Wedlocke Liberty or Death -- Typhlosion's Platinum Wedlocke

Crobad

Beginner Trainer
Well done. I thought you would go with New york and Pennsylvania as ice fang is always just too big a risk. Shame you lost them both just goes to prood having 3 grass moves can still end in disaster. Be interesting to see who comes in as the new pair. Mabye Carolina and Louisiana.

Qotd-In terms of update size. I think it is perfect and it is really easy to follow. Keep going with what you are doing. Dont worry about updates cause otherthings come first.

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Wacan Berry Natural Gift was such a clever idea! It's too bad Bronzong's Attack didn't quite suffice, although that may have had to do with Gyarados having Intimidate as well?

Losing another pair sucks ngl. Platinum is not an easy game to do a challenge run on and it shows. Still, you're making progress though! And with two evolutions coming right up, seems there's enough to look forward to.

Late, but as for the previous QOTD: I'm liking the update length as well!

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Gokudera Now every time I fight a Clefairy I'm scared out of my wits, hah! Losing something to Metronome would be even more infuriating than Horn Drill.
@Crobad Yeah, Ice Fang is exactly what I was afraid of. I knew I could handle either Gyarados or Floatzel, but not both at once.
@Calaf Thank you for bringing it to my attention that Natural Gift is a physical move. For some reason I had assumed it was special and I never bothered to check. Not sure it would have made any difference in the long run but it's nice to know.

For the second time on this mission, I find myself having to broker an entirely new alliance from scratch. There's no denying I have some good candidates from which to choose, but my decision is based on the desire for three main qualities: access to Surf, access to Fly, and access to Electric coverage. The only one of those which is strictly necessary is the first, and it eliminates several well-qualified candidates from the running. It doesn't help that certain groups of states demand to be allied only with certain other groups. At last, California the male Shellos :shellos: and Alabama the female Magikarp :magikarp: strike a bargain. Though they're both pure Water-types, they won't share any weaknesses between them once they earn promotions.

Some field experience will be in order before the said promotions arrive, so Alabama :magikarp: is equipped with the Exp. Share and I hasten to support Alex and Governor Wake against the bluecoat saboteur. The foul rascal sets off an explosion! While Wake surveys the damage and Alex guards the area, it's my duty to chase down the rapscallion as he flees. He leads me on a merry dance back towards Lake Valor, but my old bones run him down eventually and he turns to fight. It isn't much of a fight, though--Oklahoma :torterra: demolishes his puny Croagunk with Earthquake.

He retreats in a hurry, and who should appear but Aaron Burr? The well-connected politician provides me with an order to deliver to the Marylanders striking on Route 210 which should cause them to disperse. That will allow me to proceed on my way...once I'm ready to do so. For now, I retrace my steps to places I've already visited, rematching various civilians. It isn't long before Alabama :magikarp: earns that promotion into Gyarados! Back in Pastoria City I trade a heart-shaped jewel to acquire a document on the Thrash technique for her. Now she's able to pass on the Exp. Share and take responsibility for :shellos: California's training.

With a couple more levels under his belt, California :shellos: can begin to function on his own. He may be small, but he's a fighter, as evidenced by his unlocked hidden power turning out to be Fighting-type. Comparing it with Mud Bomb, it looks to have pretty decent power, too. Might be worth keeping around. One dark cloud in the sky is that both of these allies have Defense-negative Natures. Even with Intimidate support, I fear they may struggle at times to withstand big hits.

The grinding continues slowly but surely. I'm very happy when California reaches Level 30 and is promoted into Gastrodon because it should mean I have much less to fear from Electric-types. I say that, even though I had one terrifying experience in a rematch against a Level 30 Luxio. Due to flinching from Bite, terrible Swagger luck, and his own abysmal Defense (seriously, it's so bad), California :gastrodon: is reduced to less than a quarter of his health. The Water/Flying type Alabama :gyarados: is forced to rescue her Ground-type ally from an Electric-type. She tanks a Spark thanks to Intimidate and seals the deal with two Bites.

By this point, the Yellowstone Hotel is a good place to grind. Yes, two-on-two debates have a good deal of inherent risk, but the level advantage is mine and it's easier to grow stronger against opposing soldiers rather than undisciplined civilians. California :gastrodon: and Alabama :gyarados: are Level 33 by now when in one such battle, they find themselves matched against a total of 4 enemy delegates. I make a mistake by ordering Thrash too soon in the fight, but I can't predict what comes next. It's down to two-on-one in my favor and Alabama has already shrugged off two Machoke Seismic Tosses easily, when she suffers a critical blow from a Bronzor's Extrasensory. Enraged, she goes totally off-script and commits THREE logical fallacies in a row...taking herself completely out of the debate.

Lost Alabama the Gyarados :gyarados:

If I might break character for a moment, I have tried to raise a Gyarados in all three of my challenges. Sodium was quite successful, making it all the way to the Pokémon League, and Hela didn't even make it past the Magikarp stage, but none of these three individuals have ultimately survived. Why do I keep losing this Pokémon? Why, in this challenge, have I lost three distinct individuals who were female and had Intimidate? So much invested time and future potential wasted. It's maddening. Goodbye, Alabama...I'm sorry. I sent you to your doom.

Georgia :beautifly: is forced to appear and save the day with Bug Bite. Good thing--California is quite low on health himself, and suffering from Confuse Ray. With his terrible luck he very well could have died too. Combined, the female and genderless reservists number only 4, and among them, the modest Louisiana :roselia: stands out as the best choice for completing my coalition. The disappointing news is that she's only Level 23, but her Magical Leaf is nothing to sneeze at.

Louisiana :roselia: gains levels much more quickly than I expected, so it isn't very long at all before she and her partner are Level 36--still not quite up to par with the others, but hopefully good enough to progress. Her stats aren't great, but until I can find a Shiny Stone I'll just have to accept it. So, with my team finally rebuilt to my satisfaction, I return to the junction of Routes 210 and 215. I deliver Aaron Burr's cease-and-desist letter to the protestors and sure enough, they scatter. Before I can take another step, Burr himself strolls up. If he was going to be here in person anyway, why couldn't he have done this himself? And what's this? Now he expects me to transport a family heirloom safely to Celestic Town for him. What am I, an errand boy?

Disgruntled, but lacking any better options at the moment, I take the road northward. Soon I get the chance to meet with another delegate! The two halves of Route 210 count separately in my opinion because of their separate encounter lists, and the fact that the second half isn't accessible until much later. As it stands, the first fellow I meet is a sprightly young Level 28 Machop. His being male was expected; most of them are. I've already mentioned that New Hampshire is known for its rocks and quarries, and Machop love to lift rocks as part of their training. That must be where this one picked up the habit.

Recruited New Hampshire the male Machop from Route 210 North!

When the highway turns west, I spy a number of veteran soldiers up ahead, so I take some time off to make sure California :gastrodon: and Louisana :roselia: are just as ready for a challenge as the rest of my party. The first Ace Trainer leads with an Aipom, which shouldn't be trouble...why does it have Aerial Ace?? Louisiana quickly takes a back seat, but California can handle it. Next is a Grotle. This shouldn't be a problem in theory, but Louisiana has no Poison-type moves. This is unbelievable. I order Giga Drain, fearing the worst, but Grotle takes the attack quite poorly. Two more are enough to finish it, and a Girafarig last is no trouble.

My heart is pounding as I sneak past a pair of hotshots circling as partners. I don't know what they have but I'm quite sure it would be nasty. At the top of the hill is another Ace. He leads with a Floridian of his own, but California takes the Wing Attacks excellently, and then a Probopass and Luxio are no issue either. These two new delegates have been pulling their weight like champions recently.

A retired general appears to be the last obstacle on this road. Oklahoma :torterra: won't do well against his first bodyguard, a Tangela, so Georgia :beautifly: swaps in and gets hit by Toxic. Why does it have Toxic? Everybody around here has such strange customs. I'm mildly surprised when Tangela survives Bug Bite...WHY DOES IT HAVE ANCIENTPOWER?? NO NO GEORGIA NO--SHE LIVES! The poison takes its toll--5 HP. It...it has to be Oklahoma. The rugged soldier uses Bite for the KO and next is a New Mexican. What evil prank is this...Flame Wheel should be fine, but I pray it doesn't have Fire Blast. The enemy soldier must have stood next to one too many firing cannons, because he tries a Take Down, and misses to boot. Earthquake doesn't miss. Based on the pattern I expect a Water-type next, and sure enough, the puny Buizel collapses in one hit. That...was terrifying. I'm an old man, my poor heart can't take much more of this.

The haven of Celestic Town can't come quickly enough. As in Pastoria City, I take my ease by the local fishing hole. After three hours, my lazy search is rewarded with a Goldeen. Male, of course, and only Level 16, but I'll take what I can get. With his flashy, exotic mannerisms and supreme comfort in the water, I can tell he must be from somewhere quite distant.

Recruited Hawaii the male Goldeen from Celestic Town!

An elderly woman tells me she's seen a bluehead running around town muttering ominous things. Not them again! I have to investigate. He's not hard to find, what with his garish outfit and unpleasant stench, and like his fellows he's muttering about committing vile acts against civilians. Fortunately these lunatics are all bark and no bite. New Mexico :ponyta: and Florida :scyther: quickly put him in his place. Burr's relative appears to collect the heirloom I've brought--just as useless as your grandson, I see--and invites me to view a mural depicting the town's history.

I must admit, it's a touching sight, telling the story of the courage and determination of the first pioneers to ever settle this land. My viewing is interrupted, however, by a familiar sight. It's the mysterious man I've seen several times before. He knows who I am--I'm Benjamin Franklin, after all, and I've traveled to Europe in my time--but I'm flabbergasted when he introduces himself as none other than King George III. The King of the British Empire wants us to put our wits to the test, right here and now? Well, I've already fought for our American ideal, and I can do that some more!

I'm relieved to see I've got a comfortable level advantage. New Mexico :ponyta: almost takes out Sneasel with one Flame Wheel, but KG3 heals with a Hyper Potion, so my delegate only has to suffer one counterattack before claiming victory. Florida :scyther: follows Golbat into the skies, where Wing Attack again barely fails to oneshot. The Air Cutter isn't too bad though, and I appear to have exhausted the British king's supply lines. Last is a Murkrow, at Level 36. New Mexico wants to finish things decisively this time, so he pulls off a Fire Blast, but for the third time my enemy hangs on in red health. Drill Peck does very nearly half of New Mexico's health, but Flame Wheel gets the knockout in spite of Murkrow's Sitrus Berry.

