Here to Make Some Trainer Friends!

Gigarchomp99

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
IST (GMT+5:30)
IGN
Gargee
Hey everyone, I'm Gargee, from India, and I'm here because literally no one I know irl plays any of the Pokemon games lol. I'd decided to join the community when I'd saved up enough for a Switch Online membership, but then I got too impatient so here I am (still saving up lol)!

A bit about me:
- My first game was LeafGreen when I was 8 yrs old and since then I've played almost every Gen (and I use to lurk around the old Marriland.com a lot for help because I was too young to figure out some things in the games by myself)
- I'm terrible at competitive battling lol. Only tried it once in Gen4 but I was so bad at it I gave up. Might give it a try once again now that I'm older so if I can get any guidance that would be great
- My favorite thing to do is breed Aprimons with good IVs and egg moves!
- Unrelated but I have two cats!

Looking forward to making new friends! :)

gylfie

you shouldn't have listened
Hey nice to meet ya!
There are definitely a few battlers here and I bet they would love to to give you a hand. @Typhlosion and @Anthrix come to mind

I don’t have any cats but I’m friends with the one that lives on the same floor as me in my apartment building! Do you have....pictures of your cats 👀

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Hey everyone, I'm Gargee, from India, and I'm here because literally no one I know irl plays any of the Pokemon games lol. I'd decided to join the community when I'd saved up enough for a Switch Online membership, but then I got too impatient so here I am (still saving up lol)!

A bit about me:
- My first game was LeafGreen when I was 8 yrs old and since then I've played almost every Gen (and I use to lurk around the old Marriland.com a lot for help because I was too young to figure out some things in the games by myself)
- I'm terrible at competitive battling lol. Only tried it once in Gen4 but I was so bad at it I gave up. Might give it a try once again now that I'm older so if I can get any guidance that would be great
- My favorite thing to do is breed Aprimons with good IVs and egg moves!
- Unrelated but I have two cats!

Looking forward to making new friends! :)
Hey nice to meet ya!
There are definitely a few battlers here and I bet they would love to to give you a hand. @Typhlosion and @Anthrix come to mind

I don’t have any cats but I’m friends with the one that lives on the same floor as me in my apartment building! Do you have....pictures of your cats 👀
Thanks for the ping, Megan :P

Hi, Gargee! Welcome to the forums! It's always nice to meet someone else who's interested in competitive battling. You can check out our subforum to find a couple resources and start asking any questions you may have. I noticed that you've joined our Discord, too, and the competitive battling channel there is a great way to reach out for some quick help. My PMs are always open too!

I've done a couple breeding projects in my time but I admire people who really get into it. What are some of the Aprimons you're proudest of?

Cats are good and cat pictures are good 👀

Gigarchomp99

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
IGN
Gargee
Hi @gylfie and @Typhlosion (did I tag you guys right? I'm new to this thing), great to meet you!

I'm gonna start with competitive battling right from the very start, so I'll go to the subforum first, thanks for the link! I'm too much of a newbie so I don't have any questions yet, but it's really nice to know there's a place to ask them whenever any arise.

None of my Aprimons are bred competitively, I just breed them for the challenge of getting as many IVs and egg moves on them as I can, but I'd love to start thinking of breeding mons that other people could use competitively! I think the ones I'm proudest of are my Moon Ball Alolan Vulpix (it just looks so cool) and my Beast Ball Riolu and Moon Ball Zorua (because it was just so hard to breed a female every time in Zorua's case, and evolve all the Riolu into Lucario).

@gylfie I noticed you're into art! So am I! Just thought I'd point that out :P Also what is your cat friend's name?

About the kitty pictures,,, do I just post them here or is there a specific subforum I should post them on? 👀

gylfie

you shouldn't have listened
yup, the tag worked just fine :-)

Hey, always nice to find an art buddy! :D I've started hosting drawpile sessions occasionally, so if you're interested, you can check that out here, or grab the drawpile role in #rules-and-info on the discord! Not sure when the next session will be, but hopefully it'll be soon-ish.

My cat fiend's name is Mabel and she's an adorable lil calico <3
We have a picture thread you can post em in, if you'd like!

AndyBananny

Rookie Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Hi Gargee, it's nice to meet you. I'm Andy.

Are the majority of people in India techno savy? I only ask because most YouTube "How To's" I watch about cell phones or gaming are usually done by someone from India. They're pretty sharp and quite knowledgeable.

I'm particularly not a big cat person myself. My mom has two female adult cats; both of which are currently in heat. We also have two kittens leftover from the one's five kitten litter.

Don't get me wrong. Not all cats are bad. There are exceptions. Just your typical cat. Those are the worst.

As for Pokemon. I'd like to consider myself competitive, but things change so rapidly anymore, and it's not so much how good a mon is, but how well they work together as a team nowadays. But I do love a good battle, and am always up for trades.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your time here, Gargee. I think you'll find the community enjoyable.

Gigarchomp99

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
IGN
Gargee
yup, the tag worked just fine :-)

Hey, always nice to find an art buddy! :D I've started hosting drawpile sessions occasionally, so if you're interested, you can check that out here, or grab the drawpile role in #rules-and-info on the discord! Not sure when the next session will be, but hopefully it'll be soon-ish.

My cat fiend's name is Mabel and she's an adorable lil calico <3
We have a picture thread you can post em in, if you'd like!
I saw your art on your thread, it's stunning! I love your style(s)! I'm nowhere close to that good but your art is so beautiful I think it's already inspiring me to start drawing again. :D The Drawpile thing sounds so cool too, I love what you guys made last time with the betas, it's so cute. Although I don't understand what picking roles is and how it works on Discord. Could you please explain that part?

Say hi to Mabel for me! My first cat ever was a calico named Maute, so I have a special soft spot in my heart for those.

Hi Gargee, it's nice to meet you. I'm Andy.

Are the majority of people in India techno savy? I only ask because most YouTube "How To's" I watch about cell phones or gaming are usually done by someone from India. They're pretty sharp and quite knowledgeable.

I'm particularly not a big cat person myself. My mom has two female adult cats; both of which are currently in heat. We also have two kittens leftover from the one's five kitten litter.

Don't get me wrong. Not all cats are bad. There are exceptions. Just your typical cat. Those are the worst.

As for Pokemon. I'd like to consider myself competitive, but things change so rapidly anymore, and it's not so much how good a mon is, but how well they work together as a team nowadays. But I do love a good battle, and am always up for trades.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your time here, Gargee. I think you'll find the community enjoyable.
Hi Andy, great to meet you too!

Well, it's true that a lot of Indians end up as STEM majors, but me and my friends are all Arts & Humanities kids, so I personally don't know many exceptionally tech savvy people. But now that you mention it, I guess a lot of people from India not only end up as tech YouTubers, but also with posts at Big Tech companies all over the world. India gives a lot of importance to sciences in education (guess it's all about the money when you're a third world country), so sometimes I kind of wish the same amount of importance is given to the arts, but ehh, we'll get there someday.

Also, noted that you don't like cats. I'll make sure to post pix of mine in the thread @gylfie mentioned. :P Although I think you'd be glad to know that both my cats are sterilized, so I don't have to bother with litters and heats. ^^

I feel you so much on the competitive part. I love fixing up a good competitive 'mon, but when it comes to picking a team, I just end up putting together all the Pokemon I like instead of focusing on how well they'd go together. Hopefully I'll learn to do that, too. I love trading, especially Aprimons, but unfortunately I only have HOME. :( If you wanna trade, you can see if there's anything you'd like from what I have here.

Thank you guys for such a warm welcome. I'm sure I'll enjoy my stay!

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Hi @gylfie and @Typhlosion (did I tag you guys right? I'm new to this thing), great to meet you!

I'm gonna start with competitive battling right from the very start, so I'll go to the subforum first, thanks for the link! I'm too much of a newbie so I don't have any questions yet, but it's really nice to know there's a place to ask them whenever any arise.

