Discussion How long does your art take?

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Generally how long does each art piece take you to complete?

For me, complicated watercolour paintings will take a few days, a lot of time is taken to mix paints, let paint dry etc. Everything else like digital drawing, inks and sketches will usually take a few hours. GFX is usually less than a few hours.

SarasaKat

bibb pretty
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kat
Time Zone
EST
Usually for me, if I put a piece down, I'm not picking it back up. So its either I work on it until its done or it's fated to join the large heap of unfinished works lol

That said, I prob spend around 2-3 hours on gfx stuff? And drawings can range from 30 min to like 6 hours in one sitting if Im really in the zone. But I never put those suckers down until I'm done with the idea.

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
GFX generally takes about two hours for me. Smudge works, however, range dramatically - they could take three to ten hours depending on how complex they are.

The design stuff I do for class varies as well. For my current project, I’ve spent about 2-3 hours per piece, and they’re still only drafts.

When working on my bullet journal, each two-page spread takes about an hour to an hour and a half.

Revan

Wound in the Force
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Ravey, Steve
Time Zone
US Central Time
Drawing something like a Pokemon can take me anywhere from a handful of minutes to a couple hours, depending on how detailed I want to make it and where I'm putting it. I always draw on lined paper first and then trace it onto blank paper because it's much easier for me to keep track of proportions that way. If I'm coloring it in I then used the lined drawing as a test template for colors to find the best match and the drawing on the blank paper gets colored in once I'm satisfied with the lined drawing.

I'm very bad at drawing anything else so it'd definitely take me over an hour for nearly anything else besides simple objects if I want it to be somewhat detailed lol.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
Anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. Really just depends on what I'm drawing and how much effort I'm willing to put in.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
my digital drawings tend to take at least a few hours even for simple stuff, I get kind of obsessive over how i separate the layers and I try to sketch it over at least twice before doing a final outline layer, and then coloring it in, and shading, adjusting and tweaking at the end, etc. etc.

It takes a long time to make something look presentable!!; ; I envy people who do quick beautiful things and just call it a "sketch."

Fafrir

Queen of Dragons
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
It really depends on the piece and what I'm doing. My Drawception doodles can range from 10 to 30 minutes, smaller pencil crayon drawings are at least 5 hours, bigger pieces take days, sprites can last about 2 to 6 hours, digital drawings can take at least 6 hours, and while I've not painted in oil for 2 years it will roughly take a month. It's also been a while for watercolour but it can take me less than an hour if it's wet on wet.

Vigilance

The Devil Himself
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Hmmm. Signature/Avatar stuff takes about 1-2 hours for me (more if I'm using a smudge style) so there's that. Recently I've switched to actual graphic design so logos, posters, flyers, twitch graphics and other items so those take a bit longer depending on the job, revisions and other stuff.

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
GFX generally takes about two hours for me. Smudge works, however, range dramatically - they could take three to ten hours depending on how complex they are.
I remember your smudge work used to take even longer, you've seriously improved so much.

Rydia

ΦωΦ
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Unyielding Wings
AKA
Brian
Time Zone
PST
GFX will usually be about 1-2 hours for me, and if it's a smudge then idk like 5+ hours.

Painting is a completely different story. I'm super picky so I'll spend like anywhere between 20 min - 4 hours on a sketch, even though I tell myself that I'll fix it during the painting stage when the sketch is just for a rough idea. After that, I'll spend about 4-8 hours or so total painting the main parts like the face, body, hair, etc. Though I'm lazy and will work on it parts at a time, so in real time I'll spread that out over like 2-3 days. Then once I get that done, I'll work on the small details (like buttons on clothes, clothes wrinkles, etc) for another 3-6 hours. So overall it'd be like 15 or so hours on average I guess for a full painting.

gylfie

you shouldn't have listened
Usually for me, if I put a piece down, I'm not picking it back up. So its either I work on it until its done or it's fated to join the large heap of unfinished works lol
oof same. I almost never finish digital paintings ‘cause I rarely finish them in one sitting.

It depends on what media im using. My pencil to ink character sketches take a half hour maybe?

I spend an hour and a half or so on watercolour scenery in my travel sketchbook.

Digital tends to take longer because I get caught up in making everything perfect so tbh I prefer to do the ink traditionally and then just fix up and colour in photoshop. One of those pieces would probably take about two and a half hours I think

My clean layout designs take at least 30+ hours from start to finish,,

PIKMANZ Forever

Pikmin-Obsessed Nerd/Geek Guy.
AKA
Alex.
My serious art can take like six hours (estimation since I haven't recorded stuff since I moved). (On SAI)

Simple doodles that are just construction shapes to lineart to coloring can take around an hour. (On IbisPaint X)

I put too much effort into things.

Reunilu

Reddest of Mages
AKA
Shaymin, Nagi
For drawings, they tend to be at least eighteen hours stretched over a period of three days, but a doodle or something will just take an hour or two. As for GFX, it takes me an hour to three hours to finish, depending on if I feel like spending a lot of time on it or not.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
About 1-2 hours for Fakémon sprites. The size I use is only 64x64 (Gen 3 size) so sprites don’t tend to take long.

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
My avatar/signature probably took me about an hour or so in total. ;)

Sheep

Regular Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
hahaha as simple as it is, probably a few hours at least. I'm very picky so I tend to redo until I'm satisfied with them and focus a lot on things most people might not notice, like that one line that's just a tiny bit jagged or not smooth enough. If I went back to full-blown shading and highlighting in a more detailed style, I'd be drawing for half of the day =p

Mirage

Pokemon Master
AKA
Drake, Mirage, Izzy
Time Zone
(UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Now, I don't do art often, but when I do, if I really like where the rough paper sketch is going, I'll hop on over to Minecraft to really get into it. Depending on a whole bunch of factors, like scale, detail, etc, it may take me a few hours to get it all nice and done, or it could never end. Take, for example, my Triforce drawing. That took me like several days to complete. But now look at my guitar. I'd say it's still not finished yet simply because I keep coming up with better ideas over time and then make those changes, and I've been working on my guitar for years now. So for me, ultimately it'll depend on the project; it might take me a few hours, or I may never finish it at all because I keep coming up with better ideas.

Nuuk

lilfella
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Creative Soul
AKA
lizzy
i havent really drawn anything in a few years but i remembered it would take me many many hours. i had an issue similar to katey where id sketch, then re sketch, then spend forever trying to get my lines straight. probably why i stopped drawing lmao.

currently spriting depends on how big/detailed it is ofc, and also if im going to animate it. the gsc style sprites take about 4-6 hours from sketch to animation