In the Limelight - A Pokemon Shield Nuzlocke

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
Heyo friends, it's been a minute. I'm having a blast with Pokemon Shield and impulsively decided to start a nuzlocke on Shield. I'm not doing anything fancy, just the standard rules, namely:

1. Fainted Pokemon can no longer be used.
  2. Only the first encounter in each area can be caught.
  3. All Pokemon must be nicknamed.
Sword and Shield are a little different than normal in terms of Pokemon encounters. Here's how I am handling things for my playthrough:
For each area, I will be using a random number generator. Odd number = overworld encounter. Even number = random encounter. If I roll for an overworld encounter, I will then roll to determine which of the overworld available options I get the chance to catch. “Very Strong” (and therefore uncatchable) Pokemon are disregarded. I will be using dupes/species clause.

I can catch one Raid Pokemon for each tier, these do not count as the encounter for their area. I do not have online on this account, so I have to beat these Raids myself or get a helping hand from local friends.
That's about it. I've been kind of itching to do a challenge story, and hopefully I can get updates written in a timely manner since SwSh hype is still going stong. Looking forward to an exciting adventure!
(Theme music plays)

ANNOUNCER: Welcome back, battle fans! My name is Newton Castor, your source for the latest and greatest of this season’s Gym Challenge! I am pumped to be joined today by none other than Leon, our reigning Champion, to talk about our upcoming season. Leon, how are you feeling heading into another year of spunky new trainers coming after your title?

LEON: (stretches nonchalantly) Newton, I just hope those trainers are ready to come at me with their best shot! I’m excited to see some fiery battles out there, and I know Charizard is too.

(Charizard roars in agreement)

NEWTON: For a fire type, Charizard sure is good at keeping his cool, isn’t he? (he laughs) Now, tell it to me straight, Leon. Do you think any of these new challengers have a real shot at winning this year’s Champion Cup.

(Leon looks thoughtful. Then, a confident grin spreads over his face.)

LEON: Between you and me, Newton, I’m pretty much unbeatable. I’ll be as excited as the rest of you if someone finally takes me down.

(Newton laughs)

NEWTON: Well, it’ll be an uphill battle for these newcomers, that much is for sure. Let’s not count them out yet! Though, between you and me--and our lovely audience, of course--I’m looking forward to seeing you do that snazzy Charizard pose as you claim your prize for another consecutive year. Leon! Could you do us all a favor and show it off for us!

(Leon winks at the camera, stands, and does his signature pose. The studio audience goes wild.)

NEWTON: Alright, folks, stay tuned because after these messages from our sponsors we’ve going to take a look at a replay of Leon’s red hot exhibition match from earlier today! Don’t touch that remote!

(Transition into commercial for Bob’s Your Uncle)
Not all of the story will be written in this style. See ya next time (whenever that may be)!

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Whoa there, using the SwSh hype moment to do a Shield nuzrun is wow. Just, wow. :popcornazurill:

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
This makes me very happy.
I've always loved your runs you posted before.
Super excited to see this one play out.
I wonder how Sir Pallad and his liege are doing.

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
Thanks all of you for the comments! And Sir Pallad and His Majesty are doing just fine other than that run in they had last week with a pesky Gardevoir.
A simple life in a small town, away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Gym challenges… champions… exhibition matches… they all felt so far off, as if they were part of another world. Today, that was all going to change. I walked quietly behind Hop, my neighbor, as we walked toward his house. Hop had been telling story after story about his “amazing brother Lee” for days, and he wasn’t exaggerating. His brother, Leon, was the Galar region’s strongest trainer, the reigning Champion who had yet to lose a battle. He lived out in the city, but today he was coming to visit, and I was about to meet him. I was feeling a little starstruck, and I hadn’t even seen him yet!

“Mum!” Hop said, bursting through the door. “Is he here?!”

Hop’s mother chuckled. “Have some patience, Hop. He probably only just arrived at the station in Wedgehurst!”

“Then we’ll meet him there!” Hop exclaimed. “Lee’s hopeless with directions; he could get lost in a straight hallway.” He turned. “C’mon, Maize! You wouldn’t want to miss your chance to meet the undefeated Champion, would you?”

“That boy never changes,” Hop’s mother said with a chuckle as her son ran out the door. With a quick goodbye, I followed after him, heading down the short path to Wedgehurst.

By the time we arrived in Wedgehurst, it was immediately apparent that Leon had arrived first. A screaming mob had gathered at the entrance of the train station. At its front, Leon engaged the crowd, striking his famous Charizard pose. Hop stood on his tip-toes, trying to get a peek at his brother. I stood back a bit, intimidated by the noisy crowd.

