How do you deal with negative feelings?

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Henlo everyone~

I hope you're all doing well, and I'm sorry if this is a somewhat sad thread!

First of all have a cup of tea

So we all have our struggles and problems that can sometimes get a little too overwhelming and cause negative feelings that are hard to cope with. No matter what happens, we're strong and we usually have our own ways to get through those times. When I say negative feelings it can be anything from feelings of hopelessness and sadness to severe depression, or any other issue that each person is going through. I'd like to know, if that's ok, how you deal with these feelings. What helps you stay strong, and how you cope. Feel free to share c:

Last edited:

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I distract myself, or I brood over it until it becomes too exhausting to think about, then I think about something else.

I used to talk to other people about my problems, but it got so tiring having certain people in my life pretend not to hear/understand/remember what I said, and others not caring at all, that I've pretty much given up.

Last edited:

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
i try to think about something else

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
Yeah, I generally try to forget about it unless that becomes impossible... Not the best way to deal with stress, admittedly which sucks because that's the negative emotion I experience most often.

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Well I like to think I try the most optimistic approach for most hopeless situations and try my best after it has sunk in to handle it appropriately.

Though when the nauseating feeling of hopelessness from a hard situation sets in, I tend to try to clear my mind as much as I can. Prioritise what’s important and try to organise my thoughts. Organised thoughts really do help me handle negetive feelings a lot better

Last edited:

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
I'll tell someone that I'm not feeling okay and talk about why so I can figure out what's bothering me. Then I'll keep myself distracted and focus on positives.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I distract myself, or I brood over it until it becomes too exhausting to think about, then I think about something else.

I used to talk to other people about my problems, but it got so tiring having certain people in my life pretend not to hear/understand/remember what I said, and others not caring at all, that I've pretty much given up.
that's something I often do too, it can get very exhausting.
I'm sorry that things are this way, but I think you should never give up on finding someone that cares. Talking about the negative feelings is very important after all, cause if those emotions build up it can get very draining and difficult to keep them inside. If anything, i'd be more than happy to lend an ear c: though I understand if it's your friends and family that you'd want to talk to!

i try to think about something else
Yeah, I generally try to forget about it unless that becomes impossible... Not the best way to deal with stress, admittedly which sucks because that's the negative emotion I experience most often.

I try to do that a lot too, but i think whatever it is, it often comes to bother me again at some point, if i don't deal with it somehow. :faintedazurill:

Well I like to think I try the most optimistic approach for most hopeless situations and try my best after it has sunk in to handle it appropriately.

Though when the nauseating feeling of hopelessness and struggle from a hard situation sets in, I tend to try to clear my mind as much as I can. Priorities what’s important and try to organise my thoughts. Organised thoughts really do help me handle negetive feelings a lot better
that's very nice to hear, trying to look at the situation from a more practical point of view also helps in this manner I believe!

act on them
in any way?

I'll tell someone that I'm not feeling okay and talk about why so I can figure out what's bothering me. Then I'll keep myself distracted and focus on positives.

that honestly sounds like a very healthy way to cope!

Last edited:

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
Yeah, I know very well that what I do to deal with stress (and other negative emotions) doesn't actually work. But I don't like thinking about the causes of stress, and generally don't like admitting that I need help or need to talk about the things that stress me out. I'm stubborn and dead-set on trying to solve such problems on my own. Which more often than not leads to lashing out at my parents, because trying not to think about what's stressing me out only succeeds in bottling it up.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Yeah, I know very well that what I do to deal with stress (and other negative emotions) doesn't actually work. But I don't like thinking about the causes of stress, and generally don't like admitting that I need help or need to talk about the things that stress me out. I'm stubborn and dead-set on trying to solve such problems on my own. Which more often than not leads to lashing out at my parents, because trying not to think about what's stressing me out only succeeds in bottling it up.
I can understand this, I'm definitely not judging you! It's not easy to talk about what bothers us, for me I feel that it's like I'm revealing my weakness, in a way. But I certainly hope that you'll slowly learn to open up more, even if it's just to one person you trust, talking alone can be very therapeutic, even if the other person doesn't have any advice to offer.

