How was your 2018?

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
So yeah, with 2018 waning down to its end, how was the year as a whole for you? What are some of the things that happened to you this year, whether they were good, bad, how did they affect you? Obviously there's much to remember and reflect on when a year comes to an end, so I'd like to know what you guys liked and didn't like about the year!

For me, I'd say it was pretty good. There was plenty of great stuff to happen this year. I got to go on a lot of crazy adventures, like taking the train into the city twice, once of where was the point that I got my Nintendo Switch. And I took big drives out to New Jersey for Six Flags Great Adventure, and later Hersheypark for Christmas Candylane. I know I'm capable of even more than that! And I got to see another Broadway show in New York this month which was super fun. We got to go to California for a wedding of one of our long-time friends. I became an uncle, too, a process that was long-winded for my sister and her husband after they had been married for a while. I do feel like I became more a part of this community with things like Azuriprom and Smash Camp, both of which were fun to attend. And best of all, I lived to see my Eagles win their first Super Bowl. Just being at both playoff games that they won to get their was crazy enough. It almost felt like I was in a dream when I was in the crowd during the NFC Championship Game and we were getting ready to see them go to the promised land. And while this year didn't exactly give an ideal follow-up, I'm hoping for the best next year. And I'm looking forward to a lot of things next year. Hopefully it'll be the year I get something more advanced and finally move out! But we'll wait and see.

How about you guys? Was 2018 a good year for you? If not, why? Discuss!

Kirichaki

Monokuma appears!
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Curry, Clam
Time Zone
EST
I don't mean to soapbox but 2018 was the worst year of my life by a landslide. In January I had to put my dog of 17 years that I've loved with every fiber of my being since we got him down and that was heartbreaking. Then started the seizures. Now, I have a disorder where seizures are a side effect and it isn't unheard of for me to have them. However, I've been on medication for years that the last time I had one prior to this year was I think 2014 and before that I can't even remember when. I don't know what has happened to me, but this year alone I've had like 6 if not more. It has gotten to the point I spend every hour of every day afraid I'm going to have another one and I've become an absolute mess because I'm in constant fear. The only good part of the entire year was my brother getting married and how much fun that was. There's been some okay times like I've had fun in stuff, but as a whole this year has by far been the worst year of my life.

However, I'm hopeful for 2019, I think I can solve some of the issues, not just the seizures ones, I've been having and I will actually make progress in my life again.

Last edited:

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
2018 has been an improvement for me! To show how much better it’s gotten, I’ll share a timeline of the last four years.

2014 - Moved to a different part of my state and had to leave my childhood friends behind.
2015 - Parents split up for the second time in a row.
2016 - Bullying became more common and I got suicidal.
2017 - Bullying got worse and I had no friends.

As you can see, my last four years were not great. Thankfully, it gets better from here!

January - Made my first friend in five years.
June - Finally joined Marriland.
July - Went on a two week trip to Alaska.
August - Visited Idaho.
September- Took a much needed break from my awful school.
October - Made a Team Skull costume and my crush took the confession well.
November - Got to have my first long conversation with my Grandpa and my crush said yes to Marriprom!
December - I started taking voice lessons and took my Japanese class more seriously.

There were a few low points. I lost my cat Lovey at the age of 7 and my Mom’s car was stolen. Even so, this is the best year I’ve had in ages. I hope next year is even better.

Scherzo

too lazy to change my title
AKA
Colin
Time Zone
CST
My 2018 has definitely been a year of change. I've gotten so much better at piano than I have any other year, and that'll just increase with the seven more semesters (+ master's and stuff) of undergrad. I do have a lot to appreciate about 2018; most everyone loves their first semester of college (unless it somehow gets messed up), and I have had the best self-control and improvement I could have had this semester for my education and health. Additionally, I placed for the first time at a state competition, and I'll continue to try and improve my placements in regional/national/maybe international competitions. I have also had many opportunities this year, most notably being able to have a masterclass with a professor from one of the most prestigious music schools.

