How open are you about liking Pokemon irl?

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
Are you more of a closeted Pokemon fan, or do you not really care what people think and just wear Pokemon shirts a lot (in which case I am envious of you)?

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
In high school one of my classrooms had a tee shirt press in it, and I printed one with a bunch of Pokémon on it, and I wore it pretty much everywhere I could until the ink started to wear off.

Whenever anyone asks what I do I'll probably say something along the lines of "I play unhealthy amounts of Pokémon and Skyrim," but the conversation usually ends there because they'll respond with "oh, I used to play Pokémon. I think the last game I played was Sapphire."

During family gatherings, one of my cousins and I and usually my sister spend as much time as possible playing Pokémon (we're currently doing a reverse speed run of Ultra Moon) and pretty much everyone else in the family has accepted by now that we're just weird like that.

Screem

Sir Premium
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
+8 GMT
Switch FC
SW-4503-9262-0045
In high school, I used to be very self-conscious about liking Pokémon. I always got flustered and hesitantly said I liked it when asked, however nowadays I very openly say I like Pokémon and play Pokémon Go every day, as well as playing every generation of game that comes out to some degree as well as collect the cards just because it's Pokémon.

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
When I was younger I was really closed off about it and didn't talk about Pokemon. Once I got into high school I didn't actively try to hide it or anything, but I never brought it up. Nowadays I'm not really worried about it anymore, I've found that most people don't care or find it interesting, and people who judge me because of it aren't worth caring about.

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
For me, growing up Pokemon was cool and it was easy to be open about liking it. But this ceased to be the case as years went by, and by the time DP came out liking Pokemon wasn't exactly "cool" IRL. Although, really, I pretty much stopped being open about video games outside of my family for the most part IRL at that point anyways.

Nowadays, if somebody asked me if I liked Pokemon IRL I'd be more open about it. Then again, idk when it'll ever come up again, so

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
For me... I feel like it's an odd situation. I was more open about it as a kid than I am now as an adult. For some reason, as a kid, I didn't really feel like it was a big deal bringing my DS everywhere and playing Pokemon wherever I went, but that's probably because I was younger and I figured most other people my age would be doing the same thing.

Nowadays, I'm much more closeted, if only because I feel like people would judge me for wearing Pokemon shirts or having other kinds of Pokemon merch. Idk I'm kind of self-conscious about that kinda stuff.

SiNofTheAbyss

Anime Cthulhu
AKA
SiN, Mal, Shiny
Time Zone
EST
IGN
Sin (US)
Similar to how I am about anime, I talk rather openly about Pokémon. I rarely feel ashamed of asking for the event codes whenever I head to the local GameStop to pick one or two up (such as when I got Zeraora codes last month).

Maybe when I'm out of high school, I'll be more closeted, but right now, I'm pretty much an open book.

Null

Greninja Main
Time Zone
AEST
i am SO SUPPORTIVE, also because Pokemon has a strong presence in my school. In my school there's the smartest trio consisting of me and two other good friends and we LOVE pokemon and nintendo to death so if anyone disses nintendo or pokemon we go beat the crap out of them. (figuratively of course ;D)

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
I never really kept my love for Pokemon hidden. I saw no reason not to and it honestly makes me feel bad when people like nerdy stuff in general and they are like "shhh keep it on the downlow, people can't know." Like embrace your nerdiness man, it is a part of you.

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
Like embrace your nerdiness man, it is a part of you.
Preach, girl.

I used to be super self-conscious of my nerdy interests and mostly kept them to myself, but I've gotten more open about them as I've gained confidence in myself as an adult. I still don't mention it to EVERYONE, like I doubt I'd tell my coworkers I play Pokemon (unless I happen to get really close to them or something), but I'm also not really ashamed of it and will admit to it if the topic happens to come up.

Fafrir

Cunning God of Death
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan (-6 GMT)
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
My high school and university days were good days for me as a Pokémon fan, especially the latter when I've found a few people to battle with. I've always been open about my interests in the series and many people do know I'm a fan to this day. The games are for all ages regardless if people think otherwise.

Penumbra

The Devil's Advocate
AKA
Pen, Penu, Penny
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4313-6127-3959
I have been pretty open ever since Pokemon Go became popular, as a few of my coworkers played it because they were nostalgic for the first 3 gens.

Bones Barlow

Ghost with the Most
AKA
Bones
Time Zone
EST/GMT -5
3DS FC
5370-0907-5084
Switch FC
SW-0851-1998-5587
I'm not really closed off about liking Pokemon, but not many people outside of my family or the forums know I'm into it, mostly because it never really comes up in conversation. Of course, I'm a little closed-off in general, so that might have something to do with it.

Arceus

Prismatic Trainer
AKA
James, Chandelure
Time Zone
EST
I think I went in a sort of parabola. I was alarmingly rabid openly as a tiny kid before I realized that I had to hide it because I was becoming the "weird pokemon kid". I hid it for a few years, but soon enough, in high school and college I gave up on that. I'm a pokemon fan openly and unabashedly now. The people I'm with are all old enough and polite enough now to either be interested or apathetic. It's been a while since anyone has given me crap. Another part of it is that now I'm more grown up and able to take it if someone acts condescending or disapproving. I've got my own life to lead and I'll keep going with or without a stranger's approval.

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
I'm not actively hiding it. But I'm not actively talking about it either. I don't really own any shirts or anything Pokemany since I have a love for the games, but I wouldn't actually like wearing it around. I do like bringing it up when people ask and that's probably because my closer friends have a fondness of Pokemon too just like me. So it's pretty easy to talk about these days, though in College it doesn't get brought up too often

Matthew

Tech Enthusiast
Time Zone
Central
In elementary school, when DP came out, Pokemon was very popular. It faded out in middle school and when I got to high school, nobody talked about it. I wasn't hiding it, but never talked about it. After high school, I'm much more open about it, and people really don't care what you like.

High School is a very closed system, where you it's everything you know. People, drama, interests, etc. Once you graduate, that all goes away. Its much easier to find people that share similar interests after high school.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i'll talk about it if someone asks, i dont rly care. i also do own some pokemon shirts and wowie i've gotten more compliments on those than any other article of clothing i've ever worn. there are so many "nerds" out there, nothing to be ashamed of.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
When I was younger, I always hid my passions for everything since I didn't want to be "nerdy". Now, I don't say anything unless asked. I really don't care if people know I like Pokemon or not.

Azuviin

Soldier of Affinity
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Michelle
I won't openly share about my love for Pokemon to the world on a regular basis, but if the topic comes up or I'm asked I'll talk about it instead of hiding it. I sometimes wear Pokemon related clothing or accessories, only really subtle things though, like a mega stone necklace I own.

Vesphira

=^.^=
AKA
Ves
Time Zone
EST
Considering I was in grade school when Red and Blue came out, I am somewhat “too old for Pokémon” now. Don’t care. Haha. I have a few Pokémon T-shirts that I wear with pride. A lot of kids compliment me on being “so cool”. I think eventually people end up sharing the games with their own kids, whether it’s the anime, video games, or trading cards.