VGC Battle Spot Let Me Build You A Rental Team! [Group Teambuilding]

Gigarchomp

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
IST (GMT+5:30)
IGN
Gargee
Hey Anthrix! Would it be possible to build a team around a GMax Lapras? I used to use one a lot during Season 6 when there were no Legendaries and those few overused Pokemon were banned, but in today's Double my old team is not viable at all, so I want a new one but I'd still love to keep the Lapras!

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix
OK cool. I've got 3 Lapras, will check in the morning and give you some ideas lol. But generally she likes either Tail Room to get round her low Speed , Weakness Policy & Comfey / Volt Switch, or something like Follow Me / Rage Powder. Definitely got some options there!

Pick something like 3-4 Pokémon, and I'll fill in the rest :)

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix
Ok so I've checked my Lapras, they are two Life Orb variants. I can probably get a Weakness Policy or Light Clay ones, as well (I've got a perfect one still to be trained up in my boxes :D).

Lapras-Gmax @ Life Orb
Ability: Shell Armor
Level: 50
EVs: 108 HP / 68 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Lapras-Gmax @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
Level: 50
EVs: 108 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 12 SpD / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Freeze-Dry
- Protect

Some options for Tail Room:

Trick Room

- Offensive Bronzong
- Specially Defensive Bronzong
- Cofagrigus
- Mesprit
- Whimsicott
- Galarian Articuno
- Porygon2 (event in Cherish Ball too!)
- Mimikyu
- Claydol

Tailwind

- Crobat
- Noivern
- Whimsicott
- Suicune
- Galarian Articuno
- Pelipper

Personally, I'd probably go the faster Lapras, Whimm, Bronzong / Cofagrigus for the self Weakness Policy proc with Body Press, and the ability to stop opposing Trick Room with Imprison.

I've got a couple of Lightning Rod users, in Togedemaru, Alolan Marowak, Rhyperior, Raichu and Seaking. All have their uses, but Marowak & Rhyperior could work with Tail Room a bit better. Togedemaru can weakly Volt Switch to self proc the Weakness Policy, while also being a deterrent for one of its weaknesses and provide some speed control with Nuzzle support. It does draw away Lapras' Thunder(bolt) though!

Let me know what you want :).

Gigarchomp

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
IGN
Gargee
I used to have the Shell Armor Life Orb Lapras with Lightning Rod Raichu with Nuzzle and it used to work very well for a while. But I like the idea of Tail Room with a Whimsicott, I've always wanted to use Whimsicott. Would Mesprit work as well as a Bronzong/Cofagrigus? I'm guessing not. :P

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix
OK so Raichu, Lapras, Whimsicott for sure. They all work well together and will give Lapras a really good starting point.

I really want to see Trick Room on there, but to be honest Raichu and Whimsicott are already great Speed control, so not sure if I'd want to waste a spot adding it in.

I'm thinking of a Fire type to finish your Fire / Water / Grass core, maybe Incineroar? Incine is always good lol. I did consider Blaziken, I mean I could quickly get one but might not work so well with Whimm or Raichu. With Incine you'll have a great pivot and ways to keep Lapras around for longer.

Another option would be Galarian Moltres. It can be protected a bit by Raichu, doesn't have to Dynamax, and could run Weakness Policy with Volt Switch on Raichu to self proc it. Fake Tears would make it really scary too and its middling Speed would be helped by Whimsicott Tailwind. I'd then go with either Assault Vest Metagross or Duraludon to give you a solid Steel type, and then last spot should be a physical attacker as it's a bit thin on that side!

[EDIT] - Or Assault Vest Kartana, or Offensive Trick Room Bronzong could work! Both would be pretty interesting and suitable too!

After that, other Fire types I've got are... Volcarona could be good but those Rock weaknesses are building up. I kinda wish I had a Heatran lol.

Last edited:

Gigarchomp

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
IGN
Gargee
I have a Heatran if you like but its IVs are probably all over the place. Incineroar and Metagross sound good to me because I've always liked them, but I think I'd go with the Trick Room Bronzong since you think Tail Room is pretty important with a Lapras... Now, only one spot left? As for the physical attacker, what typing do you think will go best with the team? (Sorry I'm not being of much help, this is my first time building a team that's not just "Pokémon I like!" :P)

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix
I have a Heatran if you like but its IVs are probably all over the place. Incineroar and Metagross sound good to me because I've always liked them, but I think I'd go with the Trick Room Bronzong since you think Tail Room is pretty important with a Lapras... Now, only one spot left? As for the physical attacker, what typing do you think will go best with the team? (Sorry I'm not being of much help, this is my first time building a team that's not just "Pokémon I like!" :P)
If the attack is really low, I'll take it :) Let me know if you want something for it!

As for rounding out the team, not sure. Will have a little think and get back to you :D.

Gigarchomp

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
IGN
Gargee
According to psypokes' IV calculator, it has 9IVs in Attack! Will that do? In return, could I borrow some Shield Legendaries from you, just to fill my Home Dex?

I'll be thinking about the last slot, too! And thanks for doing this! :)

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix
9 is better than 31 :P.

And sure, I'll message you with what you want to borrow :).