Isa's Reviews On Movies / T.V. Shows

Mystical

Glutu Malu Soñi
Cult Classic
I watched Mary Poppins yesterday and I decided to make a thread with my opinions on movies I've watched and will watch this year, with rating scores. Feel free to agree or disagree, I just request you be tolerant. My opinions may not reflect the majority's, so take them with a grain of salt.

Is this a copy of EWW or Godot's reviews? I hope not, lol, since they all have their own style and I want yo write in my own style. Not everything will be bad but not everything will be good, either.

Movies to rate:
-Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2
-The return of Mary Poppins
-The Mule​

Last edited:

Mystical

Glutu Malu Soñi
Cult Classic
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2

I had seen the first movie and wanted to see this second one. While it's not a cinematic wonder by any means, I was left satisfied. This movie explains Flint's obsession with science and crazy inventions through Chester. It follows through with the initial plot device about how food comes to life. (Don't think about it. Just accept it.)

When Chester, Flint's childhood hero, asks him to relocate so they can clean the island and he can follow his dreams of becoming a renowned scientist, he accepts the proposition. The movie makes this offer seem evidently dangerous from the beginning, and the characters evidently blind for taking this offer. The police guy even says "okay, suspicious ghost guy, if you say so" and follows because he preferred not to question the authority of the yellow tape. Then, Chester purposefully manipulates Flint to distancing himself from his friends, though he's reluctant to do so. Finally, he realizes he was just being played and helps fix his mistakes and ultimately defeat the "evil" corp.

All in all, I think it's a light comedy, and the use of evident tropes only really helps it.

Really, I'd give it a 10/10 for what it was. No high expectations for it, and it was ingenious even so.

Last edited:

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
Hey, Isa, love your first movie review. And no, what you're doing isn't too similar to a certain other review thread. Honestly I've seen both Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs and I loved both of them. I'll definitely be watching this thread from here on out, good luck to ya.

Mystical

Glutu Malu Soñi
Cult Classic
Thank you a lot, Godot! Haha yeah, love your style and definitely don't want to copy it, so good. And nice, I liked both of them as well.

Well, on to the next one.

The Return of Mary Poppins
This was definitely an interesting movie. I really tried to get into it, keeping in mind that things were going to be different to the first movie, but to be honest I was left sort of disappointed. I'm trying to review it first as a standalone movie. As in, not comparing it to the original Mary Poppins movie.

So I haven't read the Mary Poppins story, but I've heard that this movie is more similar to the story that the original movie was, at least in terms of Mary Poppin's personality. So credit for that. Be aware that there may be some spoilers in my review, so if you would rather not get spoiled, skip this part. the story.

Anyway, the family has suffered from a loss: Michael's wife and the children's mother. They are trying to overcome that, but on top of that loss, they are going to lose their house because Michael asked for a loan from the bank. So Mary Poppins returns to bring magic back and "take care of the Banks children again". So they have a few magical adventures and try to find the certificate that George Banks had shares in the bank so they can use those shares to pay the debt.

In the end, things work out well for everyone and the family goes happily up.

To me, at least, it lacked some story depth, to be honest. We know the mother was an important person, but we don't know much about her to relate to the emotional loss they are going through and this is never really solved apart from "things are never really lost". We see hints of romance between the local leerie and Jane, but that's not really that important to the story. And the broken bowl is forgotten about completely after leaving it off to get it fixed. Plus, the main plot point isn't even that necessary because of a bank deposit they had made years ago.

Besides all that, the songs were good but not spectacular. Some people say they loved them, but I have heard other catchier and more magical tunes. The acting was all right, the sceneries were nice, but I wish we would have gotten to see more of the context of the movie. As in, what was happening with everyone outside of
the bank apparently just taking people's monies out of greed for no other apparent reason.

Like I said on another thread, I'm giving this movie a 7/10, though if I was to compare it to the original one and nitpick, I could be rating it lower. But, well, for now I'll stay with that 7/10. Enjoyable but could have been done better.

