Knocking on Heaven's Gate - A Mafia-Less Mafia Game - OVER - Cult Wins

What should I do with this game if we don't get any more people?

• Shut It Down

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Transform It Into Standard

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I Don't Care

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
It's the mid 70s and Marshall Applewhite and his wife have stumbled on something. Something big. Extraterrestrials not only exist, but they are here to take us to heaven. After coming into contact with the extraterrestrials they have a plan to get as many people to those pearly gates. What they plan is to preach the message to anyone and everyone and be ready to board the spaceship following Comet Hale-Bopp. It's the only way out of this mortal plane. All he needed to do was convert people by any means necessary.

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5

What is This Mafia?
Mafia is typically a game about an uninformed majority against an informed minority. There is a day and night cycle. During the day, everyone who is alive meets together to chat and possibly decide on someone to lynch. during the night, night actions take place and people can do all sorts of things, but arguably most importantly, kill others. This game is slightly different. Rather than have a mafia, we will be having a Cult and a Serial Killer. The Serial Killer will kill people indiscriminately while the Cult will sap away at the Town's numbers to add to their own. Who will win? The Townsfolk? The Rising Cult? Or the Lone Wolf?

Rules:
Do not talk about Mafia outside of Mafia. Period. Doing so will result in a modkill.
-
Do not directly quote any private message received by me. Doing so will result in a modkill. You may convey what I have told you via private message, but you must not use the quote button. Type it in your own words.
-
Follow all rules of the forums. The exception is double posting. You may post up to twice in a row during the game, but no more. Any more than that will result in a traditional warning.
-
Sometimes, roles will be accompanied by flavor text or specific names to fit a story. Do not disclose either of these to anybody, inside the game or out. Doing so will result in a modkill.
-
Try not to post about hosting meta when the game begins. This will be lenient early on, but if it becomes excessive, it may result in a modkill.
-
Play to win. Not only will throwing get you flak from other players in the game, but it will also result in a modkill.
It is recommended, though not required, to watch the thread while the game takes place. This will make it at least a little bit easier to follow as it progresses.
-
Do not use the reactions on posts in this thread while the game is ongoing.
-
This game uses a Majority Lynch. If at the end of the day a player has more than 50% of the votes, they will be lynched. Individual lynch votes are not locked in. Lynches will be locked in and skipping day will be an alternative to lynching.
-
Days will be 72 hours and Nights will be 48 hours until we reach endgame where Days will be 48 and Nights will be 24.

FAQ:
Q: How many players does Mafia need?
A: There is no real requirement for how many players you need for Mafia, though you do need a minimum of three for the game to be playable in its most basic form.

Q: How are replacements handled?
A: In the case of request, inactivity, or host intervention, a replacement may take the spot of the player in question before the end of Day 3. After Night 3 has ended, the player in question will simply be Mod-Killed. This is to prevent replacements from being forced to catch up on so many posts in such a short amount of time.

Q: How do I vote?
A: You can vote for a player by placing /Vote [Username] or ##Vote: [Username] in any of your posts. To unvote, you simple need to put /Unvote or ##Unvote in your post. To vote to end the Day without a lynch, you may put /Vote Skip or ##Vote: Skip in your post.

Q: Can duplicate roles exist?
A: Yes. However, there are a few exceptions that can occur. A player who receives a unique role will be notified as such in their Role PM.

Q: How are night chats handled?
A: Through PM on this forum. I will add the relevant people to every night chat. Some roles also have their own specific Night Chat. Players will be notified in their Role PM if this is the case.

Q: How do we submit our actions?
A: Either in your Role PM, a separate PM to me, or in your relevant Night Chat.

Q: Is there an activity policy?
A: Yes. You must submit at least one message or action per Day/Night phase. If you aren't doing anything, tell me as such through PM. If you fall foul of this policy once without messaging me in advance, you will be modkilled.

Q: Can I delete/edit my posts?
A: No. What you submit must stay on the record (I will ask the mods to double check this at the end of each day, so I will know!). This is why you are allowed to double post. Persisting editing/deleting posts will result in you getting modkilled.

Win Conditions:
Town wins if the Cult is eliminated and Serial Killer is dead.
Cult Wins if they are at equal or greater numbers to the town and the Serial Killer is dead.
Serial Killer wins if they are one of the final two people or the last one alive.

Citizen
Has no night action.

Doctor
Can choose a person each night. If that person was also targeted by a killing night action, they will survive and get the message of attacked and healed.

Weak Doctor
Can choose a person each night. If that person was also targeted by a killing night action, they will survive and get the message of attacked and healed. If they choose a person that is not town, they die.

Sheriff
Can choose a person each night to investigate. They will be notified of that person's faction.

Deputy
Upon the sheriff dying, turns into a Sheriff. Has no purpose otherwise.

Bodyguard
Can choose to protect someone. If that person was also targeted by a killing night action, both the bodyguard and the person killing will die.

Tracker
Can track a person each night. This will reveal who the target visited.

Watcher
Can watch a person each night. This will reveal who the target was visited by.

Jailer
Can hold someone in jail overnight. This person becomes immune to night actions and cannot perform one. The jailer enters a night chat with this person under an anonymous account. They can chose whether or not to execute (kill) the person in jail before the night ends.

Commuter
Can choose to leave town and avoid all night actions. Cannot do this two nights in a row.

Gunsmith
Can make a gun for someone during the night. Cannot do this two nights in a row. These guns can be shot at any time.

Vigilante
Has two shots that they can fire at night to kill someone.

Dancer
Can keep someone from performing their night action.

Mason Leader
Can recruit Citizens to the masonry. These people share a night chat and cannot be recruited by the Cult Leader.

Mayor
Can choose to reveal themselves at any time. Once they do, their vote counts as 3.

Bus Driver
Can choose two people each night. Night actions will be swapped targets between the two people.

Cult Leader
Can recruit a person each night. Cannot recruit masons. If killed Night 1, the person they recruited Night 1 will become the new Cult Leader. The cult gets their own night chat. If the Cult Leader dies after night one, the cult cannot recruit more members.

Serial Killer
Can kill someone each night. Has an autovest.

1--LuluRina
2--Biohazard
3--SAF
4--Foolhard
5--Godot
6--Felly
7--Luke Strife
8--Mystical
9--Moonwatcher
10--Typhlosion
11--Vivid Stardust

Reserves
1--Resolute
2--Eevee​

Last edited:

Rainbow Rocket Grunt

Team Rocket Grunt
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Aimee, Lulu, LuluRina, Rina, ALL HAIL GIOVANNI!
Time Zone
GMT+11
IGN
Lulu
Welp, might as well be the first to say it...

IN!

Biohazard

Smug Mai
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Wiktoria, Lycoris
Time Zone
UTC+2
I'm in!

Foolhard

Bulwark of the Weak
AKA
Starcrossed, Dally, BloodClaw
Time Zone
EST (UTC -5:00)
Switch FC
SW-4046-4239-6610
haha yes okay
i'll join

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
Been a while since I've actually tried Mafia, although given I've been playing Werewolf (the card game) I think I'll throw my hat into the ring.

Count me in.

Mystical

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Cult Classic
I have a question. If a cult leader and mason recruit the same person, which action has priority?

Also, I'll be a reserve.

Felly

beating this world
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
I'm in dis.

~Kilza~

Contemplation
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
Put me down for observer.

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Time Zone
GMT
Put me in coach!

I'm pretty newbie when it comes to this game, but still looking forward to playing.

Also if you're a power role, and you get recruited into the cult, what happens to your role action? Can you still use it or is it null and void as part of the cult?

Last edited:

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
I'm not having observers for this game. You either play, sign up as a reserve, or just follow the game.

Also if you're a power role, and you get recruited into the cult, what happens to your role action? Can you still use it or is it null and void as part of the cult?
Yep, you still have your night action if you join the cult.

~Kilza~

Contemplation
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
I'm not having observers for this game. You either play, sign up as a reserve, or just follow the game.
Can I ask why? Because I see no good reason why there shouldn't be observers in any mafia game and I don't think you nor Regine gave a good reason in Discord this afternoon.

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
Can I ask why? Because I see no good reason why there shouldn't be observers in any mafia game and I don't think you nor Regine gave a good reason in Discord this afternoon.
Have you ever heard of TVs blacking out a local sports game when the seats aren't filled up? That's kind of what I'm thinking here. I really want people to participate and having the observer role be open and suck up potential players is pretty bad when I still want quite a few more people to play.

Mystical

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Cult Classic
By the way I can play if you need more peeps and the spots don't fill up.
edit: nevermind.

Last edited:

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
I really don't want to do this game with only 8 players. I feel it wouldn't be a quality game due to it being MYLO Day 2. So I am going to do one of two things if I don't get enough people. Either I will just shut down the game entirely or I will likely just transform it into a standard mafia game. I'll make a poll so you guys can vote.

Last edited:

Moonwatcher

Ring ring ring, Lily desu!
AKA
Shruikan, Moon, ScrollWyrm
Time Zone
BST
I'll give it a shot. Having the Cult in place of Mafia looks pretty interesting. (Assuming this actually happens.)

Typhlosion

The Perfect Ruler
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Horribly late but I will join! Been a while since I've done Mafia, so I'll vote for turning it into a standard game, at least.

Vivid Stardust

~ Like Stars In The Sky ~
AKA
Vivid, Apollo
I hope it’s not too late for me to join! Count me in! It’ll be a bit harder for me to keep up this time since I’ve got school to worry about, but I still want to play!