Last edited:

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
This depends A LOT on the type of stress I'm experiencing. If it's work stress, I take a minute to be upset at whatever situation is causing the problem, then I do my best to focus on one task at a time because freezing up will only put me further behind.

When it comes to more general life negative feelings, a lot of the time I just cry it out. I'll also watch something funny/do something fun to get my mind off of it. Lately I also vent to my boyfriend basically any time something upsets me, and that honestly helps a lot. I also vent to my best friend some, but that's much more dependent on what I'm upset about haha.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
This depends A LOT on the type of stress I'm experiencing. If it's work stress, I take a minute to be upset at whatever situation is causing the problem, then I do my best to focus on one task at a time because freezing up will only put me further behind.

When it comes to more general life negative feelings, a lot of the time I just cry it out. I'll also watch something funny/do something fun to get my mind off of it. Lately I also vent to my boyfriend basically any time something upsets me, and that honestly helps a lot. I also vent to my best friend some, but that's much more dependent on what I'm upset about haha.
Your ways sound very healthy and mature as well! Crying can be painful at that moment, but it also helps release the built up emotions, so it's a good thing to let yourself do that. I do it too when the feelings get overwhelming, it's something we can't help after all. It's also very nice to hear that you have people to talk to, i think being able to share our thoughts with the ones close to us is a scary (at least at the beginning) and beautiful thing!

Last edited:

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I usually go outside and take a walk. It helps clear my mind and I can get some activity in.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I usually go outside and take a walk. It helps clear my mind and I can get some activity in.
I think that's a very good way to not let the emotions take over!

Last edited:

smoky

afterglow
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i have a really negative mindset so negative feelings happen almost 24/7 for me. crying while listening to music is a go-to for me. music helps me cope with anything i'm feeling. having music that i can vibe with helps me stop myself from doing something life-threatening. i can get really annoying when i talk about her and generally talk about her a lot when music is brought up, but taylor swift has always helped. i've never felt worse than i do rn, but her music helps me force myself to stay alive. i honestly don't know what i'd do without her

venting to friends helps too. i really need to see my school counselor eventually so i can get a lot of my issues sorted out, but i think another plus would be having someone with actual knowledge on mental health at my disposal who i can vent to

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i get very explosive which i hate myself for. but i feel like i CANNOT be upset without talking to someone about it, i dont like going public about it but i WILL go to a close friend to share my feelings when i'm down. i can be such a pill or even toxic/****ty when i'm in a negative mindset. it makes me do things i regret so i've been working on having more control over it. the bright side is that it always blows over very very quickly and no matter how awful i feel, i can always stand up and overcome it and feel much better in the span of a few hours or even a few minutes. it is wild to experience but i'm at least thankful i can just breathe, cry, shake it off, and move on feeling cheery and positive about the future.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
My anger always goes away pretty quickly. How I handle it depends on my mood. If I'm already in a bad mood, I can get pretty close to exploding. If I'm in a more decent mood, I can shake it off by listening to music or distracting myself, or just talk to a friend because talking always makes me feel better.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i have a really negative mindset so negative feelings happen almost 24/7 for me. crying while listening to music is a go-to for me. music helps me cope with anything i'm feeling. having music that i can vibe with helps me stop myself from doing something life-threatening. i can get really annoying when i talk about her and generally talk about her a lot when music is brought up, but taylor swift has always helped. i've never felt worse than i do rn, but her music helps me force myself to stay alive. i honestly don't know what i'd do without her

venting to friends helps too. i really need to see my school counselor eventually so i can get a lot of my issues sorted out, but i think another plus would be having someone with actual knowledge on mental health at my disposal who i can vent to
i'm really sorry to hear that you struggle with such feelings on such a regular basis. It's good that you have found a healthy way to cope with them and don't do anything dangerous, it's very brave, you're a strong person. Venting to friends can be a great outlet, so it's nice to hear that you can do that as well.