“Hop!” a deep voice rang.

The crowd parted, allowing Leon through.

“So, my number one fan in all the world went out of his way to pick me up.” The Champion ruffled his brother’s hair. “And you must be Maize! Hop has told me all about you.” Leon offered a hand, which I took hesitantly, acutely aware of the eyes of the crowd.

Once Leon had bid farewell to his fans, we were all back at Hop’s house for a celebratory meal. While their mother was preparing, I sat out in the yard with Leon and Hop as the two brothers caught up on their time apart.

“Come on, Lee! I know you brought something for us!” Hop said. “Pokemon! You brought us Pokemon, didn’t you?!”

“Can’t keep anything secret from you, can I?” the Champion asked with a laugh. “Right, then! The greatest gift from the greatest Champion… It’s showtime, everyone!”

Leon procured three Poke Balls from his bag, sending out the Pokemon from inside. Leon introduced the three as Grookey, Scorbunny, and Sobble, and we watched as they played around in the yard. Finally, Leon called for the three, and they came to stand in a line.

“You can choose first, Maize!” Hop offered, easygoing as ever. “I already have Wooloo.”

I stepped forward, looking over each of the three Pokemon. The playful Grookey, energetic Scorbunny, and nervous Sobble all looked me over with equal interest. I wasn’t sure how one was supposed to go about choosing a Pokemon, and I was sure they’d all make wonderful partners. But I did have to choose, so…

“I’ll take Scorbunny, then,” I said, timidly kneeling down in front of the white rabbit. He excitedly hopped a circle around me. With a grin, Leon handed me the Poke Ball.

“Take good care of him, Maize. What are you going to call him?”

I got as close to eye level as I could with my new Pokemon.

“Hello, Scorbunny. My name is Maize. Is it ok if I call you Razz?”

Razz happily hopped up onto my shoulder with a sound that I took as a “yes.” In the meantime, Hop had confidently selected Grookey as his new partner.

“Hey, buddy! I’m aiming to be Champion, so I hope you’re ready to train real hard!”

Our mothers came out to the grill as evening fell, and we spent the evening laughing, eating, and getting to know our new Pokemon partners. It was nothing grand, but I was certain it was a night I wouldn’t forget.
Razz the Scorbunny
Male, level 5
Careful, Blaze
Tackle, Growl
Didn't get very far in this first story update, but there's just a ton of story to get through at the very beginning of the game lol. Hopefully next time I'll make it through Slumbering Weald, which was actually my goal for this chapter before I remembered how much STUFF there was to go through. Not that I mind there being stuff.

It's pretty fun playing the beginning of the game as I'm also finishing up my first playthrough on my main file. I'll probably be finishing tomorrow and the end of the game is going to pose a real challenge in a Nuzlocke I think! Though I won't have to worry about that any time soon, thankfully. I chose Sobble in my casual file and watching Ravey use Scorbunny made me want to use one too, so I opted to use one now. My naming theme for this challenge is Pokemon berries! It's one I've wanted to use forever because it seemed fun, so I'm finally doing it.

For those of you with Sword or Shield, which starter did you choose? How do you feel about this starter trio as a whole?

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
I haven't gotten either Sword or Shield yet, but I've watched various playthroughs of them in Youtube (because I love spoiling myself), so might as well answer the QOTC (Question of the Chapter) here. I'd say that the starters are all adorable. If I have to choose though, I love Scorbunny line's designs the most. Also, I reckon the middle evolution designs are just... weird (though again, Raboot's still makes more sense compared to the other two). That's all from me.

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
I chose Sobble since I always choose the Water starter my first time playing, and I love the whole line. I know a lot of people don't like Intelion, hur I honestly love it. It has a really slick look, and I like that a lot. And Snipe Shot looks awesome. Hell, Pyro Ball looks sick, too. I love that the starter got cinematic moves.

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
Inteleon is definitely my favorite! Snipe Shot has such a great animation even if it's not the most impressive move.
When morning came, Razz was raring to go. I wished I could have that much energy in the morning, but I somewhat grudgingly pulled myself out of my bed to get changed then headed over to Hop’s house.

“Listen up, you two! This is advice from the Champion to two new trainers,” Leon said. “Believe in yourself and your Pokemon! If you trust in one another and keep battling side by side long enough, then someday… you might even become worthy rivals for me, the unbeatable Champion!”

“What are you looking at him for, Lee? I’m the one who’s going to come challenge you!” Hop declared. “If you think Maize may be able to challenge you someday…” He turned to face me with a grin. “Then I guess that makes you my first rival! But don’t think I’m going to lose and miss my chance to beat the unbeatable Champion!”

I looked down at Razz, and he excitedly pumped his paw in the air in response.

“I don’t know how well I can do, but Razz and I are going to give this our all!” I declared, mimicking my partner’s confidence with a raised fist. Leon laughed.

“You two are really getting ahead of yourself!” he said. “How about you fare in a battle before you start talking big?”

I turned to Hop, and we nodded. We took our places on opposite sides of the yard, with Leon standing back to observe. Razz hopped in place in front of me, looking eager to test out his skills.

“Ok, Wooloo, let’s show Maize what we’re made of!”

Hop held out a Poke Ball, sending his Wooloo onto the field. It blinked at me with its adorable eyes, looking like it’s head was only half there.

“Use Tackle, Razz!” I called out. Razz and Wooloo exchanged blows, but Razz was clearly stronger. We couldn’t rest easy just yet, though--Hop still had another Pokemon. Razz looked ready to try out something new as Grookey hit the field. He spit an Ember out toward the grass type. Hop didn’t look ready to give up, so Grookey scratched at Razz, but type advantage won the day, finishing out the battle in my favor.

“Well that was a shock… You beat my two Pokemon with your one!” Hop said, looking disappointed.

“You both fought hard, and you have real promise,” Leon said. “Maize, I’ve got a favor to ask you. Be a real rival to Hop, would you? I want to see the two of you push each other to new heights!”

I nodded. Leon gave me a thumbs up, and I swelled with pride for having earned his approval.

“Ok, Lee, you’ve seen me battle now, so come on! You have to let me take on the Pokemon Gyms!” Hop declared.

“The Gym Challenge?” Leon repeated. “The greatest challenge in the Galar region? If that’s what you really want, you two still have a whole lot you need to learn about Pokemon! Before you think about getting Gym Badges, best to think about getting a Pokedex. Why don’t you two start by going to see the professor in Wedgehurst?”

“Fine, then, we’re off to Wedgehurst! Completing the Pokedex will be a cinch for the new greatest trainer of the Galar region!” Hop said. “Come on, Maize, let’s go!”

We rushed off to leave Postwick, but were stopped in our tracks at the sound of a loud thud. We turned just in time to see a ball of white wool rolling into the trees of Slumbering Weald, the wooden gate on the bath busted wide open. Hop and I looked at each other in shock--we had always been warned never to go into Slumbering Weald. Finally breaking out of his silence, Hop spoke.

“Maize, did you see that?! Wooloo went into Slumbering Weald! But… it’s off limits! I remember hearing that the professor’s granddaughter went in once, and she came back in quite a state… What should we do?”

Slumbering Weald… ever since my mum and I had moved to this town, I had been told time and again not to go in. I wasn’t sure what was in there, but it had to be dangerous. Still…

I looked down toward my feet, where Razz nodded at me in encouragement, no hesitation in his eyes.

“We have to go after it, Hop! We can’t just stand here and pretend we didn’t see anything!”

Hop nodded. “Right! Even if we’re not supposed to, sometimes you just have to do what’s needed! Come on, Maize! We’re going in.”

And so Hop and I headed into the unknowns of the forest before us. The place was eerily quiet with an atmosphere that was unexpectedly serene, though that didn’t keep my heart from pounding in my chest. Fog wrapped around us, making it impossible to see what was waiting for us farther in. There was no sign of Wooloo.

“Come on, let’s keep going. We’ve got to find Wooloo!” Hop said.

As we made our way deeper into the trees, the fog only grew denser. Just as I was beginning to consider suggesting we might head back to see if Wooloo had found the exit on its own, a distant roar echoed through the forest.

“What was that?” I asked, shaken.

“I don’t know… But Wooloo might be in real trouble! We need to hurry, Maize!”

The thought that we might be in real trouble too flashed through my mind. Pushing back my more rational mind, I followed Hop as we continued down the path.

“This is mad… I can’t even see my hand in front of my face!” Hop said, only his silhouette visible to me as we entered even thicker fog.

“Maybe we should head back,” I suggested. I was reluctant to leave Wooloo behind, but getting ourselves hopelessly lost wouldn’t do any good, either. Before Hop could answer, I felt a chill down my spine as a shadowy figure approached us, indistinct in the fog. It roared, and I flinched backward, wondering just what we had gotten ourselves into. Razz hopped fearlessly in front of me, spitting an Ember toward our mysterious opponent, but the flame seemed to be absorbed by the very air around it.

“We can’t fight it… What should we do, Hop?!”

“I-I don’t know!”

The creature roared again, and the fog around us thickened. I couldn’t see Razz.

“Razz! Are you ok?!”

My partner shouted back a calm answer, and I breathed a sigh of relief. I wouldn’t forgive myself if he got hurt because of our impulsive decision. Another Ember shot through the air, just barely visible through the fog. The creature roared once more, and the fog engulfed everything. I dropped on my knees, grabbing blindly for Razz and pulling him to my chest.

I closed my eyes, and everything went blank. I’m not sure how much time passed, but when my eyes finally opened again, I felt groggy. The fog wasn’t gone, but it was lighter. Razz was still with me. I let out a deep, relieved sigh.

“Hop! Maize!”

Leon ran up to us, clearly out of breath.

“You two had me worried sick! You never showed up at the lab, so I came looking for you. You know this place is off limits.”

“Wooloo…” Hop said. “We were looking for the Wooloo! Where’s Wooloo?”

“Wooloo is just fine,” Leon said, gesturing over to where Charizard stood looming over the little sheep, no longer lost. “You two acted recklessly… but I understand why you did it, and it took courage to come in here. You did good, Hop.”

Leon flashed his brother a proud grin.

“I thought we were done for when that weird Pokemon showed up… But I guess all’s well that ends well,” Hop said. “I’m glad Wooloo is alright.”

“Weird Pokemon?” Leon asked.

“Yeah,” I piped in. “It had some kind of aura around it… and Razz’s moves didn’t do anything at all. It’s like they passed right through it!”

“So, the fearsome Pokemon that live in Slumbering Weald… Are they actually just illusions or something?” Leon mused. “If you two get strong enough, you may very well be able to solve that mystery one day. But for now, we need to get you back to town. Come on, you two.”

He would hear no objections from Maize. She was more than happy to leave Slumbering Weald and its many mysteries behind.
I don't have any idea whether Razz leveled up in the Slumbering Weald or not, but basically no team changes this update so I won't bother reposting it. Next up I'll get to catch some new team members and grab a Pokedex.

I really enjoyed the Slumbering Weald scene at the start of the game, and I thought it was really cool that we get to see the box legendary so early. Definitely surprised me and got me hyped to see where things would go from there! This game managed it's atmosphere so well throughout, and I appreciate it a lot. It really keeps things feeling fresh.

Last edited:

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
I loved the opening scene in the Slumbering Weald.
I was really surprised to see the Legendary and "battle" it. The whole scene was really well done.
Not to mention the Wooloo trying to destroy the fence was so damn adorable.

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
Wooloo in GENERAL is so adorable.
After taking a moment to compose myself and talk to Mum about my plans, I finally started out for the Research Lab in Wedgehurst. I used some spare Poke Balls Mum had given me to catch my first wild Pokemon, a Blipbug named Leppa. Otherwise, the trip was rather uneventful. I met Leon outside of the lab, and we headed inside together. We were greeted by a happy little Yamper with a wagging tail.

“Yamper! How are you doing, buddy?” Leon asked, kneeling down to pet the little ball of excitement. “Maize, this is Yamper! He’s a real champ at helping you find your way around. He came to my rescue plenty of times back in the day when I got lost on the road.” Near the upstairs bookshelves, someone cleared their throat. Maize looked up to find a girl around Leon’s age looking down at them.

“Yamper helped you out, huh, Leon? And what am I, Yamper’s sidekick?” the girl asked, her arms crossed. Leon laughed.

“Oh, uh, that’s Yamper’s trainer, Sonia. She’s… hm, well she’s a really good cook!”

“What kind of introduction is that?!” Sonia asked as she reached the bottom of the stairs. “Did you forget we were rivals during our Gym Challenge?” Leon shrugged innocently. Sonia turned to me. “Nice to meet you! As this big lunkhead said, my name is Sonia! I’m the professor’s assistant.”

Once introductions were out of the way, Sonia gifted me my very own Pokedex, letting me know that it was a gift from her grandmother, the professor. After thanking her for her time, I started back out, meeting Hop in town and agreeing to go with him to see the professor in hopes of finding help getting endorsed for the Gym Challenge.

It was a relatively straightforward walk down Route 2. I battled some trainers along the way and captured another team member, a Rookiedee I named Bluk. We got some good training in, and I arrived at the professor’s house around the same time as Hop. Leon had beat us there and was in the middle of a nice chat with the professor about the mysteries of the Dynamax phenomenon.

“Hop, it’s good to see you,” the older woman said, turning to us. “And you must be Maize. I’m Professor Magnolia, it’s a pleasure. Shall we go inside, dears?” The kindly woman led us all into her home.

“Professor! You’ve got to help us convince Lee to endorse us for the Gym Challenge!” Hop said, getting straight to the point.

“Leon… Why won’t you endorse them?” Magnolia asked.

“Well… they only just started out as Pokemon trainers,” Leon replied. “There’s still loads they don’t know yet!”
“Dearie, your dream is to have everyone in Galar become strong Pokemon trainers, isn’t that right?” She stared at him with eyes Maize was certain could pierce a person’s soul.

“Well, yeah, you’re not wrong… That dream is the reason I gave them both a Pokemon in the first place.” Leon looked thoughtful for a moment, then turned to face us. “Ok, you two. I want you to show me such a brilliant battle I have no choice but to endorse you. Fair?”

“YES!” Hop exclaimed. “Come on Maize, we’ve gotta get that endorsement!”

We stepped outside, both ready for another battle. Leon stood off to the side, giving us his usual, supportive smile.

“Ok, Maize, come at me with everything you’ve got so we can prove to Lee that we’ve got what it takes!”

We each sent out our first Pokemon, Wooloo on Hop’s side and Leppa on mine. We traded blows, but it quickly seemed like Leppa was being worn out. I swapped her out for Bluk, who was able to overpower Wooloo. Razz was the clear choice for Hop’s Grookey as always, taking advantage of his fire type Ember. Bluk came back out to fight Hop’s own Rookiedee and proved herself stronger, finishing the battle in my favor once again. I was… a little surprised by how naturally this battling thing seemed to come to me.

“The sting of defeat and the joy of victory… I guess feeling both is how we’ll get stronger,” Hop said, looking disappointed. I hadn’t felt that sting of defeat yet… but I wisely opted to keep that to myself.

“After a battle like that one… I suppose I have little choice but to give you my endorsement as Champion!” Leon said, placing a hand on each of our shoulders. “I’m proud of you kids.” With another look as us and a nod, Leon jotted out a quick letter for each of us, declaring our eligibility to participate in this year’s Gym Challenge.

“Thanks, Lee!” Hop said. “I swear I’m going to win my way through the Gym Challenge to reach you!”

“I’m looking forward to it, little bro. Both of you… that was an excellent, exciting battle! Hop… I was worried about you, since you tend to get caught up in things that don’t matter, like how you throw your Poke Balls out, but it seems you really have grown a bit. And Maize… I’m looking forward to seeing what kind of thrilling Pokemon battled you get into!”

“This is it, Maize! We’re going to train hard against one another and aim for the Champion’s title!” Hop declared. Just then, something sparkled above us, sailing to the ground near the riverbank. Hop ran over.

“Woah, Wishing Stars!” he said, picking up two sparkling rocks and handing one to me. “With this, my Pokemon will be able to Dynamax!” Hop looked up to the sky and, at the top of his lungs, shouted. “I’m going to be the greatest trainer ever!!”

“Now, now, don’t get too far ahead of yourself,” Magnolia said. “Those Wishing Stars won’t do anything for you in that state, but give them to me and I’ll get you sorted. Come on now, why don’t you two come in for dinner? I’ll call Sonia over.”

Suddenly, I felt famished. We looked at each other and nodded. I was filled with excitement for the journey ahead.
Disclaimer: I think I may(??) have forgotten to update my levels here (except for Scorbunny) but it's what I have recorded so uh there ya go

Razz the Scorbunny
Male, level 10
Careful, Blaze
Tackle, Growl, Ember, Quick Attack

Leppa the Blipbug
Female, level 4
Docile, Compound Eyes
Struggle Bug

Bluk the Rookiedee
Female, level 5
Serious, Keen Eye
Peck, Leer, Power Trip
I totally derped and didn't write any noted on this battle until after it was over so this is just a very vague summary lol. It wasn't a very exciting battle anyway, honestly, so you didn't miss much. I was pretty hype to get Blipbug for my first encounter since it seems like a fun early-game bug. Rookiedee I'm pretty neutral about, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Kind of a shame I didn't get the absolutely adorable Wooloo, though...

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
I like the naming theme. There are plenty of berries, too. Waiting for the eventual Dark type named Enigma.
Blipbug is cool, but I eventually replaced it for Sizzipede because I love that line.
And Centiskorch is now one of my best team members.