Can that be it? Is it over already? The king acknowledges my American spirit, but no, it can't be that easy. We haven't seen the last of him. As thanks for defending the town, Burr's grandmother offers me the services of a merchant marine ship. Now there's a bargain! California :gastrodon: will love that. Time to find my sea legs; the rivers and shorelines won't be a hindrance to me any more!

:torterra: :beautifly:
Oklahoma (Torterra) ♂
Level 38, holding Quick Claw
Overgrow, Quiet Nature (+SpA, -Spe)
-Bite
-Earthquake
-Cut
-Razor Leaf

Georgia (Beautifly) ♀
Level 38, holding Insect Plate
Swarm, Quiet Nature (+SpA, -Spe)
-Giga Drain
-Defog
-Stun Spore
-Bug Bite

:ponyta: :scyther:
New Mexico (Ponyta) ♂
Level 39, holding Shell Bell
Flash Fire, Rash Nature (+SpA, -SpD)
-Take Down
-Stomp
-Flame Wheel
-Fire Blast

Florida (Scyther) ♀
Level 39, holding Sky Plate
Technician, Gentle Nature (+SpD, -Def)
-Wing Attack
-Rock Smash
-Slash
-Agility

:gastrodon: :roselia:
California (Gastrodon) ♂
Level 38, holding Fist Plate
Sticky Hold, Gentle Nature (+SpD, -Def)
-Hidden Power [Fighting]
-Body Slam
-Mud Bomb
-Surf

Louisiana (Roselia) ♀
Level 38, holding Meadow Plate
Poison Point, Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
-Giga Drain
-Leech Seed
-Magical Leaf
-Toxic Spikes
:drifloon:
Delaware (Drifloon) ♂
Level 15
Unburden, Mild Nature (+SpA, -Def)
-Minimize
-Astonish
-Gust
-Focus Energy

:togepi:
Rhode Island (Togepi) ♂
Level 1
Serene Grace, Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
-Growl
-Charm

:shieldon:
Arkansas (Shieldon) ♂
Level 20
Sturdy, Lax Nature (+Def, -SpD)
-Taunt
-Metal Sound
-Take Down
-Iron Defense

:clefairy:
Nevada (Clefairy) ♂
Level 17
Magic Guard, Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
-Sing
-DoubleSlap
-Defense Curl
-Follow Me

:spiritomb:
Washington (Spiritomb) ♂
Level 25
Pressure, Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
-Faint Attack
-Hypnosis
-Dream Eater
-Ominous Wind

:unownd:
North Dakota (Unown D) X
Level 20
Levitate, Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
-Hidden Power [Normal, Flying, Rock, Steel, Grass, Psychic, Ice, Dragon?]

:duskull:
Kansas (Duskull) ♂
Level 19
Levitate, Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
-Disable
-Foresight
-Astonish
-Confuse Ray

:noctowl:
Maine (Noctowl) ♂
Level 21
Keen Eye, Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
-Hypnosis
-Peck
-Uproar
-Reflect

:porygon:
Massachusetts (Porygon) X
Level 25
Trace, Bashful Nature (neutral)
-Psybeam
-Agility
-Recover
-Magnet Rise

:rhyhorn:
Texas (Rhyhorn) ♂
Level 24
Rock Head, Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
-Tail Whip
-Stomp
-Fury Attack
-Scary Face

:girafarig:
Wyoming (Girafarig) ♂
Level 26
Inner Focus, Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
-Stomp
-Agility
-Psybeam
-Baton Pass

:buizel:
Oregon (Buizel) ♂
Level 25
Swift Swim, Docile Nature (neutral)
-Water Gun
-Pursuit
-Swift
-Aqua Jet

:bibarel:
Minnesota (Bibarel) ♀
Level 28
Unaware, Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
-Water Gun
-Headbutt
-Hyper Fang
-Yawn

:pikachu:
New Jersey (Pikachu) ♂
Level 22
Static, Lax Nature (+Def, -SpD)
-Thunder Wave
-Quick Attack
-Double Team
-Slam

:machop:
New Hampshire (Machop) ♂
Level 28
No Guard, Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
-Foresight
-Seismic Toss
-Revenge
-Vital Throw

:goldeen:
Hawaii (Goldeen) ♂
Level 16
Water Veil, Lax Nature (+Def, -SpD)
-Tail Whip
-Water Sport
-Supersonic
-Horn Attack
:zubat:
Illinois (Zubat) ♂
Level 4-10, partnered with Mississippi
Inner Focus, Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Astonish
Killed by a Tackle from a Picnicker's Bidoof.

:staravia:
Mississippi (Staravia) ♀
Level 4-26, partnered with Illinois and Idaho
Intimidate, Quirky Nature (neutral)
-Double Team
-Endeavor
-Quick Attack
-Pluck
Killed by a Psybeam from Fantina's Mismagius.

:graveler:
Idaho (Graveler) ♂
Level 7-26, partnered with Mississippi
Sturdy, Hardy Nature (neutral)
-Magnitude
-Rock Throw
-Rock Blast
-Rock Polish
Killed by a Magical Leaf from Fantina's Mismagius.

:gastly:
Colorado (Gastly) ♀
Level 14-22, partnered with New York
Levitate, Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SpD)
-Lick
-Sucker Punch
-Night Shade
-Curse
Killed by a critical hit Bite from a wild Zubat.

:luxio:
Michigan (Luxio) ♀
Level 3-28, partnered with Oklahoma
Intimidate, Lax Nature (+Def, -SpD)
-Bite
-Flash
-Charge
-Spark
Killed by a critical hit Flame Wheel from a Cowgirl's Ponyta.

:psyduck:
Maryland (Psyduck) ♀
Level 6-30, partnered with New Mexico
Damp, Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
-Rock Smash
-Confusion
-Fury Swipes
-Water Pulse
Killed by a Horn Drill from a PI's Goldeen.

:umbreon:
New York (Umbreon) ♂
Level 20-37, partnered with Colorado and Pennsylvania
Synchronize, Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
-Payback
-Faint Attack
-Confuse Ray
-Quick Attack
Killed by an Aqua Jet from Crasher Wake's Floatzel.

:bronzong:
Pennsylvania (Bronzong) X
Level 14-37, partnered with New York
Levitate, Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
-Rock Smash
-Natural Gift
-Extrasensory
-Grass Knot

:gyarados:
Alabama (Gyarados) ♀
Level 11-33, partnered with California
Intimidate, Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
-Dragon Rage
-Ice Fang
-Bite
-Thrash
Killed by self-inflicted confusion from Thrash.

How come Lax and Gentle combined represent only 8% (2/25) of all Natures, but they're found on 19% (6/31) of my total catches so far? They're not even good Natures!

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Eagerly I head west, and find myself on the eastern segment of Route 211. Since this place is so similar in population to its western side, I've already made up my mind it's not a good field for recruitment, so I soon reach the northern sector of Mt. Coronet. This overal location is so large it does merit a second encounter, but alas, I'm not able to find anyone new after three attempts.

Mt. Coronet North encounter failed.

Much to my frustration, the way is blocked by massive boulders I'm incapable of moving, so I'm forced to retrace my steps a significant way. Sneaking past the pair of ace fighters on Route 210 is somehow even more stressful the second time. I pass away the time exploring numerous rivers and ponds. This yields a good amount of treasure, not least of which is a mystic water talisman from Pastoria City. California :gastrodon: will appreciate that.

Eventually I'm drawn back to the southwest corner of the Sinnoh region, my home. The two cozy hamlets of Sandgem and Twinleaf don't have anything to offer a seasoned statesman, but Route 219 may be a different story. In spite of my good odds of catching Finneon, a continuous afternoon of fishing yields only more Alabamans, no good to me.

Route 219 encounter failed.

My party is already at Level 39, and Governor Byron is too stubborn to admit anyone over Level 41, so I'll leave this southern coast alone for the time being. The sea west of Jubilife, however, demands my attention. I quickly run across a man whose delegation consists of a pair of Gyarados. Why are these things everywhere and why are they so difficult to fight? They aren't shy about using Dragon Rage, and their Ice Fang packs a wallop against both :gastrodon: California and :roselia: Louisiana. It's a nasty fight. Near the end I'm sure I'll have a death on my hands when California is left with a mere 27 HP. Dragon Rage and Ice Fang can KO either of my delegates at this point, but California is going to sacrifice himself for his lady. Full of despair, I watch...as the Gyarados uses Leer and falls to a Body Slam. The sense of relief is overwhelming.

The scent of ozone that clings to me from my lightning experiments must be repelling others, because it's not until the far side of the bay that I get an encounter. A Level 30 Chatot is nice, though of course he's male. Two Stomps from New Mexico :ponyta: bring it smoothly into red health, but the foolish man refuses to sign our accord, and his Chatter packs a punch. After exhausting my entire supply of Ultra Balls, I'm on the verge of having to knock it out with Florida :scyther: just to avoid dying when the little idiot cheerfully accepts a Great paper. All I can see when I look at him is the music note; it makes me think of Nashville, "Music City," in Tennessee.

Recruited Tennessee the male Chatot from Route 218!

Before I go, I must pay a certain debt to an old friend of mine. Two quick battles are sufficient to raise New Mexico :ponyta: to Level 40, when he's finally offered promotion into a Rapidash! This capital fellow hasn't always taken center stage, but he's been here for me nearly since the start of the journey.

I'm admiring Canalave City's harbor and drawbridge when none other than Alex appears. Taunting me about his successful negotiations with Governor Byron, he decides to put me to the test as well. Alex's newly-evolved Staraptor endures a Fire Blast from New Mexico :rapidash: with the tiniest shred of health, but its Double Team doesn't prevent a Flame Wheel from connecting next turn. After that, Alex is subjected to what I like to call "The Way of Wing." Florida :scyther: ensures that Floatzel, Infernape at Level 38, Heracross, and Roserade are all oneshot by a Technician, Sky Plate, STAB boosted metaphorical hurricane. She is a monster.

The Canalave Library comes highly recommended, but it doesn't seem to hold much for me now. Far more interesting are the wide variety of people sure to be found in a port town. My obsessive quest to recruit a Finneon ends with me fishing up three more Magikarp. I have gone for six 45% chances in a row and not had the odds in my favor a single time. How can this be?!

Canalave City encounter failed.

Fine, fine. It's not the end of the world. Time for me to go see if Byron can mount as much of a challenge as Alex seemed to think. His acolytes, as usual, are underwhelming, though it takes a long time for Oklahoma :torterra: and Georgia :beautifly: to deal with one of them who has three Bronzor. After dealing with them, I must train. Now that I can cross the water I'm able to visit the factories in the Great Lakes region, the Fuego Ironworks. There I meet a Magnemite who, though genderless, is welcome with me. It must be a delegate from one of the Rust Belt states here by the Great Lakes; its eye and body shape remind me of the letter O.

Recruited Ohio the Magnemite from Fuego Ironworks!

South of there I discover another entrance to Floaroma Meadow, and I'm overwhelmed by nature's bounty. There's more Honey here than I could shake a stick at, as they say. What a wonderful country.

When consulting my map on the way back to Canalave, I realize Route 219 is in fact quite short, and I should be able to recruit another delegate without much bother from Route 220. Good Rod in hand, I remind myself that the third time's the charm...one Magikarp...a Finneon! At last! Yet another male, though. With the help of Stun Spore from Georgia :beautifly: the young man is soon persuaded to aid our cause! He's got a rather tropical appearance, so he must be from the South.

Recruited South Carolina the male Finneon from Route 220!

Having returned to Route 218 just east of Canalave, it doesn't take me long to put the finishing touches on my debate notes. Everyone reaches Level 41, and Georgia :beautifly: acquires Bug Buzz! This is the best technique she can have, hands down. Bug Bite served her very well and I'm exceedingly glad I had her learn that move as a Wurmple, but it was time for an upgrade. The last step is to have California :gastrodon: hold the Wise Glasses I obtained in Celestic Town, which should boost his power in general rather than focusing on one specific move.

Byron turns out to be the biggest pushover of any Governor I've contacted so far. California :gastrodon: doesn't take a single hit point of damage while defeating Magneton and Bastiodon with Mud Bomb and Steelix with Surf. Papers, please!

Frank received the Mine Badge!

Just outside, Alex is waiting for me. Despite having proven myself to be on at least an equal footing to him relative to Byron, not to mention beating him outright several times, he still claims he's tougher, and then invites me to the library with him. He doesn't wait for my explanation that I've already been, so I suppose I ought to follow and see what he wants.

:torterra: :beautifly:
Oklahoma (Torterra) ♂
Level 41, holding Quick Claw
-Bite
-Earthquake
-Cut
-Razor Leaf

Georgia (Beautifly) ♀
Level 41, holding Insect Plate
-Giga Drain
-Defog
-Stun Spore
-Bug Buzz

:rapidash: :scyther:
New Mexico (Rapidash) ♂
Level 41, holding Sitrus Berry
-Take Down
-Stomp
-Flame Wheel
-Fire Blast

Florida (Scyther) ♀
Level 41, holding Sky Plate
-Wing Attack
-Rock Smash
-X-Scissor
-Agility

:gastrodon: :roselia:
California (Gastrodon) ♂
Level 42, holding Wise Glasses
-Hidden Power [Fighting]
-Body Slam
-Mud Bomb
-Surf

Louisiana (Roselia) ♀
Level 41, holding Meadow Plate
-Giga Drain
-Leech Seed
-Petal Dance
-Toxic Spikes
Delaware (Drifloon) ♂
Level 15
-Minimize
-Astonish
-Gust
-Focus Energy

:togepi:
Rhode Island (Togepi) ♂
Level 1
-Growl
-Charm

Arkansas (Shieldon) ♂
Level 20
-Taunt
-Metal Sound
-Take Down
-Iron Defense

Nevada (Clefairy) ♂
Level 17
-Sing
-DoubleSlap
-Defense Curl
-Follow Me

Washington (Spiritomb) ♂
Level 25
-Faint Attack
-Hypnosis
-Dream Eater
-Ominous Wind

North Dakota (Unown D) X
Level 20

Kansas (Duskull) ♂
Level 19
-Disable
-Foresight
-Astonish
-Confuse Ray

Maine (Noctowl) ♂
Level 21
-Hypnosis
-Peck
-Uproar
-Reflect

Level 25
-Psybeam
-Agility
-Recover
-Magnet Rise

Texas (Rhyhorn) ♂
Level 24
-Tail Whip
-Stomp
-Fury Attack
-Scary Face

Wyoming (Girafarig) ♂
Level 26
-Stomp
-Agility
-Psybeam
-Baton Pass

Oregon (Buizel) ♂
Level 25
-Water Gun
-Pursuit
-Swift
-Aqua Jet

Minnesota (Bibarel) ♀
Level 28
-Water Gun
-Headbutt
-Hyper Fang
-Yawn

New Jersey (Pikachu) ♂
Level 22
-Thunder Wave
-Quick Attack
-Double Team
-Slam

New Hampshire (Machop) ♂
Level 28
-Foresight
-Seismic Toss
-Revenge
-Vital Throw

Hawaii (Goldeen) ♂
Level 16
-Tail Whip
-Water Sport
-Supersonic
-Horn Attack

:chatot:
Tennessee (Chatot) ♂
Level 30
Keen Eye, Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
-Fury Attack
-Chatter
-Taunt
-Mimic

:magnemite:
Ohio (Magnemite) X
Level 29
Magnet Pull, Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
-SonicBoom
-Thunder Wave
-Spark
-Lock-On

:finneon:
South Carolina (Finneon) ♂
Level 19
Storm Drain, Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Water Gun
-Attract
-Rain Dance
-Gust
Illinois (Zubat) ♂
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Astonish

Mississippi (Staravia) ♀
-Double Team
-Endeavor
-Quick Attack
-Pluck

Idaho (Graveler) ♂
-Magnitude
-Rock Throw
-Rock Blast
-Rock Polish

Colorado (Gastly) ♀
-Lick
-Sucker Punch
-Night Shade
-Curse

Michigan (Luxio) ♀
-Bite
-Flash
-Charge
-Spark

Maryland (Psyduck) ♀
-Rock Smash
-Confusion
-Fury Swipes
-Water Pulse

New York (Umbreon) ♂
-Payback
-Faint Attack
-Confuse Ray
-Quick Attack

-Rock Smash
-Natural Gift
-Extrasensory
-Grass Knot

Alabama (Gyarados) ♀
-Dragon Rage
-Ice Fang
-Bite
-Thrash

Though I haven't been writing them as their own characters, do you have a favorite team member on the current roster?

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Late response to your previous update, but I find it funny that Cyrus is King George the Third in this story. It fits the narrative perfectly, seeing as how they're both batshit crazy.

Man, Florida :scyther: has just been wrecking house, taking out four of Alex' fully-evolved mons with Wing Attack like that! You may even want to consider not evolving her into Scizor yet once you get the Metal Coat on Iron Island. After all, her base stat total won't increase and you would be able keep the STAB on Wing Attack.

QOTD: I don't really have one favorite on the squad, but I will say it's nice to see New Mexico :rapidash: doing so well. On my last Wedlocke of Platinum, which I documented on the forums here as well (the one where the data got lost, unfortunately), my Ponyta Blaine :ponyta: bit the dust against a critical hit Rock Throw from a Bonsly. It was kind of a bummer, so I'm glad to see New Mexico has been carrying the torch this run!

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Calaf You make a good point about Florida, one I've pondered myself. We'll see! I'm proud of New Mexico too; sorry to hear about your Ponyta.

When I arrive to meet Alex, the blasted fool won't even let me the library. Some poppycock about me needing the Strength HM from Iron Island. I don't see why that should be the case, but I don't have the energy to argue with him.

A fellow introducing himself as Benedict lends me a Strength charter almost as soon as I step off the boat. As long as I'm here, though, I may as well explore. Onix is the only possible recruit for me here, and it's much more common on the lower levels of the cave. Despite me repelling my way down, I'm only met with two Graveler and a Golbat for my trouble. That's bothersome.

Iron Island encounter failed.

In fact, all of the civilians here are quite bothersome to fight. I go to the trouble of tutoring Oklahoma :torterra: in the art of Rock Tomb, but even that doesn't help much, so I keep it up with the Repel sprays. In hindsight I should have waited to accept the new territory Benedict will attempt to sell me, but one lives and learns. I take pains to challenge all the fellow soldiers training here as single fights; two-on-two engagements are fraught with danger.

That said, in the deepest part of the island is an unavoidable double battle with a pair of bluehead soldiers. These little imps are everywhere! Benedict accuses them of disturbing the environment and insists we battle them. Here goes nothing.

I'm immediately concerned when I see that the grunts have a full party of six between them. It's not a good matchup for :beautifly: Georgia. Benedict, in spite of how badly he was hankering for a fight, battles like an absolute brainless moron. His sole Lucario delegate is taken out halfway through the fight, leaving me at a two-on-one disadvantage. Bug Buzz brilliantly dispatches a Houndour, but then a Golbat appears. Not good. Wing Attack removes 50% of her health while she removes a weakened Croagunk, who's replaced by Stunky. My position is dire. Oklahoma :torterra: swaps in to be hit by Wing Attack and, alarmingly, Toxic. Before he can move on the next turn, Golbat applies Confuse Ray. Overwhelmed by the barrage of attacks, Oklahoma hurts himself, and then does so again on the next turn. By that point, the repeated assaults, as well as the ever-worsening poison coursing through him, are too much to handle. My hands shake just like the ground does when the sturdy warrior, my first friend and mighty partner, collapses.

Lost Oklahoma the Torterra :torterra:

The quiet but fearless Georgia :beautifly: takes over. Stunned into an emotionless, deadly precision by the death of her giant comrade, she toughs out another Wing Attack and obliterates the Stunky with Bug Buzz. Now it's only Golbat left, one-on-one at last. At the beginning of the battle Georgia had dodged a Zubat's Air Cutter, which is the only thing that kept her alive this long. She'll need all the luck in the world now, and attempts a Stun Spore. It's not going to be enough...it's not enough. Golbat darts in front of her with Wing Attack.

Lost Georgia the Beautifly :beautifly:

These foul thugs must suffer the Way of Wing, and Florida :scyther: duly brutalizes Golbat with its own murder weapon. The British leave, but not before shouting that they knew nothing of General Arnold's plan. Benedict...Arnold...you! You filthy, spineless traitor! The blood spilled today is upon your head!

If I had known Georgia might live the second Wing Attack, I could have removed Stunky from the picture before Oklahoma had to be summoned at all. As a single battle with Rock Tomb against a Level 34 Golbat, perhaps he could have won. We'll never know. Ever since Michigan died these two were truly the star-crossed lovers of my team. With shared weaknesses to Fire, Flying, and Ice, perhaps it was inevitable that they would perish eventually, but I didn't want to believe it. I love Bug-type Pokémon in general, and it lifted my spirits to see Georgia continually defy the low expectations of her typing and stats. Oklahoma, of course, has been with me from very first steps of my journey, soloing Roark and later sealing the deal against Crasher Wake. Would these two have struggled in the upcoming portion of the game? Yes. Would they have pulled through anyway? Without a doubt. And then, to suffer the humiliation of betrayal, and defeat by the lowliest, most vile of enemies...ah, this hurts. You both deserved so much more. Rest well...goodbye.

In the farthest depth of the cave I find both a Shiny Stone and a Metal Coat--two highly contraband substances that will need to be disposed of. When I leave the ship back in Canalave City, the music drifting on the air sounds more melancholy than ever. It's fitting. Still, life goes on. Louisiana :roselia: reports the salvaged Shiny Stone, and for her service she's promoted into Roserade! At the tavern where my reservists are resting, I assess my options. Ohio :magnemite: is an obvious choice, being my best insurance against the menace that is King George III. A Flying-type would pair well with it, and access to Fly is a nice perk as well. Ironically, I see the most potential in adding Rhode Island :togepi: to the party. He'll have well-balanced stats and an impressive selection of moves once I secure him a promotion or two. Plus, who better to pair with a Lonely individual than a Bold one?

With a much heavier heart I go to meet Alex at the library, where General Washington and John Adams are also waiting. After discussing some Native American mythology and the possibility of recruiting them to our cause, we're about to go do just that when a man runs up with an urgent message for the General. It's yet more sabotage, in the Great Lakes region! We resolve to part ways and travel there immediately; my assignment is Lake Superior, the one closest to Yellowstone Park.

On the way, I make one more stop by the Oreburgh Gate to retrieve a couple of items stuck behind large boulders. New Mexico :rapidash: is the one who accepts the contract for Strength. Then, as I pass by Veilstone City, I take a brief pause to raise Ohio :magnemite: by one level so that he'll qualify for a new promotion of his own, into Magneton. From there, by equpping it with a Smoke Ball and Rhode Island :togepi: with the Exp. Share, I begin the long process of forging a bond with the latter.

The small young fellow must greatly enjoy traveling, because after a while criss-crossing the land in my stagecoach and a mere handful of debates captained by Ohio, he's promoted into a Togetic at the tender level of 8. Do you know what this means? For the first time, one of my delegates is able to legally invoke the Fly charter! The first stop is Pastoria City, where after much debate, Florida :scyther: makes a deal to relinquish the contraband Metal Coat in exchange for promotion to a Scizor! She's perfectly complemented by New Mexico :rapidash: and his Flash Fire, and at last this alliance has less to fear from Rock-types. My business isn't finished, however, as I then visit the local jeweller. I give him three heart-shaped gems as payment and he forges three signet rings for me to represent :scizor: Bullet Punch, :magneton: Tri Attack, and :togetic: Magical Leaf. A good day's work.

In spite of my newfound regional mobility, the going is slow. A Lonely Nature isn't enough for Ohio :magneton: to get much mileage out of its mostly physical movepool, and Rhode Island :togetic: is still in no position whatsoever to support his ally. I have to pick my battles very carefully, and the use of Exp. Share drags out the levelling process too. Maybe it's time to see what beating up a pair of British generals can do for me.

Lake Superior isn't far, but it hardly resembles the picturesque scene I've been told about. The dry lakebed lies exposed and the fish are flopping pathetically. They'll pay for this! New Mexico :rapidash: and Florida :scizor: take the troops by storm, and moments later I'm standing before their blue-haired general, Cornwallis. The seasoned veteran expresses surprise that his comrades could have been beaten by a ragtag, upstart American like myself. He wants to see for himself what I can do, and who am I to deny him that? It doesn't take long, though--Golbat, Toxicroak, and Bronzor all go down in two hits. Rock Tomb from the latter gets a raised eyebrow, but it does a laughable 11 damage to New Mexico.

Nonplussed, General Cornwallis blathers something about Lake Ponchartrain in the south. That's where General Washington and John Adams went! Has a British army mobilized there as well? I waste no time, and upon arriving I see that my fears were justified. The General seems to be doing all right, but Adams is suffering at the hands of my old friend General Mars. The same pair who gave Cornwallis what-for blasts through four blueheads without taking a single point of damage, and the fight is on. Amusingly, it's the exact same scenario over again. New Mexico :rapidash: roasts Golbat and Bronzor with two Fire-type attacks apiece, and Florida :scizor: mops up the squad's ace with one super-effective hit followed by a Bullet Punch for good measure. Mars whines a bit too, but concludes that her own mission was nevertheless a success.

Still worried by the British mobilization, my two American comrades urge me to investigate the isolated Lake Tahoe far away in the mountains. After all, that's where Alex Hamilton went, and the Lord only knows what he might be up to. I can't go just yet, though. Rhode Island :togetic: is up to Level 29, which is a good improvement but still far from desirable.

West of Pastoria I realize I no longer have anyone who knows Cut. It's not an absolute necessity but it's still nice to have, and I don't imagine Louisiana :roserade: will ever be dying for want of Leech Seed. Since Magical Leaf is Rhode Island's best move he mostly sticks to training against Water and Ground types, though I'm excited when he learns AncientPower at Level 34. That could turn into a run-saver at some point with Serene Grace. At Level 35, I investigate Ohio's military record and realize that due to his field service at Mount Coronet, it qualifies for a promotion! 10 less base Speed isn't fun, but every other stat sees notable improvement. The coalition now features two of my top three favorite delegates of all time!

Once Ohio :magnezone: learns Discharge at Level 40, we go to examine the Gulf coast of Route 213. One of the merchants marine has 3 Gyarados accompanying him--the stuff of nightmares. While there, Ohio and Rhode Island both hit Level 41. I think that's good enough--time to head north to Lake Tahoe and see what kind of trouble Alex has gotten himself into. Unfortunately this means traversing the northen caverns of Mount Coronet, which essentially requires Defog. I hope Rhode Island doesn't miss Charm too much.

The cavern itself is devoid of any other people, so I quickly make my way to the wintry Route 216.

:magnezone: :togetic:
Ohio (Magnezone) X
Level 42, holding Smoke Ball
Magnet Pull, Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
-Magnet Bomb
-Thunder Wave
-Discharge
-Tri Attack

Rhode Island (Togetic) ♂
Level 42, holding Shell Bell
-Magical Leaf
-Defog
-Fly
-AncientPower

:rapidash: :scizor:
New Mexico (Rapidash) ♂
Level 42, holding Sitrus Berry
-Strength
-Stomp
-Flame Wheel
-Fire Blast

Florida (Scizor) ♀
Level 42, holding Lum Berry
-Wing Attack
-Rock Smash
-X-Scissor
-Bullet Punch

:gastrodon: :roserade:
California (Gastrodon) ♂
Level 42, holding Wise Glasses
-Hidden Power [Fighting]
-Body Slam
-Mud Bomb
-Surf

Louisiana (Roserade) ♀
Level 42, holding Meadow Plate
-Giga Drain
-Cut
-Petal Dance
-Toxic Spikes
Delaware (Drifloon) ♂
Level 15
-Minimize
-Astonish
-Gust
-Focus Energy

Arkansas (Shieldon) ♂
Level 20
-Taunt
-Metal Sound
-Take Down
-Iron Defense

Nevada (Clefairy) ♂
Level 17
-Sing
-DoubleSlap
-Defense Curl
-Follow Me

Washington (Spiritomb) ♂
Level 25
-Faint Attack
-Hypnosis
-Dream Eater
-Ominous Wind

North Dakota (Unown D) X
Level 20

Kansas (Duskull) ♂
Level 19
-Disable
-Foresight
-Astonish
-Confuse Ray

Maine (Noctowl) ♂
Level 21
-Hypnosis
-Peck
-Uproar
-Reflect

Level 25
-Psybeam
-Agility
-Recover
-Magnet Rise

Texas (Rhyhorn) ♂
Level 24
-Tail Whip
-Stomp
-Fury Attack
-Scary Face

Wyoming (Girafarig) ♂
Level 26
-Stomp
-Agility
-Psybeam
-Baton Pass

Oregon (Buizel) ♂
Level 25
-Water Gun
-Pursuit
-Swift
-Aqua Jet

Minnesota (Bibarel) ♀
Level 28
-Water Gun
-Headbutt
-Hyper Fang
-Yawn

New Jersey (Pikachu) ♂
Level 22
-Thunder Wave
-Quick Attack
-Double Team
-Slam

New Hampshire (Machop) ♂
Level 28
-Foresight
-Seismic Toss
-Revenge
-Vital Throw

Hawaii (Goldeen) ♂
Level 16
-Tail Whip
-Water Sport
-Supersonic
-Horn Attack

:chatot:
Tennessee (Chatot) ♂
Level 30
Keen Eye, Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
-Fury Attack
-Chatter
-Taunt
-Mimic

:finneon:
South Carolina (Finneon) ♂
Level 19
Storm Drain, Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Water Gun
-Attract
-Rain Dance
-Gust
Illinois (Zubat) ♂
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Astonish

Mississippi (Staravia) ♀
-Double Team
-Endeavor
-Quick Attack
-Pluck

Idaho (Graveler) ♂
-Magnitude
-Rock Throw
-Rock Blast
-Rock Polish

Colorado (Gastly) ♀
-Lick
-Sucker Punch
-Night Shade
-Curse

Michigan (Luxio) ♀
-Bite
-Flash
-Charge
-Spark

Maryland (Psyduck) ♀
-Rock Smash
-Confusion
-Fury Swipes
-Water Pulse

New York (Umbreon) ♂
-Payback
-Faint Attack
-Confuse Ray
-Quick Attack

-Rock Smash
-Natural Gift
-Extrasensory
-Grass Knot

Alabama (Gyarados) ♀
-Dragon Rage
-Ice Fang
-Bite
-Thrash

:torterra:
Oklahoma (Torterra) ♂
Level 5-43, partnered with Michigan and Georgia
-Rock Tomb
-Earthquake
-Cut
-Razor Leaf
Killed by damage from Toxic inflicted by a Galactic Grunt's Stunky.

:beautifly:
Georgia (Beautifly) ♀
Level 10-43, partnered with Oklahoma
-Giga Drain
-Defog
-Stun Spore
-Bug Buzz
Killed by a Wing Attack from a Galactic Grunt's Golbat.

This will be the last update posted on the Marriland Forums. You can continue to follow my challenge at its new home!