None of my Aprimons are bred competitively, I just breed them for the challenge of getting as many IVs and egg moves on them as I can, but I'd love to start thinking of breeding mons that other people could use competitively! I think the ones I'm proudest of are my Moon Ball Alolan Vulpix (it just looks so cool) and my Beast Ball Riolu and Moon Ball Zorua (because it was just so hard to breed a female every time in Zorua's case, and evolve all the Riolu into Lucario).

@gylfie I noticed you're into art! So am I! Just thought I'd point that out :P Also what is your cat friend's name?

About the kitty pictures,,, do I just post them here or is there a specific subforum I should post them on? 👀
Doesn't matter why you're breeding them, it's still cool! Although, if you breed them for good IVs and Egg moves, you may be well on your way to breeding Pokemon as it is! HeartGold was my first game and Johto is my favorite region so I love the idea of putting as many Pokemon in Apricorn Balls as possible!

Gigarchomp99

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
IGN
Gargee
Doesn't matter why you're breeding them, it's still cool! Although, if you breed them for good IVs and Egg moves, you may be well on your way to breeding Pokemon as it is! HeartGold was my first game and Johto is my favorite region so I love the idea of putting as many Pokemon in Apricorn Balls as possible!
Glad to know I'm on the right path to breeding competitive 'mons! I played SoulSilver, and Johto is really beautiful. I loved all the added features. It was especially great that you could obtain as many Apricorn Balls as you wanted, I really miss that. :P

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Yeah, I think all you'd have left to worry about is Natures and getting a good Ability. SwSh has more features than ever to customize those anyway.

HGSS are my favorite games in the series and I'd also say they're objectively some of the best in the series. I was happy to see Apricorn Balls come back in Alola.

Gigarchomp99

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
IGN
Gargee
Yeah, I think all you'd have left to worry about is Natures and getting a good Ability. SwSh has more features than ever to customize those anyway.

HGSS are my favorite games in the series and I'd also say they're objectively some of the best in the series. I was happy to see Apricorn Balls come back in Alola.
I do try to get in a good Nature whenever I can (yay for Everstones!) but it's confusing because different movesets on the same Pokémon go with different Natures. (I mean, for example, some people would like their physical sweeper Cinderace to be Jolly, while some like 'em Adamant.)

Still haven't figured out how to get Hidden Abilities in Sw/Sh, nor do I know if there's any held item that helps transfer the Abilities. Will get to research on that.

I'm so glad to know that your favorite was Gen4 because so was mine, although I'm partial to Platinum instead of HGSS. Remember the "seals" we put on Pokéballs that caused those cool effects when thrown? I bet that would give a tough competition to Apricorn balls. :P

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I have no idea about finding Hidden Abilities. I know the Ability Capsule works for standard Abilities but idk about Hidden ones. I haven't played SwSh.

Platinum is the game I'd most like to play out of all the ones that I haven't yet. I remember that the seals were really cool, but I became frustrated that they had to be removed every time you used the PC, so I haven't applied them in quite a long time.

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Waves.

Acquires Hidden Abilities through Max Raids. Varies on which raids give them out (if any). For example:
- Sableye :sableye:: Common Den 35, but not Rare Dens 47 or 81.
- Maractus :maractus:: None in the base game.
- Darmanitan :galariandarmanitan:: All common and rare dens.
- Hitmonchan :hitmonchan: / Hitmonlee :hitmonlee:: None in the base game.
- Hitmontop :hitmontop:: Common Den 1 (its only den, the same as the two above).
- Scrafty :scrafty:: Rare Den 63, but not Rare Den 48 or Common Den 1.

(Looked solely at base game raids. Labeled dens by Serebii's numbering. Notes these to only be a chance. Guaranteed Hidden Abilities in Isle of Armor rare dens.)

Cannot influence the odds of passing a Hidden Ability. Favors the female Pokemon's ability (60% chance for Hidden, 80% chance for normal).

Gigarchomp99

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
IGN
Gargee
Waves.

Acquires Hidden Abilities through Max Raids. Varies on which raids give them out (if any). For example:
- Sableye :sableye:: Common Den 35, but not Rare Dens 47 or 81.
- Maractus :maractus:: None in the base game.
- Darmanitan :galariandarmanitan:: All common and rare dens.
- Hitmonchan :hitmonchan: / Hitmonlee :hitmonlee:: None in the base game.
- Hitmontop :hitmontop:: Common Den 1 (its only den, the same as the two above).
- Scrafty :scrafty:: Rare Den 63, but not Rare Den 48 or Common Den 1.

(Looked solely at base game raids. Labeled dens by Serebii's numbering. Notes these to only be a chance. Guaranteed Hidden Abilities in Isle of Armor rare dens.)

Cannot influence the odds of passing a Hidden Ability. Favors the female Pokemon's ability (60% chance for Hidden, 80% chance for normal).
Oh wow, I had no idea. This is so helpful. Thanks so much!! :lolazurill:

Vaporeon

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
I know I've already talked to you briefly regarding some trades, but I wanted to say welcome anyways.....so welcome! LeafGreen was a good game to start with. I still have FireRed, and these versions of Kanto were my favorites to have a journey through.

Seeing how you're a fan of breeding, I'll probably see you around the trade forums. So catch ya later!

Gigarchomp99

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
IGN
Gargee
I know I've already talked to you briefly regarding some trades, but I wanted to say welcome anyways.....so welcome! LeafGreen was a good game to start with. I still have FireRed, and these versions of Kanto were my favorites to have a journey through.

Seeing how you're a fan of breeding, I'll probably see you around the trade forums. So catch ya later!
Thanks! :) FRLG was my first experience of Pokemon as well as Kanto, so it'll always be my favorite version as well. And yes, I have a feeling that our paths are gonna cross a few more times in the future haha.

Late response, but welcome to the forums! Have a good look around and enjoy your stay!
Thank you, I will! Also forgive the question, but 5 years ago I used to lurk around the old Marriland.com for competitive advice, and there was a Rate My Team subforum and I think there was an 'Anthrix' that used to rate many of those teams. I think he had a Volkner avatar if I remember right. Seeing as how you're into competitive battling as well, would you perchance be the same Anthrix? (Sorry if I'm mistaken or if this is rude, I just had to ask.)

Anthrix

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
I didn't have the Volkner avatar (someone else had that, I will probably get shot for not remembering!) but I am the guy that had nearly 6k posts only in the Competitive forum... Yeah I posted too much :(.

Pretty sure my avatar was a really, really scratchy thing I drew badly on a graphics tablet...

I hope I was helpful though, and I'm always free to help out. I've not touched Smogon's metagame for the best part of 5 years, as I'm more into VGC at the moment, but there's always general advice that applies to Pokémon.

Gigarchomp99

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
IGN
Gargee
I didn't have the Volkner avatar (someone else had that, I will probably get shot for not remembering!) but I am the guy that had nearly 6k posts only in the Competitive forum... Yeah I posted too much :(.

Pretty sure my avatar was a really, really scratchy thing I drew badly on a graphics tablet...

I hope I was helpful though, and I'm always free to help out. I've not touched Smogon's metagame for the best part of 5 years, as I'm more into VGC at the moment, but there's always general advice that applies to Pokémon.
Ooh then I was right! So technically I've known you for 5 years haha. I was never really good enough for VGC or anything, but I remember your advice helped me in defeating my two irl friends multiple times. It's so cool that I finally can actually say thank-you to you about that. Also, now I'm really curious who the Volkner person was lol, because I remember reading a ton of their posts, too. So thank you to them, too, if they ever come across this. :P

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben

Ooh then I was right! So technically I've known you for 5 years haha. I was never really good enough for VGC or anything, but I remember your advice helped me in defeating my two irl friends multiple times. It's so cool that I finally can actually say thank-you to you about that. Also, now I'm really curious who the Volkner person was lol, because I remember reading a ton of their posts, too. So thank you to them, too, if they ever come across this. :P
It was probably a guy named Brett who went by Volkner for a while. He used to be quite into competitive battling as well so it wouldn't surprise me if you saw many of his posts in that subforum.