I definitely agree with you that talking to someone with actual knowledge on mental health (a professional) would be the best way to get some proper guidance and useful advice. They'll help you understand what you're going through and how you can get through it. You deserve the support.

i get very explosive which i hate myself for. but i feel like i CANNOT be upset without talking to someone about it, i dont like going public about it but i WILL go to a close friend to share my feelings when i'm down. i can be such a pill or even toxic/****ty when i'm in a negative mindset. it makes me do things i regret so i've been working on having more control over it. the bright side is that it always blows over very very quickly and no matter how awful i feel, i can always stand up and overcome it and feel much better in the span of a few hours or even a few minutes. it is wild to experience but i'm at least thankful i can just breathe, cry, shake it off, and move on feeling cheery and positive about the future.
I feel like i can relate to this a lot...I find it very hard to control myself when i'm overwhelmed by negative emotions, it's just like an explosion really. I try my best to bottle it up, so it won't affect my relationships with other people, but at the same time i believe that we should always be honest about how we feel, especially to the ones we love.

I try to practice mindfulness in those cases, and i often find that it helps me be more "in control". i think that you might benefit from this method as well. It's also a method that professionals often recommend.

here and here
you can find more info, in case you'd like to check it out! ^^

My anger always goes away pretty quickly. How I handle it depends on my mood. If I'm already in a bad mood, I can get pretty close to exploding. If I'm in a more decent mood, I can shake it off by listening to music or distracting myself, or just talk to a friend because talking always makes me feel better.

I can understand that as well, it's close to my experiences! I really hate the feeling of the emotions slowly taking over, and feeling unable to keep them inside. It's good that you reach out to a friend, that's always the best thing to do in such cases, cause sometimes it's hard to see things clearly when you're right in the middle of a situation.

Last edited:

Revan

Wound in the Force
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Ravey, Steve
Time Zone
US Central Time
It mainly depends on exactly which feelings I'm experiencing. If it's something small that irks me during class time, I usually just fume for a couple minutes and doodle in my notebook, or sigh under my breath and go back to taking notes. If it's homework or grade-related, however, I become very stressed, sad, and anxious all at once (sometimes also annoyed), and usually I'm at school so I can't cry without others potentially seeing/hearing. Usually I still have to work on whatever is causing the negative feelings here, too. If there's an alternate task I can complete I do that instead; otherwise I try to push through it as best as I can.

Basically whenever I have negative feelings in general I try to think positive thoughts, talk to my girlfriend basically any time I'm upset (on occasion a couple other friends too but it depends), cry (if it's overwhelming and only when I'm in my studio), listen to music if it won't distract me too much, and sometimes play video games. I've gotten better with thinking positive thoughts but it's still something I need to get much better at. Talking to and spending time with my girlfriend always makes me feel happier tbh.

Recently I talked to a school counselor a couple times as well so once I can go to counseling regularly hopefully that'll help with the emotions that school brings, at least for the amount of time they'll let me go there.

Last edited:

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
It mainly depends on exactly which feelings I'm experiencing. If it's something small that irks me during class time, I usually just fume for a couple minutes and doodle in my notebook, or sigh under my breath and go back to taking notes. If it's homework or grade-related, however, I become very stressed, sad, and anxious all at once (sometimes also annoyed), and usually I'm at school so I can't cry without others potentially seeing/hearing. Usually I still have to work on whatever is causing the negative feelings here, too. If there's an alternate task I can complete I do that instead; otherwise I try to push through it as best as I can.

Basically whenever I have negative feelings in general I try to think positive thoughts, talk to my girlfriend basically any time I'm upset (on occasion a couple other friends too but it depends), cry (if it's overwhelming and only when I'm in my studio), listen to music if it won't distract me too much, and sometimes play video games. I've gotten better with thinking positive thoughts but it's still something I need to get much better at. Talking to and spending time with my girlfriend always makes me feel happier tbh.

Recently I talked to a school counselor a couple times as well so once I can go to counseling regularly hopefully that'll help with the emotions that school brings, at least for the amount of time they'll let me go there.
School sure brings tremendous amounts of stress, i really wish this could be changed, and school would be a more friendly and relaxing environment where we can learn things without the system forcing us to keep up with a pace we're not made to be able to follow without breaking our mental health.

It's great to hear you also have people to vent to, i'm happy to see most of us are not entirely alone in our struggles. I hope you'll benefit from counseling and it will help you find ways to deal with all the stress effectively!

Last edited: