~Kilza~ and the Mysterious Islands of Alola (First Time Ultra Moon Playthrough) (Complete!)

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)

Background Info:
So before I had come back to Azurilland in 2017, I was honestly not that into Pokemon. I had skipped Gen 5, would've skipped Gen 6 had I not been able to get Y for free and skipped Gen 7. I also basically hadn't really played a Pokemon game in several years. However, thanks to the community and more specifically Azurilland Plays, my interest in the Pokemon franchise has been reinvigorated. I've ended up playing through several of the games in AzuriPlays (Black, Platinum, Y, HeartGold, SoulSilver) and I had decided I wanted to play Gens 2 and 7 at some point, the only gens for which I hadn't played a game.

So that changed Nov. 22/23. I ended up buying Ultra Moon because it was on sale thanks to Black Friday (and also because I had a gift card to Best Buy), and I bought Crystal since at that point I might as well get it so I can play through the two remaining gens I hadn't yet played. I got UM on Nov. 30, and I waited until I was on break from work to start playing it. And so I thought, hey, why not do a thread for this so I can post my reactions to seeing this game for the very first time?

This is very much a casual playthrough. I'll just write as I go, it'll probably suck since I'm not really used to writing about a gosh dang video game while I'm playing it but hey, hopefully somebody out there enjoys it. There aren't any special rules. Really, the only rule is to have fun. But please, do not spoil anything for me. That'd just ruin the fun of playing this game for the very first time! Comments about how things are going are always welcome, of course!

Honestly, I have no idea how documenting this will go, but hey, let's go do this and hope I don't give up after like 2 updates!

Hall of Fame Team:
:primarina: Nurse (M)
Lv. 68
Nature: Relaxed / Ability: Torrent / Characteristic: Good perseverance

:vikavolt: Vasilevski (F)
Lv. 68
Nature: Serious / Ability: Levitate / Characteristic: Highly curious

:mudsdale: Rantanen (F)
Lv. 67
Nature: Modest / Ability: Stamina / Characteristic: A little quick tempered

:salazzle: Voracek (F)
Lv. 67
Nature: Bashful / Ability: Corrosion / Characteristic: Good endurance

:bewear: Bear (F)
Lv. 67
Nature: Impish / Ability: Fluffy / Characteristic: Loves to eat

:tsareena: Luongo (F)
Lv. 67
Nature: Sassy / Ability: Queenly Majesty / Characteristic: Loves to eat

Updates:
Main Story:
Update 1 (New Beginnings)
Update 2 (Ilima's Trial)
Update 3 (Hala's Grand Trial, Akala Island, Lana's Trial)
Update 4 (Kiawe and Mallow's Trials)
Update 5 (Olivia's Grand Trial, Ula'ula Island, Sophocles' Trial)
Update 6 (Acerola's Trial)
Update 7 (Nanu's Grand Trial, Aether Paradise, Poni Island)
Update 8 (Canyon Trial, Ultra Necrozma, Mina’s Trial, Hapu’s Grand Trial)
Update 9 (Pokemon League, A New Champion)

Post Game:
Update 10 (Episode RR)
Update 11 (Catching the Tapu's)
Update 12 (Zygarde and the Ultra Beasts)

Last edited:

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
Update 1 (New Beginnings):
Alright, it is finally time. It’s been awhile since I got this game, but now I’m ready to play this game. So let’s go, let’s do this thing!

hmm, okay, so first thing I’m greeted with is a language screen. Well, screw English, let’s go with French! And for your pleasure, the rest of this playthrough will be described in French as well!

Donc, ceci est un texte traduit pour combler ceci. Quelqu'un va-t-il se donner la peine de le traduire? Je ne connais pas l'homme. Tout ce que je sais, c'est que ce sera certainement intéressant pour moi. Je ne sais pas comment cela va se passer, mais bon, prêt à tenter le coup.

Pour faire croire que je parle du jeu, j'ai vu le professeur Kukui. Il a l'air cool jusqu'à présent. C'est tout ce que j'ai, vraiment. J'aurais dû jouer le jeu en français juste pour voir à quel point je le comprenais bien, éclater de rire.

…okay, enough. So I hear from Professor Tree Kukui, pretty standard Pokemon stuff, wouldn’t expect that to change. Although…I guess it’s a video call? And there’s weird chanting to begin? wtf is this game?

So I get the standard spiel from the Prof, talks about the region, talks about Pokemon, blah blah blah. Then…I get a trainer photo? Okay, sure. I end up going with the male 2nd from the left. As is tradition, I name myself ~Kilza~. Pretty surprising, right? And off we go!

k, and now there’s a cutscene right after with some girl getting chased or something, and oh hey there’s the title of the game. Neat.

So anyways, finally in control of the game. I look around the room and get a feel for this thing. Upon leaving my room I’m ambushed by my Mom who asks if I’m excited to meet Alolan Pokemon. There is only one appropriate answer to this: “I guess…”. Anyways, Mom really wants me out of the house, but hey, I won’t complain, I’ve got some Pokemon to catch and ****. I gotta become the Pokemon Champion of Alola!

So I make my way out and make my way up Route 1 and oh **** I get attacked by a Yungoos :yungoos:. But wow, look at that, there are the starter Pokemon to the rescue! Definitely a different introduction to the starters. And oh look, it be the Prof. He talks, he seems pretty chill. I just go along with it until it’s finally time to choose my starter.

So now it is up to you, the reader. Which Pokemon should I choose? Rowlet :rowlet:, Litten :litten: or Popplio :popplio:?

…just kidding, this isn’t that type of playthrough. As is tradition, I go with the water starter in Popplio :popplio:, nicknamed Nurse. They’ll be one of the key members of my team going forward.

So the Prof talks some more and mentions an Island Kahuna. Color me intrigued. He says kahunas are strong trainers, so hey, let me at them, they sound cool.

Moments later, I end up in my first Pokemon battle against an Alolan Rattata :alolanrattata:. Man, this new interface is interesting, to say the least. Anyways, skipping ahead, I get stopped as I’m moving up Route 1. I’m introduced to my rival Hau, who ends up choosing Litten :litten: as his Pokemon. And he offers me a chance to crush his spirit battle him, so hell yeah I jump on that chance. I land a 2HKO on his Litten and Nurse grew 2 levels from it, nbd.

So I walk forward a bit and I’m into Iki Town. I hear mention of Tapu Koko :tapukoko: and how he’s the island’s guardian, so hey that’s neat. Kukui wants me to go into some ruins, so I guess I’ll do that. But first I poke around, see if there’s anything interesting in any of the houses here. Sadly there isn’t, so off I go to the ruins.

On my way up to the ruins, I see the person who was in the cutscene at the beginning of the game. And oh hey, there’s Cosmog :cosmog:. “Who are you?” is definitely a good question to ask to this girl I’ve never met before. And oh hey, it turns out this is the Nebby I've heard so much about, neat. So I try and save it from the Spearows :spearow: attacking it, but it decides letting me plunge into the water below is a better idea, how rude.

Thankfully Tapu Koko saved our butts. Mystery girl and Nebby dialogue, then I finally get to ask who she is again. She’s Lillie, and she gave me some random stone for almost dying. Then it turns out she’s the Prof’s assistant? idk what’s up with this girl who carries a god damn Pokemon in her bag and wants me to keep quiet about it.

Finally I get to see this Kahuna guy. Hala is his name. He seems pretty alright so far. More dialogue ensues, then I finally get the Pokedex and my Trainer Passport. Things are on the up and up! I try to leave, but then I’m pulled back and Hala notices the stone I received. Hala thinks I’m meant to be here, which lol, sounds pretty standard for a Pokemon game. Then I’m sent home for the day, so cool.

The next day arrives, and I’m finally “taught” how to catch a Pokemon by Kukui. Although, let’s be real, I know this **** already, this ain’t my first rodeo. I do get some Poke Balls and Potions out of it, so hey, let’s catch some Pokemon and grow my team! And wouldn’t you know, the next Pokemon that’ll take a spot in my party is my next encounter, Grubbin :grubbin:! Things go well, I catch it and name it Vasilevski.

That’ll do for now. So far I’m enjoying this, although it’s early days. Hopefully this will hold up. Definitely a different experience to try and write about this as I play it, that's for sure.

New Pokemon Encountered: Popplio :popplio: (starter), Alolan Rattata :alolanrattata: (Route 1 encounter), Buneary :buneary: (Route 1 encounter), Litten :litten: (Route 1 battle), Caterpie :caterpie: (Route 1 encounter), Spearow :spearow: (Mahalo Trail encounter), Grubbin :grubbin: (Route 1 encounter)
New Pokemon Gotten: Popplio :popplio: (Route 1, Lv. 5), Grubbin :grubbin: (Route 1, Lv. 4)

Stats:
Playtime: 1:09
Pokemon Seen: 7
Pokemon Gotten: 2

Party:
:popplio: Nurse (M)
Lv. 7
Nature: Relaxed / Ability: Torrent
Pound, Water Gun, Growl

:grubbin: Vasilevski (F)
Lv. 4
Nature: Serious / Ability: Swarm
Vice Grip, String Shot

Boxed Pokemon:
None so far

Last edited:

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
Good Luck. You are going to need it late game. Your team looks good so far. I wonder who else you’ll add.

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Alright, as a major fan of USUM I'm looking forward to how you go about this! And yay Popplio and Grubbin, both of whom become huge favorites of mine. :D I really like how the Gen VII games start with Tapu Koko saving you and all, I mean it's quite a way to open up the story if I do say so myself.

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
But wait, did you really (like, really) play UM in French? If it's true, then wow. Just, wow... O_O

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
Hey, thanks for the comments y'all! Appreciate it!

@sanianisa - lol, no, I didn't. Although I totally should've. =P

Update 2 (Ilima's Trial):
hmm, so I will say that it's weird how you're given the intro screen proper only after you've started and saved a game, rather than before. Just seems super weird to me to have it done that way.

Anyways, today begun with catching some more Pokemon on Route 1. I wanted to go left but I guess there's a Tauros blocking the way so welp, game really wants me to go to the right. I decided to let Vasilevski take the reigns, as I want her and Nurse to level out. I got myself a Buneary :buneary:, Pichu :pichu:, Pikipek :pikipek: and Caterpie :caterpie:! Since they won't feature in my party, they don't get nicknames, so rip them (and all other Pokemon who won't receive nicknames for the same reason). Vasilevski held up well in her battles against the Route 1 trainers (even if she ended up at 1 HP after awhile), so hey, good start to having her in my party!

So eventually I make my way to Iki Town for this festival, but not before encountering a couple of funny dressed people. Guessing they're related to the villains in this game? Seemed totally chill with the fact I overheard their conversation about light and aura readings or whatever, though. Also got a Yungoos :yungoos: from the grass closest to the village. Vasilevski got up to Level 7, which is pretty good, almost level with Nurse.

Oh hey, I see my boy Alolan Exeggcutor :alolanexeggcutor:, and this festival features Pokemon battling, my favorite! So fighting Hau yet again, and it goes as well as it did the first time. Vasilevski handles his Pichu easily, and Nurse his Litten. And...I get to care for my Pokemon after the fight? huh, okay, sure. Interesting mechanic. Well, it helps cure Vasilevski of her paralysis, so sure.

After I'm done caring for my Pokemon, I end up with the Z-Power Ring. I'm kinda aware of Z-moves in the game, not super up to speed how they completely work though. But still, this seems hella early to be getting it. So recapping, something something Z-Crystals something bring out Z-Powers something, totally understand.

Then the Prof brings up an island challenge on every island. Hell yeah, I have no idea what this is, but sign me up for this! I guess I get to become the champion of every island, so that's definitely up my alley. But back on my way home, Lillie talks, and I guess Lillie also wants to thank Tapu Koko for saving Nebby, but seems less than enthused with my response of "Oh, yeah?", so I got a laugh out of that. Also the weirdo villain pair shows up again, they say they’re a part of the Ultra Recon Squad, but hey I'm sure they won't play any factor into this story!

Anyways, Mom's totally down with me doing this challenge, and Lillie wants to take me to Kukui's lab. So on it goes. While making my way down to Kukui's lab, I managed to capture more Pokemon! Slowpoke :slowpoke:, Wingull :wingull: and Inkay :inkay:! Vasilevski also keeps managing to hold her own against other trainers!

I reach Kukui's lab, and I learn that my Pokedex will actually be getting Rotom :rotom: in it, which uhhhhhhh I'm not looking forward to since hearing people talk about it, it does not sound good. Man, if I had my way, I'd be saying "**** you" to getting a Rotom Dex instead of "Thank you" or "Nice to meet you, Rotom". And then he wants to send me to Trainers' School?!? My god, Prof, why are you doing this to me????? )):

Anyways, I guess Lillie's living with the prof for some reason and there's a lunar eclipse too, y'know, stuff like that. Getting dragged around by Lillie now, I run into my first casualty, as I end up having Vasilevski faint to a wild Wingull, so welp. That's it, run's ruined, gonna have to start the entire game over again.

So I'm at the language screen again. Maybe I'll choose Spanish this time.

jk, of course. So I'm finally introduced to the Pokemon Center. Man, I kind of wonder how much I'm overdoing it on describing everything that's happening. Because, uh, doesn't feel like it should've taken this long to write that I saw my first Pokemon Center! But I digress. Finally reach the Trainers' School, finally get the all important Exp. Share. From what I understand, SM and USUM were actually designed to better utilize the Exp. Share level curve wise (unlike XY and ORAS), so I'll be leaving it on for the duration of the game.

So I handled the Trainers' School fairly well. Vasilevski and Nurse are doing very well at handling the battles. Even caught more Pokemon! Alolan Meowth :alolanmeowth:, Alolan Grimer :alolangrimer:, Magnemite :magnemite: and Zorua :zorua:! Ended up with the TM Work Up for my troubles, which I'll never use but hey that's cool. Also some Great Balls which I will use, lol. Also continuing to convince Lillie I am The Worst™.

So after battling the school teacher, I meet a new person in Captain Ilima and about how he has a trial for me. I'm aware of this, how this basically replaces the gyms that were a thing in the previous generations. I'm interested to see how these trials go, since I actually haven't seen them, just heard of their existence.

But hey, I finally did it! I finally made it to Hau'oli City! It only took me 9 million words to do so! And hey, I get introduced to the Poke Finder, something which I probably will not use! And I also got some Ultra Balls! I also took advantage of the salon, clothing shop and Lens Case because uhhhhh I am not a fan of the default get-up, honestly. And I also get my first introduction to Totem Stickers and first mention of Team Skull. I'm definitely interested to meet Team Skull, given how highly people have talked about them as a villain team. In the meantime, I caught a couple more Pokemon: Mime Jr. :mimejr: and Furfrou :furfrou:

Of course, I gotta progress with the story, and so I get my introduction to Team Skull. And man, it is the goofiest thing possible. I already like these guys, and I can't wait to see more of them as the story progresses. I easily beat them, then Ilium gives me a go in battle, which I easily handle. I explore the rest of the city, pick up all the Totem Stickers that I can see, and just like that, I push forward to Route 2! Lillie gave me some revives, which is pretty nice.

So onto Route 2. Pretty basic, I get told about shaking grass, then I catch myself an Ekans :ekans: I also pop by the Hau'loi Cemetary to catch a Drifloon :drifloon: and Gastly :gastly:, and also get the TM for Confide, which again lol I'll never use. Eventually I get dragged over by the motel manager and forced into going down to Big Wave Beach. I pop into Sandy Cave and catch myself a Psyduck :psyduck: and a Zubat :zubat:. Then I try to go Mantine Surfing but I get told I can't yet. What kind of ******** is this? :pensiveazurill:

Of course, Team Skull shows up and tries to ride the Mantine and I'm just laughing so hard at this. Man, these guys are too good. I beat them up, they run off, and off I go towards Verdant Cavern so I can do this trial. I do make a pitstop at the Berry Fields and pick up some berries (and Totem Stickers), but I'm not going any further than that. I've never really cared for growing berries in any of the previous games, tbh.

So up ahead of Route 2 are weirdo villain pair, muttering about Verdant Cavern. Like, k, I get it, you're evil, just do something already, god. So I end up picking up a Drowzee :drowzee:, and run into Hau, he gives me some revives and lo and behold there's yet another new thing I get. I guess the Rotom Dex has a lottery feature? And it gives out powers which do things? idk man, all I know is it involves Rotom which is, uh, not great.

I backtrack a bit and manage to snag myself a Makuhita :makuhita:, then I proceed to make my way to Verdant Cavern for the trial. Ilima explains it. Defeat 3 Pokemon, grab the Z-Crystal, super simple. Also I guess there's a Totem Pokemon but I'm sure they won't be that bad. I guess there's also 8 of these trials? So they really do replace the gyms in this game. Oh boy, this will be interesting to experience throughout the game.

So going through, I still just have Vasilevski :grubbin: and Nurse :popplio: as my main party members, with 4 tagalongs who won't see any action. Unsurprisingly, for a first trial it goes pretty smoothly. I defeat the two Alolan Rattata's :alolanrattata: easily enough and pick up the Brick Break TM, which might actually get used. I also manage to get Nurse to evolve into a Brionne :brionne: as well!

Team Skull shows up, and I cannot not choose the "Sorry, who are you?" option. Like jeez, come on, of course I wanna mess with them. I love these guys. I beat them, then they help as I manage to beat the Alolan Raticate :alolanraticate: moving around. So all that remains is the Totem Pokemon! And lo and behold, it's another Alolan Raticate! Despite getting help from an Alolan Rattata, it still went down very easily thanks to Vasilevski and Bug Bite, who basically swept this entire trial by herself. So hey, that's one trial down, 7 to go! And I got a Z-Crystal out of it (Normalium Z) that maybe I’ll use, who knows.

Well, I guess that's it, time to-oh no it's weirdo villain pair again. They finally introduce themselves as Phyco and Soleira, and, uh, I’m starting to think that maybe they're not actually villains? idk, they're still weird af though.

Anyways, I finally ma-oh my god now Ilima wants to talk to me, why. So he unblocks the way to Route 3, and tells me he's the only captain on this island. Okay, sure, I just wanna get to the Pokemon Center and save this ****! ...and oh god, now Prof. Kukui wants to explain Z-Powers. stahp, I could probably figure it out on my own anyways.

Okay, so finally I heal and save, which will end this long ass update.

So, yeah, so far I'm continuing to enjoy this game. I'm having fun, it's pretty good so far. So I'll keep on keeping on, I suppose. This will probably be how updates go tbh, just a daily update containing one huge block of everything I did in playing that day.

