Godot's Reviews

Godot

Dragon Tamer
AKA
Connor, Godot, Mir (although only one person has ever called me that)
Time Zone
Central Time
Hello and welcome to Godot's reviews. I'm Godot, and I'll be reviewing various works of fiction in various forms of media. Games, movies, and TV shows are all fair game here. Frankly, I'm liable to start with stuff that I know everyone here's familiar with... *cough, cough* Pokemon *cough*... And then move on to things that are less familiar or more in the general niche I prefer, such as literally anything history related (That means you, 300). That said, my reviews are all my own opinion. I'm not an expert on anything (as much as I'd like to be as far as history is concerned) so every "critique" is more likely a nitpick, and everything I type should be taken with a grain of salt (or the entire salt shaker, in some instances). Another general warning for ya'll is that I will make jokes (mostly bad ones) regardless of how much I liked or hated the material. I'll update this thread later with my first review series, which will be Pokemon (or as much of it as I can find on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime's Instant Watch). After I finish up the first season of Pokemon, I'll take a breather to focus on another show which will be announced at a later date (although it might involve *gasp* "learning", which I'm sure some folks might object to). Mythology may or may not be on the table between reviews... And I'm probably going to redo the first two reviews of Pokemon (located on Azurilland), because I was kinda cynical back in 2017 when I initially started trying to review things (and may not have been fair to the series in the second one, whoops).

Last edited:

Godot

Dragon Tamer
AKA
Time Zone
Central Time
Okay, time for my review of Pokémon: Season 1: Episode 1. I doubt I'm the first, and considering this is a Pokémon forum, to welcome you (back) to the wonderful world of Pokémon. The review itself will be contained entirely in the spoiler below. Everything will be presented in black text, Azure is recommended. Without further ado, let's get this show on the road.

We open with the main theme, if you know the lyrics then you might want to stop and sing a while... Go ahead, I'll wait... I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was... We good? Wonderful. Look, bikes are expensive so most of us will be making this journey on foot. We open with an homage to the game, specifically the Nidorino vs Gengar battle that the game's attract screen depicts. As the battle announcer helpfully states, "Nidorino begins battle with a Horn Attack." And doesn't hit Gengar. Gengar then uses hypnosis and the shadow trainer uses an Onix instead. And Onix doesn't do much.

And then we zoom out to reveal our protagonist watching the same battle on TV... Points for style. This young man is Ash Ketcham of Pallet Town, and our protagonist introducing himself. And then our narrator ruins the introduction by repeating it immediately. Thanks, disembodied narrator that wasn't redundant or pointless at all. Our narrator spends some time explaining that people in this world are allowed to own dangerous, sentient, creatures at the age of ten. I'd say think of the children, but apparently that's been accounted for already.

"I'm going to be a Pokemon Master" our protagonist states, holding a voltorb alarm clock like a pokeball. (Remember this for later, they're setting something up) Delia (Ash's mom) walks in and shouts at him to go to bed, which causes Ash to "accidentally" throw the clock. Which Delia catches, two points to Delia. One for catching the clock and one for good parenting. Apparently Ash's bed time is before eleven o'clock. When Ash complains about being unable to sleep, Delia tells him to watch an educational program in preparation for getting his first pokemon in the morning.

Title Card... Not much to say here, it's a title card.

Hey, you got exposition in my dream sequence. No, you got your dream sequence in my exposition. Screw it, expositionary dream sequences can be fun. If you can't put two and two together, Ash is having dream sequences that double as exposition about what starters he can choose. After the first one, the alarm clock rolls into Ash's hand as he dream exposits about Squirtle... And he throws the clock in his sleep, because apparently he has a full range of motion when he's asleep... Odd, but not unheard of. A dodrio sounds, alerting us to morning as Ash continues dreaming... Specifically about Charmander. When he wakes up, we see the clock smashed to bits. That's the payoff from earlier folks, a reason for our protagonist to have oversleep... Which was admittedly rather funny.

As Ash arrives we hear Cheerleaders (I'm assuming on someone's payroll) cheering on "What was my grandson's name again?" Jacka... I mean Gree... Blue? Gary. Cheering on Gary. And the jerk himself appears to push Ash to the ground (although Ash kinda had it coming for shoving his way through the crowd. I swear the entire town showed up and then some). And the Oak kid has an ego on him, how very endearing... No wait what's the word, annoying. He supposedly got the "best pokemon" from his Grandfather. Hold on, is that a car? He's in a car with a chauffeur and everything! But all the other trainers in Pallet are traveling on foot, so Gary's getting a double dose of unfair advantage. What a jerk!

