Discussion Goals you set for yourself

Reunilu

Reddest of Mages
AKA
Shaymin, Nagi
Or rather, art specific ones. What kind of not-so-far-flung dreams do you have about making art?

For me, a long time ago it used to be that I wanted to make GFX that invokes the same feeling as something like in BakaArts videos. Now I’m an absolute sucker for K-dramas, so now my dream is to be able to draw the look of two people in love with each other in the way it looks in reality.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I dream of creating a full Pokédex with the fakémon I’ve created. Each one will have a sprite and a Pokédex entry. It will take some time, but I think I can finish it within a year or two.

smoky

afterglow
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i kinda just wanna be able to move away from the cartoony and anime stuff, and make realistic artwork. i know people don't care as much about it and wouldn't buy realistic pieces as much, but doing realism makes me feel happier than making cartoony drawings. i've been doing realism a lot more lately, but i wanna work on it more. i have a while to go until i'm making 100% realistic drawings, but i'll get there one day.

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
My goals change all the time, but my current goal is to be more creative with my artwork and use my imagination more. I still rely on references a bit too much, that my artwork sometimes looks really similar to the reference I used. I want to incorporate my own imagination into my artwork more.

Mudkip_Mishchief

Goodbye
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Carson, Mudkip
IGN
bbop
Overall, my art is really bad. I just want to get better, its been like 3 or 4 years now with no significant improvement

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
My long-term goals have been quite vague in general over the years (git gud at gfx, git gud at smudges, etc.). I mainly focus on goals for particular pieces. So I could say something like "for this piece, I want to focus on improving my depth." I'm such a filthy casual lol.

Fafrir

Queen of Dragons
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
i know people don't care as much about it and wouldn't buy realistic pieces as much, but doing realism makes me feel happier than making cartoony drawings.
From experience, there are tons of people who love realism and I find doing art you like to do tends to sell more because it's your voice in the art instead of trying to appeal to the masses and you are not happy with the product.
I still rely on references a bit too much, that my artwork sometimes looks really similar to the reference I used.
To me, relying on references all the time is not always a bad thing, especially when used to achieve the right proportions, proper shading, and the like. Transformation and imagination are important but it also doesn't mean to ditch your references either.
Overall, my art is really bad. I just want to get better, its been like 3 or 4 years now with no significant improvement
This might sound clichéd but keep on practicing! It may take you a month or it may take you 10 years to improve but do not let the length of time discourage you from making art. It's also helpful to study anatomy, value, shading, etc. to improve your art further.

One of my goals are everytime I finish a piece, I consistently challenge myself how I can make it better. I'd love to do projects but I've a tendency to drop them in the middle because I'm one of those people who can easily start something but cannot finish. I guess I get bored easily but I could have that as my additional goal to improve my motivation.

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
To me, relying on references all the time is not always a bad thing, especially when used to achieve the right proportions, proper shading, and the like. Transformation and imagination are important but it also doesn't mean to ditch your references either.
Yeah that's what I think as well, except that my artwork sometimes looks almost exactly like the reference with a tiny alteration. That's something I need to work on.

Sheep

Regular Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Improve a bit with basic animations! Right now I only do very, very simplistic things like blinking, tail wagging, and maybe a cute animated blush as seen on the Lotad in my art gallery....but I'd like to improve on those and make them more fluid. Not an animator by any stretch of the means so simple ones are all I'd go for (for now), brings much more life to some artwork. :3c

Aaaand actually enjoy doing lineart again. lmao

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i rly relate to michelle (tho i'm surprised she has that problem since her work always look so expressive and unique). i have an issue with drawing from references and getting so neurotic about it that it comes out looking super stiff and just like the reference, rather than having my own personality and style in it. That's something I've REALLY been working on in the past year or so. I try to let loose with my work and not worry so much about getting every little thing perfect... let my heart into it a little, you know.

Also a vague goal I've always had is to get better at people. I've always struggled with drawing humans a lot more than animals/creatures or even plants etc.

Sinister M.

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Sam
My goals change all the time, but my current goal is to be more creative with my artwork and use my imagination more. I still rely on references a bit too much, that my artwork sometimes looks really similar to the reference I used. I want to incorporate my own imagination into my artwork more.
i rly relate to michelle (tho i'm surprised she has that problem since her work always look so expressive and unique). i have an issue with drawing from references and getting so neurotic about it that it comes out looking super stiff and just like the reference, rather than having my own personality and style in it. That's something I've REALLY been working on in the past year or so. I try to let loose with my work and not worry so much about getting every little thing perfect... let my heart into it a little, you know.

Also a vague goal I've always had is to get better at people. I've always struggled with drawing humans a lot more than animals/creatures or even plants etc.
I had some similar issues, what really helped me was to draw from something 3D. I dunno what you are drawing, but drawing from a physical object can really helps this. Even if you can't draw from life try to draw something 3D and not completely constant. Something with a little bit of movement. idk a 3D pokemon idle animation vs a piece of Sugimori art for example.

It really helps when what you are trying to 'copy' isn't a clear-cut 2D image; that way you leave yourself no choice but to use artistic license to translate It into a 2D image. When you are using a still 2D image, and re-drawing it as a still 2D image, it's no surprise that it will be very similar. When something is moving even a little, or if it's a physical object where you can never quite see it from the same angle every time, it forces you to loosen up when you draw, and capture something uniquely your own. It is a little harder though, lol

I want to make more art. That's always the goal, I guess. I never make enough; I wanna draw daily.

Rubad Ubdub

Pokemon GO delete this post
AKA
nus3bank, bncrock, BHDude
Time Zone
US Mountain Time
I want to make art that doesn't suck.

Then I'll go from there.

gylfie

you shouldn't have listened
I had some similar issues, what really helped me was to draw from something 3D. I dunno what you are drawing, but drawing from a physical object can really helps this. Even if you can't draw from life try to draw something 3D and not completely constant. Something with a little bit of movement. idk a 3D pokemon idle animation vs a piece of Sugimori art for example.

It really helps when what you are trying to 'copy' isn't a clear-cut 2D image; that way you leave yourself no choice but to use artistic license to translate It into a 2D image. When you are using a still 2D image, and re-drawing it as a still 2D image, it's no surprise that it will be very similar. When something is moving even a little, or if it's a physical object where you can never quite see it from the same angle every time, it forces you to loosen up when you draw, and capture something uniquely your own. It is a little harder though, lol

I want to make more art. That's always the goal, I guess. I never make enough; I wanna draw daily.
this. it's a big reason why we use live models in class rather than just using stock reference photos, even though it would be cheap and easy. understanding how something looks in the 3d world actually helps you capture things on a 2d surface like paper even better.

@shhmew and @Azuviin - i think the solution here is actually to use more reference instead of less! i recommend that you put down a rough idea of what you want to draw, and then get reference images for each different bit of the piece that you don't know how to draw. using one image as reference means you tend to copy what you see, but many images means it's research. this tutorial explains really well how to use reference to be able to draw whatever you want!

of course if you're aiming for photo/realism, you might just use one photograph and sight measurement to try to get your drawing as close to the reference photo as possible. just make sure it's either your photo, or that you give photo creds where they're due :P
@smoky i really recommend that you look into learning how to use sight measurement! it's *so* helpful when it comes to making things look realistic!

whew
as for my own goals, i'd like to make my own comics and/or animated show one day! unfortunately i almost always lack in the motivation department so i honestly don't know if i'll ever get there. i have trouble turning "someday I'm going to do this" into "i am going to do this today"
i'd also like to be good/popular enough to make an art book that people would buy :3c