New Pokemon Encountered:
Pichu :pichu: (Route 1 encounter)
Pikipek :pikipek: (Route 1 encounter)
Caterpie :caterpie: (Route 1 encounter)
Yungoos :yungoos: (Route 1 encounter)
Inkay :inkay: (Route 1 battle)
Slowpoke :slowpoke: (Route 1 encounter)
Wingull :wingull: (Route 1 encounter)
Bonsly :bonsly: (Trainers' School battle)
Alolan Grimer :alolangrimer: (Trainers' School battle)
Alolan Meowth :alolanmeowth: (Trainers' School encounter)
Metapod :metapod: (Trainers' School battle)
Magnemite :magnemite: (Trainers' School encounter)
Zorua :zorua: (Trainers' School encounter)
Rowlet :rowlet: (Trainers' School battle)
Abra :abra: (Hau'loi City encounter)
Mime Jr. :mimejr: (Hau'loi City encounter)
Furfrou :furfrou: (Hau'loi City encounter)
Zubat :zubat: (Hau'loi City battle)
Smeargle :smeargle: (Hau'loi City battle)
Ekans :ekans: (Route 2 encounter)
Cutiefly :cutiefly: (Route 2 battle)
Drifloon :drifloon: (Hau'loi Cemetary battle)
Pikachu :pikachu: (Hau'loi Cemetary battle)
Happiny :happiny: (Hau'loi Cemetary battle)
Gastly :gastly: (Hau'loi Cemetary encounter)
Delibird :delibird: (Route 2 battle)
Psyduck :psyduck: (Sandy Cave encounter)
Drowzee :drowzee: (Big Wave Beach encounter)
Flabebe :flabebe: (Route 2 battle)
Rockruff :rockruff: (Route 2 battle)
Makuhita :makuhita: (Route 2 encounter)
Alolan Raticate :alolanraticate: (Verdant Cavern battle)

New Pokemon Gotten:
Buneary :buneary: (Route 1, Lv. 2)
Pichu :pichu: (Route 1, Lv. 3)
Pikipek :pikipek: (Route 1, Lv. 3)
Caterpie :caterpie: (Route 1, Lv. 3)
Yungoos :yungoos: (Route 1, Lv. 3)
Slowpoke :slowpoke: (Route 1, Lv. 4)
Wingull :wingull: (Route 1, Lv. 4)
Inkay :inkay: (Route 1, Lv. 7)
Alolan Meowth :alolanmeowth: (Trainers' School, Lv. 7)
Alolan Grimer :alolangrimer: (Trainers' School, Lv. 8)
Magnemite :magnemite: (Trainers' School, Lv. 8)
Zorua :zorua: (Trainers' School, Lv. 8)
Mime Jr. :mimejr: (Hau'loi City, Lv. 9)
Furfrou :furfrou: (Hau'loi City, Lv. 6)
Ekans :ekans: (Route 2, Lv. 10)
Drifloon (Hau'loi Cemetary, Lv. 9)
Gastly :gastly: (Hau'loi Cemetary, Lv. 8)
Psyduck :psyduck: (Sandy Cave, Lv. 9)
Zubat :zubat: (Sandy Cave, Lv. 6)
Drowzee :drowzee: (Route 2, Lv. 11)
Makuhita :makuhita: (Route 2, Lv. 9)

Pokemon Evolved:
Caterpie -> Metapod :metapod: (Trainers' School)
Metapod -> Butterfree :butterfree: (Hau'loi City)
Popplio -> Brionne :brionne: (Verdant Cavern)
Pikipek -> Trumbeak :trumbeak: (Verdant Cavern)

Stats:
Playtime: 6:09
Pokemon Seen: 42
Pokemon Gotten: 27
Pokemon Fainted: 1

Party:
Main:
:brionne: Nurse (M)
Lv. 17
Icy Wind, Water Gun, Baby-Doll Eyes, Disarming Voice

:grubbin: Vasilevski (F)
Lv. 17
Nature: Serious / Ability: Swarm / Characteristic: Highly curious
Vice Grip, Bug Bite, Spark, Bite

Fillers:
:buneary: Buneary
Lv. 14

:pichu: Pichu
Lv. 14

:trumbeak: Trumbeak
Lv. 14

:alolanmeowth: Meowth
Lv. 13

Boxed Pokemon:
Box 1:
:yungoos: Yungoos
Lv. 3

:slowpoke: Slowpoke
Lv. 4

:wingull: Wingull
Lv. 4

:inkay: Inkay
Lv. 7

:magnemite: Magnemite
Lv. 8

:alolangrimer: Grimer
Lv. 8

:butterfree: Butterfree
Lv. 10

:zorua: Zorua
Lv. 8

:mimejr: Mime Jr.
Lv. 9

:furfrou: Furfrou
Lv. 6

:ekans: Ekans
Lv. 10

:drifloon: Drifloon
Lv. 9

:gastly: Gastly
Lv. 8

:psyduck: Psyduck
Lv. 9

:zubat: Zubat
Lv. 6

:drowzee: Drowzee
Lv. 11

:makuhita: Makuhita
Lv. 9

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Wow, you are catching a LOT of Pokemon. I wonder who your next significant team member will be, though! Although, one thing I do want to suggest, you might want to stop using Vasilevski once she's about to reach Level 31. Trust me, you'll know why. You do have a bit of a ways before you worry about that, though. Glad to see you're liking the game, though! And yeah Team Skull is funny :P

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
@Pendraflare - lol, yeah, I tend to catch as many Pokemon as I can on my first time playthroughs of these games even if I don't use most of them, lol. idk why, it's just something I've been doing since I started playing the games. And thanks for the heads up!

Update 3 (Hala's Grand Trial, Akala Island, Lana's Trial):
Man, I wonder if people who were active on Azurilland this year are surprised at how fast I'm doing this. Probably not since it took me no time at all to beat the games we played for AzuriPlays, lol

So something which I actually thought but forgot to jot down was just a comment on the actual battle mechanics, and how I enjoy the QoL improvements they made which make things a lot nicer. One, the fact that Poke Balls are now a "quick select" by just pressing Y, which is a lot better than having to go through items to find them and select them. Two, the fact you can see a Pokemon's raised/lowered stats by tapping them on the lower screen. And three, the fact you are told which moves are effective/ineffective after you’ve seen the Pokemon you’re facing once.

Okay, back to this then. Rotom keeps trying to talk to me, but uhhhhhh I'm just ignoring them. I decide to catch a couple more 'mons on Route 2 before moving on, so I grab myself a Crabrawler :crabrawler: and a Growlithe :growlithe:.

On Route 3, I decide to just progress directly down the route rather than really battle the trainers or mess around in the grass, though I did get a Spearow :spearow:. Kukui is blocking the bridge and tells me to find Lillie, which uhhhhhh I kinda forgot about doing tbh. So I poke in Melemele Meadow, and find Lillie. However, Nebby's wandered off so I have to go track them down. I do catch a Flebebe :flabebe: while I'm here.

Okay, right, so let me also talk about something new, since it came up during a random encounter and I kinda glossed over it with the Totem Raticate fight. I guess some Pokemon are able to call allies and turn the fight into a 2-on-1. Honestly, I don't really mind this mechanic. It's not like it's any different from double random encounters or swarms, so hey, bring it on. Only annoying thing (like in previous games) is how you can only capture a Pokemon when there's just one of them. I know why, it's because it has to do with the battle ending the second a Pokemon is caught, but I still don't like it.

Anyways, I make my way to the hole Nebby went through, into Seaward Cave. I find him, and unsurprisingly, weirdo maybe villain maybe not villain pair shows up, and I end up fighting against Soliera. They say something about Nebby, idk, something about it's warping ability being bad or something. Anyways, Nebby's brought back to Lillie, everybody's happy again!

So immediately after leaving the Meadow, Hau runs up to us and asks me for another battle which goes about as well as you'd expect. Then the Prof shows up and talks about how there's a grand trial where you face off against the island kahuna, so hey that'll be entertaining to take on.

So I decide to poke around the grass in Route 3 for a bit. I get myself a Cutiefly :cutiefly:, a Mankey :mankey: and a Hawlucha :hawlucha:. Vasilevski also evolves into a Charjabug :charjabug:! I do backtrack a bit and explore Seaward Cave a bit more, picking up an Oricorio :oricorio: and Smoochum :smoochum: in the process. I make my way down to Kala'e Bay, but there's not much I can do here at the moment so rip. I do read a letter in a bottle addressed to somebody in Iki Town, though, so there is that.

I went and made my way back to Iki Town so I can get this grand trial underway. Kukui forewarns me that Hala uses fighting types, but both Vasy and Nurse should be able to handle it, especially since, uh, I do think they're overleveled at Lv. 21 now, lol. But first, I deliver the message in the letter to some woman in town, and it makes them happy enough to give me some Stardust. Feels good to help people out.

The fight against Hala goes well. Vasilevski with Acrobatics and Nurse with Disarming Voice are able to dismantle his team easily enough, regardless of the advantage I have from the level difference. At the end of it I get another Z-Crystal, Fightinium Z. I also get a sticker for my troubles, so hey, that's cool! One island down, 3 to go!

Hala also lets me ride his Tauros :tauros:, and lmao way to look like a ****ing dork on top of it. But I see this is the HM replacement for these games, so hey, that's more than cool. Having to switch Pokemon out of your party just so you can bring in an HM slave always sucked, so I'm glad they got rid of the HMs. Definitely a huge QoL thing and a big thing I like about this gen. I also get the TM False Swipe from Kukui, which could definitely see some use, since I do have a ton of Pokemon left to catch, lol.

Now I could go to the next island right away, but I decide to explore a bit more now that I can open up a couple more areas with Tauros, most notably Ten Carat Hill. I get myself Bonsly :bonsly:, Rockruff :rockruff:, Alolan Rattata :alolanrattata:, Munchlax :munchlax:, Noibat :noibat:, Machop :machop:, Carbink :carbink:, Spinda :spinda:, Roggenrola :roggenrola:, the TMs for Thief and Smack Down, and even Flyinium Z!

Anyways, let's leave Melemele Island and continue on with the journey. So I check out the Alolan Photo Club, and this is what I end up with:

So I pop out, and Hau reveals the name of the next island: Akala Island. And he wants to go Mantine Surfing, so rad, let's go do that! But first, Lillie wants me to help Nebby get home, and of course my natural response to that is "Yeah, I don't know...". I'm sure Nebby will be fine. Anyways, making my way back to New Wave Beach, I get stopped by some relative of Professor Oak, so neat. He's basically who I need to show my Totem Stickers to, so hey, maybe that'll happen soon.

So I get down to the beach and go Mantine Surfing! I know this is a new feature to the USUM games, and it's not too bad. It's a bit unfortunate that it uses the circle pad, seeing as the pad part of the circle pad on my 3DS keeps falling off, so it messes me up as I use my thumb on it but it slips off and so I have to re-adjust to get it back on there. But considering where the 3DS is in its life cycle, it's unlikely I'll end up getting a new one so welp, just have to deal with it. But I digress. I go through the tutorial, do the real thing, and get a score of 14,150. That isn't too bad, that does beat the pre-set record, lol.

I've landed at Heahea Beach, and just a short walk down gets me to Heahea City. I get introduced to one of the island captains, Mallow, and the island kahuna, Olivia. There's 3 trials here, so it sounds like I'll be on this island awhile, lol.

I meet up with Lillie a little ways down, and she talks about taking Nebby to a Ruins of Life? And that’s where Tapu Lele :tapulele:, the guardian of this island, is? uh, sure, guess we’ll be going there eventually. I then run into some tourists, Dexio and Sina, who (after looking this up) were in XY? ****, I legit don’t remember them, lol. I explore around and get enough Totem Stickers, so I go back to Oak and get myself a Totem Alolan Raticate :alolanraticate:, neat.

So I make my way to Route 4, and it is finally time to get party member #3! It takes a bit, I encounter an Eevee :eevee: and Lillipup :lillipup: first, but I end up facing (and catching) a Mudbray :mudbray:! I decide to name her Rantanen. I end up boxing both Vasilevski and Nurse for the moment in order to let Rantanen catch up to them in levels.

Rantanen gets into some battles and random encounters, and she's holding up well! I continue on, and I stumble upon Pikachu Valley, which, uhhhhhhhh, couldn't get out of there fast enough. I continue down Route 4, but Rantanen goes down during one of the battles (against another Mudbray, no less) so welp, that's another fainting situation. Although I do get an Igglybuff :igglybuff: while going through, so that's nice at least.

Eventually I make it to Paniola Town, and, uh, welp, I was not expecting Hau to battle me, so I don't have Vasilevski or Nurse. I lead with Rantanen, he leads with Torrecat and uses a Z-Move right off the hop, so that hurts Rantanen. I think I can sneak in another hit without healing but he faints Rantanen with Fire Fang so weelllllllppppppp. Gotta burn a revive so I can get Rantanen her much needed experience. Pikachu, a tagalong who I brought out for temporary relief, also faints as I deal with reviving and healing Rantanen, so welp. Thankfully Rantanen is able to handle Hau's team the rest of the way, but that's the first bit of adversity I've had to face in this game.

So I explore Paniola Town. Some kid mentions a captain Kiawe and how I get to ride on the back of a Charizard if I beat their trial? Hell yeah, sign me up! And I also run into Team Skull again. Man, it's been too long since I last saw them. I guess they want a Bottle Cap from an Alolan Vulpix? What is this, Fallout? But I dispatch them easily enough.

Now into Paniola Ranch, I get the opportunity to talk to Mallow, who allows me to ride a Stoutland :stoutland:, so hey that's pretty neat. I just continue to progress, although I do hit up the nursery so I can get an egg, which I guess is an Eevee egg? I also get the Hidden Power TM out of it, though I probably won't use it, but it's there! I also pick up a Miltank :miltank: along the way.

So onto Route 5 now. I basically try to avoid going left for the moment, but after circling around and having part of my way blocked by Team Skull, I'm forced to walk over, but not before getting the Torment TM. Before doing so, I decide to get Vasilevski and Nurse out again, since Rantanen has nearly caught up (Lv. 20 vs Lv. 23/22 respectively) and should be able to make up the rest as we go. And upon walking over, I get introduced to somebody new. It be Gladion, who I guess is a part of Team Skull, and if I remember **** about this game correctly is our second rival? I'm glad I'm able to answer the question of "You're ~Kilza~?" with "Who?", great game design right there.

So the battle against Gladion goes well. Rantanen handles his team well, which is a positive sign considering she was just a couple of levels stronger than his Type: Null :typenull:. Then it turns out Team Skull doesn't like Gladion? Man, that's sad. I explore the rest of Route 5, picking up a Fomantis :fomantis: before tackling the next trial. Although, one noteworthy thing is Rantanen fell asleep at the end of a turn of a trainer battle thanks to Effect Spore but woke itself up immediately, so hey, that's definitely a nice thing to happen.

So now that I've made it to Brooklet Hill, it's time for trial #2, led by the captain Lana. Just gotta herd some Pokemon or something until the Totem Pokemon appears, got it. I do get a rideable Lapras :lapras: for it, which is nice. My team at this point is Rantanen :mudbray: (Lv. 21), Vasilevski :charjabug: (Lv. 23) and Nurse :brionne: (Lv. 23), which I think can definitely take this on.

It is a touch tougher than the first trial, as having trainer battles thrown in there definitely makes it a bit more of a grind. I do get the Charge Beam TM, which is nice. Then I face the Totem Araquanid :araquanid:, which, uh, maybe have been a mistake to let Rantanen to be the lead for. She survives, and I'm able to switch Vasy in there, who's able to handle Totem Araquanid and their allies. So aside from a bad decision on my part, it is another job well done with the trial. It's also nice that it looks like I'm a bit less overleveled now, since I don't want to roll through the game that easily, lol. For my troubles I get the Waterium Z crystal and the fishing rod! And I'm taken straight back to the Pokemon Center this time!

So 2 trials down, 6 to go! Also still 3 party members left to get, I wonder who they'll be! :hmmazurill: Definitely continuing to enjoying this, excited to play it tomorrow.

New Pokemon Encountered:
Malamala Island:
Crabrawler :crabrawler: (Route 2 encounter)
Growlithe :growlithe: (Route 2 encounter)
Spearow :spearow: (Route 3 encounter)
Oricorio :oricorio: (Melemele Meadow encounter)
Noibat :noibat: (Route 3 battle)
Mankey :mankey: (Route 3 encounter)
Hawlucha :hawlucha: (Route 3 encounter)
Cottonee :cottonee: (Route 3 battle)
Smoochum :smoochum: (Seaward Cave encounter)
Petilil :petilil: (Melemele Meadow encounter)
Machop :machop: (Iki Town battle)
Munchlax :munchlax: (Route 1 encounter)
Alolan Diglett :alolandiglett: (Verdant Cavern encounter)
Mawile :mawile: (Ten Carat Hill encounter)
Roggenrola :roggenrola: (Ten Carat Hill encounter)
Carbink :carbink: (Ten Carat Hill encounter)
Spinda :spinda: (Ten Carat Hill encounter)

Akala Island:
Revan Glaceon :glaceon: (Heahea City battle)
Eevee :eevee: (Route 4 encounter)
Lillipup :lillipup: (Route 4 encounter)
Mudbray :mudbray: (Route 4 encounter)
Igglybuff :igglybuff: (Route 4 encounter)
Fomantis :fomantis: (Route 4 battle)
Bagon :bagon: (Route 4 battle)
Rattata :rattata: (Route 4 battle)
Meowth :meowth: (Route 4 battle)
Miltank :miltank: (Paniola Ranch encounter)
Sableye :sableye: (Paniola Ranch battle)
Morelull :morelull: (Route 5 battle)
Ledyba :ledyba: (Route 5 battle)
Type: Null :typenull: (Route 5 battle)
Paras :paras: (Route 5 battle)
Spinarak :spinarak: (Route 5 battle)
Barboach :barboach: (Brooklet Hill battle)
Goldeen :goldeen: (Brooklet Hill battle)
Fletchling :fletchling: (Brooklet Hill battle)
Poliwag :poliwag: (Brooklet Hill battle)
Wishiwashi :wishiwashi: (Brooklet Hill battle)
Dewpider :dewpider: (Brooklet Hill battle)
Magikarp :magikarp: (Brooklet Hill battle)
Araquanid :araquanid: (Brooklet Hill battle)
Masquerain :masquerain: (Brooklet Hill battle)

New Pokemon Gotten:
Malamala Island:
Crabrawler :crabrawler: (Route 2, Lv. 10)
Growlithe :growlithe: (Route 2, Lv. 9)
Spearow :spearow: (Route 3, Lv. 10)
Flabebe :flabebe: (Melemele Meadow, Lv. 11)
Cutiefly :cutiefly: (Route 3, Lv. 11)
Mankey :mankey: (Route 3, Lv. 12)
Hawlucha :hawlucha: (Route 3, Lv. 10)
Oricorio :oricorio: (Melemele Meadow, Lv. 10)
Smoochum :smoochum: (Seaward Cave, Lv. 10)
Bonsly :bonsly: (Route 1, Lv. 12)
Rockruff :rockruff: (Route 1, Lv. 14)
Alolan Rattata :alolanrattata: (Route 1, Lv. 14)
Munchlax :munchlax: (Route 1, Lv. 14)
Noibat :noibat: (Verdant Cavern, Lv. 9)
Mawile :mawile: (Ten Carat Hill, Lv. 14)
Machop :machop: (Ten Carat Hill, Lv. 13)
Carbink :carbink: (Ten Carat Hill, Lv. 13)
Spinda :spinda: (Ten Carat Hill, Lv. 13)
Roggenrola :roggenrola: (Ten Carat Hill, Lv. 11)

