Koré and Azure's X&Y Monotype Adventure!

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Hello, everyone! Solar and I have decided to do a dual Monotype Run of Pokémon X! For the challenge, she has decided to go a Water Monotype as Azure, and I've decided to go through with a Grass Monotype with Koré (Huasaian for Green)!

As for rules, we're just keeping it simple: We can only use Pokémon of our selected type, with HM pals used when needed.

So, without further ado, welcome to our Monotype Adventure!

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
I'll start with Koré's adventures getting the bug badge.

We started the game, and I pick Chespin, and named Him NutButt
There isn't much to really talk about, save for one trainer.
One non battle thing to note, though, is that I actually caught an Azurill, and Solar caught a female Burmy, so we traded them to each other. So she now has Boing to Azurill, and I have Darlene the Burmy.
As for exciting battles, there was one very VERY special battle I had with the Rising Star with a Riolu.
See...Burmy's movepool is absolutely terrible, and it only has Protect until level 10 when it learns Tackle. So I went in with my Chespin and Burmy. I had Chespin use Vine Whip, which did about half the RIolu's health. Hooray!
RIolu used Counter. BOOOO!
So...Chespin fainted, and I was left with Burmy who only knew Protect.
So after using up all 10 Protects, I Struggled, and actually took out the Riolu! But....the recoil took out my Burmy. Hooray for an early game white out! *throws confetti!*

Luckily, Viola wasn't nearly as bad. I Leech Seeded Surskit and took it out, then just used 2 Roll Outs on Vivillon, and the Bug Badge was mine!
1 down, 7 to go!

Wait...Burmy can't learn Infestation? Aw man.

NutButt the Quilladin.
Level 16
Modest Nature
Ability: Overgrow
Moves
-Leech Seed
-Bite
-Vine Whip
-Rollout

Darlene the Burmy
Level 13
Mild Nature
Ability: Shed Skin
Moves:
-Protect
-Tackle

Last edited:

Solar

Loog Noog Supreme
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Here's Azure!!

I started off with Froakie. The thing is, Greninja is probably my least favorite Pokémon of all time, so I'm using it in an attempt to find something to love about it. Maybe if I develop a bond with this little frog I'll grow to like it? His name is Cookie because IT'S NOT AN ORANGE!!!!

I ended up adding my second team member, Azurill, to my team after me and Gokey did our little switch-a-roo trade (read his part for that!) My Azuril's name is Boing. I can't have my trainer name be Azure and not use the Azurill line! That's just wrong!!

Viola wasn't too tough for me, but I mostly had to use Cookie, because Boing's only offensive move is Water, which isn't good against Surskit. So Cookie took care of both of Viola's Pokémon and we were in business.

I'm super excited about this challenge!!

:froakie: Cookie Lvl. 15
Water Pulse
Lick
Quick Attack
Pound

:azurill: Boing Lvl. 13
Bubblebeam
Charm
Water Spout
Tail Whip

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
Account Disabled
Monotype runs can be easy or challenging depending on the type and game. Good luck. Both of you have a great start. I'm sure there will be leaders who will give problems.

Water: Clement and Ramos (back to back in fact)
Grass: Walfric (Viola two, but you got through fine, Gokudera)

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
So I'm a little behind on the start of this but I did Grass on Y earlier in the year for Azurilland Plays and it could get pretty interesting. Water on the other hand maybe not quite as much. I like this idea! And you'll be able to get Budew up ahead which will be a help even if walking to get happiness up will suck. x_x

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Monotype runs can be easy or challenging depending on the type and game. Good luck. Both of you have a great start. I'm sure there will be leaders who will give problems.

Water: Clement and Ramos (back to back in fact)
Grass: Walfric (Viola two, but you got through fine, Gokudera)
Rollout was my savior against Viola. I'm not sure how well I would have done without it.
Oh, and wild Furfrou have amazing movesets.
-Growl
-Baby-Doll Eyes
-Headbutt
-Sand Attack.
YOU'LL NEVER HAVE A NORMAL ATTACK STAT MWUHAHAHA!
So I'm a little behind on the start of this but I did Grass on Y earlier in the year for Azurilland Plays and it could get pretty interesting. Water on the other hand maybe not quite as much. I like this idea! And you'll be able to get Budew up ahead which will be a help even if walking to get happiness up will suck. x_x
I've been looking it up, and it seems I can get Roselia, which I think will be better in the long run, especially since most of our sessions will likely be during the night.

Solar

Loog Noog Supreme
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Bit of progress! Stay tuned for Gokey's update.

