Knocking on Heaven's Gate - A Mafia-Less Mafia Game - OVER - Cult Wins

What should I do with this game if we don't get any more people?

• Shut It Down

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Transform It Into Standard

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I Don't Care

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BasedJarrod

The Ruler of Space and Time
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
How about people just don’t be like “Hey how come you didn’t read post XYZ in 20 seconds and go into a detailed/elaborate post and immediately sus them out?”

Rainbow Rocket Grunt

Team Rocket Grunt
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Aimee, Lulu, LuluRina, Rina, ALL HAIL GIOVANNI!
Time Zone
GMT+11
IGN
Lulu
How about people just don’t be like “Hey how come you didn’t read post XYZ in 20 seconds and go into a detailed/elaborate post and immediately sus them out?”
Agreed

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
Yeah, in my experience playing in-person games pressuring folks over the silly things (such as laughing at an accidental pattern when you get the same role twice in a row) is half the fun. Sure it stinks being pressured, but if we're being honest someone was bound to point it out (especially if one of the folks you're playing with tends to be the pedantic sort). I still prefer in-person to this, for the simple reason of play going much faster when you're dealing with a card game. Besides, deception games always become more fun (and chaotic) when you throw booze into the mix.

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Time Zone
GMT
Well I got back home yesterday and now that I've had some rest, I figured I'd post my thoughts from the game. I had fun. It's a bit crap that I had to miss out on the badge, but oh well. Can't miss that which you never had (or didn't even know was coming) I suppose. Holiday with friends comes first (and I legitimately didn't think this game would go on for as long as it did, maybe if the days and nights weren't so long initially I may have made it in time).

I feel like I learned quite a lot this game. I need to up my day play, for a start. I think I did "enough" this time but I most likely won't survive for long in the next game if I stick to the same style. Hadn't played in a number of years and even then this was only my third game or something, so it took me a while to shake the rust off and get out the polish, but it was good nonetheless. Unsure if it was a blessing or a curse that I hit the Serial Killer straight away on N1. Vivid seemed like a good contender for a recruit without being too high-profile, which is what I was aiming for since all eyes were on the super helpful types (who would most certainly have been targets for other night actions). On one hand it was a bit poo that I didn't get the recruit train rolling sooner, but on the other hand it made me immediately twig that they were possibly the SK (and was seemingly vindicated as the game progressed), so it was nice to have that information and choose how best to play around them moving forward. Also what dumb luck that Godot managed to save himself the same night Vivid wanted to blast him, haha.

The second night I felt like it was time for a little more risky of a play. A_T seemed to have given off such a strong read from everyone that he was Town, and I was confident that he would have what it took to keep up the persona moving forward. I knew we wouldn't have opportunity to discuss strategy until the following evening, so I needed a strong recruit. I knew he'd not let me off the hook easily and I trusted him to grill me the next day, something I wasn't sure if I could be able to count on others to do, which would of course incriminate us both. I was thinking about recruiting Felly on N2, but at the time some people were a bit wary of her, which swung recruit potential in A_T's favour. In these early nights I figured that TPRs wouldn't keep funnelling the same actions on the same couple of people without good reason, so given how high profile A_T was at first I figured he'd get actions towards him N1 and then perhaps they'd cool off about on N2, leaving an opening for me. During D3 I was honestly worried about getting lynched, I'd been too passive so far and it felt like it may have been coming down around on my head. I think me abstaining from the Foolhard bandwagon vote helped carry me a bit to this stage, but it was clear I had to do more. I was getting ready to, in the event of my lynch, suddenly call out my failed recruit on N1, so that if I was to die, I'd have a good chance of taking Vivid down with me. I figured that the chance of Cult winning with me dead was pretty much zero, so in that scenario a spite play was the only play, in my eyes. But thankfully, that was averted. Just. I tried my best to play dumb and pretend to be a standard Citizen who was having trouble finding my feet.

Then I had to hand it over to Res. Kinda wanted him to post more, but I was nevertheless enjoying reading the thread during the brief moments I had the time to catch up. I guess by then the Town had ****ed themselves into the corner that it was almost impossible for them to catch back up without some very lucky SK-Town team-ups. I was laughing the entire time as I watched you all lynch yourselves. Not in a mean way, but I'm the villainous mastermind so of course I had to revel in the chaos!

I don't think I played all that well, but I still had fun and this was a learning experience. That being said I do not appreciate the elitism/condescension that went off post-game. If you set up a game then you do so with the knowledge that it can go in any direction, as each are its own self-contained bubble where anything can happen. Much like with D&D, I can set the scenario but then it's up to the players to determine the outcome themselves. There is absolutely no point to ***** about the outcome or the way it was handled when the players are having fun, which is the point of these games. This time we had a few new or rusty players, it's bound to not be played perfectly and anybody would be a fool to think that any of these games ought to be played to such a standard, either. Either lighten up a bit, or stop hosting.

But anyway, good game, everyone. Unsure if I'll sign up to the next one, depends on irl and whatnot, which I'll for sure pay better attention to next time before my enthusiasm to rush to sign overrides my organisation.