Akala Island:
Totem Alolan Raticate :alolanraticate: (Heahea Beach, Lv. 20)
Lillipup :lillipup: (Route 4, Lv. 11)
Rantanen :mudbray: (Route 4, Lv. 11)
Igglybuff :igglybuff: (Route 4, Lv. 14)
Miltank :miltank: (Paniola Ranch, Lv. 14)
Fomantis :fomantis: (Route 5, Lv. 15)

Pokemon Evolved:
Grubbin -> Charjabug :charjabug: (Route 3)
Pichu -> Pikachu :pikachu: (Ten Carat Hill)
Alolan Meowth -> Alolan Persian :alolanpersian: (Paniola Town)
Buneary -> Lopunny :lopunny: (Paniola Ranch)

Stats:
Playtime: 13:21
Pokemon Seen: 85
Pokemon Gotten: 56
Pokemon Fainted: 4

Party:
Main:
Lv. 24
Icy Wind, Bubble Beam, Baby-Doll Eyes, Disarming Voice

:charjabug: Vasilevski (F)
Lv. 24
Nature: Serious / Ability: Battery / Characteristic: Highly curious
Acrobatics, Bug Bite, Spark, Bite

:mudbray: Rantanen (F)
Lv. 23
Mud-Slap, Stomp, Double Kick, Bulldoze

Fillers:
:yungoos: Yungoos
Lv. 19

:wingull: Wingull
Lv. 17

Egg

Boxed Pokemon:
Box 1:
:lopunny: Lopunny
Lv. 21

Lv. 4

:miltank: Miltank
Lv. 14

Lv. 7

Lv. 8

Lv. 8

Lv. 10

Lv. 8

Lv. 9

Lv. 6

:ekans: Ekans
Lv. 10

Lv. 9

Lv. 8

Lv. 9

Lv. 6

Lv. 11

Lv. 9

:crabrawler: Crabrawler
Lv. 10

:growlithe: Growlithe
Lv. 9

:spearow: Spearow
Lv. 10

:flabebe: Flabebe
Lv. 11

:cutiefly: Cutiefly
Lv. 11

:mankey: Mankey
Lv. 12

:hawlucha: Hawlucha
Lv. 10

:oricorio: Oricorio
Lv. 10

:smoochum: Smoochum
Lv. 10

:bonsly: Bonsly
Lv. 12

:rockruff: Rockruff
Lv. 14

:alolanrattata: Alolan Rattata
Lv. 14

:munchlax: Munchlax
Lv. 14

Box 2:
:noibat: Noibat
Lv. 9

:mawile: Mawile
Lv. 14

:machop: Machop
Lv. 13

:carbink: Carbink
Lv. 13

:spinda: Spinda
Lv. 13

:roggenrola: Roggenrola
Lv. 11

:alolanraticate: Totem Alolan Raticate
Lv. 20

:lillipup: Lillipup
Lv. 11

:igglybuff: Igglybuff
Lv. 14

:alolanpersian: Alolan Persian
Lv. 20

:pikachu: Pikachu
Lv. 21

:trumbeak: Trumbeak
Lv. 21

:fomantis: Fomantis
Lv. 15

Last edited:

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Speaking of catching Pokemon in SOS battles, you said that it's kinda like catching Pokemon in double random encounters, right? If only this mechanic were made like the battles in Colosseum and XD where you can catch one Pokemon without fainting the other first...

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
@sanianisa - Yeah, I did. And yeah, I completely agree! It sucks that it's not like how it is in Colosseum/XD. Like, I know that those games were developed by Genius Sonority rather than GameFreak, so they did things differently in order to get things to work. But still, you'd think by now GameFeak would've figured things out to allow you to try and catch a Pokemon when there are 2 or more of them out there.

Update 4 (Kiawe and Mallow's Trials):
Hey, today's another new day, so let's get back at this thing!

So last time I finished up Lana's trial, and now today I want to try and complete Kiawe and Mallow's trials, maybe even beat up Olivia in the grand trial, who knows.

I go back to Brooklet Hill to just explore for a bit, and I catch myself a Poliwag :poliwag:, a Magikarp :magikarp:, a Goldeen :goldeen:, a Surskit :surskit: and a Morelull :morelull:. Tried to catch a Basculin :basculin: but they kept breaking out of all my Poke Balls so welp. After I've wrapped up there, I go back through Route 5, hit up the battles I missed before, and take on the Trial Guide whose team is actually almost at the same level as mine? Damn. I do still beat him rather easily and get the Nature Power TM, so that's nice.

I guess one thing worth talking about is the fishing mechanics. It's interesting how it's now just "you can only fish at specified spots" rather than "you can fish anywhere". I do like that it's only one rod instead of 3 (like how it was for BW (and B2W2 as well maybe idk I haven't played those games yet)). Having 3 rods has always seemed a bit cumbersome to me tbh.

Moving back down towards my next destination, I get the Sudowoodo :sudowoodo: who were blocking a path going south at the ranch to move, and I'm greeted by weirdo who-the-****-knows pair who battle me. Still have no idea what they're talking about tbh, like uh sure go on about the "Blinding One" I guess. But hey, now I'm onto Route 6! It's pretty straightforward, I end up getting the Sleep Talk TM, then I go back down to Heahea City so I can explore the part that's opened up. I run into some people who are part of the Aether Foundation, which I believe is this game's second villain team from what I remember? Although they seem chill so far. Eevee also hatches from its egg so hey, that's good.

I want to explore the Diglett's Tunnel, but Olivia isn't letting me pass so rip. I head back to Route 6 to finally deal with Team Skull, who are blocking the way of a new person, Hapu, and her Mudsdale :mudsdale:. They're handled, always a good time whenever I get to interact with them. And now I'm into Royal Avenue. I see Gladion walk into this Battle Royal place, but nah, I'm not going to follow him in just yet. I explore around, then continue onward.

So Route 7 is just outside of the next trial spot, but I decide I want to explore the route first before I can do this trial (which I'm guessing will end up being "lol no go back to Gladion"). I pick up an Alolan Diglett :alolandiglett: and the Double Team TM. I go into Wela Volcano Park, but welp, of course Kiawe is back at the Battle dome, so I have to go back there.

Of course, I go down the volcano and explore, since it's time to get a new party member! First off, I get the Rock Tomb TM, a Fletchling :fletchling:, a Cubone :cubone: and a Magby :magby:. It takes awhile, but finally I encounter a female Salandit :salandit:. Gender ratios are a *****. Thankfully I'm able to get its health down and nab it without too many problems. I name it Voracek. And just like that, my main party is up to 4!

So I head back down to enter the Battle Royal Dome, but first I deposit Vasilevski, Nurse and Rantanen into the PC. Hopefully I can deal with not having them until I have to do Kiawe's trial. Of course, I don't even know how this Battle Royal even works, lol. Upon entering, the Prof shows up as "the Masked Royal", which okay sure, and tries to explain it, but it still flies over my head. Then I'm thrown into this thing against Hau, Kukui and Gladion. Voracek holds her own as she doesn't get targeted except for one time, I'm able to knock out Gladion's Type: Null and it's...over?? Was that just a tutorial?? ****, that was confusing.

Anyways, I finally meet Kiawe and am able to take his trial on, so hey, let's go do that right now! I decide to bring both Nurse and Rantanen back into the fold for the upcoming trial, since both of them will be able to handle the fire types. Levels are kind of going to be out of whack for a bit anyways, so Vasilevski can just sit out and rest for the moment.

So going into my third trial, my team consists of Nurse :brionne: (Lv. 27), Rantanen :mudbray: (Lv. 27) and Voracek :salandit: (Lv. 18). They should be able to handle this easily, Voracek will take the lead for as long as she can but will sit for the Totem fight. But then...this doesn't start the way the previous two have? Kiawe wants me to watch dances and spot the difference, which, uh, okay. So it ends up being consecutive battles where I can't actually heal/change my party around. Voracek is able to handle the first two, but for the Totem fight against Alolan Marowak :alolanmarowak: I switch her out for Rantanen. Of course, the Totem Alolan Marowak summons a Salazzle :salazzle:, so I end up having to play a bit defensive for the first little bit and keep healing Rantanen until her HP is high enough that she can one shot Salazzle and eventually 2 hit Alolan Marowak. That wasn't so bad!

As my reward for completing Trial #3, I get Firium Z as well as a Charizard who acts as the Fly HM! Nice! Now it's onto Route 8 and Mallow's Trial!

Making my way to that route, I run into weirdo idk what to call them anymore pair. As is standard, they talk and I kinda just sit there pretending to follow along, but really I'm just like "uh okay I'd like to go now please". So it wraps up and I'm onto Route 8! I end up meeting a scientist, Colress, who gives me the Flame Charge TM. And, uh, I guess he was in B2W2, which I haven't played, so cool.

Of course, early into the route, I end up in a trainer battle against an Eevee, and Voracek faints against it, so welp. Then a bit later into the route, Voracek faints against a wild Fletchling, so double welp. And then she faints against a wild Salandit, so triple welp. I'm doing a bad job of preventing her from fainting so far!

On one of my trips back to Route 8 from the Pokemon Center, I run into a Kecleon :kecleon: and choose to catch it. Of course, I'm continuing to fight wild encounters for two reasons. One, to get more experience for Voracek. And two, to get another party member, who may or may not be permanent but we'll see. It takes awhile, but I finally encounter a Stufful :stufful:, who I'm able to capture without too much difficulty. She is named Bear. Maybe not the most creative name I could've chosen, but damn, it's hard to resist using it.

So I run into Hau again, and then all of a sudden I'm dragged through a tutorial of Festival Plaza, which, uh, I probably won't use at all, lmao. Bear gets into her first trainer battle, and, uh, she faints against a Kangaskhan :kangaskhan: thanks to a crit hit. ****, this is a really common theme. I revive her so she can get experience, though. After the battle, I heal up and check out Poke Pelago, which I heard about earlier but didn't really bother to check out. It seems...interesting. Probably won't use it a lot, though.

Poking around, and it turns out Gladion's living at the local motel here. dang, that's sad. Going back and fighting the remaining trainers I have to face, I end up having Voracek faint yet again, so ****. And then facing the trainer who gives you the Sky Drop TM, I really had a rough go of it. Voracek fainted twice, Bear once, then 3 tagalongs (Trumbeak, Pelipper, Alolan Grimer) also fainted once. This is why I don't do stuff like Nuzlocke's, having Pokemon “die” would be way too difficult to deal with!

Anyways, it's finally time to move onto Lush Jungle and take on Mallow's Trial, the 4th one so far. I go into it with just Voracek :salandit: (Lv. 26) and Bear :stufful: (Lv. 21), as I've boxed Nurse :brionne:, Vasilevski :charjabug: and Rantanen :mudbray: for the moment while those two catch up on levels. Should be fine, though, since Voracek should handle the grass types easily enough. This time, for this trial, I just have to collect ingredients? Alright, sure. I do get the Grass Knot TM while I'm doing this, which is nice.

So I collect the ingredients, and I end up in a couple of fights due to incorrect decisions, oops. After all is said and done, I end up face to face against Totem Lurantis :lurantis:, who brings along Comfey :comfey: for the ride as well. Definitely the biggest problem ends up being Synthesis, but I manage to get lucky and have a crit Flame Blast which knocks out Lurantis, leaving Comfey as easy pickings for Voracek. But since the fight is basically over, I let Bear get in there and handle it for some more experience. And hey, just like that, the 4th trial is over!

I end up receiving the Grassium Z crystal and the TM Smart Strike! Now I'm able to take on Olivia for the grand trial, but first I head into Lush Jungle again, as it's time to catch more Pokemon, including a new party member! Voracek is boxed, as they've now caught up to the rest of my party, so I go in with just Bear and the revolving door of tagalongs. It actually works out as my first wild encounter is against Steenee :steenee:! I catch her, and end up naming her Luongo.

So I continue to grind away at Lush Jungle. I pick up an Oranguru :oranguru: and Paras :paras:, but nothing beyond them. Good news is I manage to level up both Bear and Luongo high enough that I can just use all of my party again! So I now have a full party of named Pokemon for the first time in this game: Nurse :brionne:, Vasilevski :charjabug:, Rantanen :mudbray:, Voracek :salandit:, Bear :stufful: and Luongo :steenee:.

It's now time to see about facing Olivia, so I make my back to Heahea City and head straight for the Dimensional Research Lab. I run into Lillie, who’s outside with Nebby, then inside I get introduced to Kukui's...wife? wtf. This is rather unexpected. I learn a bit more about Lillie and then get told about Ultra Wormholes and Ultra Beasts. So plot important stuff, I guess. Anyways, I get directed by Kukui to go through Diglett's Tunnel (finally) to reach the grand trial, so off I go! Although upon exiting the lab I see (what I’m guessing) is an Ultra Wormhole, so huh. I wonder how that’ll come into play later.

So I go through Diglett's Tunnel. I get my first "official" introduction to Aether Foundation, who seem nice so far. So far. Anyways, Bear evolves into a Bewear :bewear:! And I manage to catch a Larvitar :larvitar:. Run into Team Skull near the end, Hau comes along and we beat them up together, standard stuff.

Onto Route 9, and I see a familiar face in Looker! Man, there's a lot of cameos from other games in Ultra Moon, huh? I head into the police station and I...fight a Ditto :ditto: transformed as a cop? ****, that's honestly hilarious. I manage to catch the Ditto, and then it turns out there's more Ditto's transforming into humans and they're all wanted. Oh man, that's honestly pretty great.

I head into Konikoni City. It's a pretty Japanese inspired place, huh? I make a beeline for Olivia's shop, but then I'm rerouted to the Ruins of Life, so I guess I'm going there now! Going through Memorial Hill and battling trainers, Rantanen evolves into a Mudsdale :mudsdale:!

And now, I've decided I'll actually stop there for tonight. Have to be up earlier tomorrow, so it's smarter to hold things off until then, since I think this will take longer than I'd like.

Moving along pretty well so far. My goal is to be finished the game (ignoring any post-game shenanigans) before Christmas Eve, so I think I'm on track to do so. Still enjoying this game, it's definitely holding up well.

New Pokemon Encountered:
Basculin :basculin: (Brooklet Hill encounter)
Surskit :surskit: (Brooklet Hill encounter)
Rufflet :rufflet: (Route 5 battle)
Vullaby :vullaby: (Route 5 battle)
Poipole :poipole: (Paniola Ranch battle)
Jigglypuff :jigglypuff: (Route 6 battle)
Bounsweet :bounsweet: (Route 6 battle)
Mareep :mareep: (Route 6 battle)
Cubone :cubone: (Route 6 battle)
Oricorio :oricoriopau: (Route 6 battle)
Alomomola :alomomola: (Route 7 battle)
Shellder :shellder: (Route 7 battle)
Kadabra :kadabra: (Wela Volcano Park battle)
Salandit :salandit: (Wela Volcano Park encounter)
Alolan Marowak :alolanmarowak: (Wela Volcano Park battle)
Salazzle :salazzle: (Wela Volcano Park battle)
Stufful :stufful: (Route 8 battle)
Kecleon :kecleon: (Dividing Peak Tunnel encounter)
Phantump :phantump: (Route 8 battle)
Kangaskhan :kangaskhan: (Route 8 battle)
Natu :natu: (Route 8 battle)
Hoothoot :hoothoot: (Route 8 battle)
Amaura :amaura: (Route 8 battle)
Omanyte :omanyte: (Route 8 battle)
Lurantis :lurantis: (Lush Jungle battle)
Comfey :comfey: (Lush Jungle battle)
Steenee :steenee: (Lush Jungle encounter)
Oranguru :oranguru: (Lush Jungle encounter)
Larvitar :larvitar: (Diglett's Tunnel encounter)
Shieldon :shieldon: (Diglett's Tunnel battle)
Archen :archen: (Diglett's Tunnel battle)
Ditto :ditto: (Route 9 encounter)
Herdier :herdier: (Route 9 battle)
Chinchou :chinchou: (Route 9 battle)
Tentacool :tentacool: (Route 9 battle)
Ledian :ledian: (Memorial Hill battle)
Jolteon :jolteon: (Memorial Hill battle)

New Pokemon Gotten:
Poliwag :poliwag: (Brooklet Hill, Lv. 17)
Magikarp :magikarp: (Brooklet Hill, Lv. 10)
Goldeen :goldeen: (Brooklet Hill, Lv. 12)
Surskit :surskit: (Brooklet Hill, Lv. 14)
Morelull :morelull: (Brooklet Hill, Lv. 15)
Alolan Diglett :alolandiglett: (Route 7, Lv. 18)
Fletchling :fletchling: (Wela Volcano Park, Lv. 18)
Cubone :cubone: (Wela Volcano Park, Lv. 19)
Magby :magby: (Wela Volcano Park, Lv. 18)
Voracek :salandit: (Wela Volcano Park, Lv. 18)
Kecleon :kecleon: (Dividing Peak Tunnel, Lv. 20)
Bear :stufful: (Route 8, Lv. 18)
Wishiwashi :wishiwashi: (Route 8, Lv. 18)
Luongo :steenee: (Lush Jungle, Lv. 22)
Oranguru :oranguru: (Lush Jungle, Lv. 22)
Paras :paras: (Lush Jungle, Lv. 21)
Larvitar :larvitar: (Diglett's Tunnel, Lv. 22)
Ditto :ditto: (Route 9, Lv. 29)

Pokemon Evolved:
Yungoos -> Gumshoos :gumshoos: (Route 8)
Wingull -> Pelipper :pelipper: (Route 8)
Surskit -> Masquerain :masquerain: (Lush Jungle)
Trumbeak -> Toucannon :toucannon: (Lush Jungle)
Ekans -> Arbok :arbok: (Lush Jungle)
Stufful -> Bewear :bewear: (Diglett's Tunnel)
Mudsbray -> Mudsdale :mudsdale: (Memorial Hill)

Stats:
Playtime: 21:50
Pokemon Seen: 132
Pokemon Gotten: 82
Pokemon Fainted: 16

Party:
Main:
Lv. 30
Icy Wind, Bubble Beam, Baby-Doll Eyes, Disarming Voice

Lv. 29
Acrobatics, Bug Bite, Spark, Crunch

Lv. 29
High Horsepower, Stomp, Double Kick, Bulldoze

:salandit: Voracek (F)
Lv. 28
Flame Burst, Sweet Scent, Dragon Rage, Smog

Lv. 29
Leer, Rock Tomb, Baby-Doll Eyes, Brick Break

:steenee: Luongo (F)
Lv. 28
Nature: Sassy / Ability: Oblivious / Characteristic: Loves to eat
Rapid Spin, Razor Leaf, Teeter Dance, Magical Leaf

Boxed Pokemon:
Box 1:
Lv. 21

Lv. 4

Lv. 14

Lv. 7

Lv. 8

Lv. 22

Lv. 10

Lv. 8

Lv. 9

Lv. 6

:arbok: Arbok
Lv. 22

Lv. 9

Lv. 8

Lv. 9

Lv. 6

Lv. 11

Lv. 16

Lv. 10

Lv. 9

Lv. 17

Lv. 11

Lv. 11

Lv. 12

Lv. 10

Lv. 10

Lv. 10

Lv. 12

Lv. 14

Lv. 14

Lv. 14

Box 2:
Lv. 9

Lv. 14

Lv. 13

Lv. 13

Lv. 13

Lv. 11

Lv. 20

Lv. 11

Lv. 14

Lv. 20

Lv. 21

:toucannon: Toucannon
Lv. 28

Lv. 15

:poliwag: Poliwag
Lv. 17

:magikarp: Magikarp
Lv. 10

:goldeen: Goldeen
Lv. 12

:masquerain: Masquerain
Lv. 22

:morelull: Morelull
Lv. 15

:alolandiglett: Alolan Diglett
Lv. 18

:fletchling: Fletchling
Lv. 18

:cubone: Cubone
Lv. 19

:magby: Magby
Lv. 18

:kecleon: Kecleon
Lv. 20

:wishiwashi: Wishiwashi
Lv. 18

:pelipper: Pelipper
Lv. 25

:oranguru: Oranguru
Lv. 22

:gumshoos: Gumshoos
Lv. 25

:eevee: Eevee
Lv. 1

:paras: Paras
Lv. 21

:larvitar: Larvitar
Lv. 22

Box 3:
:ditto: Ditto
Lv. 29

Last edited:

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
Update 5 (Olivia's Grand Trial, Ula'ula Island, Sophocles' Trial):
Alright, back to it. For sure I'll get Olivia's grand trial done today, maybe I'll be able to push and go for the 5th trial, who knows?

I start off by going back to Lush Jungle for a moment and pick myself up a Pinsir :pinsir: and Hoothoot :hoothoot:. I also take the moment going back to swapout Vasilevski, who'll sit for the next little while until I can evolve her.

Now that I'm not rushing, I decide to take a moment to explore Konikoni City. I use a Z crystal and move for the first time all game, because some guy's asking for me to use it. So I use Grassium Z with Luongo, and, uh, it's okay? I mean, it's a one use move that's meant to be super powerful, obviously that's neat, but honestly I don't know how much I'll use them over the course of the game. But hey, after that battle Luongo evolves into a Tsareena :tsareena:! She also becomes a **** ton more usable with learning both Stomp and Trop Kick and having her stats increase, lol

I learn that Olivia's a rock user, which is helpful to know. There's also a TM shop, but for the moment I don't buy anything. I also end up completing the Ditto sidequest and get some mad cash off of it, which will be very helpful going forward. The zoom in of the second police officer at the end of that sidequest as the first police officer talks about Ditto's that can actually mimic humans is ****ing gold, I will say.

Now, onto Memorial Hill. It's pretty straightforward. I do catch a Phantump :phantump:, and run into the Aether Foundation and Team Skull over some conflict over a Slowpoke. There is a mystery Aether person who was ???, so I'm sure they'll come into play later. A quick go-through of Akala Outskirts, which sees me pick up the Leech Life TM, and I'm off to Ruins of Life! ...or I would be if I'm not stopped by the first Team Skull admin I've met, Plumeria. Definitely nice to finally meet one of the admin's after so long. She's taken care of easily, will be interesting to see when she comes into play next.

So finally I'm at the Ruins of Life. Lillie is brought here by Burnet, and she helps heal my party and wonders why Nebby wants to visit these ruins, which uhhhhhh yeah I'd like that explained too since I don't know either. And just like that, it's time for the grand trial against Olivia! I'm kind of rolling my team, but they're able to handle Olivia's team easily. Luongo takes out her Anorith :anorith:, Bear her Lileep :lileep: and Rantanen her Lycanroc :lycanroc:. As a reward, I get the Rockium Z crystal!

So Hau comes along, and I get pushed towards going to the Hano Grand Resort. Lillie hears of the Aether Foundation's name and seems hesitant to see them. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I decide to quickly go back to the Ruins of Life to see what's there, and it's a block pushing puzzle I can't do! Interesting. I go back to Heahea City, but before progressing the plot, first I have a bit of fun and do some more Mantine Surfing. It's harder than the first time around, but I still pull off an impressive score of 38,828. Nice.

Onto Hano Grand Resort now. I get to witness a Pikachu wedding, that's cute. I also save a ...famous...Pikachu??? from a reporter, so I get the Pikanium Z crystal. Nice, my first Pokemon-specific one. I check out Hano Beach before heading in, and pick up a Staryu :staryu:, plus some more money for throwing some Pyukumuku's. Nice. Voracek also evolves into a Salazzle :salazzle:, great!

I also get into a couple of water ambushes while surfing. I only point this out because what the **** I still have not gotten into a surfing encounter this entire game. It's weird given how previous games it would be like every 5 seconds you'd get into a wild encounter, yet here's it's like "lol guess you're never getting one". Like, don't get me wrong, I'm happy not to run into a random encounter while surfing every 5 seconds, but man at the same time I'd like to encounter some Pokemon while surfing!!

So anyways, I head into the hotel, and the ??? Aether Foundation dude from earlier introduces himself. He be Faba. He talks about an Aether Paradise, and wants to take me to it, so sure, wynaut? Surely nothing bad will happen there! Hau tags along too, which isn't surprising at this point tbh. While there, we meet another new person: Wicke, who Faba's kind of a **** to.

Oh, yeah, another thing. idk why I didn't cover this in the first update, but we're told outright that we're 11. It's definitely something I'm not used to, since in previous games it's like "well you're a pre-teen but you don't know how old you truly are". It's not bad or anything, just interesting.

So anyways, there's a bunch of text that I can basically sum up easily as "pumping up Aether Foundation's tires". I can explore, but I choose not to and to run straight to Lusamine, and Hau ends up name dropping Lillie during that conversation. Which, uh, might come into play later, idk. Then an Ultra Wormhole appears and there's a jellyfish 'mon, who I know is the Ultra Beast Nihilego :nihilego:. And, uh, I get into a fight with it. dang, alright. I want to catch it, but I forgot I'm not allowed to use Poke Balls here, lmao. So I just have to kill it, rip. SO MUCH FOR THAT THEN.

After the Nihilego fight, Lusamine wonders if they need "it" to counteract the Ultra Beasts, which I am pretty sure is referring to Nebby. Weirdo pair from outer space appear, explaining what happened even though I already know what happened, lmao. Their intent becomes clearer, as they say they're investigating Ultra Wormholes and Ultra Beasts. Necrozoma :necrozoma:, aka the "Blinding One", also gets name dropped, who I already kinda know about, so I know it'll be playing a factor later into the game. I guess Aether Foundation is also trying to open these Ultra Wormholes themselves???

So basically tl;dr: plot dump happened. Also I get Psychic TM which uh **** thanks game, that's pretty damn nice of you to give to me.

Now we're onto Ula'ula Island! I think two more trials are here (going by a 1/3/2/2 split), but first I swing back to Heahea Beach quickly to pick up a Totem Araquanid :araquanid:! Heading back to Malie City, I actually decide to pick up the Shadow Claw TM from the Poke Mart and give it to Bear for more coverage. I get to face Hau yet again, and with my (almost full) team I easily handle him. Only real problem was his Torracat :torracat:, who was countered well by Nurse, but I still needed to play it safe thanks to its Z move. And at the end of it, Nurse evolves into Primarina :primarina:! So now all of my team except for Vasilevski are on their final evolution stage!

After the battle, Hau gives me the Lycanium Z crystal, which is nice of him. I get pushed towards the Malie Garden, so I guess I better find the Prof. On my way over to him, I catch a Petilil :petilil:, a Poliwhirl :poliwhirl: and a Ledian :ledian:. I also get the Thunder Wave TM, which I may end up putting on Vasy.

So I finally go over to the Prof, tell him what happened, blah blah blah. Also kinda commenting on this now, but this whole thing where Hau's obsessed with eating malasada's reminds me of Gus' obsession with food in the later episodes of the TV series Psyche. idk why, but it just does. Anyways, I'm pointed in the direction of the next trial, so off I go!

Before actually making it anywhere near the trial, Lillie asks what I thought of the Aether President. In true Kilza fashion, I answer "I don't know". As is expected from Lillie, she wants to explore the ruins on this island, so she heads to the library. I go explore Malie City. I get a Trubbish :trubbish:. There's a gym? I won't take it on right away, but soon. And, uh, I stumble upon a cutscene where a Dartrix :dartrix: jumps out of a Poke Ball I got forever ago??? what the ****, man. I don't even know what to say.

Anyways, I head over to the library. Hapu and Lillie meet each other, I guess that's a thing. Inside the library itself, I manage to get the Fly HM TM. I also bring my Alolan Persian :alolanpersian: to Oak and he reveals that he and Prof. Oak are cousins. Huh. Anyways, I make my way up, and some strange girl has the book Lillie wants? She reads it but idk what to make of it tbh. The game kindly tells me the strange girl is Acerola, so I guess I'll run into her later then. I also get told the next trial is an electric-type one, so hey, guess that means Rantanen's getting a lot of use!

So I progress through Route 10. I manage to help some woman get her Stufful's back, so hey that's pretty good. I also catch a Fearow :fearow: and a Skarmory :skarmory:. I finally make my way to the end, and Team Skull is crowding around the bus stop. Their dialogue for this bit is so amazing, lmao. I love them so much.

So I finally make it to the top of Mount Hokulani. Then Kukui goes into talking about Mount Lanakila and how he'll establish the Pokemon League there. What??? It's not established yet??? I actually did not know about this, wow. Like I know something about the Pokemon League that'll become apparent when we get to that point, but I didn't actually know about the whole "oh yeah we're just starting to establish it" thing.

So I decide to go down the mountain first. I pick up an Elgyem :elgyem:, an Elekid :elekid:, a Beldum :beldum:, a Minior :minior: and the TMs Volt Switch and Snarl. After that, I head into the Hokulani Observatory. I meet the dude who runs the PC boxes in this region, Molayne, and get told about the captain Sophocles who...right, was in the Festival Plaza which I gave no ****s about. Molayne gives me the Steelium Z crystal, neat.

Heading inside the observatory, I run into a guy who poses me a question of "what is the magnitude of a star that's 10 times brighter than a fifth magnitude star" and gesgesheth I ****ing know I learned this **** in ASTRO 122 yet I can't remember it D:. Somehow I still got correct at 2.5, so, uh, go me.

Anyways, I meet Sophlocles, he needs the Charjabugs and Togedemaru for his trial, so I grab them for him. And now it's onto Sophocles' trial, the 5th one! I have my party all ready to go: Nurse :primarina: (Lv. 38), Rantanen :mudsdale: (Lv. 38), Voracek :salazzle: (Lv. 38), Bear :bewear: (Lv. 38) and Luongo :tsareena: (Lv. 38). I have a feeling this will go very well. So the trial is basically puzzle solving. Shouldn't be too bad.

And, well, yeah. It's pretty straightforward. Consecutive fights up until the totem fight. And this time I'm up against a Totem Togedemaru :togedemaru:! ...and it's almost a blowout. Rantanen is just too damn powerful for this. She takes the Totem Togedemaru out in 3 turns, then one shots Dedenne :dedenne:. Just like that, trial #5 is complete and I've got the Electrium Z crystal!

Of course, things quickly go south for a second after that. So I guess Molayne and Sophocles are cousins, things are weird on Ula'ula Island, and then they want to show me something related to the Festival Plaza. noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I'm never using this, stahp already. Thankfully it's over quickly, and now I've got to take Kukui's mask back to him.

But yeah, that's it for tonight! Continuing to maintain a solid pace, continuing to enjoy this game and have fun with it! And nobody fainted this time! Everything's good right now.

New Pokemon Encountered:
Akala Island:
Pinsir :pinsir: (Lush Jungle encounter)
Hoothoot :hoothoot: (Lush Jungle encounter)
Ariados :ariados: (Memorial Hill battle)
Golbat :golbat: (Akala Outskirts battle)
Anorith :anorith: (Ruins of Life battle)
Lileep :lileep: (Ruins of Life battle)
Lycanroc :lycanroc: (Ruins of Life battle)
Staryu :staryu: (Hano Beach encounter)
Poliwhirl :poliwhirl: (Hano Beach battle)
Pyukumuku :pyukumuku: (Hano Beach battle)
Gyarados :gyarados: (Hano Beach battle)

Aether Paradise:
Nihilego :nihilego: (battle)

Ula'ula Island:
Leafeon :leafeon: (Malie City battle)
Alolan Raichu :alolanraichu: (Malie City battle)
Tauros :tauros: (Malie City battle)
Cleffa :cleffa: (Malie Garden battle)
Vulpix :vulpix: (Malie Garden battle)
Alolan Vulpix :alolanvulpix: (Malie Garden battle)
Raichu :raichu: (Malie Garden battle)
Raticate :raticate: (Malie Garden battle)
Alolan Muk :alolanmuk: (Malie City battle)
Trubbish :trubbish: (Malie City battle)
Fearow :fearow: (Route 10 encounter)
Octillery :octillery: (Route 10 battle)
Flaaffy :flaaffy: (Route 10 battle)
Pancham :pancham: (Route 10 encounter)
Skarmory :skarmory: (Route 10 encounter)
Clefairy :clefairy: (Mount Hokulani battle)
Elgyem :elgyem: (Mount Hokulani encounter)
Alolan Geodude :alolangeodude: (Mount Hokulani battle)
Minior :minior: (Mount Hokulani battle)
Passimian :passimian: (Mount Hokulani battle)
Beldum :beldum: (Mount Hokulani encounter)
Elekid :elekid: (Mount Hokulani encounter)
Electabuzz :electabuzz: (Hokulani Observatory battle)
Togedemaru :togedemaru: (Hokulani Observatory battle)
Dedenne :dedenne: (Hokulani Observatory battle)

New Pokemon Gotten:
Akala Island:
Pinsir :pinsir: (Lush Jungle, Lv. 21)
Hoothoot :hoothoot: (Lush Jungle, Lv. 19)
Phantump :phantump: (Memorial Hill, Lv. 23)
Staryu :staryu: (Hano Beach, Lv. 23)
Totem Araquanid :araquanid: (Heahea Beach, Lv. 25)

Ula'ula Island:
Petilil :petilil: (Malie Garden, Lv. 25)
Poliwhirl :poliwhirl: (Malie Garden, Lv. 28)
Ledian :ledian: (Malie Garden, Lv. 27)
Trubbish :trubbish: (Malie City, Lv. 25)
Fearow :fearow: (Route 10, Lv. 27)
Skarmory :skarmory: (Route 10, Lv. 29)
Elgyem :elgyem: (Mount Hokulani, Lv. 28)
Elekid :elekid: (Mount Hokulani, Lv. 28)
Beldum :beldum: (Mount Hokulani, Lv. 27)
Minior :minior: (Mount Hokulani, Lv. 28)

Pokemon Evolved:
Steenee -> Tsareena :tsareena: (Konikoni City)
Hoothoot -> Noctowl :noctowl: (Konikoni City)
Salandit -> Salazzle :salazzle: (Hano Beach)
Brionne -> Primarina :primarina: (Malie City)

Stats:
Playtime: 28:11
Pokemon Seen: 169
Pokemon Gotten: 101
Pokemon Fainted: 16

Party:
Main:
Lv. 38
Icy Wind, Sparkling Aria, Hyper Voice, Disarming Voice

Lv. 29
Acrobatics, Bug Bite, Spark, Crunch

Lv. 39
High Horsepower, Stomp, Heavy Slam, Bulldoze

Lv. 39
Flame Burst, Nasty Plot, Venoshock, Toxic

Lv. 39
Leer, Rock Tomb, Shadow Claw, Hammer Arm

Lv. 38
Stomp, Razor Leaf, Teeter Dance, Trop Kick

Boxed Pokemon:
Box 1:
Lv. 21

Lv. 4

Lv. 14

Lv. 7

Lv. 8

Lv. 33

Lv. 10

Lv. 8

Lv. 9

Lv. 6

Lv. 22

Lv. 9

Lv. 8

Lv. 9

Lv. 6

Lv. 11

Lv. 16

Lv. 10

Lv. 9

Lv. 17

Lv. 11

Lv. 11

Lv. 12

Lv. 10

Lv. 10

Lv. 10

Lv. 12

Lv. 14

Lv. 14

Lv. 14

Box 2:
Lv. 9

Lv. 14

Lv. 13

Lv. 13

Lv. 13

Lv. 11

Lv. 20

Lv. 11

Lv. 14

Lv. 20

Lv. 21

Lv. 28

Lv. 15

Lv. 17

Lv. 10

Lv. 12

Lv. 22

Lv. 15

:alolandiglett: Alolan Diglett
Lv. 18

Lv. 18

Lv. 19

Lv. 18

Lv. 20

Lv. 18

Lv. 25

Lv. 22

Lv. 25

Lv. 1

Lv. 21

Lv. 22

Box 3:
Lv. 29

:pinsir: Pinsir
Lv. 21

:noctowl: Noctowl
Lv. 20

:phantump: Phantump
Lv. 23

:staryu: Staryu
Lv. 23

:araquanid: Totem Araquanid
Lv. 25

:petilil: Petilil
Lv. 25

:poliwhirl: Poliwhirl
Lv. 28

:ledian: Ledian
Lv. 27

:trubbish: Trubbish
Lv. 25

:fearow: Fearow
Lv. 27

:skarmory: Skarmory
Lv. 29

:elgyem: Elgyem
Lv. 28

:elekid: Elekid
Lv. 28

:beldum: Beldum
Lv. 27

:minior: Minior
Lv. 28

Last edited:

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
So, remember how I said to stop using Vasilevski right near Level 31? Well, you're about to reach Blush Mountain where she can evolve, and that's the level it'd get Bug Buzz upon evolution to Vikavolt. So that's why I said to put it behind for a bit. So keep that in mind! Am liking the team, do wish you would've kept Baby-Doll Eyes on Bear though, that'd help quite a bit against Totem Mimikyu up ahead, along with Iron Head at Ula'Ula Beach soon. Hm.

Reactions: SAF

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
@Pendraflare - lol, so just to pull back the curtain here a bit, I actually did know this going into my play session today. When I select my team, I usually do it way ahead of time to get a rough idea of where they would end up being gotten (which is made more difficult when you haven't played the game before and don't want to spoil yourself, lol), not only for balance issues but so that way I'm able to figure out if I want to use them or not. When you mentioned not to let Vasilevski get past Level 31, I had to double check and realized why, since I actually never bothered to look at the movesets beforehand, and I know that there's no Move Relearner until the post-game so it would've been real bad to miss Bug Buzz. It's also a good thing I checked this myself ahead of time, since I only check this thread after I've finished my latest update and it's time to post it. No worries for saying that, though! I do appreciate your attempt at helping me, even if I kinda already knew through my own research =P

Update 6 (Acerola's Trial):
Took awhile to get going today due to other stuff, but alright, hopefully I can clear out Ula'ula Island today.

So first off, I head back to Heahea Beach to pick up my next Totem Pokemon, and I get a...Salazzle :salazzle:? ****ing lmao. I could in theory replace Voracek with the Totem Pokemon and just be like "lol this is Voracek now" but nah, it took awhile to get Voracek in the first place so I'll stick with my girl. It also confused the **** out of me since I was like "wtf I never faced a Salazzle in the trials..." but I guess they changed that part of Kiawe's trial from SM to USUM so that makes sense.

So I go back to Malie Garden to meet with the Prof, but he's dealing with Team Skull. They're opposed to the Pokemon League, and man it's another great set of dialogue. And then ohhhhhhhhh **** it's finally Guzma, who I have heard so much about. And it's honestly a really good introduction, where he reveals both himself and Kukui failed the trials and didn't become captains. Except, uh, they certainly took different paths.

So then Kukui throws me up to face off against Guzma. Man, though, I love this bit: "Why even bother with the island challenge? What's the point of it?" Natural response from me? "That's what I want to find out." And then, just like that, I'm thrust into battle against Guzma. His Golisopod :golisopod: gives me a bit of trouble, but Nurse is able to handle it and Masquerain. This of course prompts Guzma to leave, but not before warning Hau about the island challenge. huh

Kukui gives me the Primarium Z crystal, which is very nice. Acerola and Lillie show up, Kukui abandons us to go to Mount Lanakila, and Acerola points us in the direction of the next trial, which is at Tapu Village. So no time to waste, let's get to it!

On Route 11, I manage to get a Komala :komala:, a Pancham :pancham: and the Gyro Ball and Payback TMs. I also get told the upcoming trial is a ghost one. Route 12, I end up getting Mudsdale :mudsdale: as a rideable companion! Of course, I beeline for Blush Mountain, since now I'll finally be able to evolve Vasilevski :charjabug:! I switch my entire team out, bringing in Vasilevski and some tagalongs. Takes a few wild battles, catching a Manectric :manectric: along the way, but finally Vasilevski evolves into Vikavolt :vikavolt:!

So now it'll be awhile with Vasy riding solo, as she's well below the others in levels (31 vs. 40-41). So I get the Embargo TM, then I decide to go back and challenge the Kantonian Gym. Interesting how they decided to do a replication of the Vermilion City Gym. It’s pretty easy for Vasy to handle. I make my way back to Route 12 and run around, eventually getting the Dragon Tail TM. Eventually I make my way down to Ula'ula Beach, where it's time for more Mantine Surfing! I get the top record with 55,098, which isn't too bad, lol.

So onto Route 13. Jeez, these routes seem to be going by quickly here. Hau catches up to me, and we see our good friend Gladion! Team Skull is looking for Cosmog, so, uhhhhhhhhhhh, yeah. But hey, he tells us to protect it, so that's really nice of him. And then it's a quick jog into Tapu Village!

I guess we're at the base of Mount Lanakila now? So this means I'll for sure be coming back here in the future whenever this Pokemon League is set up. And then weirdo space duo pair show up and talk more about plot stuff. something something Necrozoma something Mega Lo Mart? ...no, Megalo Tower something. Then they leave. Time to explore!

Going up to Mount Lanakila, I manage to snag an Alolan Sandshrew :alolansandshrew: and an Absol :absol:, although the Absol really sucked as it wouldn't get in my Poke Balls and managed to work its way up to a +6 attack thanks to Swords Dance, so it took out Vasy and two tagalongs. rip. That's really all I can do here for the moment, so back down I go.

Moving onto Route 14, I poke around. I can't explore the trial site so that’ll have to wait. Also, only now do I realize you can hold B while on Lapras to go faster. welp. I help some woman out of a Frillish :frillish: problem by catching one, then Vasy faints in the trainer battle near her to a Whiscash :whiscash: so welp. Have to sacrifice 2 tagalongs to heal her up to full, then she gets taken out again by the Honchkrow :honchkrow: so bleh, resulting in 2 more tagalong sacrifices to heal and beat it. This isn't going well! At least I get the Shadow Ball TM out of it.

Running back through Tapu Village, I manage to run into and catch a Snorunt :snorunt:. I don't really explore Route 15, instead choosing to head into the Aether House. And, uh, turns out Acerola is the next upcoming captain. That's not totally surprising, definitely got a ghost-type vibe from her design. I poke around, and in the back-left room there's a Pokemon personality test? I take it and get Popplio :popplio:. huh. Description seems to match up pretty well with me fwiw

Outside, I find Lillie getting harassed by a Team Skull member. I dispatch them pretty quickly. Now I'm pushed back towards Route 14 so I can take on the trial! I make my way to the Thrifty Megamart pretty quickly.

So for Acerola's trial, the 6th one, my party is pretty light. It's just Vasilevski :vikavolt: (Lv. 37) and some tagalongs. This time around I have to find the Totem Pokemon and take a picture of it with the Poke Finder. Okay. I, uh, already know the Totem Pokemon is Mimikyu :mimikyu: from a Discord discussion forever ago, so let's just get right down to it.

So it's pretty easy. I go through, take pictures where I need to, do the fights when they occur. The whole bit with Acerola was interesting. And then just like that I'm in a fight with the Totem Mimikyu :mimikyu:! It manages to call multiple allies: Banette :banette: and Jellicent :jellicent:. Play Rough is, well, rough. I did get lucky with three misses thanks to, uh, affection bonuses or whatever the technical term is for them. Eventually I'm able to take it down with just Vasilevski, and just like that trial 6 is over! I get the Ghostium Z crystal to go along with my success!

I go back into the Thrifty Megamart right away and manage to catch a Haunter :haunter:, a Klefki :klefki: and a Golbat :golbat:. And hey, Vasilevski has made it to Level 40! She's caught up with the rest of the team! woo, now they're only slightly overleveled versus the other Pokemon. So now it's time to roll with my full party yet again!

I make my way back to the Aether House, only to find Plumeria and Team Skull waiting there for us. So, uh, hey, let's have ourselves a battle. I made a mistake of letting Vasilevski try and take out her Salazzle, so welp, that's another faint to add to the board. After the battle, it turns out they stole a kid's Pokemon, so I guess I need to get it back now.

So now going through Route 15, I somehow manage to get into a wild battle while surfing!!! And I manage to catch the Tentacruel :tentacruel: that appears! Amazing! It only took over half the game to accomplish! Of course, I only realize a bit into my surf that I've actually missed the guy on the beach who I'm supposed to talk to, lmao. So I go back to him, his name is Grimsley, and he gives me Sharpedo to ride on. Nice! Guessing he'll end up being the kahuna of the island.

Actually going through Route 15 now, I actually have wild battles while surfing! I get a Finneon :finneon: and manage to pick up the Acrobatics TM. I also mess up a double battle and have Voracek faint so welp. Rest of the way isn't so bad, as I manage to get a Sandygast :sandygast: and also run into a Starmie that does staring contests? what

So I hit Route 16, and am about to wrap this up, but there's a Team Skull member...ordering milk? And they want to battle me? lmao, this team. Team Skull’s pretty amazing.

Anyways, that'll do it. Didn't get as far as I thought I would today, but I got distracted with other things so welp. Tomorrow I'll deal with Po Town, and possibly get off this island!

New Pokemon Encountered:
Golisopod :golisopod: (Malie Garden battle)
Komala :komala: (Route 11 encounter)
Whimsicott :whimsicott: (Route 11 battle)
Lilligant :lilligant: (Route 11 battle)
Hariyama :hariyama: (Route 11 battle)
Parasect :parasect: (Route 11 encounter)
Tirtouga :tirtouga: (Route 12 battle)
Alolan Graveler :alolangraveler: (Route 12 encounter)
Remoraid :remoraid: (Route 12 battle)
Sandygast :sandygast: (Route 12 battle)
Electrike :electrike: (Blush Mountain battle)
Manectric :manectric: (Route 12 encounter)
Porygon :porygon: (Route 12 battle)
Magneton :magneton: (Route 12 battle)
Cranidos :cranidos: (Route 12 battle)
Minccino :minccino: (Kantonian Gym battle)
Machoke :machoke: (Kantonian Gym battle)
Krokorok :krokorok: (Route 12 battle)
Starmie :starmie: (Route 12 battle)
Larvesta :larvesta: (Route 12 battle)
Feebas :feebas: (Route 14 battle)
Alolan Sandshrew :alolansandshrew: (Mount Lanakila encounter)
Frillish :frillish: (Route 14 battle)
Whiscash :whiscash: (Route 14 battle)
Honchkrow :honchkrow: (Route 14 battle)
Snorunt :snorunt: (Tapu Village encounter)
Gible :gible: (Route 15 battle)
Haunter :haunter: (Thrifty Megamart battle)
Gengar :gengar: (Thrifty Megamart battle)
Mimikyu :mimikyu: (Thrifty Megamart battle)
Banette :banette: (Thrifty Megamart battle)
Klefki :klefki: (Thrifty Megamart encounter)
Tentacruel :tentacruel: (Route 15 encounter)
Seaking :seaking: (Route 15 battle)
Lumineon :lumineon: (Route 15 battle)
Finneon :finneon: (Route 15 encounter)
Mantine :mantine: (Route 15 battle)
Bruxish :bruxish: (Route 15 battle)
Wigglytuff :wigglytuff: (Route 15 battle)

New Pokemon Gotten:
Komala :komala: (Route 11, Lv. 26)
Pancham :pancham: (Route 11, Lv. 26)
Manectric :manectric: (Route 12, Lv. 29)
Alolan Sandshrew :alolansandshrew: (Mount Lanakila, Lv. 33)
Absol :absol: (Mount Lanakila, Lv. 32)
Frillish :frillish: (Route 14, Lv. 34)
Snorunt :snorunt: (Tapu Village, Lv. 33)
Haunter :haunter: (Thrifty Megamart, Lv. 32)
Klefki :klefki: (Thrifty Megamart, Lv. 33)
Golbat :golbat: (Thrifty Megamart, Lv. 33)
Tentacruel :tentacruel: (Route 15, Lv. 33)
Sandygast :sandygast: (Route 15, Lv. 30)

Pokemon Evolved:
Charjabug -> Vikavolt :vikavolt: (Blush Mountain)
Alolan Diglett -> Alolan Dugtrio :alolandugtrio: (Mount Lanakila) (OH MY GOD THE HAIR I FORGOT ABOUT THE HAIR)
Alolan Grimer -> Alolan Muk :alolanmuk: (Route 15)
Drifloon -> Drifblim :drifblim: (Thrifty Megamart)
Beldum -> Metang :metang: (Thrifty Megamart)
Makuhita -> Hariyama :hariyama: (Thrifty Megamart)

Stats:
Playtime: 33:31
Pokemon Seen: 213
Pokemon Gotten: 120
Pokemon Fainted: 27

Party:
Main:
Lv. 42
Icy Wind, Sparkling Aria, Hyper Voice, Disarming Voice

Lv. 42
Acrobatics, Bug Buzz, Thunderbolt, Crunch

Lv. 42
High Horsepower, Stomp, Heavy Slam, Bulldoze

Lv. 42

Lv. 43
Thrash, Rock Tomb, Shadow Claw, Hammer Arm

Lv. 43
Stomp, Razor Leaf, Teeter Dance, Trop Kick

Boxed Pokemon:
Box 1:
Lv. 21

Lv. 4

Lv. 14

Lv. 7

Lv. 8

:alolanmuk: Alolan Muk
Lv. 38

Lv. 10

Lv. 8

Lv. 9

Lv. 6

Lv. 22

:drifblim: Drifblim
Lv. 30

Lv. 8

Lv. 9

Lv. 6

Lv. 11

:hariyama: Hariyama
Lv. 25

Lv. 29

Lv. 9

Lv. 17

Lv. 11

Lv. 11

Lv. 12

Lv. 10

Lv. 10

Lv. 10

Lv. 12

Lv. 30

Lv. 14

Lv. 14

Box 2:
Lv. 9

Lv. 14

Lv. 13

Lv. 13

Lv. 13

Lv. 11

Lv. 20

Lv. 11

Lv. 14

Lv. 20

Lv. 21

Lv. 28

Lv. 15

Lv. 17

Lv. 10

Lv. 12

Lv. 22

Lv. 15

:alolandugtrio: Alolan Dugtrio
Lv. 27

Lv. 18

Lv. 19

Lv. 18

Lv. 20

Lv. 18

Lv. 25

Lv. 22

Lv. 25

Lv. 1

Lv. 21

Lv. 22

Box 3:
Lv. 29

Lv. 21

Lv. 20

Lv. 23

Lv. 23

Lv. 25

Lv. 25

Lv. 28

Lv. 27

Lv. 25

Lv. 27

Lv. 29

Lv. 28

Lv. 28

:metang: Metang
Lv. 29

Lv. 28

:salazzle: Totem Salazzle
Lv. 30

:komala: Komala
Lv. 26

:pancham: Pancham
Lv. 26

:manectric: Manectric
Lv. 29

:alolansandshrew: Alolan Sandshrew
Lv. 33

:absol: Absol
Lv. 32

:frillish: Frillish
Lv. 34

:snorunt: Snorunt
Lv. 33

:haunter: Haunter
Lv. 32

:klefki: Klefki
Lv. 33

:golbat: Golbat
Lv. 34

:tentacruel: Tentacruel
Lv. 33

:finneon: Finneon
Lv. 33

:sandygast: Sandygast
Lv. 30

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Grimsley, huh? I don't think he's the kahuna of the island you're currently at. I mean, have you ever played BW and/or BW2? He's already a member of Elite 4 there, so having that guy doubling as a kahuna here is just... weird. :seriousazurill:

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
@sanianisa - wow, derp. I've played BW (early this year, even, for AzuriPlays!) but totally forgot about him being in the game, probably because (1) the design was different and (2) I hadn't seen him enough in BW to know right away he was from BW. So thanks for correcting me on that, that was definitely silly of me.

Update 7 (Nanu's Grand Trial, Aether Paradise, Poni Island):
Another day, another time to play Ultra Moon. Should be off this island when this update is done.

So I explore Route 16, which I neglected to last night. I get the X-Scissor TM, and then after poking around the grass and catching a Scraggy :scraggy: it's off to Ula'ula Meadow, which is really hazy to say the least. I run into Faba, and they kinda just talk without saying much of anything, really. I wander through, and manage to get a Floette :floette: and an Ariados :ariados:.

I decide to take the branching path to my right at the end, and discover the Lake of the Sunne. idk what this place is, except for the fact it's in ruins. I get the Psychock TM here, so that's nice. Not really much here at the moment, so that means this place probably either contains some plot relevancy and/or a legendary Pokemon later on, since that's usually the way these types of locations go.

So making my back, I end up going to Route 17, which is before Po Town, so nice to know I'm on my way. Looking into the police station, there's...a bunch of Alolan Meowth's? what... ...anyways, I end up exploring, beating up some Team Skull members and getting the Rock Slide TM. Finally, it's time to enter Po Town. Although the guy who lets me in is kinda grim. Like, man, I'm not gonna die here, chill.

So Po Town is without a doubt the most depressing place in the main series games. Very run down, no power, everything’s in shambles and covered in graffiti, overall just dreary and it was made worse by the fact it was night time and raining. Like, man. It’s hard not to feel bad for Team Skull if these are the living conditions they have to be in.

Anyways, I make my way up Po Town and to the Shady House. Quickly ducking back out and getting more Totem Stickers is funny, since there are 3 of them in the same place. Also seeing a Delibird drop down into the fireplace then back up again was cute. Making my way through, I manage to get the Sludge Bomb TM from a room I’m assuming to be Plumeria’s. I also love the room featuring the two female grunts, as they talk about how they are “all named Grunt”. Like, man, that’s some meta commentary right there.

So going through the Shady House, I've seen all 3 passwords (Poison Jab, Bounsweet, Tapu Cocoa). When I get up to the Team Skull member blocking the way, I forgot about having to answer "No!" instead of "Yes!" at the end. So I legit just walked back and rechecked everything. welp. Eventually I make my way back there, actually do it correctly, and then I make my way to Guzma. I'm able to roll over him with Voracek and Vasilevski, with his Golisopod's Emergency Exit ability actually helping me, lol. He frees the stolen Yungoos, and just like that he's gone. So I take this opportunity to get the Buginium Z crystal in his room, which I do find interesting given how that likely would’ve been his crystal had he been a captain. I also sit in his "throne", which triggers a cutscene where a Team Skull grunt comes along as I sit down. Oh man, that's pretty awesome.

Most of Team Skull leaves after Guzma's defeated. Leaving the Shady House, the dude who let me in is waiting for me. And, uh, I guess he's Acerola's uncle Nanu? huh. I also guess he's a police officer and watches them, but that seemed rather obvious.

I go back to the Aether House, and welp, Lillie got taken by Team Skull while I had to go to Po Town. Hau's beating himself up over it. Then Gladion shows up and, uh, guess we're battling now. I beat him up pretty handily, then he pushes me towards going with him to the ferry terminal. So I guess we're onto the 4th island??? And then Nanu shows up and, uh, ****, he's the actual island kahuna. Okay, so I was wrong about Grimsley being the kahuna (and, uh, I totally forgot about him being in BW so welp).

So the grand trial against Nanu goes pretty well. At this point my team is Nurse :primarina: (Lv. 47), Vasilevski :vikavolt: (Lv. 47), Rantanen :mudsdale: (Lv. 47), Voracek :salazzle: (Lv. 47), Bear :bewear: (Lv. 47) and Luongo :tsareena: (Lv. 47). Nurse OHKO's his Sableye :sableye:, Luongo OHKO's his Krokorok :krokorok: and Bear OHKO's his Persian :persian:. I get the Darkium Z crystal, Hau shows up, and now we're off to...Aether...Paradise...? Hey, this isn’t the 4th island!

So, uh, yeah, guess the Aether Foundation is evil. Totally did not see that coming at all. So I sneak battle everybody on my way to the elevator. But not before picking up the Toxic TM, after which I finally take the elevator up with Gladion and Hau. We encounter Faba, who's easily taken care of. I guess Gladion and Faba have a pre-existing relationship, which I'm sure I'll be given more info about at some point. Faba also says how Aether Foundation's trying to reach another world, hmmmmmmmmm.

We reach the part of the Paradise where there are secret labs. uh, okay. Running into the only available room, there's 3 consecutive battles in a row that reveal some stuff. Mainly, there's a Poke Ball being developed for use on Ultra Beasts (or something along those lines), and they're trying to open Ultra Wormholes using Cosmog. Further on down, I see Gladion, and he reveals that his Type: Null was made in this lab. I knew Type: Null was created, just wasn't sure of where exactly.

After running into the lab and taking down the two employees, it's revealed that Cosmog is able to create and open Ultra Wormholes under extreme stress. I head back out and go into the other lab now that Gladion isn’t blocking the way. I learn some info about Type: Null, mainly that it's basically an artificial Arceus and that there are 3 in existence, so naturally I'm sure I'll be able to catch one in the post-game or something.

Continuing to move through Aether Paradise, I proceed to go up to the first floor again with Hau and Gladion. We're ambushed, but the Aether employees are easily dealt with. Then Wicke shows up and calls Gladion young master. uh, what. Wicke confirms Lillie is here, and Gladion and Hau rush forward to the next door we have to get through. Man, though, Hau ****ing owns Faba so hard in the cutscene, it’s really good.

So now I have to do two double battles in a row. The first double battle isn’t so bad. But then Faba's Claydol :claydol: knocks out Voracek in the second one so rip, another faint to add to the board. But it's smooth sailing from there. And we're finally able to progress forward, where, uh, it turns out Team Skull is already here. Gladion beelines for Guzma, so I gotta make my way over there now while dealing with the grunts. One of the grunts mentions that they're being sponsored by the Aether Foundation? ****, like that's a surprise to me. That’s kinda like Team Cipher and Team Snag’em in Colosseum, where Snag’em was a part of Cipher. I wonder if that’s basically the same story here. I do like the last grunt going "nope you're too strong not dealing with you". That's a nice touch.

So Gladion lost to Guzma, and Guzma reveals that Gladion rejected his mom? Harsh. Too bad Guzma can't really do much to me, although his team is definitely stronger than last time, but Voracek and Vasilevski match up well against his team. ...or, I say that, then I kinda get cocky and end up having Vasilevski faint to his Masquerain. whoops.

Heading into the mansion, and I'm greeted by the weirdo space something somethingers pair. Anyways, they talk about wanting to catch Necrozoma, then try and stop me but fail to do so. I head into the next room to find Lillie and Lusamine. And I get a bombshell dropped on me that Lusamine is Lillie's mother. what. I honestly did not see that coming. Even though these games can sometimes telegraph these things, I wasn’t expecting this. Or maybe I'm dumb I don't know!!

Anyways, more plot ensues. Lusamine wants to "protect" the world through using Nebby, who I guess Lillie stole at the beginning of the game, explaining the cutscene at the beginning where I had no idea what was going on. We chase after Lusamine, and, uh, she has a bunch of Pokemon frozen. what the actual ****. She says she just wants to take on the Ultra Beasts and defeat them. Then Hau and Gladion show up and oh god Gladion is Lusamine's son what the **** what is this game WHAT IS ANY OF THIS. Like this shouldn't be so surprising yet it is, man oh man.

Let me just recap where things stand before I continue:
-I am ~Kilza~ and I am on this island challenge thing because I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was
-Hau is my rival and is also on this island challenge thing because I guess he wants to be better than his grandpa who's an island kahuna
-Lusamine is the head of the evil team Aether Foundation and wants to open up these Ultra Wormholes to enter Ultra Space to defeat the Ultra Beasts
-Lillie is Lusamine's daughter and stole a Cosmog and named it Nebby and has been trying to protect it
-Gladion is Lusamine's son and also a rival and I guess is/was a part of Team Skull? He's also very upset about his dad dying and opposes what Lusamine wants to do
-Team Skull is led by Guzma and the other evil team and is supported by or is a part of the Aether Foundation??

Okay, now that my mind is less exploded, let's get back on track. So Lusamine has Nebby and is going to use, possibly kill, it to create a new Ultra Wormhole. So...uh...okay, guess we'll just stand around and let her create this wormhole, then. Thankfully Nebby is able to resist, but for how long? Then Guzma shows up? And then I finally get to fight Lusamine? Affection is a hell of a thing, as somehow Vasilevski pulls off a critical hit and a dodge thanks to it against her Clefable :clefable:. Rest of the fight goes pretty smoothly.

So despite besting her in battle, Lusamine is still insistent on going, and will be taking Guzma with her? Gladion offers to go instead, but is shut down. And, uh, ****, she just opens an Ultra Wormhole and both her and Guzma are gone just like that. Nebby's evolved into a Cosmoem :cosmoem: and is still alive, at least.

So now we head back down. Weirdo space duo extraordinaire show up and are upset with what Lusamine did, but know of another way to open an Ultra Wormhole, at least. Because, well, of course there needs to be another way, there wouldn’t be much of a plot left if we couldn’t get to Lusamine and Guzma again!

Anyways, that's a huge amount of plot that just happened. Let's get back to this whole island challenge thing. So I go outside and Lillie looks, uh, different to say the least. She asks if she looks okay in those clothes, and in natural Kilza fashion, I respond "I don't know...". I'm a jerk, I know. Gladion appears, and he talks about how he thinks Lusamine wanted to go through the Ultra Wormhole to search for their dad, which tbh I do agree with. As well, I guess Gladion found the Sun Flute and gives it to us, so hey, key item get. And I get a Master Ball from him, nice! So Gladion says he'll stay behind at the Aether Foundation. Hau also says he'll disappear for a bit to train. So it's just Lillie and me now, so we head for the 4th island, Poni Island.

We land in Seafolk Village, and after the cutscene, I head into a building and receive a free Aerodactyl :aerodactyl:! Walking forward a bit more, and I get introduced to one of the captains on this island, Mina. Her design is very, uh, colorful to say the least. She directs us to talk to Hapu, so hey, sure, let's go do that. I pop into the Pokemon Center and buy the Calm Mind TM, before learning none of my Pokemon can learn it, oh well. Might buy the other ones at some point.

Before progressing, I head back to Akala Island, more specifically Heahea Beach, to pick up my next Totem Pokemon, Togedemaru :togedemaru:. I then head back to Poni Island and walk into Poni Wilds, but I immediately check out Poni Beach because oh boy oh boy oh boy Mantine Surfing! I only get 50,236 the first time around, and I do even worse my second time around at 48,523, and the third time I get 58,070, barely missing out on the high score. But finally, on my 4th try I get 70,866, which crushes the old record. I get told to go back to Heahea City to get a reward, so I do, and it turns out I get a Pikachu :pikachu: that knows Surf, not too shabby.

So I go through Poni Wilds, fighting all the trainers and what not. Then I go down to Ancient Poni Path. So Lillie and I run into Hapu, and, well, she tells us there's no kahuna on Poni Island so welp. She disappears, but then Hapu's grandma shows up and gives me her Machamp to call! Nice! The animation for "riding" it is so hilarious, though. It's just straight up carrying you, lmao.

Anyways, that'll do it for now. That was, uh, definitely one hell of a session. Obviously, while I know some things about this game, I clearly don’t know everything. I’m glad I wasn’t aware of that whole thing that went down at Aether Paradise, because being able to experience it and capture it (to the best of my abilities) was definitely something else.

Still two more trials to go! Plus probably a bunch more story as well! Still really enjoying this game so far! Although I imagine things will start slowing down a bit due to other things going on, so, yeah. But I just gotta keep pressing on, since I imagine I’m like 70-75% done the main story of this game.

New Pokemon Encountered:
Ula'ula Island:
Scraggy :scraggy: (Route 16 encounter)
Torkoal :torkoal: (Ula'ula Meadow battle)
Floette :floette: (Ula'ula Meadow battle)
Sneasel :sneasel: (Ula'ula Meadow battle)
Mareanie :mareanie: (Route 17 battle)
Pawniard :pawniard: (Route 17 battle)
Zoroark :zoroark: (Aether House battle)

Aether Paradise:
Stoutland :stoutland:
Sudowoodo :sudowoodo:
Primeape :primeape:
Arcanine :arcanine:
Hypno :hypno:
Porygon2 :porygon2:
Huntail :huntail:
Gorebyss :gorebyss:
Houndoom :houndoom:
Incineroar :incineroar:
Claydol :claydol:
Pupitar :pupitar:
Dino Clefable :clefable:
Milotic :milotic:

Poni Island:
Wailmer :wailmer: (Seafolk Village encounter)
Exeggcute :exeggcute: (Poni Wilds battle)
Ribombee :ribombee: (Poni Wilds battle)
Garbodor :garbodor: (Poni Wilds battle)
Toxapex :toxapex: (Poni Wilds battle)
Tropius :tropius: (Poni Wilds battle)
Mienfoo :mienfoo: (Poni Wilds battle)
Granbull :granbull: (Poni Wilds battle)
Sharpedo :sharpedo: (Poni Wilds battle)
Ampharos :ampharos: (Poni Wilds battle)

New Pokemon Gotten:
Ula'ula Island:
Scraggy :scraggy: (Route 16, Lv. 34)
Floette :floette: (Ula'ula Meadow, Lv. 34)
Ariados :ariados: (Ula'ula Meadow, Lv. 36)

Poni Island:
Aerodactyl :aerodactyl: (Seafolk Village, Lv. 40)
Wailmer :wailmer: (Seafolk Village, Lv. 18)

Akala Island:
Totem Togedemaru :togedemaru: (Heahea Beach, Lv. 35)

Pokemon Evolved:
None ):

Stats:
Playtime: 39:57
Pokemon Seen: 246
Pokemon Gotten: 126
Pokemon Fainted: 29

Party:
Main:
Lv. 53
Icy Wind, Sparkling Aria, Hyper Voice, Moonblast

Lv. 54
Agility, Bug Buzz, Thunderbolt, Crunch

Lv. 54
High Horsepower, Stomp, Heavy Slam, Earthquake

Lv. 54

Lv. 53

Lv. 53
Stomp, Power Whip, Teeter Dance, Trop Kick

Boxed Pokemon:
Box 1:
Lv. 21

Lv. 4

Lv. 14

Lv. 7

Lv. 8

Lv. 38

Lv. 10

Lv. 8

Lv. 9

Lv. 6

Lv. 22

Lv. 30

Lv. 8

Lv. 9

Lv. 6

Lv. 11

Lv. 25

Lv. 29

Lv. 9

Lv. 17

Lv. 11

Lv. 11

Lv. 12

Lv. 10

Lv. 10

Lv. 10

Lv. 12

Lv. 30

Lv. 14

Lv. 14

Box 2:
Lv. 9

Lv. 14

Lv. 13

Lv. 13

Lv. 13

Lv. 11

Lv. 20

Lv. 11

Lv. 14

Lv. 20

Lv. 21

Lv. 28

Lv. 15

Lv. 17

Lv. 10

Lv. 12

Lv. 22

Lv. 15

Lv. 27

Lv. 18

Lv. 19

Lv. 18

Lv. 20

Lv. 18

Lv. 25

Lv. 22

Lv. 25

Lv. 1

Lv. 21

Lv. 22

Box 3:
Lv. 29

Lv. 21

Lv. 20

Lv. 23

Lv. 23

Lv. 25

Lv. 25

Lv. 28

Lv. 27

Lv. 25

Lv. 27

Lv. 29

Lv. 28

Lv. 28

Lv. 29

Lv. 28

Lv. 30

Lv. 26

Lv. 26

Lv. 29

Lv. 33

Lv. 32

Lv. 34

Lv. 33

Lv. 32

Lv. 33

Lv. 34

Lv. 33

Lv. 33

Lv. 30

Box 4:
:scraggy: Scraggy
Lv. 34

:floette: Floette
Lv. 34

:ariados: Ariados
Lv. 36

:aerodactyl: Aerodactyl
Lv. 40

:wailmer: Wailmer
Lv. 18

:togedemaru: Totem Togedemaru
Lv. 35

:pikachu: Pikachu (w/ Surf)
Lv. 40

Last edited:

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
Update 8 (Canyon Trial, Ultra Necrozma, Mina’s Trial, Hapu’s Grand Trial):
Time for some more of this game! I don't think I'll complete the 8th trial, just the 7th and then I'm sure there'll be some plot that kicks in since the Pokemon games love having plot around this time, but who knows. I sure as heck don't.

So I'm starting off on Poni Breaker Coast. I pick up the Scald TM, but before going much further, I realize I should heal up my team first. So I head back to Seafolk Village, use the Pokemon Center, go back through Poni Wilds, encounter a Granbull :granbull: and capture it, then hit Ancient Poni Path and go "oh, I didn't really explore this, huh...". I explore a bit, getting a cutscene with Hapu's grandmother because of a picture I came across at the Malie library forever ago, and a cutscene after lying down in a bed. Look who the heck doesn't like laying in other people's beds okay jeez stop trying to wake me up Meowth!!

So both Vast Poni Canyon and Poni Grove are blocked off, with Vast Poni Canyon requiring the kahuna's permission (:hmmazurill:). So I go back to Poni Breaker Coast to make progress. I do end up running into a trainer battle with a Dragalge :dragalge: who gives me a bit of trouble. As in, manages to faint Vasilevski, so rip.

I finally make my way to the Ruins of Hope. Lillie talks about how Tapu Fini :tapufini: could maybe help Nebby get better, and of course I respond the only way I know how: "You think that'll work?" I don't think she's too pleased by my answer, lol. But anyways, I get my first introduction to the strength puzzles in this game, and it's pretty straightforward to solve.

Going into the next room, Hapu is here too, and it unsurprisingly turns out she's the new Poni Island kahuna. From the text that ensues, basically we have to call Lunala :lunala: at the Alter of the Moone, and to do that we need the Moon Flute from Exeggutor Island. So, hey, let's get on top of that, then.

More cutscenes ensue, nothing really notable, and then I'm on Exeggutor Island! And I finally get to see the Alolan Exeggutor's :alolanexeggutor:! **** yeah! I do the needful and search the grass, picking up an Exeggute :exeggcute:, Tropius :tropius:, Gastrodon :gastrodon: and, yes, an Alolan Exeggutor :alolanexeggutor:! I help out the Alolan Exeggutor's and get rid of the Pinsir's bothering them, and then I end up getting the Moon Flute! Next stop: Vast Poni Canyon.

Making my way to Vast Poni Canyon, the way is blocked by Team Skull. They want us to save Guzma, so they fight us. Oh man, it's pretty funny in a way. I beat them all up, and then Plumeria shows up and tells them off for being dumb. She apologizes to Lillie and also talks about how Guzma likes Lusamine. I get the Poisonium Z crystal from her (tbh I probably should've been keeping track off how many crystals I've gotten, it's been a lot).

As an aside, it definitely is interesting, since as a whole Team Skull really isn't all that evil. I think they are probably the goofiest team in the series, and as a whole their intent isn’t evil, rather it’s misunderstood than anything else. They don't really have an evil goal they're striving towards, like trying to flood the world or have people liberate their Pokemon or whatever else, they're more or less just doing their own thing, “sticking it to the man” if you will. It's honestly a nice change of pace and I think it works out very well. And even through something like Po Town they end up with a lot of character, since these are mainly just people who have tried the trial challenge and failed and are now just struggling to get by, coming under somebody like Guzma who himself as well is just upset he was never able to become a trial captain. They’re definitely one of my most favorite villain teams now, since in general their actions/dialogue is funny and there’s a lot of character/backstory behind them.

So now that the way is clear, I make my way forward. Weirdo space duo from outer space shows up and says they want to take on Necrozma themselves, but, nah, I don't think so. I press forward, and in my first trainer battle I have Voracek faint, welp. It's a bit smoother the rest of the way. I do pick up a Boldore :boldore:, a Machoke :machoke:, a Lycanroc :lycanroc:, a Mienfoo :mienfoo:, a Jangmo-o :jangmoo: and the Dazzling Gleam, Flamethrower and Wild Charge TMs. Nearing the end, I run into a trainer battle against a Veteran, and he throws out a Flygon :flygon: that manages to take out both Nurse and Voracek so rip.

Just making a note, but midway through Lillie came up and talked about how she wants to fight with Pokemon and become stronger and whatever. My natural response is just “You’ve still got a way to go”. Like man, I’m glad I’m able to be kind of a jerk to Lillie. Not because I want to be mean to her or anything, but it’s just humorous to me. I’m sure some people might disagree with that, though, lol

So I make it to the end, and now I guess I've made it to trial 7, which doesn't have a captain? Okay then. My team at this point is Nurse :primarina: (Lv. 59), Vasilevski :vikavolt: (Lv. 59), Rantanen :mudsdale: (Lv. 59), Voracek :salazzle: (Lv. 59), Bear :bewear: (Lv. 58) and Luongo :tsareena: (Lv. 59). Even though I had debated bringing in somebody like Jangmo-o :jangmoo: instead of Bear :bewear: early in my playthrough, I've decided against it. This team is pretty good, I have no intent of changing them now. Definitely happy with who I’ve selected to bring with me.

As for the trial itself, well, it's very straightforward. Just wander to the Z crystal. I end up fighting both Jangmo-o :jangmoo: and Hakamo-o :hakamoo:, so it comes as no surprise to me that the Totem Pokemon is Kommo-o :kommoo:. I lead with Bear and decide just to use Thrash. I get lucky with the affection dodge at the beginning that I think saved Bear from fainting later on. Scizor :scizor: shows up, and Bear targets it with Thrash and takes it down, although any sort of progress made with my initial Thrash on Kommo-o was lost. Noivern :noivern: shows up, I decide to switch in Nurse for Bear, and Nurse is able to take out Noivern but barely survives Kommo-o's Poison Jab. I end up switching in Voracek for Nurse, since Voracek has Dragon Pulse for the moment and I can Toxic stall Kommo-o out at worst. It took two Hyper Potions, two Dragon Pulses, one Toxic and one Flamethrower (since at that point Kommo-o only had like 1 HP left) but Kommo-o finally goes down. And that's trial #7 done, with the Dragonium Z crystal obtained!

With that out of the way, I can finally reach the Alter of the Moone. So, uh, time for some more plot! Climbing to the top, Lillie and I play the Sun Flute and Moon Flute respectively. Nebby goes into the energy field that appears and turns into Lunala :lunala:. And, uh, welp, Guzma and Lusamine reappear, and Necrozma :necrozma: makes its entrance. Necrozma and Lunala kinda just merge together and become this :necrozmadawn:. The Ultra Beasts appear throughout the world as well thanks to Necrozma.

Now I'm forced into a fight with Necrozma :necrozmadawn:. I'm still leading with Bear :bewear:, and lmao, the first turn is great as we both use moves that can't affect the other. Bear then uses Shadow Claw, barely survives a Psychic and then finishes Necrozma off with another Shadow Claw.

Necrozma kinda just disappears, and more plot gets underway as the weirdo space duo who failed to stop Necrozma from coming into Alola come along. I do enjoy Phyco's line of "You egotistical woman!" to Lusamine. So basically they're trying to figure out how to stop Necrozma, and I get offered to use Solgaleo :solgaleo: so hey, that's cool.

I get introduced to the whole Ultra Space Ride mechanic. Having to use the gyroscope to move around is definitely a bit finicky, not gonna lie. I mess up and end up in the Ultra Space Wilds a couple of times, catching a Quagsire :quagsire: and Drapion :drapion:. Third time's the charm as I make it to Ultra Megalopolis, where Necrozma awaits. I'm greeted by weirdo space race people, who talk about Necrozma and light and whatever. All I care about is getting to the top of Megalo Tower and facing off against Necrozma.

