• Staff Applications

Hello fellow Marrilanders! We have reached a point for our staff team where recruiting new members is necessary — so we are opening up applications!
    If you are interested, you can find more information in this thread.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET ANY MOVE ON ANY POKEMON W/O HACKING?

guest1783

Rare Stone Hunter
Time Zone
EST
via some clever strategy like gardevoir's trace ability, ditto's transform/imposter, sketch, and mirror move? and things like ring target or even maybe zoroark's Illusion ability?
mimic....
or copy cat. focus sash. etc....
if you can answer this question, also where is your proof?
there is a smeargle in rt2 bush and other stuff. like SOS chaining and a ditto in mt hokulani near the NPC magmar standing by the bus.
it could also possibly have something to do with double battle trainers

Last edited:

Kyogre386

Junior Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
UTC-05:00
There was in Japanese Diamond and Pearl. But it was a glitch and they fixed it. Also it wasn't every Pokemon, just all Gen III and earlier Pokemon that could learn TMs and the few Gen IV Pokemon that could learn Mimic.

There's certainly no way without glitching, Gamefreak would never allow that intentionally. And there are no post-Gen IV glitches to utilize. So no. They thought of everything. The only move that permanently changes the moveset is Sketch, it is only learned naturally by Smeargle, it fails when Transformed (except in Generation II), cannot be called by Metronome, Copycat, or Assist, Mimic fails on it, Mirror Move just Sketches right back and Sketch fails on itself, and Me First won't work as it isn't damage-dealing.

If someone knew a way, everyone would know a way.

guest1783

Rare Stone Hunter
Time Zone
EST
I am still trying to test, see, and find out myself! :happy:

Last edited:

guest1783

Rare Stone Hunter
Time Zone
EST
have you tried mirror move on your own ally that uses sketch, in a double battle in -game double battle trainer? and what about using the ability trace to copy imposter? i would try those dittos in mount hokulani. i did not have time to test because I was getting my VGC team readied and was searching for all the tm's.

so far what i did was i got a king's shield on my smeargle and it took awhile to get this done because i had to obtain an aegislash from xy. in that time i also finally caught the zygarde in that game which i put off for a long time over 2 years, til now. i am now in ultra space and i reached about 3000 something light years on it, for a record and caught kartana and reshiram, and could have caught buzzwole.

I just made a milestone by capturing a timid 4 star Imposter ditto via SOS, holding quick powder. this should help me test, better.

here is the experiment:
when the wild ditto transforms, it will transform into my imposter ditto that was switched in, and activating imposter.
maybe this will not work because before that happens my own ditto transformed into the limber wild ditto.

gardevoir's trace would only trace the pokemon that was already there that had an ability different from imposter or limber. and will not trace the imposter ability because trace activates first the pokemon already out and imposter ability is already gone from being used up so soon before i can trace it.

there is also power of alchemy and skill swap/transform? so the wild ditto would take on that ability.

2:06pm i am back to researching this.
here is what i found so far.
sometimes getting a ditto or smeargle again, can be very difficult and the chance rate on serebii.net is not true. i think it works more so like roto loto does.
once you "use it up", you run out of chances. and sometimes like with getting two eggs in same time, you can have roto lotos played consecutively. similar to the idea of a vending machine sometimes giving an extra can of soda by mechanical error. for example i had to battle wild pokemon, then run away, like up to 17 times to get another smeargle again. similar thing with dittos (i didnt count), whereas other times i could catch or encounter a smeargle a lot earlier and sooner.

when i sent out my smeargle with transform and faced off two mirror move knowing fearows, the fearows tried using mirror move but its mirror move failed.
i am not quite sure why this happened. it did this with dark void as well (mirror move failed to copy dark void).

when i sent out my imposter ditto out against a wild ditto, my imposter ditto immediately transformed into the wild ditto, also copying its ability.
....i am still in this battle right now in real time.

also there is the idea of testing out battle theories against myself in battle. i battle myself using two separate 2ds'es. I still have to catch a hidden ability alolan grimer and evolve it into an alolan muk.

when i sent out my imposter ditto out against a wild ditto, my imposter ditto immediately transformed into the wild ditto, also copying its ability.
....i am still in this battle right now in real time...................continued:
i tried using transform on my ditto on the wild ditto. it says it failed.
i switched in my gardevoir, trace ability copied wild ditto's limber ability.
wild ditto transformed into my gardevoir, taking the ability limber.
the wild ditto on the right that transformed into my gardevoir had limber, confirmed with skill swap.
i switch in my smeargle have ditto transform into smeargle, knowing mirror move.
i used mirror move on my smeargle on gardevoir and it copied ditto's (gardevoir's) hidden power and hit ditto (gardevoir) for a ko.

the ditto that transformed into my smeargle, tried to use the move transform which was included on my smeargle it transformed into.
ditto (smeargle) tried to transform into my mawile and it says it "failed"
at the end of the turn another ditto appeared! (sos called)

what if i switched in my gardevoir at the exact same timing that the imposter ditto comes out?
it will not work because gardevoir comes out during the turn and imposter ditto comes out at the very end of a turn and there has to be a pokemon out at the same timing when the imposter ditto comes out and activation of ability order precedence matching so it works. even if i sent out my trace gardevoir out, the trace ability would immediately activatate as soon as it is out and trace will change that fast to being limber. and when imposter ditto is called at the end of the turn them that ability activates to be limber same as my gardevoir's and transform into my gardevoir as well. meaning imposter ability is not conserved.
but what if i played ORAS or XY and i faced a pokemon in the wild that already has either imposter or trace ability from the start? then i use skill swap? it probaby wont work either because i would need several in either a 2 vs 2 battle or a horde.

i will try to catch an imposter ditto now, rename it, then acquire the alolan muk hidden ability pokemon.

to continue...

I am trying to catch the Alolan Muk right now in sos battle of a Hardy Nature.

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Fiery Trainer
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@guest1783 Hello! I've merged your last five posts in this thread together. In the future, please be aware that posting multiple times in a row (aka double posting) in a short time frame is against the rules of our forums:
Marill said:
Before double posting, users must wait a full twenty-four hours, and may not do so more than once unless they are the creator of the thread in question.
Whenever you have more you'd like to add, don't hesitate to use that Edit button!