After the gym I decided it was time to add a team member, and for this one I decided to trade one over. You may judge me, but I am going to use a Luvdisc. Because I can. Her name is Feesh :luvdisc:

Lumiose City was fun, I got a lil' haircut and a Squirtle that I don't think I'm gonna use. Professor Sycamore wasn't too tough because Cookie the Froakie evolved into a Frogadier!

Then Parfum Palace (: I hate Parfum Palace it is very silly. But the most intense thing in this area was the Furfrou couple. They're harder than most Gym Leaders in this game. The battle was tough, but Feesh and Cookie managed to take them down with a mix of Charm and Water Pulse. Excellent team work!

Right now we're saved against Snorlax...we'll see how that goes next time!

EDIT: Kicked his butt lol

:frogadier: Cookie Lvl. 21
Return
Lick
Water Pulse
Smokescreen

:azurill: Boing Lvl. 20
Bubblebeam
Charm
Water Spout
Return

:luvdisc: Feesh Lvl. 20
Charm
Water Gun
Agility
Take Down

Last edited:

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Update time, let's go.
I got a hair cut and color at Lumiouse, bought a hat, and got a Bulbasaur that I named Goldbloom, because life uhh....uhh...finds a way.
On the way to Camphrier Town, I caught a Skiddo that I named Nell, because that's Dudley Do-Right's girlfriend. Well...ok not girlfriend, since Mounties always catch their man, but not always their girl.

Then on Route 7, I caught an Oddish I named Hula, as I'm going to eventually evolve it into Bellosom. I actually caught 2 Oddish, but I really REALLY don't want a Jolly one, so I'm using my second Hula instead.

I then went into the Parfum Palace, but not before taking on the Furfrous. Luckily, I have Goldbloom has Poison Powder and Leech Seed, and Nutbutt has Leech Seed. So it was just a slow stall match that I eventually won.
Then I found the Furfrou and watched some boring fireworks and was not reimbursed for my wasted $1000. Cheap jack ass.

When I was done with that boring place, I took down Snorlax.
Not a ton of progress, but a good amount to tide over until the 2nd badge

NutButt the Quilladin Level 21
Leech Seed
Hone Claws
Vine Whip
Rollout

Darlene the Wormadam Level 21
Venoshock
Infestation
Bug Bite
Hidden Power (Psychic)

Goldbloom the Ivysaur Level 19
Poison Powder
Venoshock
Leech Seed
Vine Whip

Nell the Skiddo Level 14
Leech Seed
Growth
Vine Whip
Razor Leaf

Hula the Oddish Level 10
Absord
Sweet Scent
Acid

Resolute

Paradiddlediddler
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
@Solar I'm surprised you passed up Squirtle for Luvdisc. I totally want to see you use Luvdisc, though...ironically, I don't think it gets enough love.

@Gokudera I can personally vouch for Vileplume, it should make an awesome addition to your team! Good luck with Karina, though. That Lucario resists most of your team and could really be a problem if you aren't careful.

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Sorry for the super long delay, everyone!
Solar isn't going to keep this challenge up, but I decided I want to keep Koré's adventure going.

Not a whole lot of note happened before fighting Grant, but I DID fight the world's luckiest Psyduck.
I kept Goldbloom in against it, hoping to take it out with Razor Leaf.
The first one missed. Ok, that's...stupid, but it does have 95% accuracy, so it can happen.
Psyduck used Confusion. Got the Confusion first turn. Ok, that's fine.
Goldbloom hit itself in confusion
HIt itself again...Ok, now I'm getting miffed.
Psyduck used Confusion! Critical Hit! Goldbloom is at 4 HP. Ok, now I'm saying words that would appear as asterisks here.
I heal, and finally snap out of confusion and take that stupid duck out.
I don't know why, but I'm suddenly in the mood for Duck Hunt.

In non Haxy bull crap related news, I caught a Ferroseed and named her Barbara because Chuggaa has rubbed off on me. I might use it, even if it evolves at level 40.
I'm likely going to wait until Route 15 and catch a Lombre so I can have somewhat of an answer to Fire types. Man I wish that line had a better natural moveset.

Grant was decently tough, mostly because Amaura has Refrigerate, which I will admit I totally forgot about. I'm very glad I brought Barbara, though. even 10 levels lower, Metal Claw did more than 50%. Take Down+Recoil+Iron Barbs took care of the rest.
Tyrunt was troublesome, but NutButt's Leech Seed eventually took it out.

And with that, Koré obtained the Cliff Badge...finally.

NutButt the Quidladin Level 24
Leech Seed
Hone Claws
Vine Whip
Rock Tomb

Goldbloom the Ivysaur Level 23
Holding a Poison Barb
Poison Powder
Venoshock
Leech Seed
Razor Leaf

Nell the Skiddo Level 16