So, it's time for Ultra Necrozma :necrozmaultra:. I was aware of how hard Ultra Necrozoma could be going in, but I decided I'd just go for it on my first go and if I failed I'd back out and come up with some strategy for how to handle it. My team was Nurse :primarina: (Lv. 59), Vasilevski :vikavolt: (Lv. 60), Rantanen :mudsdale: (Lv. 59), Voracek :salazzle: (Lv. 60), Bear :bewear: (Lv. 60) and Luongo :tsareena: (Lv. 59). So despite my team being overleveled for most of this game, it somehow was leveled perfectly with Necrozma. I led with Rantanen :mudsdale:.

Here's how it all went down:
Ultra Necrozma / Me

(Rantanen in :mudsdale:)
Photon Geyser / Earthquake
Photon Geyser (Affection Dodge) / Earthquake
Dragon Pulse (Affection Sturdy) / Earthquake (UN half health)
Photon Geyser / Max Potion (Rantanen faints)

(Voracek in :salazzle:)
Photon Geyser (Affection Sturdy) / Roto Boost (should've just gone all or nothing with Toxic here tbh)
Photon Geyser (Voracek faints)

(Vasilevski in :vikavolt:)
Power Gem / Roto Boost
Power Gem (Affection Dodge) / Max Potion
Power Gem / X Sp. Def
Power Gem / Hyper Potion
Power Gem / Hyper Potion
Power Gem / Hyper Potion
Power Gem / Hyper Potion
Power Gem / Hyper Potion
Power Gem (Affection Dodge) / Hyper Potion
Power Gem / X Sp. Def
Power Gem / X Def
Power Gem / Hyper Potion
Power Gem / Hyper Potion
Power Gem Affection Dodge / X Def
Power Gem / Thunderbolt
Dragon Pulse / Hyper Potion
Power Gem / Hyper Potion
Power Gem (Critical Hit) (Vasy faints)

(Bear in :bewear:)
Smart Strike / X Def
Power Gem / X Def
Dragon Pulse (Bear faints)

(Luongo in :tsareena:)
Dragon Pulse / Power Whip
Power Gem / Max Revive (Luongo faints)

(Bear in :bewear:)
Dragon Pulse (Bear faints)

(Nurse in :primarina:)
Power Gem / Moonblast

So 31 turns in total to take it down. I got some massive luck thanks to the affection bonuses, which really helped save the day for me. Really, the only real unlucky part was that critical hit which took down Vasilevski, because god damn she was at a +5 Defense/Sp. Defense and could handle all of Necrozma's hits and would’ve saved me from 4 additional faints. I legit thought it was over once she died, but thankfully Nurse saved the day by being able to take the Power Gem and then get Moonblast in, which managed to take care of Necrozma's remaining health.

Really, I don't know how I pulled that off without having all of my party faint. I was prepared to have to have another go at it, but man, I somehow did it first go. Really fortunate, really happy when I managed to pull it off.

So the cutscene plays, Necrozma melts away, and the weirdo space race comes up. I get told how Ultra Necrozma was the form that had a bunch of light, which makes sense. Both Necrozma and Nebby are now back in Alola now. I do get the Ultra Beast Poipole :poipole: from them, so hey that's pretty nice. They give me a choice of taking Solgelao or Lunala back, and I decide to take their Lunala back to Alola, although I don't think the choice really mattered, lol.

Back in Alola, weirdo space pair who I guess weren’t evil after all explain how Necrozma's aura, the Z powers and the auras of the Totem Pokemon are all the same. Guzma learned a lesson. Lusamine gives me some Beast Balls. Lillie leaves me to take care of Nebby back at Aether Paradise. So, uh, that's more or less the plot wrapped up before the 8th trial, as always for a Pokemon game (except, like, BW). Mina shows up and offers to let me take on her trial, so yeah, let's go do that.

I wasn't sure I'd actually get this far in today, but hey, it's time for Mina's trial, the 8th and final one! My team, which I sure have posted a lot this update, is Nurse :primarina: (Lv. 60), Vasilevski :vikavolt: (Lv. 60), Rantanen :mudsdale: (Lv. 59), Voracek :salazzle: (Lv. 60), Bear :bewear: (Lv. 60) and Luongo :tsareena: (Lv. 59). And all I have to do for this trial is battle Mina. That's a nice change of pace, I guess. Of course, she's underleveled compared to me so I roll over her fairy-centric team of Mawile :mawile:, Granbull :granbull: and Rimbombee :ribombee: easily with just Rantanen, Luongo and Vasilevski. Or, well, it would've been easier if I bothered healing and didn't let a critical hit from her Granbull take out Rantanen. whoops

So now I'm done the 8th trial!...except I'm not, cause I get faked out and she's just the beginning of her trial. Dang. So I have to go around and re-match all the captains. Can do.

First stop is Hau'lai Cemetary, where I run into Hau. He sure seems different now. Definitely interesting to see him go from "fun and carefree" to more serious and whatnot. Anyways, I go over to Ilima and face off against him. It's an easy enough fight. Next, I go to Lush Jungle to face off against Lana. Lana's fight is easy, though I'm given a scare when she uses her Z-power and nearly knocks out Vasy. I don't have to face Mallow, she just gives me the petal, so next up is Wela Volcano Park. Kiawe manages to faint Voracek with his Alolan Marowak, but otherwise he's pretty well handled. I do have to face the hiker right after, but he goes down easily.

Next is Hokulani Observatory, where Sophocles just gives me his petal without a fuss. Last up is Aether House, where I see a familiar face in Guzma waiting outside. Hau comes outside as well, and they basically talk about how Guzma's island challenge went. I get to face Nanu instead of Acerola, and, welp, Voracek faints again. That's happening way too often. Otherwise the fight is fine.

Now that I've gotten all 7 petals, I finally go back to Mina, and finally I face the final Totem Pokemon, Ribombee :ribombee:. I lead with Voracek, but Ribombee is able to negate the damage Voracek does through Flamethrower. It starts raining, so I switch Voracek for Vasilevski, but then Vasilevski ends up fainting so welp. Luongo switches in for Vasy to deal with the ally Pelipper :pelipper:, but I forget that Bug is super effective against Grass so welp, Luongo faints. I switch Nurse in, but she also faints. God damn this fight shouldn't be this hard. Rantanen comes in, she's able to hit Ribombee but then falls the next turn.

So, the main problem is Ribombee's stats and Quiver Dance make it an absolute ***** to face up against now. +2 attack, +2 defense, +5 Sp. Atk, +5 Sp. Def, +5 Speed at the point I’m typing this. Like that's super beastly. Of course, I’ve made a mess of things by continuing to revive Pokemon on the first turn I bring a new Pokemon in. I switch Voracek back in, Flamethrower isn't enough to kill it, but thankfully Pelipper doesn't kill her. Voracek survives a Bug Buzz and gets rid of Ribombee before falling to Pelipper. Then I bring Bear in to finally take down Pelipper.

So finally I'm done the 8th and final trial. I get the Fairium Z crystal, and now all that remains between me and the new Pokemon League is Hapu's grand trial, which is on Exeggutor Island. So let's just do it right now. My team is still Nurse :primarina: (Lv. 61), Vasilevski :vikavolt: (Lv. 61), Rantanen :mudsdale: (Lv. 61), Voracek :salazzle: (Lv. 61), Bear :bewear: (Lv. 61) and Luongo :tsareena: (Lv. 61). I go in and easily beat her, relying exclusively on Nurse and Luongo. Which is good, since I was so sick of fainting, lol. I get the Groundium Z crystal, and just like that the last grand trial is over.

So I do one last thing, and that's getting Totem Mimikyu :mimikyu: from Oak on Heahea Beach. But yeah, that's a good stopping point. All that remains of the main story is Mount Lanakila and the Pokemon League. So, yeah, I've almost made it! This has definitely been an enjoyable game, I’ve enjoyed the story and the gameplay, so yeah, happy I’m almost done but a bit sad at the same time.

New Pokemon Encountered:
Poni Island:
Turtonator :turtonator: (Ancient Poni Path battle)
Drampa :drampa: (Ancient Poni Path battle)
Sandshrew :sandshrew: (Poni Breaker Coast battle)
Persian :persian: (Poni Breaker Coast battle)
Dragalge :dragalge: (Poni Breaker Coast battle)
Exeggcute :exeggcute: (Exeggutor Island encounter)
Gastrodon :gastrodon: (Exeggutor Island encounter)
Beheeyem :beheeyem: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Alolan Sandslash :alolansandslash: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Alolan Ninetails :alolanninetales: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Kabutops :kabutops: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Tyrantrum :tyrantrum: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Boldore :boldore: (Vast Poni Canyon encounter)
Xatu :xatu: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Dewgong :dewgong: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Weavile :weavile: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Jangmo-o :jangmoo: (Vast Poni Canyon encounter)
Hakamo-o :hakamoo: (Vast Poni Canyon encounter)
Magnezone :magnezone: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Scrafty :scrafty: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Pangoro :pangoro: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Crawdaunt :crawdaunt: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Poliwrath :poliwrath: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Crabominable :crabominable: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Golduck :golduck: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Lapras :lapras: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Talonflame :talonflame: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Wailord :wailord: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Flygon :flygon: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Slowking :slowking: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Kommo-o :kommoo: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Scizor :scizor: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Noivern :noivern: (Vast Poni Canyon battle)
Necrozma :necrozma: (Alter of the Moone battle)
Golurk :golurk: (Exeggutor Island battle)

Ultra Space:
Quagsire :quagsire: (Ultra Space Wilds encounter)
Drapion :drapion: (Ultra Space Wilds encounter)

Akala Island:
Lanturn :lanturn: (Lush Jungle battle)
Cloyster :cloyster: (Lush Jungle battle)

Ula'ula Island:
Shelgon :shelgon: (Tapu Village battle)
Sliggoo :sliggo: (Tapu Village battle)
Gabite :gabite: (Tapu Village battle)

New Pokemon Gotten:
Poni Island:
Granbull :granbull: (Poni Wilds, Lv. 42)
Exeggute :exeggcute: (Exeggutor Island, Lv. 45)
Tropius :tropius: (Exeggutor Island, Lv. 42)
Alolan Exeggutor :alolanexeggutor: (Exeggutor Island, Lv. 42)
Gastrodon :gastrodon: (Exeggutor Island, Lv. 42)
Boldore :boldore: (Vast Poni Canyon, Lv. 45)
Machoke :machoke: (Vast Poni Canyon, Lv. 44)
Lycanroc :lycanroc: (Vast Poni Canyon, Lv. 42)
Mienfoo :mienfoo: (Vast Poni Canyon, Lv. 44)
Jangmo-o :jangmoo: (Vast Poni Canyon, Lv. 45)

Ultra Space:
Quagsire :quagsire: (Ultra Space Wilds, Lv. 60)
Drapion :drapion: (Ultra Space Wilds, Lv. 60)
Poipole :poipole: (Megalo Tower, Lv. 40)

Akala Island:
Totem Mimikyu :mimikyu: (Heahea Beach, Lv. 40)

Pokemon Evolved:
None ):

Stats:
Playtime: 46:55
Pokemon Seen: 284
Pokemon Gotten: 138
Pokemon Fainted: 46
Z Crystals Obtained: 19

Party:
Main:
Lv. 62
Icy Wind, Sparkling Aria, Hyper Voice, Moonblast

Lv. 62
Agility, Bug Buzz, Thunderbolt, Crunch

Lv. 62
High Horsepower, Stomp, Heavy Slam, Earthquake

Lv. 62
Flamethrower, Nasty Plot, Dragon Pulse, Toxic

Lv. 62

Lv. 62
Stomp, Power Whip, Teeter Dance, Trop Kick

Boxed Pokemon:
Box 1:
Lv. 21

Lv. 4

Lv. 14

Lv. 7

Lv. 8

Lv. 38

Lv. 10

Lv. 8

Lv. 9

Lv. 6

Lv. 22

Lv. 30

Lv. 8

Lv. 9

Lv. 6

Lv. 11

Lv. 25

Lv. 29

Lv. 9

Lv. 17

Lv. 11

Lv. 11

Lv. 12

Lv. 10

Lv. 10

Lv. 10

Lv. 12

Lv. 30

Lv. 14

Lv. 14

Box 2:
Lv. 9

Lv. 14

Lv. 13

Lv. 13

Lv. 13

Lv. 11

Lv. 20

Lv. 11

Lv. 14

Lv. 20

Lv. 21

Lv. 28

Lv. 15

Lv. 17

Lv. 10

Lv. 12

Lv. 22

Lv. 15

Lv. 27

Lv. 18

Lv. 19

Lv. 18

Lv. 20

Lv. 18

Lv. 25

Lv. 22

Lv. 25

Lv. 1

Lv. 21

Lv. 22

Box 3:
Lv. 29

Lv. 21

Lv. 20

Lv. 23

Lv. 23

Lv. 25

Lv. 25

Lv. 28

Lv. 27

Lv. 25

Lv. 27

Lv. 29

Lv. 28

Lv. 28

Lv. 29

Lv. 28

Lv. 30

Lv. 26

Lv. 26

Lv. 29

Lv. 33

Lv. 32

Lv. 34

Lv. 33

Lv. 32

Lv. 33

Lv. 34

Lv. 33

Lv. 33

Lv. 30

Box 4:
Lv. 34

Lv. 34

Lv. 36

Lv. 40

Lv. 18

Lv. 35

Lv. 40

:granbull: Granbull
Lv. 42

:exeggcute: Exeggute
Lv. 45

:tropius: Tropius
Lv. 42

:alolanexeggutor: Alolan Exeggutor
Lv. 42

:gastrodon: Gastrodon
Lv. 42

:boldore: Boldore
Lv. 45

:machoke: Machoke
Lv. 44

:lycanroc: Lycanroc
Lv. 42

:mienfoo: Mienfoo
Lv. 44

:jangmoo: Jangmo-o
Lv. 45

:quagsire: Quagsire
Lv. 60

:drapion: Drapion
Lv. 60

:poipole: Poipole
Lv. 40

:mimikyu: Totem Mimikyu
Lv. 40

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Ultra. Necrozma. Come to think of it, you ended up fainting 5 out of your 6 mons with Bear fainting twice, and that's in a vanilla walkthrough. I'm pretty sure this would be a total wreck if this were a nuzlocke. But still, let's hope that everyone doing a nuzlocke run in USUM (including myself) will manage with minimum faints possible.

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
I agree. This likely would have been a wipe if this was a Nuzlocke. Oh boy.

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
@sanianisa - lol, yeah, this is why I said I don't do Nuzlocke's. I would absolutely hate it if I ended up in a situation like Ultra Necrozma where my entire team just got wiped out and I could no longer use them. I'd probably just quit Pokemon right there and then.

Update 9 (Pokemon League, A New Champion):
So I took a break from playing Ultra Moon yesterday as I was busy with other things. But now I'm going to play it today. And I'm going to beat it today.

First up, I make my way to Mount Lanakila. Ex-Team Skull member Gladion thanks me and offers me a battle. It goes pretty well, except his Zoroark manages to kill Voracek with its Z move so welp, and Silvally gives me a bit of trouble but not too much. After the fight, Gladion tells me of Lillie heading up Mahalo Trail, so hey, why not pop over there for a quick second?

I go and head up Mahalo Trail for the first time since the beginning of the game, and I run into Lillie and Nebby :lunala:. Lillie offers me the chance to properly fight/catch Nebby, and hey, I gladly jump on that. I let Nurse take down Lunala's health, use Thunder Wave with Vasy to paralyze it then start throwing balls. It only takes two Dusk Balls to capture it, so that's pretty nice. I do the needful and name Lunala Nebby, even if it won't be used because using legendaries is lame. I also get the Lunalium Z crystal from Lillie, so that's good even if it'll never get used.

Before I resume progress, I notice the bridge was re-built. So I go over it into the Ruins of Conflict, but there's nothing here so rip. I imagine this will be a post-game thing.

So now onto Mount Lanakila proper. From what I know, this is basically the Victory Road of this game. I go through it, catching a Drampa :drampa:, a Glalie :glalie: and getting the Poison Jab TM. Midway through, I see Necrozma :necrozma:. I decide to go for it and try to capture it. Unfortunately Luongo faints, and then Vasilevski does as well. I try to revive and get Vasy back to full health to get Thunder Wave in, which costs me both Voracek and Bear. Thankfully, once I get Vasy in and paralyze it, I'm able to capture it with my first Dusk Ball. I name it Blinding One because story. I get the Ultranecrozium Z crystal too, which is kinda hard to say, lol. Colress comes along and gives me the N-Solarizer and N-Lunarizer to fuse Necrozma and Solgaleo together and Necrozma and Lunala together respectively.

So I go back to the Pokemon Center in Tapu Village, heal back up, then get back to getting through the mountain. I get the Ice Beam TM and the Icium Z crystal. Nearing the end and getting into a double battle with an ace trainer and vet, Vasilevski faints to a Tyranitar so rip. But I've finally made it to the top! I buy a bunch of stuff at the Pokemon Center and get my team prepared. I meet up with Professor Kukui, which is the first time I've seen him since midgame, lol. He talks about how he tried to challenge the Kanto Pokemon League but failed, which is interesting.

Heading into the Pokemon League, my team stands at Nurse :primarina: (Lv. 65), Vasilevski :vikavolt: (Lv. 65), Rantanen :mudsdale: (Lv. 65), Voracek :salazzle: (Lv. 65), Bear :bewear: (Lv. 65) and Luongo :tsareena: (Lv. 65). I don't know how this will go, but I have full faith my team can pull it off.

I choose to do the Elite Four in order, from left to right. So first up is a familiar face in Molayne, who's a steel user. Rather than try to describe in detail if anything interesting happens (as I've done up to this point), I'll just post the turn-by-turn action and then a quick analysis at the end.

Nurse :primarina: vs Klefki :klefki:

Turn 1 - Sparkling Aria / Thunder Wave
(Nurse paralyzed)
Turn 2 - Paralyzed / Spikes
Turn 3 - Sparkling Aria / Flash Cannon
(Klefki faints)
(Nurse switched out for Rantanen)

Rantanen :mudsdale: vs Magnezone :magnezone:

(Rantanen takes spikes damage)
Turn 4 - Earthquake / Screech
(Magnezone holds on with Sturdy)
Turn 5 - Earthquake / Full Restore
(Magnezone holds on with Sturdy...again)
Turn 6 - Earthquake / Full Restore
(Magnezone holds on with Sturdy...yes, again)
Turn 7 - Earthquake / Flash Cannon
(Magnezone faints)

Rantanen :mudsdale: vs Metagross :metagross:

Turn 8 - High Horsepower / Meteor Mash
Turn 9 - Hyper Potion / Meteor Mash (Affection Dodge)
Turn 10 - High Horsepower / Meteor Mash
(Metagross faints)
(Rantanen switched out for Voracek)

Voracek :salazzle: vs Alolan Dugtrio :alolandugtrio:

(Voracek takes spikes damage)
Turn 11 - Flamethrower
(Dugtrio faints)

Voracek :salazzle: vs Bisharp :bisharp:

Turn 12 - Flamethrower
(Bisharp faints)

Overall, a very good first E4 battle. There really wasn't any issue dealing with his team, as Rantanen/Voracek combined to deal with most of his team without many problems.

I heal up my team, and next up is Akala Island's kahuna, Olivia, who specializes in rock types as seen earlier in this playthrough.

Nurse :primarina: vs Armaldo :armaldo:

Turn 1 - Sparkling Aria / Crush Claw
(Armaldo faints)
(Nurse switched out for Luongo)

Luongo :tsareena: vs Cradily :cradily:

Turn 2 - Power Whip / Stealth Rock
Turn 3 - Trop Kick
(Cradily faints)

Luongo :tsareena: vs Gigalith :gigalith:

(Gigalith's Sand Stream creates a sandstorm)
Turn 4 - Trop Kick / Bulldoze
Turn 5 - Trop Kick
(Gigalith faints)
(Luongo switched out for Bear)

Bear :bewear: vs Lycanroc :lycanroc:

Turn 6 - Hammer Arm
(Lycanroc faints)

Bear :bewear: vs Probopass :probopass:

Turn 7 - Hammer Arm (Affection Crit) / Thunder Wave
(Probopass holds on with Sturdy)
Turn 8 - Paralyze Heal / Full Restore
(Sandstorm subsides)
Turn 9 - Hammer Arm / Thunder Wave (Affection Dodge)
(Probopass holds on with Sturdy)
Turn 10 - Dragon Claw / Earth Power
(Probopass faints)

Another very good E4 battle. Thankfully my team was able to easily exploit Rock's weaknesses and not really be harmed too much by Olivia's team.

I once again heal up my team, and next up we have Acerola, the Ula'ula Island trial captain and her ghost team.

Nurse :primarina: vs Banette :banette:

Turn 1 - Moonblast / Shadow Claw
(Banette faints)
(Nurse switched out for Voracek)

Voracek :salazzle: vs Dhelmise :dhelmise:

Turn 2 - Flamethrower
(Dhelmise faints)
(Voracek switched out for Nurse)

Nurse :primarina: vs Palossand :palossand:

Turn 3 - Sparkling Aria
(Palossand faints)
(Nurse switched out for Voracek)

Voracek :salazzle: vs Froslass :froslass:

Turn 4 - Flamethrower
(Froslass faints)
(Voracek switched out for Bear)

Bear :bewear: vs Drifblim :drifblim:

Turn 5 - Shadow Claw / Focus Energy
Turn 6 - Shadow Claw
(Drifblim's Aftermath hurts Bear)
(Drifblim faints)

I kinda just destroyed Acerola's team. oops. Only one turn over the minimum number of turns I could've ended up with, like dang.

So I heal my team once again, and now it's time for the final member of the E4. It's Kahili, who's a flying type user. I guess I saw her all the way back on Ten Carat Hill, but I had to look it up to make sure. She's basically had no time in the game compared to the other 3 E4 members, lol.

Vasilevski :vikavolt: vs Braviary :braviary:

Turn 1 - Agility / Brave Bird
Turn 2 - Hyper Potion / Brave Bird
Turn 3 - Hyper Potion / Brave Bird
Turn 4 - Hyper Potion / Brave Bird
Turn 5 - Hyper Potion / Brave Bird (Affection Dodge)
Turn 6 - Thunderbolt
(Braviary faints)

Vasilevski :vikavolt: vs Mandibuzz :mandibuzz:

Turn 7 - Thunderbolt (Affection Crit)
(Mandibuzz faints)

Vasilevski :vikavolt: vs Toucannon :toucannon:

Turn 8 - Thunderbolt
(Toucannon faints)

Vasilevski :vikavolt: vs Oricorio :oricorio:

Turn 9 - Thunderbolt
(Oricorio faints)

Vasilevski :vikavolt: vs Hawlucha :hawlucha:

Turn 10 - Thunderbolt
(Hawlucha faints)

So Vasilevski, who hadn't seen any E4 action up to this point, ends up sweeping Kahili's team easily thanks to outspeeding all her Pokemon after one Agility. I could've cut out Turns 2-5 if I had known this, but I didn't want to risk it, lol

Oh boy, I've finished off the Elite 4. Now all that remains is the champion! And surprise! There is none! I actually knew about this going into this game, that there is no actual champion, so you automatically become the champion, lmao. But of course, I need one last fight to finish this all off, before I can rightfully be the champion. And I haven't battled Hau in the longest time, even though he is my rival. Because, of course, the last fight in the Pokemon League is against Hau!

Nurse :primarina: vs Alolan Raichu :alolanraichu:

Turn 1 - Switch out Nurse for Rantanen / Thunderbolt (doesn't affect Rantanen)

Rantanen :mudsdale: vs Alolan Raichu :alolanraichu:

Turn 2 - High Horsepower / Psychic
(Alolan Raichu faints)
(Rantanen switched out for Voracek)

Voracek :salazzle: vs Crabominable :crabominable:

Turn 3 - Flamethrower (Affection Crit)
(Crabominable faints)
(Voracek switched out for Bear)

Bear :bewear: vs Tauros :tauros:

(Tauros' Intimidate gives Bear -1 Attack)
Turn 4 - Hammer Arm / Earthquake
(Tauros faints)
(Bear switched out for Vasilevski)

Vasilevski :vikavolt: vs Noivern :noivern:

Turn 5 - Thunderbolt / Dragon Pulse
Turn 6 - Thunderbolt / Full Restore
Turn 7 - Thunderbolt / Dragon Pulse
(Noivern faints)
(Vasilevski switched out for Nurse)

Nurse :primarina: vs Incineroar :incineroar:

Turn 8 - Sparkling Aria / Earthquake
Turn 9 - Sparkling Aria / Full Restore
Turn 10 - Sparkling Aria
(Incineroar faints)
(Nurse switched out for Luongo)

Luongo :tsareena: vs Leafeon :leafeon:

Turn 11 - Teeter Dance / Charm
Turn 12 - Trop Kick / Itself
Turn 13 - Trop Kick / Itself
Turn 14 - Stomp / Leaf Blade
Turn 15 - Teeter Dance / Leaf Blade
Turn 16 - Stomp / Itself
Turn 17 - Stomp / Full Restore
Turn 18 - Teeter Dance / Leaf Blade
Turn 19 - Stomp / Itself
Turn 20 - Stomp / Leaf Blade (Affection Dodge)
Turn 21 - Stomp (Affection Crit) / Leaf Blade
Turn 22 - Stomp / Baby-Doll Eyes (fails due to Queenly Majesty)
Turn 23 - Stomp / Leaf Blade (Crit)
(Leafeon has like 1 HP left jeez)
Turn 24 - Stomp / Leaf Blade (Affection Dodge)
(Leafeon faints)

So, yeah, that went very well. I wanted to set it up so that each of my Pokemon took down one of Hau's Pokemon, which explains why I went for Luongo against Leafeon instead of Voracek, lol. But yeah, my team matched up well and I was able to beat him handily.

So, yep, that's it. That is Pokemon Ultra Moon. The ending cutscene + credits play, as I've successfully managed to complete the game!

So, I'll post some thoughts in a sec, but first the standard info I've been posting (plus actual pictures of the team, which includes their stats):
New Pokemon Encountered:
Akala Island:
Silvally :silvally: (Mount Lanakila battle)
Scyther :scyther: (Mount Lanakila battle)
Malamar :malamar: (Mount Lanakila battle)
Shiinotic :shiinotic: (Mount Lanakila battle)
Goodra :goodra: (Mount Lanakila battle)
Glalie :glalie: (Mount Lanakila encounter)
Relicanth :relicanth: (Mount Lanakila battle)
Machamp :machamp: (Mount Lanakila battle)
Florges :florges: (Mount Lanakila battle)
Gigalith :gigalith: (Mount Lanakila battle)
Pyroar :pyroar: (Mount Lanakila battle)
Emolga :emolga: (Mount Lanakila battle)
Vanilluxe :vanilluxe: (Mount Lanakila battle)
Mismagius :mismagius: (Mount Lanakila battle)
Forretress :forretress: (Mount Lanakila battle)
Tyranitar :tyranitar: (Mount Lanikila battle)
Bisharp :bisharp: (Mount Lanakila battle)
Metagross :metagross: (E4 battle)
Armaldo :armaldo: (E4 battle)
Cradily :cradily: (E4 battle)
Dhelmise :dhelmise: (E4 battle)
Palossand :palossand: (E4 battle)
Froslass :froslass: (E4 battle)
Braviary :braviary: (E4 battle)
Mandibuzz :mandibuzz: (E4 battle)

Melemele Island:
Lunala :lunala: (Mahalo Trail battle)

New Pokemon Gotten:
Melemele Island:
Nebby :lunala: (Mahalo Trail, Lv. 60)

Akala Island:
Drampa :drampa: (Mount Lanakila, Lv. 47)
Glalie :glalie: (Mount Lanakila, Lv. 50)
Blinding One :necrozma: (Mount Lanakila, Lv. 65)

Pokemon Evolved:
Yeah, you guessed it, nobody!

Stats:
Playtime: 50:47
Pokemon Seen: 316
Pokemon Gotten: 142
Pokemon Fainted: 51
Z Crystals Obtained: 22

Party:
Main:
Lv. 68

Lv. 68

Lv. 67

Lv. 67

Lv. 67

Lv. 67

Boxed Pokemon:
Box 1:
Lv. 21

Lv. 4

Lv. 14

Lv. 7

Lv. 8

Lv. 38

Lv. 10

Lv. 8

Lv. 9

Lv. 6

Lv. 22

Lv. 30

Lv. 8

Lv. 9

Lv. 6

Lv. 11

Lv. 25

Lv. 29

Lv. 9

Lv. 17

Lv. 11

Lv. 11

Lv. 12

Lv. 10

Lv. 10

Lv. 10

Lv. 12

Lv. 30

Lv. 14

Lv. 14

Box 2:
Lv. 9

Lv. 14

Lv. 13

Lv. 13

Lv. 13

Lv. 11

Lv. 20

Lv. 11

Lv. 14

Lv. 20

Lv. 21

Lv. 28

Lv. 15

Lv. 17

Lv. 10

Lv. 12

Lv. 22

Lv. 15

Lv. 27

Lv. 18

Lv. 19

Lv. 18

Lv. 20

Lv. 18

Lv. 25

Lv. 22

Lv. 25

Lv. 1

Lv. 21

Lv. 22

Box 3:
Lv. 29

Lv. 21

Lv. 20

Lv. 23

Lv. 23

Lv. 25

Lv. 25

Lv. 28

Lv. 27

Lv. 25

Lv. 27

Lv. 29

Lv. 28

Lv. 28

Lv. 29

Lv. 28

Lv. 30

Lv. 26

Lv. 26

Lv. 29

Lv. 33

Lv. 32

Lv. 34

Lv. 33

Lv. 32

Lv. 33

Lv. 34

Lv. 33

Lv. 33

Lv. 30

Box 4:
Lv. 34

Lv. 34

Lv. 36

Lv. 40

Lv. 18

Lv. 35

Lv. 40

:granbull: Granbull
Lv. 42

:exeggcute: Exeggute
Lv. 45

:tropius: Tropius
Lv. 42

:alolanexeggutor: Alolan Exeggutor
Lv. 42

:gastrodon: Gastrodon
Lv. 42

:boldore: Boldore
Lv. 45

:machoke: Machoke
Lv. 44

:lycanroc: Lycanroc
Lv. 42

:mienfoo: Mienfoo
Lv. 44

:jangmoo: Jangmo-o
Lv. 45

:quagsire: Quagsire
Lv. 60

:drapion: Drapion
Lv. 60

:poipole: Poipole
Lv. 40

:mimikyu: Totem Mimikyu
Lv. 40

:lunala: Nebby
Lv. 60

:drampa: Drampa
Lv. 47

:glalie: Glalie
Lv. 50

:necrozma: Blinding One
Lv. 65

"Final"/Overall Thoughts:
I only have final in quotation marks since this isn't the end of the playthrough, but I want to get these thoughts down right now since I just beat the game, lol. I’ll try and touch on everything that I think of as I’m writing this, though if anybody has questions for me feel free to ask them.

So, despite knowing some things about this game, I didn’t know everything (see: Update 7) and I wasn't too sure how things would go in the sense of how I'd enjoy it and whatever else. Like, let's be real, if it wasn't for my passion in the Pokemon series being reinvigorated by this community, there's no way I end up buying this game. But since I did get more into Pokemon, I was interested in playing it, since I hadn't played Gens 2 and 7 before (and 5 before AzuriPlays).

And, well, I'm very glad I did pick it up. I really enjoyed playing it. It honestly did feel fresh to me. Like, as a whole I'm happy with the changes they've made. There's a bunch of quality of life changes that I'm so thankful for. For example, in battles, showing if a move is effective/not effective, being able to view the stat changes for a Pokemon, being able to just select a Poke Ball right away with Y. Having no HMs was so amazing. I'm so happy they did that and replaced them with rideable Pokemon which are by far a million times better. I'm also happy you're able to now choose where to send a caught Pokemon to, rather than having it automatically just go to PC if your party is full. Even though I stuck with just Gen 7 Pokemon, I am happy they continued to have a wide variety of Pokemon, since that helps towards replayability and also being able to assemble a good and interesting team. And, from what I understand, USUM actually has more Pokemon available thanks to the Ultra Space Ride, so that’s really, really good. Like, these may be small things, sure, but they make a huge difference towards how much I am able to enjoy the game.

It's funny, like looking up some things just to make sure I do get everything I want to discuss down, I was actually surprised to see that the Pokemon-Amie from Gen 6 became the Pokemon Refresh in Gen 7. I guess it's because I barely used Pokemon-Amie, and I never actually did end up going into Pokemon Refresh through the menu. Every time I used it, it was after a battle by pressing the Y button when prompted. And, man, it's crazy how powerful it is. Because the affection bonuses really managed to save my bacon several times throughout this playthrough.

I guess it's also funny, maybe it's because I haven't played Sun/Moon and I haven't read too much about the changes between the two so I wouldn't know the difference in story between the two games, but honestly the story in this game seemed more than fine to me. Like I felt it was good enough for a Pokemon game. Like, aside from BW which easily had the best story in a Pokemon game to date, it's honestly up there for one of the better stories.

So, I guess let me go into that. Honestly, I enjoyed the story. To boil it down, on top of the obvious “complete the trials, beat the Pokemon League” it was more or less “Lillie steals Nebby, tags along with us, eventually gets stolen back to allow Lusamine to open an Ultra Wormhole, Lusamine pisses off the legendary Pokemon of the story Necrozma off camera, Necrozma breaks into this world, we have to beat it, we do, everything’s good”, with a whole bunch of build-up in there. Simple, yeah, and it could’ve been tightened up and whatnot, but honestly it wasn’t too bad for a Pokemon story.

I thought the main characters were good. Like, they all did change in some way, or there was some depth there that helped add characterization to them. Lillie, Hau, Gladion, Lusamine, Guzma all ended up changing in some way as the story went along, and even Kukui had more characterization to him than the other professors before him. Honestly, I’m really glad for this characterization, because man oh man you look at the previous game in XY, and I did not like any of the characterization in that, so it’s good to see that they really improved leaps and bounds over it. And as I said in previous updates, I really enjoyed Team Skull, and they’re easily one of my most favorite villain teams of all time now. Trial captains and island kahunas were good as well.

I guess I’ll also touch on the whole trials thing too, since that was obviously a huge part of the gameplay. I do like the change from gyms to trials. Trials, while very similar in purpose to gyms, are also quite different, and I like how they all have their own individual gimmick that eventually leads up to you facing the Totem Pokemon. Totem Pokemon themselves are an interesting idea, since it’s neat that you’re facing a powered up Pokemon as a boss who’s able to bring in allies as well. It’s nice to see GameFreak at least try and change things up with a core mechanic. The environments of the islands themselves were pretty decent as well.

That’s one other thing I’ll say. SOS battles are definitely interesting. They actually feel organic to me in a way. Like, the fact that a Pokemon is able to call for the help of another Pokemon when they’re in trouble makes sense to me. It’s also a clever way of being able to have there be more wild Pokemon without being able to run into those Pokemon initially, lol.

In terms of graphics and music, it was good. I enjoyed the music, I thought it worked well within the game itself with that context. Graphics were also nice, it was definitely a step up from the Gen 6 graphics. Obviously they've hit the 3DS' capabilities in that department, though, since there would always be slow down whenever I got into a double battle (although this is an original 3DS I'm playing on, so...). It was also nice to no longer have movement so restrained as well. Glad the next game is on the Switch. If this is what they can do on the 3DS, I can’t wait to see what they do on the Switch.

So there's a couple of things I'll touch on as well. There's a lot of features they have in there that honestly I'd never touch or only touch a couple of times. It’s just feature bloat, and it’s one thing I wish they’d scale back on. There's also the Rotom Dex, where honestly I just ignored Rotom for most of my playthrough. I basically stopped looking at the bottom screen for the most part since I didn't really care for dealing with Rotom. Like, I know it can be helpful with all the boosts and whatever, but man, that characterization was just grating for me. Also, Z moves themselves are interesting, but I only used them once in my entire playthrough. Obviously it wasn't that they weren't easily accessible or anything, it's just that I didn't care to use them, despite them being the big new thing in the game. I know I used mega evolutions more often than Z moves, so welp.

But overall, the important thing is I did enjoy it, as I've said time and time again. I had fun playing it, and I'd definitely play it again. It's an enjoyable game, the gameplay is solid, and the other aspects (story, graphics, music, etc) hold up well. It’s for sure one of the better Pokemon games.

I'm not too sure where I'd rank it amongst all the main series games I've played. It's top 5 for sure. I honestly think it's 3rd for me. It would only be behind HGSS and BW. The notables it's ahead of would be Platinum, which (although good) I just didn't enjoy as much as other people have, and Ruby, which obviously holds a place near and dear to my heart as it was my first ever main series Pokemon game. Even this gen itself, I'd rank it 3rd amongst the other gens (just fyi, I'd have it as 4 > 5 > 7 > 3 > 1/2/6).

As for the actual writing of this playthrough itself, it was definitely different, I will say that. I've never written about a game while I was playing it, so it was a new experience for me. As a whole, I don't write as often as I should, so my writing isn't as refined as it could be. This was definitely raw, to say the least. I guess it’s also worth mentioning that internally I do freak out over what I write, because I always worry that people may find it too simplistic or not detailed enough or whatever else. It doesn’t help that I’m not the best at expressing myself and explaining things. I hope that the people who read this did find it interesting and at least somewhat entertaining. All I can ask for, really. That said, I don't know if I'll ever do something like this again, tbh.

I do plan on finishing up the post-game at some point and having updates for it. It isn't a top priority for me at the moment, but I'm hoping to get it done before I have to go back to work (Jan. 2). I know there's the Ultra Beasts and Tapu's to capture, as well as that whole area past Poni Grove and also a couple of areas I never explored, lol. There's also the whole Rainbow Rocket thing. Not sure what else, though. But I'll figure it out as I go.

Last edited: