• Smash Camp 2020

Smash Camp, an event that has run for twelve years, has started once again! Everyone who joins is separated into one of four cabins where you'll compete to earn points through various activities, such as flash games, tournaments, and other events. At the end of camp, the totals will be finalized, and the cabin with the most total points wins. It's an awesome way to have fun with your friends while meeting new people in the process, and is open to anyone, not just members of the Marriland Forums!

Pre-Camp has officially started, with Camp itself beginning on Monday. It will be taking place exclusively on the Smash Camp Discord, which you may join by clicking here. If you have any questions, feel free to join the server and ask - we hope to see you there!

Discussion Let's talk about Graphics Tablets

Do you have a Graphics Tablet?

• Total voters

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
henlo guys!
i've noticed a lot of people on Marriland make fantastic digital art, so i was wondering which graphics tablets you use ^^ are you happy with your tablet? if not, or if you don't have a tablet at all, is there a graphics tablet you want to get in the future? What features are necessary for you? Feel free to discuss anything about drawing tablets here!!

I've never used a tablet myself, but i'm very interested in digital art, so i'd love to purchase one in the future. One thing i'm concerned about is whether i'd be able to draw on the tablet while looking forward at the screen, since display tablets are usually way too expensive from what i've seen ;o; Has anyone had a problem like that?

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
I use a Wacom One tablet and it is the best purchase that I've made in my life tbh. Drawing with a tablet on a computer is so way easier than drawing with a mouse and it's more comfortable imo.

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
My first tablet was a small Wacom intuos, and it's still amazing but I don't use it anymore. I definitely had the concert about drawing on the tablet while looking forward, but I forgot about that immediately when I first used it. It actually feels extremely natural to draw that way, even if it seems tough in theory. Highly recommend this tablet as your first, because it's very cheap and easy to use.

My college has these gigantic 24HD Wacom Cintiq's available for us, and they're certainly impressive and intriguing to use. Very overwhelming though, but I'll get used to it eventually.

I originally bought my Surface Book 2 with the intent that I can draw with it. I can definitely do that, but it's not the best. The touch screen can be a little funky at time, and the surface pen is average, it doesn't feel natural and doesn't have tilt support. However, I still do use it sometimes because Clip Studio paint is an incredible painting software, and I can only use it on my laptop.

It's not a tablet, but right now I'm using the 12'' iPad Pro with the Apple pencil to do all of my digital art. I absolutely love this thing so much. The small, portable, and touch interface works extremely well for me. It feels like a Cintiq, but more portable, convenient and waaay simpler to use. If you put a matte screen protector on the tablet, and a pencil grip on the apple pencil, it's literally the closest feeling to traditional drawing possible, with all the digital art benefits and capabilities. Procreate is an amazing program as well. This product is one of the only good things Apple has come out with tbh, such a gem. I really couldn't live without this thing in my life.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
My first tablet was a small Wacom intuos, and it's still amazing but I don't use it anymore. I definitely had the concert about drawing on the tablet while looking forward, but I forgot about that immediately when I first used it. It actually feels extremely natural to draw that way, even if it seems tough in theory. Highly recommend this tablet as your first, because it's very cheap and easy to use.
i've been toying with the idea of saving up for a Wacom Intuos Medium, it's really tempting!! >.< i've just seen people complain about it not having the multi-touch and tilt support features, but i really don't know whether that would bother me personally since i've never tried drawing with a tablet anyways :thonkazurill:

the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil is something i've seen so many illustrators love, seems like it's the best option at the moment for a device that can make professional work
at a relatively reasonable price (compared to Cintiq's and considering it's pretty much a computer).

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
I own a Wacom Intuos Draw. It’s easy to use, and it serves my purposes (smudging) well. Definitely worth the money.

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
i've been toying with the idea of saving up for a Wacom Intuos Medium, it's really tempting!! >.< i've just seen people complain about it not having the multi-touch and tilt support features, but i really don't know whether that would bother me personally since i've never tried drawing with a tablet anyways :thonkazurill:
If you're unsure, just get a Wacom Intuos Draw that's like, $70. Keep in mind that the people complaining about more advanced features are usually experienced and knowledgeable about graphic tablets and digital art. They've practiced with graphic tablets and digital art for a while and they understand what they need and what works for them. A graphics tablet is no different to any other art supply, there are cheaper and simpler tablets for the beginner, and then there are more expensive and more elaborate graphic tablets for the advanced artists. Trust me, whatever fancy features people are saying the cheap tablets are lacking shouldn't concern you at all, because I can guarantee it won't bother you if you're just starting out. Don't worry too much about the reviews, cheaper tablets are obviously going to be torn apart by people who know what they're doing, but it's always best to start simple. The only feature you absolutely need is pen pressure, which is a given with any wacom.

The iPad pro is a huge investment, which was worth it to me because it works as a lighter alternative when I don't want to carry my laptop, can be used as my notebook, sketchbook and drawing tablet all in one. However, if you already have a laptop and don't need another expensive digital system, I can highly recommend the 9.7 inch iPad 2018. It's incredibly cheap, and it works with the apple pencil! It's about the same price as a Wacom intuos pro. It has all those features, and is essentially like a small cintiq. I'd recommend this smaller iPad far more if you only want it for drawing.

Last edited:

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
If you're unsure, just get a Wacom Intuos Draw that's like, $70. Keep in mind that the people complaining about more advanced features are usually experienced and knowledgeable about graphic tablets and digital art. They've practiced with graphic tablets and digital art for a while and they understand what they need and what works for them. A graphics tablet is no different to any other art supply, there are cheaper and simpler tablets for the beginner, and then there are more expensive and more elaborate graphic tablets for the advanced artists. Trust me, whatever fancy features people are saying the cheap tablets are lacking shouldn't concern you at all, because I can guarantee it won't bother you if you're just starting out. Don't worry too much about the reviews, cheaper tablets are obviously going to be torn apart by people who know what they're doing, but it's always best to start simple. The only feature you absolutely need is pen pressure, which is a given with any wacom.

The iPad pro is a huge investment, which was worth it to me because it works as a lighter alternative when I don't want to carry my laptop, can be used as my notebook, sketchbook and drawing tablet all in one. However, if you already have a laptop and don't need another expensive digital system, I can highly recommend the 9.7 inch iPad 2018. It incredibly cheap, and it works with the apple pencil! It's about the same price as a Wacom intuos pro. It has all those features, and is essentially like a small cintiq. I'd recommend this smaller iPad far more if you only want it for drawing.
thank you, Michelle, this helps a lot! i was honestly getting super confused with all the discouraging reviews, but i think in the end you're right, it's better to start with something that will get the job done so i can learn how to do digital art and see what else i need once i get better at it!

i love talking about art and art supplies asdfgjvsdvhajd

and yeah i'll keep that recommendation in mind for later if i want to upgrade, sounds like a great idea!!

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
thank you, Michelle, this helps a lot! i was honestly getting super confused with all the discouraging reviews, but i think in the end you're right, it's better to start with something that will get the job done so i can learn how to do digital art and see what else i need once i get better at it!

i love talking about art and art supplies asdfgjvsdvhajd

and yeah i'll keep that recommendation in mind for later if i want to upgrade, sounds like a great idea!!
When I got my first tablet, the only feature that I knew existed was pen pressure, ahaha. It's pretty much the only thing that really matters, everything else is just for convenience for artists who need work done quickly.

And can relate, absolutely love talking about art supplies!!

gylfie

you shouldn't have listened
My first tablet was my Wacom bamboo splash. I still use it and it works very well! I’ve never had a tablet with the buttons like the intuos ones and I can tell you that you can get by just fine without them. You just learn the hotkeys in your program to improve your workflow.

I also own a cintiq 18sx, bought it about 3 years ago used. it’s pretty cool to be able to draw directly on the screen but I’ve had a few issues with it.

I’ve had trouble getting it to display colours properly and fiddled around with the settings for a while. I might’ve found a decent balance but then again I haven’t checked recently. I dont work with a lot of colours and use it as a second monitor a lot of the time.

My cintiq was a very expensive brick for a while because I made the mistake of updating my mac to mojave. Eventually I rolled back to the old OS I was using and it works again. Lesson learned. Wacom doesn’t give a **** about updating older drivers. Also if you’re using an older Wacom product a lot of the time you have to play around with the settings and do a lot of google searching for help on old tech forums in order to figure out the trick that will get the tablet to work. If you have a new Mac, just get a new tablet.

I’ve heard and seen a lot of good things from people using iPads and apple pencils with software like procreate. I’ve only ever used my iPad with medibang or autodesk and my finger unfortunately. Never got a pressure sensitive pen for it.
(Got a touchscreen pen for Christmas years ago but it wasn’t one that connected with Bluetooth or anything so there was no pen pressure or tilt whatsoever,,so I never used it,,,)

At school we use 21ux and 22hd cintiqs iirc. They’re pretty nice and have a gloriously large screen. I’ve only drawn on them a few times (our cintiq work so far has been 3D animation for the most part) but it’s been really fun to use.

A lot of my classmates own the less expensive huion display tablets and those seem to work well. They’re actually portable despite their size and look fairly easy to set up.

Drawing on a tablet and looking at the computer screen is pretty easy to get used to but if you’re looking for tablet you can draw directly on that’s cheaper than a cintiq, huion seems to be a pretty good option.

Last edited: