve
Time Zone
US Central Time
I prefer to wrap gifts over using gift bags because it feels more special to me. That being said, I'm terrible at gift wrapping lol. I can wrap boxes ok but even then the ends are usually pretty sloppy. I manage to make it work but I definitely wouldn't display a box wrapped by me in a museum.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I hate wrapping things ;; unless it's for a white elephant exchange and the goal is to make it as ridiculous to open as possible, I'd go with a bag like every time lol

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
I have never wrapped a gift in my life tbh. I'm pretty sure I'd be abysmal at it. My Mom and sister do all the wrapping in my family. If I was forced into having to wrap a present, I'd probably just use a bag, since it's a lot easier just to throw it in a bag and hand it to the recipient.

Nuuk

lilfella
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Creative Soul
AKA
lizzy
i try to wrap things as much as possible just cuz its fun to try and do a good job for me

the only time i use bags is if im in a hurry and we actually have bags available. most of the time though i try my best, and if it a weird shape oh well my family will most likely laugh about it.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I have never gift wrapped anything. When I’ve given people presents, I just used bags.