Alright, here's the bad stuff about 2018. Coming soon, I'll probably lose a whole bunch of friends, and I might even have to start attending mass at a completely different church whenever I'm home from college because of it. I thought I was getting really close with this group of people, but it turns out I was completely wrong about it. I'm hoping to have a conversation with one of them about it, but so far the person I'm talking to about it has been spotty on responding. We'll see what happens soon. Oh well, you love and lose. It happens. My friends I have gained in my university are much more mature and reliable, and I even met a few new friends who live near me.

My goal for 2019 is to just improve everything I can. I'll remain trying to stay healthy, and increasing my semester repertoire programs to as much as I can. I will probably have to end up taking 17 credit hours next semester again, but I know how to handle it now that I've already been through it. I'll also be trying to do many extracurriculars this upcoming year too, including photography and piano festivals.

Cynical Toast

Proud Gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
Well 2018 has certainly been a year. I got my drivers permit and probably could have gotten my license by now if i was more diligent. My grandmother died on Halloween, which certainly sucked hard. She was sick for so long that I wasn't incredibly shocked, but at the same time man that was a weird week. On the brighter side though, there was a big positive change in my life, coming about from the worst of circumstances. I'd be more specific but, eh. Honestly saying all the ups and downs like this makes it seem like a super eventful year, which I guess it was but honestly it didn't feel like that. Everything just felt sort of static and normal, which I'm not complaining about. 2019 isn't looking up to have a good start though, lol.

gylfie

you shouldn't have listened
hmm

this year had its ups and downs so im kind of neutral on what kind of year it's been.

good things: my family went on a trip to australia this summer and that was really incredible. ive a lot of fun with my college program and im doing quite well in it. it's helped me get so much better at drawing and i love my friends in my classes a whole lot. my love for my friends has been magnified by 100x this year tbh. ive also grown closer to my sister bc im living with her and i think we've become quite good at cooking together!

not great things: i feel as though my self control has really deteriorated and im procrastinating quite terribly a lot of the time. in terms of school work it makes me feel like i definitely could've tried harder to really polish my final product. like yeah i got a good grade but i could've done better.
keeping the apartment clean has been going downright awful and i think in general ive just felt really ****ty about myself. my skating hasn't been going great to the point that ive thought about quitting, but i don't know what i would do without it. i feel like my body has deteriorated because i had no time to skate and i don't have the initiative it takes to go to the gym so all i do is sit at a desk drawing or using my computer/phone.
my sleep schedule has been garbage for the past four months. i can blame college but also on days where i didn't have work to do, id just stay up anyways bc i don't want to face tomorrow.
i feel like ive been kind of a ****ty gf this year considering we haven't spent time together outside of college in at least a month. again college keeps me busy but i feel like i could've tried harder to make time.

yeah in general i think 2018 is the year i could've tried harder to do more things but man it burnt me out

so i guess to summarize:
actual life events: pretty good!
whatever is going on in my brain: not very fantastic!

Last edited:

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
Could have been worse, I guess.

January: went to my fifth Magfest, and got to met a guy I've been friends with on the Internet since 2010 (plus a couple other people). Meeting your Internet friends in person is basically magic.
Summer: had a volunteer-job-thing on a research project involving games, which meant I got to learn C#/Unity. Unfortunately it also taught me that I don't like Unity. At all. ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
School: was a thing, I guess.
November: produced both a new Fantastic Beasts and EBF5, both of which were pretty nice.
December: I started actually playing EBF5, which was quite a lot of fun and made my YouTube channel start trending upwards for the first time in . . . years

At some point I also started being more active in the Game Maker community, decided this was a good idea, learned how to Github, started playing Xenoblade, stopped playing clicker games, wrote an awful lot of code, and probably a few other things.

Also I averaged like two hours of sleep per day more than I wanted to, and it appears to be getting worse, which isn't all that fun.

7/10

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
Wow, 2018 has been kind of a wild ride in a good way, including some ways that were totally unexpected.

In March, I got to be a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding, which was a blast. In the following months, I started getting to know a member of the forums that I'd never really talked to, and we became fast friends. I also accepted a transfer from my old job to the hospital in my home town. Said friend told me he had a crush on me, and I developed a crush on him as well over the next several weeks. Eventually I planned a trip across the country to meet him in person (easily one of the most fun vacations I've ever had) and asked him to be my boyfriend after 23 years of being single lol.

This year is also the year I got more involved in the Marriland community, and I've been able to make so many great friends here because of it and treasure all of you very deeply. Work has had its ups and downs, but I do generally think that changing jobs has been a positive for me. I got to move into a townhome with one of my best friends, and I live within 30 minutes of all of my immediate family. I'm very happy with the direction my life has gone this year.

2019 is going to get off to the best possible start, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing where things go from there. I think it's got some pretty great potential. :happyazurill:

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
2018 started out absolutely trash. i felt lost in college, experienced one of the worst emotional lows i'd had in years accompanied by some very very dark thoughts, but the second half of the year was a complete shift. I finally got my first real job which is the HUGEST positive change I could have asked for. not having a job for so long made me feel like something was seriously wrong with me, now I can fully support myself financially and I've gained so much confidence. I still have sad moments, sad days, even sad weeks every now and then. but dam do i feel so much better about life and the future. just..... feel a lot more content, serene, at peace. with life and with myself. things like not knowing what i want to pursue, just don't bother me much anymore. i can just go with the flow and feel happy for once. very good feeling.

overall i would say this year was excellent. cannot fully appreciate those very beautiful happy times without experiencing the dark days, too.

Ice_Dragon

The Fairy Dragon
Staff Emeritus
Time Zone
GMT +8
2018 was a year of deep change for me.

It's the first time in years that I've been seriously putting more time into real life as opposed to online activities. There are two aspects that I've been lacking in for 2017 and I spent much of 2018 trying to change that. These two aspects are basically:

Lack of initiative + Not bold enough

My job has been going well for me and I'm pleased to say that my work appraisal has been well above average. The 2017 me would've said "This is fantastic, I'm good enough. I can just coast from here and be content with what I have". However, what I learned from certain books as well as during my time on the Azurilland staff team was that it's not always a good idea on rest on one's laurels. It's easy to get comfortable but the hard part is about trying to improve and get better.

So 2018 was a time of learning more about myself. It's not been easy, but I know it's a step in the right direction.

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
2018 has been an amazing year for me. It's mostly because I finally graduated from my toxic school and started becoming more self-confident. I got into the high school I wanted and the people are amazing there, which helped to become me more happier in general. I also finally got rid of my speech and hearing problems with help of professionals which I couldn't get earlier because my school thought I didn't have them. I also went to a trip to Spain with my class (even though I don't really like them, I'll admit it was fun). Oh yeah, I also got into JoJo this year.

I also got more involved in the Marriland community and made wonderful friends here. Smash Camp has been fun too and so was Secret Santa. While I didn't participated this year, I'm excited for Marriprom in 2019.

Yeah, that's all folks. I hope 2019 will be even better!

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
Good for the most part with a dip in the middle. I think I grew up a lot throughout the year. Big highlight was of course continuing my year abroad in London, even competing for dance for the first time in Cardiff. I got my organization and time management straight as well, being more conscious about when to say no to opportunities when I needed to.

Summer sucked because I felt like a failure and a bum the entire time. I had no internship AND I had to study to retake a few exams that I didn’t do well enough on.

Fall was cool. While there was a greater volume of work and stress throughout since I was back in the US, I managed it much better than previous semesters and ended what was supposed to be the toughest semester with a 4.0. I was able to choreograph the first ballet piece that my university had seen in years and dance in three other pieces. All while keeping up with my choir and my sorority. Now even the job search is looking up because I had my first interview ever a week ago. So yay.

Revan

Wound in the Force
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Ravey, Steve
Time Zone
US Central Time
A lot has happened for me in 2018, and there have been many good (and absolutely wonderful) aspects of it as well as some bad (and absolutely trash) aspects of it.

My thesis along with research, coursework, and determining which graduate school I wanted to attend kept me busy enough that some nights I was only getting three hours of sleep. It was pretty stressful when actually writing and editing the thesis and frequently I’d question how I actually got into grad programs since I thought other students were so much better than me, but it was a great feeling to be successful in my thesis defense and overall I’m happy I finished my thesis. Recently my advisor, collaborators, and I got a research paper published based on our work too, which was a relief given that we first submitted it to a journal half a year ago.

After graduating in May, I took a couple weeks’ vacation with family and it was a nice trip in some ways but also the worst vacation I can remember. There were lots of cool places we went to though and I really want to go back to Spain sometime. I came back and finished up some more research at my old university in June, which I really enjoyed. The rest of the summer was dedicated to relaxing and getting ready for my next program and honestly it was really nice to just kick back and do things I enjoyed but hadn’t had the time for in school. Smash Camp was an absolute blast too!

In the second quarter of the year I also started talking to a member of the forums outside of TSI; we became friends quickly and I developed a crush on her, eventually deciding to tell her that. I got to know her much better during the summer and she became my best friend. I also found out a few weeks after telling her I had a crush on her that she had developed a crush on me as well. We met in-person in the fall and it was one of the best times in my life, and she asked me to be her boyfriend. She is an amazing girlfriend and proves that she cares daily, and I’m so excited to see her in-person again soon!

I was sad to leave my old university in June and still miss the professors and my friends there a lot but I was excited to move on to my Doctoral program and gain more skills as well. However, it wasn’t what I expected: I expected the competitive environment and that it would be tough, but the teaching style of the courses has not clicked with me at all and overall the setting and expectations have been very overwhelming and my mental health has suffered greatly especially compared to how happy I was before school started. I saw a counselor (for the first time willingly) who will hopefully help during the upcoming quarter once I’m first on the waiting list. I’ve been looking for another job path as well and I’ll know if I got into a program I want within a couple weeks.

Tl;dr, 2018, despite some very rough spots, has also been the best year in a while for me.

2019 is going to get off to the best start and the rest of the year is guaranteed to be a roller coaster ride, with me working towards a long-term career much more than I have been, potentially moving to a different state again, and overall just working to improve as much as I can in all aspects; namely staying mindful, moving away from my old mindset on school, and eating healthier. How will 2019 go? It could go very well, and that’s what I’m hoping for, but I have a lot of work to do to make it go according to my dreams, and I’m ready to make that happen.

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
Warning: there's a LOT of text here.
2018 started out well, crashed in the middle and is ending ok. It started out with me being at my grandparents finally and I was totally happy. I saw Markiplier with my little cousin and it was a fun show. But over the year I found my school of choice not going the way I'd hoped. Right around the end of January was when **** started hitting the fan. One friend who I considered close as a brother started distancing himself from me, preferring to spend more time around people he had bonded with the year I was gone. Spring had an awful show for me personally, because even if I did well the people I stage managed were kinda mean to me and I got too overwhelmed acting and managing at once. And the competitive stuff I did won third at region, but despite how hard I worked it didn't make it and I was so sad.

I was also dating a potentially violent man who we honestly have no clue if was delusional or a pathological lier. I won't lie, I was actually a little afraid of him hurting me after hearing some things he said. He never actually hurt me, but I wish I hadn't let him take advantage of my weakness for two years (on/off but still around two years). Classes were boring and lonliness weighed me down. I honestly felt like the only place where I could go was my teacher, who I will always admire for her patience and kindness with annoying, fat little me coming to her door. Oh yeah, I was 230lbs, and as a average-boned 5'3 1/2" woman that was a lot more weight than was healthy for me. I was stress eating like crazy. And I felt shut out by my peers. I came back to the forums during this time in school because I was desperate for human interaction, and though my depression and anxiety made freakouts more common than I'd like to admit, the fact people actually were willing to talk to me was a life saver. Especially Molly and the rest of the loog noogs, those guys did a lot more than they might know with their memeing to help. In the months coming close to graduation, drama at school was real. Accusations were flying, a creepy softball coach was ignored by the principle, teachers were suddenly fired for standing up, it was chaos.

I started dating a guy from outside school for the first time, and he was a real sweetie. He was goofy, genuine, cute, honest, and kind. He was a good match for high school. After graduation, I decided to move to Oregon to live with my mom because I was so lost on what I wanted to do. All I knew was that I wanted to pusue theater, which considering it was the one thing that had kept me happy at school made sense. (not to mention the whole life0long passion thing.) I ended up losing almost all previous friends, one because I wasn't happy enough, one because of normal drifting with distance, one because of suicide, one because of something terrible he did I really don't think is appropriate to share on forum. If anyone really wants to know you could message me but it's a little hard to talk about for most people.

Along with the friends, I also decided to break up with my boyfriend at the time. He was such a good guy, but not only was long distance not a happy fit for him, but he also really wasn't able to handle being on his own yet and I realized he needed someone there in state for him. He was too good a person to be kept in something just not good for him. Not long after, a friend from high school (one of the only ones who stuck around, probably considering she had been admitted into early college and was almost finished with her associates so she wasn't involoved in al the drama) and I admitted our feelings for one another. She came up to visit and see the show I was in and she left as my girlfriend.

After that things have started looking up. Throughout Spamalot I had started a strict diet and lost almost 40lbs along with feeling much better overall. I met some people who I'll know in college, and got some experience that will be invaluable. I also have begun working on mood, pushing myself to be cheerier and more polite than before. My gf and I are saving for a trip to Disneyland in a few years, and I'll be moving in with her at the end of my semester. I'm still pretty lonely since I can't really hang out with anyone right now, and frustrated that I can't find work, but I'll be busy with school soon so those won't be issues soon. d'd say that if I work hard, next year should be good. Here's to the new year of 2019!

Mystical

Ysabel
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I think this year has been mostly a year of growth for me. I got my first real job on February, and I'll say it was overall a fun and great experience. Had some lows but overall I learned a lot, earned some money and got a new perspective.

My grandma died around November, so I can relate with Cynical_Toast. She had also been sick for a while now (practically my whole life) so this was actually a release for her, and while we'll miss her, we're also happy for her. I think this helped me with introspection and with getting closer to God (going to mass more often and self-reflecting).

Also, my brother went to study abroad. I miss him but I'm very happy for him.

Internet-wise, I wasn't being very nice, and was actually being a bit toxic and defensive about certain things. If you know what I mean, I apologize. Some of you know I sometimes exited some servers for whatever reason. I didn't feel good with myself and how I perceived others were acting towards me, but that was probably mostly my own fault. So the beginning of this new forum was actually something good for me. Gave me the chance and courage to take a distance from certain things that were bringing me down or making me feel dissatisfied, and focus more on others that do fill me and that I enjoy. Like I said in my intro post, I want to leave the negatives behind and focus on the good. I'll talk more about this with anyone who's interested, but the point is I want to be a better person, and bring positivity to others as well, since that's the kind of person I want to be.

Overall, during the end of this year, I've felt happy and grateful about my present and hopeful about the future.

I'm really glad this was a good year for some of you, and for those for whom it hasn't, there's always hope for a better tomorrow, and there's always something to enjoy about today. I wish you all the best for 2019. <3 And thanks Scott for the thread. :happyazurill:

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
It was pretty decent I say. The highlights were mostly more success for myself in my field of study (and being able to work in museums) while also being with a pretty awesome guy who I really appreciate lots. <3