How do you deal with negative feelings?

Pantheon

Right. On. Cue!
Staff Emeritus
Talk to somebody. If I'm not feeling great, the best thing I can do is talk to somebody else just to share it.

The next best thing is a good nap. Refreshes the brain and I always feel better afterwards. Very helpful if I have a lot on my mind to help just wash it all away.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Talk to somebody. If I'm not feeling great, the best thing I can do is talk to somebody else just to share it.

The next best thing is a good nap. Refreshes the brain and I always feel better afterwards. Very helpful if I have a lot on my mind to help just wash it all away.
I agree that sometimes the best thing to do is to "sleep on it" and deal with it when your mind is more clear!

Last edited:

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
Yeah, every time I get stressed out it's because of classes or that I've started looking at the long-term and realized that I haven't really done anything to move forward. I stopped learning to drive because it was stressful. I don't go on forums when the semester is in full swing because the mere thought of possible failure (unfounded though, I've not failed a single class yet) stresses me out far too much. I don't have a social life as much as I've got a collection of friends that I hang out with infrequently. I haven't been in or tried to get into a romantic relationship. And that's just the normal stuff.

I stress out about telling people about my condition, because I worry that they'll make fun of me for it. Surprisingly, when recovering from a potentially traumatic experience (such as surgery, or apparently a flood) I'm somehow less stressed out and more calm. I think that's because I tend to come to terms pretty quickly with the stuff I physically can't do anything about. Sure the first few days of recovery are panic filled, but after a week or so it's not as much of a problem.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Yeah, every time I get stressed out it's because of classes or that I've started looking at the long-term and realized that I haven't really done anything to move forward. I stopped learning to drive because it was stressful. I don't go on forums when the semester is in full swing because the mere thought of possible failure (unfounded though, I've not failed a single class yet) stresses me out far too much. I don't have a social life as much as I've got a collection of friends that I hang out with infrequently. I haven't been in or tried to get into a romantic relationship. And that's just the normal stuff.

I stress out about telling people about my condition, because I worry that they'll make fun of me for it. Surprisingly, when recovering from a potentially traumatic experience (such as surgery, or apparently a flood) I'm somehow less stressed out and more calm. I think that's because I tend to come to terms pretty quickly with the stuff I physically can't do anything about. Sure the first few days of recovery are panic filled, but after a week or so it's not as much of a problem.

It sounds like you're dealing with a lot of anxiety under this pressure :c I can honestly relate, cause I stopped attending a lot of classes due to feelings of overwhelming stress. It feels like it slowly drives you into a corner and like you're left with no option.

I can definitely understand that. Anxiety/stress (or any mental health issue) can be very debilitating, as it makes you feel like it's your fault, or like you're powerless in front of it, while when dealing with a more practical problem it's often clearer what you can or can't do about it

Last edited:

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
thank you for your response btw, Bunnie, it is very kind of you to give a personalized response to everyone in this thread. I read the links you gave me and I'm practicing a lot to live more in the moment. It definitely helps when I don't dwell on the past or future and let that affect how i'm acting in the "now"

you seem like such a nice person thank you for this thread and your responses=')

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
thank you for your response btw, Bunnie, it is very kind of you to give a personalized response to everyone in this thread. I read the links you gave me and I'm practicing a lot to live more in the moment. It definitely helps when I don't dwell on the past or future and let that affect how i'm acting in the "now"

you seem like such a nice person thank you for this thread and your responses=')
ahhhh thank you so much, i'm very glad you found them useful!!

i really appreciate you saying that cause i was actually worried about me being annoying doing that ;o;

Last edited:

Ice_Dragon

The Fairy Dragon
Staff Emeritus
Time Zone
GMT +8
It's hard to say because I don't experience many "negative feelings" per se.

However, when the negative feelings do show up, it can take quite the toll. Especially in my line of work (consultancy), which involves some overseas travel to meet clients. Sometimes we travel as a team, but mostly I have to travel alone, have my meals alone and stay at the hotel alone so it sometimes feels a little lonely. There are weeks where I don't see my family, colleagues and girlfriend at all which can be tough. But it's part of my job and I've just learned to accept that it happens. Lifting weights and the occasional drink helps me to relax and just look forward to returning home. At the end of the day, no matter how negative I'm feeling, I know that I have a loving family and supportive colleagues and fiancee so that makes it all okay.

Last edited:

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
It's hard to say because I don't experience many "negative feelings" per se.

However, when the negative feelings do show up, it can take quite the toll. Especially in my line of work (consultancy), which involves some overseas travel to meet clients. Sometimes we travel as a team, but mostly I have to travel alone, have my meals alone and stay at the hotel alone so it sometimes feels a little lonely. There are weeks where I don't see my family, colleagues and girlfriend at all which can be tough. But it's part of my job and I've just learned to accept that it happens. Lifting weights and the occasional drink helps me to relax and just look forward to returning home.

oh, it's very nice to hear you don't deal with these feelings often! and i can understand why you'd feel lonely in these situations, especially when you miss the people that you're used to seeing around. i think knowing that you'll be home soon and looking forward to that must be what helps you accept the lonely days, it's always nice to know someone's waiting for you at home ^^

Vivid Stardust

~ Like Stars In The Sky ~
AKA
Vivid, Apollo
I don’t actually know how to deal with stress or negative emotions/thoughts, and that’s part of why I’m in therapy. Having comorbid GAD/ASD/ADHD/depression isn’t fun at all.

Anyway, I do tend to talk to people when I’m upset, but I’m always worried that I’m bothering people when I talk about my problems. I actually hold my feelings in a lot, even though it isn’t healthy. When I have time, drawing vent art does help. It doesn’t get me back to happy, but it helps. Playing rhythm games and listening to music helps too. The problem is that I feel bad about doing the things that make me feel better because I don’t feel “productive”. I just need a healthy coping mechanism that will help a lot more than what I’m doing. I wish I knew a way to make myself calm down, but I don’t.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I don’t actually know how to deal with stress or negative emotions/thoughts, and that’s part of why I’m in therapy. Having comorbid GAD/ASD/ADHD/depression isn’t fun at all.

Anyway, I do tend to talk to people when I’m upset, but I’m always worried that I’m bothering people when I talk about my problems. I actually hold my feelings in a lot, even though it isn’t healthy. When I have time, drawing vent art does help. It doesn’t get me back to happy, but it helps. Playing rhythm games and listening to music helps too. The problem is that I feel bad about doing the things that make me feel better because I don’t feel “productive”. I just need a healthy coping mechanism that will help a lot more than what I’m doing. I wish I knew a way to make myself calm down, but I don’t.

hey, i'm sorry to hear that you struggle a lot when experiencing these feelings :/ I can definitely understand feeling like a bother to others when you try to talk about it, or feeling like you're wasting time when trying to deal with it on your own...I really hope therapy helps you find an effective way to cope, it's good that you're getting help. i think that whenever you feel like a bother when talking to a friend, you should take a moment and ask yourself "if they tried to talk to me, would i think they're a bother?". i'm sure the answer is negative, so trust me, if someone cares about you, they'll never feel bothered by you reaching out to them! c:

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I try to talk to people if I can. If I vent, it usually gets out my system fast and I'm ok. I also listen to music, since it tends to distract me until I naturally get over it. Another thing I do is kinda weird but I debate myself. It helps me get my ideas out and process information I might not have thought about.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I try to talk to people if I can. If I vent, it usually gets out my system fast and I'm ok. I also listen to music, since it tends to distract me until I naturally get over it. Another thing I do is kinda weird but I debate myself. It helps me get my ideas out and process information I might not have thought about.
yes, talking to friends is usually the best thing to do! it's interesting to see that music helps a lot of people, personally i find that although it offers a bit of relief, it usually makes me even more depressed, especially cause when i'm sad i listen to sad music >.< I debate myself too, especially when i'm trying to understand the situation from a different point of view, like when i get angry or hurt by someone, i think it helps.

DriftyAlison0

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Central Time Zone
3DS FC
3024-8099-0491
IGN
Drifty
If I am upset I usually hug a cat if possible or be alone for a few to get it out and then move on. If I can, I listen to music to help and then keeping my thoughts upbeat as much as possible helps to. If I need to, I talk to someone about it and I do pray about it as well.

We Sink

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I'm usually pretty good about getting over things quickly. Those other times I harbor over why I feel like this and just make myself feel worse.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
If I am upset I usually hug a cat if possible or be alone for a few to get it out and then move on. If I can, I listen to music to help and then keeping my thoughts upbeat as much as possible helps to. If I need to, I talk to someone about it and I do pray about it as well.
awww pets sure help a lot during those times. sometimes i really wonder what i'd do if i didn't have my cat and my dogs to hug when i'm super upset :-:

I'm usually pretty good about getting over things quickly. Those other times I harbor over why I feel like this and just make myself feel worse.
yeah, i understand that. sometimes the more we think about it the worse it gets as we hold onto it and can't move on. i think it's better to think about it with a clear mind, when the strong emotions like anger or sadness pass, but of course that's easier said than done~

Mystical

Ysabel
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I've lately been focusing only on the positives. I try to remember all of those and try to be grateful for them. The negatives will pass or are not that big of a deal.

Also I try to take a break or distance from things that may be making me feel down.

Or do things that keep me entertained and help me focus on other things or are healthy. Like going on small runs or helping other people, writing, playing piano, singing, or even talking to others.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I've lately been focusing only on the positives. I try to remember all of those and try to be grateful for them. The negatives will pass or are not that big of a deal.

Also I try to take a break or distance from things that may be making me feel down.

Or do things that keep me entertained and help me focus on other things or are healthy. Like going on small runs or helping other people, writing, playing piano, singing, or even talking to others.
that's lovely Isa, it's a very healthy and positive mindset ♥

Zerade

ralph
to be honest I have such a laid back view of pretty much everything that I pretty much never feel intense negative feelings, or if I do they go away pretty quick without me really doing much about them. in my view I would prefer to have a good time than dwell on bad things, and i'm lucky in that that just seems to work.