Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Hello hello!

Some of you may know me for my Pokemon challenge runs, but I am also an artist. I have showed off some of my artwork in the past, which consisted mostly of human character illustrations. After being a Pokemon fan for give or take twenty years, it is pretty embarassing to admit that I am actually not all that good at drawing the different creatures.

To push myself to get better at drawing non-human characters AND develop somewhat of an own style in drawing them (since I don't want to just copy the Ken Sugimori artwork), I've decide to challenge myself in an attempt to draw all original 151 Pokemon. There is no set time limit for this, so I will be going at my own pace depending on how much time I have to draw, etc...

Since I didn't want to just jump into this without getting at least some artwork done, I waited to post this thread until I finished the first three evolution lines featuring Kanto's lovely starters~ I also made a shiny version for each evolution line since this doesn't require much extra work, just some playing around with the hue/saturation tool.

Even though I did these in dex order, I am actually not sure yet whether I want to keep on following the numerical order or if I'll kind of jump around depending on which evolution line I feel like drawing. I do like the idea of grouping them together, so I'll try to do that with even the Pokemon that don't evolve. (E.g. Electabuzz, Magmar and Jynx as a trio)

Also if you guys have any suggestions of which Pokemon you want to see next, feel free to comment below. Just keep in mind that I am only doing the ORIGINAL 151 for now. Depending on how smoothly this goes, I might branch out to other generations. :3

That's it for now! Hope you guys enjoy the art. If you do, feel free to leave a reaction on this posts. ^^ Any type of feedback or criticism is welcome as well!

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
The chibi Kanto starters look cute! You're pretty talented. c:

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
wowow CUTE uwu
the texture is a nice touch!

mayhaps consider turning those into stickers...
Thank you very much!

I actually talked about this on the Discord server this morning! I would love to make some sort of merch out of these (whether stickers or buttons) but I don't really have the resources at the moment. ^^;;

I believe there's certain sites that can help you with that but I have zero experience with those.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Thank you to everyone who left a sweet comment or liked the first post! This really motivated me to keep going with this!

So, who is ready for some cute ******s?

Ironically enough, I think I did a better job at the Weedle line than the Caterpie line even though I like the latter much more. I had some trouble with Caterpie's eyes since they don't really fit in with the style I have been going for so far. I eventually decided I want them closed and looked up some references from the anime but it still looks a little odd. ;;

Last edited:

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Wow, your art looks amazing! I definitely couldn't tell that you don't have much experience drawing these!

As for suggestions, I'm looking forward to seeing Seel and Dewgong's derpy faces :3

Vivid Stardust

~ Like Stars In The Sky ~
AKA
Vivid, Apollo
Your art is super cute Kaori! Are you planning on doing every Pokémon from every region at some point, or are you just going to stick to the original 151? (I don’t blame you if you’re planning on just doing the Kanto Pokémon; drawing so many things/Pokémon is a lot of work!)

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Calaf I'm guessing that having drawing experience in general is making this a little easier. Then again, animal/creature anatomy is so vastly different from human anatomy, I'm very thankful there's plenty of references for these available.

@Vivid Stardust For now I'm only planning on doing the original 151 as a way to improve my Pokemon drawing skills. However, depending on how burnt out I am by the end of it, I may eventually expand it to the other generations. If I don't do them all, I'll probably be taking requests from time to time where people can suggest their favs from future gens and I'll draw those in my style. I'd also like to draw some of my personal favorites like Togekiss and Primarina~

---

Up next are the generic 'route 1' critters of Kanto!

One thing I discovered this way is that...Birds are freaking hard to draw! I'm definitely not looking forward to drawing some of the other birds in this generation, most notably stuff like Fearow or Moltres which already have awkward looking anatomy/proportions...

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i've been following these and haven't said anything so i just want you to know i love them dearly! and it's inspirational to me because i've been wanting to sharpen my art skills too but have had zero motivation. watching you do all these and even make shinies for them is so cool. i really look up to your talent and dedication!!

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
WTF the colouring on these just makes it 1000% cuter even though the original drawings looked nice! Good luck with all of them!! Not sure how this art style would translate to gyarados, but that’s something to look forward to

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@shhmew Oh my god. > /// < I don't deserve your sweet words! Trust me, I know exactly what it feels like to want to get better at art but at the same time lack motivation!! I think the reason why I'm having so much fun with these is because it's a fresh experience?

I've always been drawing humans, fussing over anatomy, etc... But with these every Pokemon is different so it never gets boring!

I hope you can find the motivation to draw again soon as well. <3

@Moxie I feel like there's already a cute version of every Pokemon out there, so in that sense these aren't that unique. xD Gyarados will definitely be challenging though.

---

Next up are the Spearow and Ekans lines! The first definitely gave me a headache but thankfully I got to draw some cute snakes afterwards to cleanse my soul from the demon known as Fearow's anatomy.

I drew like 15 different Fearows and none of them looked right. So in the end I gave up and drew this sleeping Fearow who looks like a couch potato lol. In my mind he filled his belly with berries and passed out afterwards. (Hey that kind of reminds me of me after I stuff myself)

I love, love, love the way Ekans turned out even if the design isn't 100% true to the original. I love all the cute snek memes/drawing online of people booping their little nose. I wanted to draw a happy snek boi and that's exactly what I did.

Also can they please stop with the hideous green and yellow color combinations for these shinies? They just don't look good. ;;;

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Biohazard I'm glad you like them! ^^

---

What's this? It's time for the franchise's mascot?

Personally, I'm a stan of the original chunky Pikachu from the original anime, so I tried to draw him more in that style.

I'm also more of a Raichu than a Pikachu fan because I think Raichu is way cuter than Pikachu is whoops.

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Apparently kaori endorses this behaviour.
Though I would agree if you mean alolan raichu. They’re both precious though

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Moxie Don't kinkshame me like thatー

Alolan Raichu is on a different level of cuteness. It has surpassed the scales.

---

Next up are some cute moles...mice...? I'm honestly not quite sure what Sandshrew and Sandslash are supposed to be. They dig under ground which makes me thing of moles, but according to the Pokedex, Sandshrew is 'the mouse Pokemon'.

Either way, I was kind of feeling meh throughout today because I caught a cold, so I drew both of them in lazy-ish poses to reflect my mood.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
These are all amazing!!

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Dregran Thank you very much!

---

I've come down with a bit of a cold so I don't really have the energy to do anything serious so I've mostly been drawing all day. ^^;;

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Next up are these adorable pink blobs! They have always been some of my favorite generation 1 Pokemon and I grew to love Clefable even more after it turned out to be the MVP of my Fire Red Scramble Nuzlocke.