Let's talk about Boss Battles

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Anyone who's played a bideo game has had to fight a boss before. I'm not gonna get wordy on the history and legacy of boss battles in video games right now, but this thread is basically to gush or talk **** about certain bosses in games you've played. I'll be listing a specific topic semi-regularly to keep the discussion alive. So let's start with something fresh in our minds:

What are the best boss battles you've experienced in video games you played in 2019?
Of course, you don't need to follow the topic listed, but giving this a bit of structure might keep discussion alive in the long run rather than everyone posting their favorite bosses and just forgetting about this thread immediately. We'll see what happens tho!!

MY CHOICES

Judgement
Boss: Mitsuru Kuroiwa

fun fact this dude is voiced by MATT MERCER in the english dub so it's really wacky
hearing him play this super serious japanese cop​

No one on this forum is ever going to play this game, but got damn was this a spectacle of a final boss! For those who don't know, Judgement is a spin-off game of the Yakuza series. For those who know me, y'all know I love my Yakuza. In Judgement, you're trying to solve a string of murders the entire game essentially. Once you get near the end, you find out this asshole named Kuroiwa did it. He's a corrupt cop that's always been kinda shady since his introduction so it makes sense. It's this huge government conspiracy thing that's written really well but I ain't gonna get into that ****. The twist wasn't all that surprising but still. This guy had been getting in your way the entire game and even tried to get you arrested for a murder HE himself committed! The game builds him up perfectly to be this utterly despicable dude. You get to fight him two thirds through the game, but that's just a warm up. It keeps you HUNGRY for more. Then at the end, you finally get to go one on one with him with no distractions. You fight him in the hospital where essentially all of this started, so it's pretty symbolic to end the game here. Once you finally begin to fight him, this cool cut scene plays in which you trade hits and do some flips until the dynamic intro that the Yakuza series is known for kicks in.

aw yeah man that's the stuff​

Anyways, the actual battle starts and this dude is no slouch. At this point, unless you neglected to do any of the side stuff, you're all buffed up with your upgrades. You've mastered your two fighting styles that the game has given you. You're ****ING ready. That doesn't even matter though since this mans hits hard and has FOUR health bars. FOUR!!! Up till this point, the most health bars a boss has had in this game was three, so Kuwoira really be getting that final boss treatment. Anyways, there's a difference to this boss compared to other Yakuza final bosses: there is an absence of quick time events. While there is a lot of flashy moments, it is incorporated into the actual fight. That means there is no time in which your victory is dependent on pressing the right button within a timed window. I love that ****. Anyways, you kick this dudes ass eventually and he falls out of a broken window. The day is saved and he is DEAD. Except, it turns out he was hanging on the edge of the windows and climbs right back up. The man takes out a shot and literally INJECTS himself with adrenaline and you see four health bars start to fill up.

oh god oh ****
It's more of the same really except now he has this cool purple aura emitting off him. Yakuza has a fondness for giving bosses auras and **** to let you know it's getting real. After more ebic fighting, you finally beat him and then the epilogue of the story starts rolling. It's really satisfying beating this guy after all the ordeals you've gone through the entire game. He will not be missed, but I will always remember that fight. I cannot wait to see how Ryu Ga Gokuto studios outdoes themselves in the next game.

KINGDOM HEARTS 2
BOSS: XEMNAS

hey sora wanna see me do a cool thing with that building behind us​

Yes, I know KH2 was released over a decade ago, but I only binged the Kingdom Hearts series this year so it counts. And oh man, while Kuroiwa had 8 health bars in total, Xemnas is the definition of an endurance fight. It feels like it took us this long to get here just so he can perfectly set up all this ******** he's about to make us go through. First, you fight him solo with Sora in arguably the most difficult part of the fight for me. I essentially had to spam the only drive I could use to get through it. Anyways, after that and a few cutscenes you fight tje chare.

tje chare​

Anyways, you just wail on it and you're good to go. Easy squeezy peezy jeezy after the first phase. Then you get this ****:

how long u think it took him to make dat
Anyways, Riku and Sora hop on this convenient hover-bike thing that they can somehow perfectly drive and you start to play this little shoot-em-up with this Yugioh card looking ****er. It's actually a cool little segment because you keep alternating between fighting that thing and tje chare. However, all of that was just a distraction so Xemnas could change into his new outfit.

he do be lookin kinda fresh tho​
Xemnas comes at you like
and you finally get to finish this off and fight side by side with your life partner. It's a pretty nice final phase as you get to use most of the skills you've learned up to this point. It's really cool having Riku be your back-up. Once you finish this fight, you get a cool little laser show, too.

weeeee,,ee

When you think about it logically, this fight falls apart a bit. It makes like no ****ing sense. However, in the moment where your brain is shut off during this mickey mouse video game, it's an amazing finale. I will always remember it fondly.

ANYWAYS THATS ALL FOR NOW SHOW ME YOUR PICKS IM INTERESTED

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
Uhh, let's see.

A lot of the bosses in Xenoblade Chronicles were at the very least solid, although a few had exactly one weakness which you just had to figure out how to exploit by guesswork if you don't like looking them up.

I actually thought the final boss was kinda underwhelming, but boy did it feel great to finally beat him.

This lady, on the other hand, I hope to never see again.

I don't know how many of you have played EBF5, but there's a certain secret boss near the end who probably wins my award of favorite fight in a game.

I may update this list to include more if I think of any.

Flo

Seventh Siren
Time Zone
BST
ok epic
Kingdom Hearts 3: Escurita di Xehanort: Vs Ansem, Seeker of Darkness, Xemnas and Young Xehanort

This fight is it. The culmination of pretty much the whole series. After fighting and defeating all the other Darknesses, only 4 remain, and they'll do all they can to strike you down here and now. The incredible thing about this fight is how accurately the original fights are portrayed in this three-on-three brawl. Riku and Mickey can hold their own, but you will, of course, be doing the heavy lifting here. Each of the three foes plays a different role. Ansem will hand back and attack you with projectiles, only drawing close to use his barrier attack to force you to retreat. Xemnas plays the mid range, using his funky lightsabers to shoot you from afar, ala Kingdom Hearts 2, but will also teleport in to do huge AOE combos. Young Xehanort plays the initiators here, using his powers to stop time around you and set up the other two. Even beyond these three, Master Xehanort will sometimes waggle his fingers and enter the second aspect of this fight, removing Riku and Mickey and leaving you to defend for a minute or so against a barrage of Keyblades shooting down at the arena, as well as the other three foes trying to attack you. This fight tests your quick-thinking, resource management and situational awareness, especially on Critical Mode.

Devil May Cry V: Vs Vergil (Dante and Nero)

Now while the last fight was about challenging multiple strong foes, this is the one-on-one fight. Previously, the best fight in Devil May Cry was the Dante/Vergil fight in DMC3. That has been superseded. This begins with Dante at the most powerful he's ever been, with the Devil Sword Dante, DT, Sin DT and all of his other weapons. Against you though, Vergil is the most powerful he's ever been, and he wants you dead. This is a game of reflexes and skill. I think the true beauty of this fight is how you can approach it in so many different ways. You can fuel Sin Devil Trigger and try and overpower him. You can use Gunslinger to out-range him, using tools like Double Kalina Ann. And, if you're really feeling yourself, you can parry through all of his attacks using Royal Guard. But this is only half the fight.
The real therapeutic end to the story comes when Nero fights Vergil. Using his new Devil Trigger, this is your victory lap. While you'll still have to focus to beat Vergil, especially since you lose access to your Devil Breakers, the new Buster capabilities of your Devil Trigger more than makes up for it. Additionally, the triumphant playing of Nero's second battle theme, Silver Bullet really sells that, at least partially, Nero's story is now over.

Batman: Arkham City: Vs Mr Freeze

Batman: Arkham City has many ways to approach a fight. You can go stealthily, picking off unwary foes and isolate the weak links. You can go full brawling, using your reactions to counter and take down a crowd of goons. You can use Batman's utility belt of gadgets to manipulate the environment, blowing up walls, sending electrical charges, use smoke bombs. Mr Freeze forces you to diversify. Mr Freeze will move around the arena, searching for you. It's your job to deal enough damage to him that he'll stop. The trick is that whenever you use a technique to get the drop on him, he becomes immune to the same trick. Drop from above to attack him, he'll scan all the hidey holes. Break through walls, he'll use heat vision through them. Try and beat him down, he'll electrify his suit. You can get through the majority of Arkham City with only one tactic, not counting the special trials and challenges. Mr Freeze forces you to learn the game, plan your attacks carefully and note your surroundings, Everything is a weapon if you are inventive.

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
ok epic
Kingdom Hearts 3: Escurita di Xehanort: Vs Ansem, Seeker of Darkness, Xemnas and Young Xehanort

This fight is it. The culmination of pretty much the whole series. After fighting and defeating all the other Darknesses, only 4 remain, and they'll do all they can to strike you down here and now. The incredible thing about this fight is how accurately the original fights are portrayed in this three-on-three brawl. Riku and Mickey can hold their own, but you will, of course, be doing the heavy lifting here. Each of the three foes plays a different role. Ansem will hand back and attack you with projectiles, only drawing close to use his barrier attack to force you to retreat. Xemnas plays the mid range, using his funky lightsabers to shoot you from afar, ala Kingdom Hearts 2, but will also teleport in to do huge AOE combos. Young Xehanort plays the initiators here, using his powers to stop time around you and set up the other two. Even beyond these three, Master Xehanort will sometimes waggle his fingers and enter the second aspect of this fight, removing Riku and Mickey and leaving you to defend for a minute or so against a barrage of Keyblades shooting down at the arena, as well as the other three foes trying to attack you. This fight tests your quick-thinking, resource management and situational awareness, especially on Critical Mode.

Devil May Cry V: Vs Vergil (Dante and Nero)

Now while the last fight was about challenging multiple strong foes, this is the one-on-one fight. Previously, the best fight in Devil May Cry was the Dante/Vergil fight in DMC3. That has been superseded. This begins with Dante at the most powerful he's ever been, with the Devil Sword Dante, DT, Sin DT and all of his other weapons. Against you though, Vergil is the most powerful he's ever been, and he wants you dead. This is a game of reflexes and skill. I think the true beauty of this fight is how you can approach it in so many different ways. You can fuel Sin Devil Trigger and try and overpower him. You can use Gunslinger to out-range him, using tools like Double Kalina Ann. And, if you're really feeling yourself, you can parry through all of his attacks using Royal Guard. But this is only half the fight.
The real therapeutic end to the story comes when Nero fights Vergil. Using his new Devil Trigger, this is your victory lap. While you'll still have to focus to beat Vergil, especially since you lose access to your Devil Breakers, the new Buster capabilities of your Devil Trigger more than makes up for it. Additionally, the triumphant playing of Nero's second battle theme, Silver Bullet really sells that, at least partially, Nero's story is now over.

Batman: Arkham City: Vs Mr Freeze

Batman: Arkham City has many ways to approach a fight. You can go stealthily, picking off unwary foes and isolate the weak links. You can go full brawling, using your reactions to counter and take down a crowd of goons. You can use Batman's utility belt of gadgets to manipulate the environment, blowing up walls, sending electrical charges, use smoke bombs. Mr Freeze forces you to diversify. Mr Freeze will move around the arena, searching for you. It's your job to deal enough damage to him that he'll stop. The trick is that whenever you use a technique to get the drop on him, he becomes immune to the same trick. Drop from above to attack him, he'll scan all the hidey holes. Break through walls, he'll use heat vision through them. Try and beat him down, he'll electrify his suit. You can get through the majority of Arkham City with only one tactic, not counting the special trials and challenges. Mr Freeze forces you to learn the game, plan your attacks carefully and note your surroundings, Everything is a weapon if you are inventive.
HOW COULD I FORGET VERGIL AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Technically released this year...
Resident Evil 4 has, as of right now, been ported to 12 different devices, including iOS (not available anymore) and the Zeebo, which released in Brazil, and had RE4 and...that's about it.
RE4 is a fantastically campy horror game combining some cheesy dialogue, including this gem, with some truly terrifying monsters.
But the best part of the game is the crazy, creepy, and sometimes disgusting boss battles. There's the Village Chief, who turns into a giant catapiller thing, Salazar, who gets eaten by a tentacle monster,and even the normal enemies like the Regenerators and Iron Maidens.
zbut my favorite boss fight is the first one with the Garrador.
In a small room in Salazar's castle, you see a giant of a beast in a locked jail cell. In that cell is the lever that stops fire breathing statues that prevent your progress. You kick down the door and walk in the cell. The camera zooms on the unmoving creature, to show that it's eyes are stapled shut, rendering it blind. When you pull the lever, the beast, known as the Garrador, grunts, and reveals it's giant claws that make Zhang He sad.
Now you have to navigate the small room, and use the bells, your footsteps, or a different method to trick the blind monster into revealing it's backside, so you can shoot its Plagas parasite.
I love the way this fight is introduced. The room has a pillar you can walk around to trick the Garrador, and huge bells you can knife. You can see all of this before the Garrador wakes up, giving you time to figure out a strategy to beat him. But there's one trick I love using the most.
At this point, Ashley is still with you. If you make her wait outside the door, you can use the "Wait/Follow me" commands to your advantage, since they are sounds in the game. When the battle starts, walk toward the staircase (since running will make sounds slicey boio can hear). If you get close to the door, it'll close. Then you can keep using the "Wait/Follow me" command to safely trick the Gerrador into literally blindly swinging.
This is a great boss fight that lets you fight the Garrador in pretty much any way you want, and most ways are rewarded. Plus, you get to meet this charming fellow who just wants a hug.