And as he drives off, the entire crowd follows him off screen... A Wild Professor Oak appeared! Professor Oak used plot advancement, it's super effective. And Ash got burned for showing up in his pajamas. With every other pokemon taken, Ash is stuck with the one no one wanted. The electric mouse, wait I can guarantee more kids would want the electric mouse than the turtle. What is wrong with the kids in Pallet? Meet Pikachu, our cute and cuddly sidekick... Which promptly shocks Ash when he picks it up.

Ash walks outside, is greeted by his mother and the half of the town that was too late to see Gary off. And she packed clothes for him, rather thoughtful. Skipping to Ash's first moment of "training", We see that Ash is learning to understand the stubborn electric rodent (albeit not very well). Cue wild Pidgey. Pikachu refuses to battle the thing, leaving Ash to make a fool of himself because he's just as stubborn as pikachu. After being robbed by a rattata, Ash is mocked by the pokedex.

Ash throws a stone at a spearow, unleashing the fury of the bird and leads to an entire flock gunning for him. Thinking that the water is his best chance for escape, he jumps into the river and then latches on to a fishing line. Somehow unconcerned about the kid, who was underwater for a while, Misty focuses on Pikachu first and foremost.

Misty's mean to Ash, despite not knowing why he and Pikachu were in the water to begin with. Points him toward a Center. And then has her bike stolen, because Ash is kind of a jerk when he's desperate. "I'll give it back someday" Yeah, Ash, I'm sure you wi... Nevermind, the bike's been charred because pikachu saved you from the spearow. So aside from charred bikes, thunderbolts, and a Ho-Oh sighting about a season early Ash is a very sub-par trainer in this episode. I'm sure he'll get better though, right?

So that's episode 1, done and gone. As the narrator gives his ending spiel and we launch into the Pokérap. Feel free to sing, I'll just wait here and give my opinion on the episode when you get back

Done? Okay. Overall this episode is fun and exciting. Although several questions are raised, mostly by the presence of Gary's car, there was nothing too absurd. It gets you sucked into the world and ready to wait a week for the next episo... Oh, right. This season isn't airing anymore and I'm watching it on Netflix. Um, it gets you ready to binge watch the entire season? Oh sweet merciful Arceus, what have I gotten myself into?

Neat. Hadn't actually noticed Gary had a car, funny. This is different from your other verion, but funny either way. Enjoyed the part about exposition in the dream sequence or dream sequence in the exposition :joyous:

Godot

Dragon Tamer
AKA
Time Zone
Central Time
@Isa, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Just like with the first episode, we open with the theme song. Feel free to watch and singalong, but I'll personally be skipping to the meat of the episode. Because if I talk about how good the theme is, we'll be here all day.

There's also a recap. Depending on how long it's been since you watched the first episode, or read my review of it, you might want to watch this. Because I already covered the first episode, no recap for me.

Title card is a title card is a title card.

The episode proper opens with Officer Jenny announcing to the entire city of Viridian that there have been reports of possible pokémon thieves in the area. I know that she's doing this over an intercom and that repetition is necessary to make sure everyone's aware of a potential hazard. But as a viewer, the repetition is kind of annoying. Realistic, but annoying... And now I'm doing it! And Pikachu not wanting to be in the pokeball immediately leads to a misunderstanding as Ash runs towards the city with Pikachu in his arms.

Officer Jenny confronts Ash about his perceived Pokémon theft. And Ash, doing the smart thing, points out that Pikachu is his... Although he probably shouldn't have raised his voice to her. And Officer Jenny apologizes before asking for ID. Something she probably should have done before he could interject or at least before apologizing, given her suspicion.

Also Jessie and James's photos can be seen on the wanted poster in the background... And from the way it's shot it looks like the photographer was trying to be as unhelpful as possible. Seriously, the only identifiers are their hair colors (which given that this is an anime, are probably both more common than they'd be in reality) and the fact that they're members of Team Rocket. Also if Jenny knew what she's supposed to be looking for, why did the misunderstanding happen in the first place?

Ash states he doesn't have an ID. And as far as the viewer is aware, Ash doesn't have an ID. He does mention Pallet Town, and Jenny points out that he's the fourth person from Pallet that she's seen all day. So Gary's already passed through Viridian and so have the other trainers. Ash assumes Gary was third, but if he hadn't gotten out of the car we saw last episode there's a fair chance he might have been second.

"It's very unusual for someone to carry a pokémon around in his arms and not in a pokéball." Thank you, Officer Jenny, for explaining your thought process and also repeating something we learned last episode. I know I'm trying to be more positive, but I really don't like Officer Jenny especially given the wanted poster in the background and the repetition. Another assertion that Ash could have stolen the pikachu. Officer, I want to like you but the dialogue is not helping your case!

We did not need the close up on the aforementioned poster while Jenny is repeating everything the audience already witnessed aloud verbatim. She noticed the pokédex, asked about it, and swiped it out of his hands when he responded... Adding random confiscation of plot important items to the ever growing list of reasons I don't like Viridian's Jenny.

Just over three minutes in and I've written this much. By fiddling with the pokédex she reveals that it's a form of ID. A fact that I'd be more interested in with we hadn't had three minutes of what filler due to Jenny's behavior, dialogue, and background details. Expositiondex, all that needs to be said.

So while Officer Jenny drives on her motorcycle Ash (rather quickly too, are speed limits not a thing? If they are a thing do officers not have to follow them?) to the Pokémon center, we get the reveal of Team Rocket as they snatch the wanted poster. Also Misty is running pretty fast for someone carrying a charred bike, but it's funny so I'll overlook it. I love how Team Rocket makes fun of each other while casually explaining their mission statement for the audience.

"Pokémon center? It's gigantic." Don't get used to it, Ash. Pokémon centers from here on out will be comparatively smaller, although that said this one is rather extravagant... They drove in. Officer Jenny, what the hell? Couldn't you have just gotten out and walked in? "We have a drive way you know." Nurse Joy, you're the voice of reason. Thank you for being one of the many redeeming factors of the episode. And we get to see how Pokémon Centers work! Awesome.

So in the first episode Misty chewed Ash out despite not knowing the situation, in this episode Officer Jenny chewed him out because of a misunderstanding, and now Nurse Joy is chewing him out for being irresponsible... The best part is, she's not wrong. I love Viridian's Joy, she's not taking any of this nonsense. I mean she called out Jenny, she called out Ash, and she told Ash that she'll take care of everything and that he just needs to stay out of the way.

Ash calls home and we get Delia being a good parent again! Yay! And we find out that lackluster training runs in the family. Apparently Ash's dad took four days to get to Viridian... It only took Ash a day on foot (and by stream, but that's beside the point). "You can do anything you set your mind to." Delia, I know you're just being a good parent but maybe you're getting his hopes a little too high. Also these first two episodes are strangely obsessed with having Delia make sure Ash is wearing clean underwear.

So on the pokémon center wall is a mural depicting Moltres, Zapdos, Articuno, and... Arcanine? Somethin's not quite right here.

Ash calls Oak next and instead of appearing on the phone/computer screen, the monitor he's shown on is the Arcanine part of the mural. That's kinda out of left field. Is that ramen boiling over a Bunsen burner? Oak is singing Ash's praise for getting to Viridian so soon... "When my grandson Gary said that you wouldn't have a single new pokemon by the time you got to Viridian City. I bet him a million dollars that he'd be wrong." Looks like Gary's a million dollars richer than before, and his ego is probably getting worse as well. Ash mistakes Articuno for Ho-Oh, although in his defense he's not going to see either of those for a while.

The dub replaced ramen with pizza... I feel like 4Kids has insulted my intelligence.

Misty shouts at Ash for what he did to her bike. Which is justified, actually given how much bikes cost. And she falls backwards because of the weight of the thing... Funny, although I'm confused as to why it only happened now. Nurse Joy brings pikachu back out, explains that her work is done and all that's left is for Pikachu to rest in the recovery room... When Officer Jenny starts using the intercom to warn them about Pokémon thieves, specifically Team Rocket.

"How dare they act like we're criminals..." I know James probably meant something along the lines of common criminals, but I mean they are criminals by definition. First instance of the motto! Feel free to say it along with them, I know I will. (although I won't type it)

So Team Rocket cuts the power supply, and we find out that the backup generator is a bunch of pikachu walking in circles on a treadmill... I'm going to suspend my disbelief and say that this is probably just perfectly ethical. There's really no point in arguing with something so cute. Emergency pokéball transfer system. Okay, it's good that they have that and I'm going to assume Jessie and James expected that which is why they initially cut the power.

And so a battle ensues where Ash and Misty use other people's pokémon to battle Team Rocket. Or it would have if Misty hadn't told Ash to get Pikachu and get out. Although considering Misty sends out Goldeen... Well, all it does is flop around uselessly. "...a water pokémon can't battle on land" Um, what about Slowpoke, Slowbro, Psyduck, or Seel. Ash runs with Pikachu and now we have Pikachu ex machina. So through Pikachu and kid power, Team Rocket is sent blasting off. Not again, because this is the first time it's happened but you get the idea. And the center is destroyed in the process.

Nurse Joy is in a rather good mood considering her workplace just blew up. We cut to Viridian Forest and learn that Misty has a fear of bugs and bug type pokémon. Ash throws a pokeball at Caterpie and we're left on the cliff hanger of will he catch it?

As an episode, I like it... Although I did prefer the first episode. This one would probably rank higher with me if it wasn't for Officer Jenny in the early bits. Pokérap and I'll see you next time for either episode 3 or one of the movies.

Godot

Dragon Tamer
AKA
Time Zone
Central Time
So back on Azurilland, between episodes two and three (if it had been reviewed before I left, it wasn't and I'm sorry) was Greek Myth synopses and reviews. If anyone remembers the last mythology review I did, it was Icarus (more accurately spelled Ikarus). Because I'll watch episode 3 tomorrow while workin' on something else, I figured why not bring these back.

Today's myth is Orpheus and Eurydice.

I'm going to assume (probably safely) that you're all at least somewhat familiar with Greek gods and their domains, if not entirely. Hades, Zeus, Hera, Persephone, you know the drill.

Our story opens with Orpheus, a demigod and son of Apollo, being gifted a lyre by his father. Orpheus was a skilled musician, and there was no one who could resist his lyre's beautiful sounds. Orpheus had recently fallen in love with and married a beautiful woman named Eurydice. Spoiler alert, this doesn't last. Eventually Eurydice died young, as most people in Greek Myths tend to do when they aren't the protagonist (and even some who are).

After Eurydice's passing, Orpheus had only played sad or melancholic music and made everyone share his grief... In other words, he was a total downer justifiably but still. Apollo, seeing his son's grief and hearing the unbearably sad music, had suggested that Orpheus go into the depths of the underworld and take Eurydice back. Yeah, the unfortunate implication here is that the Ancient Greeks saw women as trophies/property to be won, stolen, or taken back. Orpheus was promised the protection of the gods upon Olympus and so the trek began.

The first hurdle was riding the ferry of the dead, as Charon demanded payment for the ride. Fortunately Orpheus had at least one drachma on his person and payed the ferryman. The second obstacle was the mighty, three-headed, and very fluffy, Spot... I mean Kerberos (which basically translates to Spot or being equivalent to Fluffy, not so scary now huh?).

Orpheus played his lyre beautifully and the music charmed the massive good boy to sleep. With Kerberos asleep (Yes, I'm going to keep spelling it that way because it's closer to the original Greek) Orpheus made his way to Hades, the god he was already in the realm. (Yes this can be confusing, I'll use "the underworld" from here on out) He first met with Persephone, Hades' wife via kidnapping/pomegranate eating, whom he played his sad song on. Persephone would then call a meeting between Orpheus and Hades.

When Hades asked what he desired, Orpheus played his song once more... Presumably telling Hades about the tragedy of losing his wife early and desperately wanting her back. This struck a chord (Music puns are the key to any good retelling of Orpheus's story) with the God of the Underworld and he allowed Orpheus to pass. "But one condition," Hades had said, "You must not look behind you until you reach the surface". Sounds simple enough.

Orpheus had been told by Hades that his betrothed was to follow him out. But as he trekked back the way he came, he heard no footsteps behind him. He couldn't feel her breath. He couldn't smell her scent. He couldn't hear her voice. He'd thought that Hades, benevolent though he'd seemed, had tricked him. That he'd merely been walking back out of the underworld alone. Although he wasn't able to hear her footsteps or have any idea she was there, Eurydice had followed her husband silently. A mere couple feet from the exit, Orpheus gave into his doubt and turned around only to realize that she had been following him. But she was pulled back into the darkness.

Orpheus tried to go back for her, but unfortunately he couldn't enter the underworld again. Or at least not while alive. He mourned her for the rest of his life, never playing a jaunty tune ever again. One day he was heard by the maenads (women who worshiped Dionysus through ritualistic murder and substance abuse) who would decapitate him, the muses preserved his severed head so he could sing forever. Perhaps he and Eurydice met again in the underworld, reunited in death.

This myth is very depressing. Every myth has it's moral, or at least I would hope it does. This one's seems to be that you should honor your part of a bargain, lest the other half be held as well. Or something of that sort... If not Hades wouldn't lie to you, or life has its costs. Perhaps the point is just to tell a tragic story, and if that's the case they succeed. Honestly I want to think that they met up after death with Hades chastising Orpheus for his lack of trust while still allowing Orpheus and Eurydice to enjoy their reunion.

Godot

Dragon Tamer
AKA
Time Zone
Central Time
Continuing on in the vein of traditional posts in this thread (yes, three reviews is enough for me to say posting reviews is becoming an infrequent tradition or habit... It's at least a trend or pattern)

I'm feeling like stepping away from Pokémon for a little. Not because I'm afraid I'd be overly harsh on episode 3, but rather because I'd prefer for these reviews to not feel like Pokémon and Greek Myth are the only things in my wheelhouse. I'll edit in the actual review once I don't have to worry about Netflix, the Switch, and the PS4 fighting for bandwidth. Unfortunately this means I'm leaving this post with a hint: It's a spectacularly saccharine show with themes not too far from Pokémon specifically the power of friendship, although it does lack electrical rodents and cars.

We open with a book and fairy tale style narration. Which reminds me I should play Thousand Year Door agai... No, must focus on the review at hand. The narration tells us of two sisters who ruled over this fairy tale land together. Oh and did I mention they're horses? Well horned pegasi to be specific, but that's beside the point. "The eldest used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn" Um, Sure, "Unicorn" powers... Except soon we'll get the reveal that most unicorns don't have wings. "The younger brought out the moon to begin the night" If only the younger "unicorn" can move the moon then there are some rather catastrophic things that could happen with tides should she ever be in a bad mood for any reason.

Younger unicorn hated ponies for being Diurnal. And apparently because of this there was lashing out and lunar banishment to rival Monokuma's attempt at a space program. "Nightmare Moon" okay, I henceforth change my name to Coffee-loving Reviewer because that's the tone we're taking now. And the narration introduces the macguffin of the series. The narration shifts from one voice to another revealing that it was a fairy tale being read by Rave... Bubbl... Barbra Gordo... Penelope Spectr... This joke is getting less funny and I'd argue wasn't funny to begin with. It's a purple unicorn named Twilight Sparkle. And of course she's talking to herself trying to figure out where she's heard of the macguffins. Launching us right into the theme song. No, I'm not singing this one as I type... There are better songs in this series. It is a good theme song though, I won't deny it.

After the theme song, we establish that Twilight isn't a pony pony... Er, people person, I'm not going to do the pony's for people replacement I'll leave that to the show from here on out. If I continue this series, I might refer to secondary characters by name but for now just know that Twilight's making a mad dash to the Canterlot library. Oh, it's a play on Camelot how'd I miss that? Everyone meet the purple dragon named Spike, Twilight's sidekick. For someone living in a library, Twilight sure has trouble finding the one book she needs until Spike grabs it and is promptly pulled down to the ground by Twilight's magic.

Twilight is apparently the Princesses student and she has read an old myth about a "mare in the moon" and must inform the princess through note. Although she keeps using words that Spike, the baby dragon, can't spell. Spike is the voice of expositional reason for a brief moment, it tends to be his lot. Instant belch messaging is something I'm not sure whether to be impressed or disgusted by. Princess Celestia's advise basically amounts to "stop reading and socialize". Cut to the ride through the clouds to Ponyville. Twilight's a little disappointed but honestly if my mentor and boss wanted me to go out and make friends when I could be doing actual work I'd be just as disappointed. And considering Celestia's a literal goddess, maybe Twilight is right to be putting more stock into the content of those books.

Twilight greets a pink pony with balloons on her side, who promptly gasps and dashes away. We'll see that one again later, cut to apple orchard. And the owner of this orchard is a pony named Apple Jack... As in a reference to an alcoholic beverage involving cider. This is a kid show, what's with the strange alcohol reference? Of course she speaks with a southern accent and wears a cowgirl hat... Dang Texas stereotypes. She has an absurdly large family, each named after a type of apple or treat that can be made with apples. They really went all out on the apple theme here.

Spike mentions that someone named rainbow dash is in charge of cloud control. No, that's not a typo. Unfortunately Twilight doesn't see any pegasi overhead until... She get crashed into and knocked down into the mud by a, now mud covered, rainbow maned pegasus. Take a wild guess what her name is. Clouds don't work that way and this is the one and only time I'll object to it. Rainbow Dash is kind of a show off, which she proves by showing how quickly she can remove clouds. So far we've met the nerd of the group, the jock, and the business oriented individual.

In charge of decorations for the upcoming festival is a white pony with a purple mane. Look, if you have objections to absurd horse colors I'm not sure what to tell you. And frankly if that's your objection, there's so much magic that I doubt absurd horse colors matter. And it seems the resident dragon has a crush on her. This is Rarity, and she's kind of the fashionista of the group... Being sort of one note in this episode makes her come across as a little more shallow than she'll later be. One makeover montage later we hear more about Rarity's obsession with fashion.

So the last stop on the list is to make sure the music's in order... And the source of music is whistling birds. Conducted by a tan pony with a pink mane and a picture of butterflies on her side. This soft spoken individual is Fluttershy. Look, this episode's a two parter so I'll cover introductions in this half of the review and post the other half tomorrow. Twilight manages to catch her by surprise, not a difficult feat considering Fluttershy was facing away from the path. Fluttershy, true to her name, is really nervous in her introduction to Twilight... And being fascinated with nature, she notices Spike and immediately becomes somewhat less shy.

After Twilight makes excuses to get away from Fluttershy, and slams a door in her face, Spike calls her out for being rude. The lights inside the library are all off, Twilight wonders where the light switch is. And then the lights turn on revealing a surprise party. And we finally see the pink one again, I told you she'd be back. Her name is Pinkie Pie and if you couldn't tell from before she's got a tendency to go bouncing off the walls with boundless energy. I can relate, when I'm really excited about something I practically start talking and don't shut up. She's also the most social of the group.

Twilight absentmindedly pours hot sauce into the punch before taking a sip. And it turns out it's so spicy that she channels her inner rapidash. The noise and introductions, and separation from the knowledge she believes will help her stop Nightmare Moon, proves to be a little more than Twilight can handle. More pony culture exposition from Spike and more ominous foreshadowing from Twilight. So the ponies gather in a building with a massive skylight just to watch the sun rise. And surprise, surprise Princess Celestia's (the person who can move the sun) is a no show. And to top it off Nightmare Moon escaped from the moon as foreshadowed by Twilight earlier. Also Celestia imprisoned her own sister in the moon for one thousand years... There are no words for how cruel that is. I mean sensory deprivation and isolation in unison is evil to begin with, but doing so within the moon... Jeez. And now we get the evil plot: Nightmare Moon is going to plunge the world into eternal Darkness... I mean night. And that ends part one.

Overall I give the first part of the Pilot episode 6.5/10: It's certainly not bad, but the characters are more one note versions of themselves and I get why, it's the first half of a pilot with several protagonists so introductions take precedence over actual fleshed out personality and the like. Teen Titans would have suffered the same problem if that series hadn't started with the protagonists already being a team.

Last edited:
Read the greek myth and really enjoyed the way you told it. I had heard it and recalled it vaguely, but I like the humor and puns that go with it. Also not sure what the moral was, except maybe he should have had more faith in his wife and in Hades.

Also, I'd guess you're talking about Digimon but won't get my hopes up just in case (I liked that anime a lot :p)

Godot

Dragon Tamer
AKA
Time Zone
Central Time
Edited the previous post, by the way. Also I get ya, I just wanted to post a quick review of something that's not entirely new to me. Glad you liked the Greek Myth summary. Might do more, might go so far as to go for Norse or Egyptian next time I need filler though. Unfortunately I've never really watched Digimon and while that will inevitably change in the future I feel like the central theme of Pokemon (outside of merchandising) is friendship... Which is also the central theme of My Little Pony (Again outside of merchandising which is the real, and cynical, reason both shows exist)

Oof I meant to say I enjoyed your humor and your puns when reading the myth. Don't think that was clear in my post. And ah, lol. I enjoyed the MLP series, but yeah, should probably not be taken too seriously or logically lmao. Enjoyed your narrarion.

Godot

Dragon Tamer
AKA
Time Zone
Central Time
Because I can't leave a pilot half reviewed... I mean, I can but I prefer not to.
Part two opens with a recap of part 1, if you read the previous review then like me you'll skip the recap much like I am. If you haven't read the previous one (or watched the previous episode) I recommend scrolling back up for a moment. After the recap we open with the exact last scene of the previous part. Unfortunately after being told to seize Nightmare Moon, she zaps the guards and then goes about the process of turning into mist and floating out... Hate to say it, but if she could do that all along there's no way arresting her would have worked had she not zapped the guards. Unfortunately Twilight's first instinct is to put Spike to bed. Not like there's a dangerous, possibly insane, literal goddess on the loose or anything.

Exposition related arguing. Nice. Right, so Rainbow's clearly annoyed that Twilight seemed to know about Nightmare Moon's return and won't stop talking to herself about macguffins. Which admittedly is rather suspicious seeming. Applejack tries to reign her in, I swear that pun wasn't intentional. Believing (rather illogically) that Twilight's not a spy. I swear every time Applejack speaks I expect to hear a bad mispronunciation of some Spanish word because the accent reminds me of Peggy Hill. So Twilight launches into a speech about how she read all about the legend and took it at face value (because in a world with literal gods controlling the sun and moon, that's what you usually do). Pinkie randomly finds the book mentioning the macguffins and it turns out it was clearly labeled under E... Am I expected to think that someone who practically (and probably literally) lives in a library is unfamiliar with the organization style that the libraries in this universe use? I mean if I lived in a library IRL, I think I'd get rather well aquainted with the Dewey Decimal System. Putting aside how fictional libraries seem to organize by title rather than author name.

While Twilight is busy reading exposition from the book for the rest of the group, they're being spied on by Nightmare Moon in mist form so that she can glean the same information... Which she should already know given her identity. "We're sticking to you like caramel on a candy apple"... Apple related metaphors? Really? Please tell me that's the first and last one I'll have to hear this episode. So Rarity doesn't like the forest on the outskirts of Ponyville because it's ugly. And according to Applejack it's "not natural" a little elaboration would be nice, but all we get is Rainbow using the tried and true "nobody knows" line... Which just serves as a means to intentionally scare the others and causing them to back up.

Then we get a random rock slide, from which Rainbow and Fluttershy have to save the rest of the group. Twilight ends up dangling off the edge of a cliff, Applejack catches her and then immediately advises her to let go. Granted that the audience knows Applejack can see something just off screen, but Twilight couldn't know that. This will be brought up again later, just make note of it. Turns out what Applejack noticed was Fluttershy and Rainbow. After everyone's safely on the ground, we see Nightmare Moon's magic zipping toward a manticore shaped shadow. Rainbow, being incredibly full of herself this episode, recaps how she and Fluttershy just saved everyone for everyone that was there.

Suddenly the literally foreshadowed manticore lunges at them. And contrary to how you'd expect things to play out, they actually try to fight the thing first. Rarity kicks it, Applejack tries her best and gets launched back, and Rainbow gets smacked with the broadside of its scorpion tail... Considering how lethal a manticore's sting can be, she's lucky it didn't sting her. Meanwhile Fluttershy is trying, rather ineffectively I might add, to get the party's attention. Only shouting as everyone starts charging at the manticore. Just a little over six minutes in and Fluttershy's removing a thorn from the manticore's paw... I get that Androcles' Lion is a commonly known fable, but isn't this a little on the nose? The manticore roars, for no other reason than to mess with the audience, and then proceeds to lick Fluttershy's face in the least cat-like display of gratitude. "Aw you're just a little old baby kitty aren't you?" That baby kitty has a scorpion's tail, bat wings, and razor sharp teeth. Don't try this with actual lions, you'll probably be eaten for your trouble.

It's revealed that Nightmare Moon's magic created the thorn, and then it makes the trees in the forest scarier... For someone who can control the moon, she sure is loathe to actually cause them harm herself. Like what, since the manticore didn't kill them you're going to scare them into retreating? As someone who knows several Dungeon Masters, if a manticore doesn't have your adventuring party running for the hills trees with creepy faces on them aren't going to fare much better. As with how the manticore demonstrated Fluttershy's connection to the natural world, these trees serve to show us Pinkie can laugh at absolutely anything. Expository singing (honestly this is sort of something the show constantly does, if that's a deal breaker I'm sorry) and complaining from the other characters about said random musical number. It's not bad, although the rest of the party didn't want it. Bards man, just bards. (I play bards often, and Pinkie is a good example of a standard support bard)

So now it's Rarity's turn for the spotlight. And the thing she's supposed to deal with is a sea serpent with hair. His name doesn't matter at the moment, but what does matter is that he's upset because his mustache is asymmetrical. A fact that no one but Rarity and the sea monster himself seems to care about. Rarity takes one of his scales and cuts her tail, after she'd just complained about the manticore ruining her mane earlier. Which causes the sea serpent to faint. And so we come to a broken bridge in front of the destination, which happens to be useful for Rainbow's "talent/trait" test. So playing on Rainbow's narcissism and obsession with a team of pegasi called the "wonderbolts", the magic creates a team called the "shadowbolts" to tempt Rainbow away from fixing the bridge. And she practically agrees to join the "shadowbolts" (these names are incredibly dumb, but so are several actual sports team names) when actually forced to choose between fame and friendship Rainbow initially seems to choose fame. And then ultimately chooses the party.

Now for the reveal: the macguffins are... Rocks, just really spherical rocks. "When the five are present, the sixth element will be revealed" This prophecy sounds like the oracle of Delphi decided to take a day off and let one of the interns come up with something. Much like what I'd expect from Raven, Twilight sends her friends out of the room so she can focus on using magic. But instead Nightmare Moon takes the macguffins and Twilight, sending everyone into a panic. Twilight looks like she's going to charge and zap Nightmare Moon with magic, but is actually running and teleporting behind her. Charging the stones with magic sends Twilight flying backward while Nightmare Moon reacts in fear... Only to smash the stones to pieces. Sudden "you had the macguffin inside you all along" reveal, cliche but interesting considering that these macguffins are positive personality traits. So apparently that cliff hanging moment represents honesty, trust may be more applicable here because Twilight was kind of blindly trusting Applejack at the time. Helping a dangerous creature that seemingly wants to eat you is representative of kindness. Laughter doesn't fit with the other two, but I guess if something had to not make sense Pinkie's the clear choice. "Comforted the serpent with a meaningful gift" Meaningful to her and the serpent, anyway, and as explained before the tail and the mustache would both have grown back so it's kind of pointless. But this is (misplaced) generosity. Rainbow represents loyalty... She was willing to join up with a non-existent team for fame without hearing the stipulations and only after hearing the requirements changed her mind. So that's five macguffins for five protagonist, which logically means the sixth would be knowledge for Twilight because she's obsessed with it, right? "The element of Magic"... Okay, one element belonging to Pinkie being inconsistent with the rest is relatively understandable but two with the second belong to Twilight is a little weird. Or it would be if magic in this instance wasn't supposed to be a synonym for friendship (which it usually isn't). And what used to be stones become jewelry that just happen to resemble the pictures on their sides which are apparently called "cutie marks"? That's more than a little contrived.

And suddenly Celestia appears for no reason. And Celestia basically explains that this was all part of the plan. Yeah, sure, her sister's been causing mass hysteria and trying to get Twilight and the others killed or separated and that's all part of the plan. "I saw the signs of Nightmare Moon's return and I knew it was you, who had the magic inside to defeat her"... Let me get this straight, the goddess that controls the sun saw the signs of her sister's return and her evil goals and basically decided to do nothing and leave it up to six mortals. And now I introduce you to a running theme of villains being redeemed at the end of their arc. Celestia spells it out for the audience that Nightmare Moon or Princess Luna is her sister, and it somehow takes the entire party by surprise (despite the fact that Twilight could have made an educated guess given her mentor's abilities). Cue celebration for no real reason other than Pinkie having an obsession with parties.

As two-parters go this wasn't terrible, and this part is actually sorta better than the first part. Overall it's a decent start to a kids' show. Don't expect regular reviews of this one though. Between this and pokemon, I'd be liable to get cavities from how saccharine both are.