• Staff Applications

Hello fellow Marrilanders! We have reached a point for our staff team where recruiting new members is necessary — so we are opening up applications!
    If you are interested, you can find more information in this thread.

Junichi Masuda likely stepping away as director of future Pokemon games

Matthew

Tech Enthusiast
Time Zone
Central
Numerous articles have been released saying how Junichi Masuda is likely stepping away as director of the Pokemon games.

Here is a quote from Masuda:
It's important to have the younger generation at GAME FREAK take over the development of Pokémon as a series. I do believe this will probably be, in terms of the main Pokémon RPGs, the last time that I work as the director.

This should probably be taken with a grain of salt, but if Masuda does step away, I think it's a very wise and respectable decision. In my opinion, Pokemon games have been getting stale, and we need a younger generation to switch up the formula.

A few article links:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...l_time_junichi_masuda_directs_the_main_series
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...-last-pokemon-game-junichi-masuda-will-direct
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._be_last_director_role_for_Junichi_Masuda.php

Fafrir

Dragon of Light
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan (-6 GMT)
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
Soon TM
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
Yeah, I'm definitely with you. When Let's Go was announced, I thought it looked okay at best and that only declined after I saw the trailers and the gameplay. Everything about it looked so cheap, boring, stale, and holds your hand all for the price of $80 (in Canada), which is the opposite of what we wanted. Instead, they passed it off as "this is for casuals, kids, and newcomers" and I feel they deserve a better product, especially since the older games are casual friendly and full of content. Masuda stepping down as director would not only help the series grow but hopefully keep in touch with what fans want in a Pokemon game because I feel he's out of touch.

DozerZigashi

Junior Trainer
I think the entire scenario is a bit interesting. I do agree that the last wave of main series Pokemon Games have felt a bit...bland. But Masuda wasn't credited as a director for a Main Series Pokemon game since X & Y (the last main series games I throughally enjoyed). Let's GO is his first game as director since Gen 6. But then again, that's just going off of credits. There's no way to tell how involved he has been in games that were directed by others. Regardless, I feel it's safe to say he's probably been working on stepping back for a while now, letting the newer directors take the games in different directions. Mostly Shigeru Ohmori who was the director for ORAS and Sun & Moon.

Resolute

Really Useful Engine
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
While I certainly recognize Mr. Masuda's contributions to the franchise (of which there are easily too many to name) since it's inception, I'm curious to see what the younger GF employees bring to the table.

All I can say is that they better not implement lootboxes or crap like that.

Pendraflare

Dragon of Dark
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
So this is it for him, huh? As many have said, it will be interesting to see what the next employees might have to give us in time. I mean, Morimoto made some of the most famous works, and there were others that had credit from employees we haven't had much from (B2W2), so this could make for a fascinating touch on the coming games next year.

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
For what it's worth, he wasn't always like this. When he directed Ruby/Sapphire and Black/White, he oversaw the development of two pretty respectable games, if I'm going to be honest. I think it was over time that he gradually became disconnected from what the general playerbase would want and eventually leaned more towards newcomers and more casual players, while unfortunately (whether intentional or not remains to be seen) neglecting the wishes of the more veteran userbase.

For some reason, he seems to think that throwing Kanto at the veteran userbase is going to keep them satiated. But it's likely that this is Kanto's last go round for a while, otherwise it's going to be an extremely stale experience if it's ever re-used at any point in the near future.

Anyway, l'm also personally looking forward what his successor will bring to the table. Hopefully Gen 8 will feel like a breath of fresh air!

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Masuda stepping down was probably for the best. He’s an amazing composer, but he really seems to think kids are dumber nowadays. I hope the younger employees can give the series the passion it deserves.

AKA
Chris
Time Zone
UTC-05:00
I wonder if he will still be involved at least? He's not directed Pokemon games before, but it would feel weird to not have him there at all.

I've actually liked the recent Pokemon games, and ORAS are my favorites to date (though I've always been a huge Hoenn fan). There are definitely trends in the newer games I haven't been happy with though, particularly the obsession with trying to compete with mobile games rather than just competing within the sphere of traditional console gaming. That was one reason we didn't get a Battle Frontier in ORAS IIRC, and is also related to the games holding your hand way too much and a decrease in mazes/puzzles, something I really miss. I enjoyed finding out where I was supposed to go on my own as a kid, like an RPG is supposed to be, and it's a shame the newer generation won't be getting that at the rate we are going.