Mystical

Glutu Malu Soñi
Cult Classic
Ok this isn't a movie, but a show. Once Upon A Time. It's basically a mash of fairy tails and Disney references, but twisted.

The basic premise, and what the first episode shows, has to do with a fairy tail we all know well: Snow White. The first episode shows Prince Charming riding his horse to save Snow White. But once he finds her, the dwarfs tell him she's dead. Despite this, he gives her one last kiss, and she wakes up.

So because the Evil Queen didn't win, she cast a curse that would send all the fairy tail characters into a world without magic: our world. And the curse must be broken by Snow's and Charming's daughter.

I will admit some arcs are developed in one episode and then forgotten or not given a lot of importance, which is sad. But overall, in my opinion, despite the flaws, the writers manage to create a compelling story where one normal woman must become the hero and the villains are given a chance at redemption. Nothing is really as it seems.

Negative commentary:
-I would have liked it if all the arcs were actually concluded even if they are small.
-Sometimes it seemed like the writers threw in references just for the sake of it.
-Some characters grow up fast (the kid actors). Which can't really be helped, but I wish they could have given a reasonable explanation within the show about why.

Positive commentary:
-I love the worldbuilding and character backstories. Gives some depth to classic characters we would normally not think twice about.
-The message about strength, love, forgiveness and redemption.
-I like the way the episodes unfold: the main story is paralleled by backstory, mostly of the Enchanted Forest. This buildup helps the suspense and we only get to see one piece of the puzzle at once (though this can also become confusing or create some unfinished arcs that are sometimes only really there for the episode's conveniente.
-The acting. Most of it is done really well by actors like Lana Parilla and Robert Carlyle.

I personally give the series a 9. Not perfect, could definitely be improved on, but still really good.

Mystical

Glutu Malu Soñi
Cult Classic
I'll talk about OUAT again because I'm rewatching it. Spoilers ahead!

Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold
He's so badass, gosh. The series should have him as a protagonist because his backstory is really interesting. He originally becomes the Dark One to save his son from the ogre wars. He makes a living by making deals. So of course in Storybrooke he's a pawnbroker. He has selfless and selfish plans. And Robert Carlyle's acting is on point. Seriously. Well, anyway, he Sort of gets corrupted by magic and he can see the future so he plans ahead.

True Love
So we hear a lot about true love in fairy tales. But they twist the concept a bit here, which I'm not sure about. To explain, basically the whole reason why the Evil Queen is so set on making Snow miserable is because she kind of ruined the queen's chance at a happy ending (accidentally). And then at some point Snow loses her memories of ever meeting Prince Charming and becomes set on revenge too. Like, with the Queen it makes more sense because it's been building, though at the same time Regina is really taking things out of proportion, but at least she'd done evil things in the past so her heart was already tainted by evil. But Snow White is practically the embodiment of goodness, so how does forgetting someone she only met a couple of days ago change her so much? (To be fair he is her true love but... Still?) Like, dang. Imagine if people were that petty in real life.....

Mystical

Glutu Malu Soñi
Cult Classic

Mamma Mia
I've been listening to a lot of songs from this movie lately and I want to watch it again. But until then I wanted to talk about the songs.

The talented actors in this movie also have great voices, and something I really loved about the movie was how the songs really fit with the plot and tell a story on their own. The difference is that the movie was Made to fit the songs and not the other way around. So you see songs like "Our Last Summer" or "The Winner Takes it All". The scenes in the movie are beautifully made, with gorgeous scenary and emotional singing.

I could feel the nostalgia in Our Last Summer and Colin Firth has a very gentle and sweet voice. And it's really nice how the three guys tell Sophie about their time with her mom.

And in The Winner Takes It All maybe Meryl Streep doesn't sing perfectly but heck, the emotion in her voice really moved me. It was a very emotional scene, and you can hear how Donna is melancholic and defeated but she doesn't want to have any bad feelings towards Sam (Pierce Brosnan's character).