RMT Gen 8 looking for some feedback

Scribbles

Beginner Trainer
heya, this will be my first attempt at anything vgc and i would like some feedback on my team, im still working on it, switching pokemon in and out, theory-crafting and stuff. maybe looking at getting a weather setting pokemon in here as i think i have a pretty big weakness to fire on this team. any constructive criticism is welcome thanks.

Butterfree-Gmax @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Compound Eyes
Level: 50
Happiness: 160
EVs: 44 HP / 108 Def / 100 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
  • Pollen Puff
  • Psychic
  • Hurricane
  • Giga Drain
Butterfree: butterfree is here to mainly giggamax and spread conditions with befuddle, also to boost speed with max airstream and set psychic terrain and grassy terrain if I need it. Also, this is mon is probably going to be switched out for someone stronger as I was playing around with it in showdown a bit the other night and it was getting ohkhoed pretty easily. there is just a lot of things that are faster and stronger and I think maybe my ev's could be better but I really wanted to use this mon because it's really pretty and befuddle is just really awesome with spreading conditions.

Gardevoir @ Light Clay
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
  • Life Dew
  • Reflect
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Knock Off
Gardevoir: She's here as a physical hate mon. with reflect and burn I was testing calcs and it cripples things so far that they just don't do damage anymore and its main goal was to protect weavile who is probably the squishiest on this team. Life dew can revitalize some hp of my team like when I have goodra out and I'm sludge waving to counter follow me I can restore hp of both her and goodra so the wave really has a diminished impact on her. knock off is for those pesky items like eviolite or berries or weakness policy or some other items that I need to get rid of for my other team members.

Weavile @ Charti Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 160 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 92 Spe
Jolly Nature
  • Icy Wind
  • Shadow Claw
  • Foul Play
  • Brick Break
Weavile: Their here for speed control, with Icy Wind, and for foul play shenanigans (if they can live) and to break screens. I wanted to make this mon bulky so they can survive some hits under reflect and not be instagibed, also the pokemon has nostalgia value for me too, I'm probably going to switch it out as its just too frail.

Toxapex @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
  • Toxic
  • Haze
  • Recover
  • Poison Jab
Toxapex: Haze tank here for toxic stuff and resetting stat changes, getting the lefties (which has been switched to sludge) and throwing out random poison jabs, being able to switch out to gain some hp as well is also a huge boost. if it's not being super effective by like a thunderbolt or something from a special sweeper its actually very tanky.

Whimsicott @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
  • Tailwind
  • Taunt
  • Protect
  • Moonblast
Whimsicott: general whimsi is here for faking out the opponent during team preview sometimes and as well as a speed controller with tailwind. shes my taunter and carries moonblast for dragon typing matchups, I went with a bulky setup so I didn't have to run a focus sash on her.

Goodra @ Yache Berry
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 156 HP / 84 Atk / 132 Def / 4 SpA / 132 SpD
Relaxed Nature
  • Thunderbolt
  • Flamethrower
  • Sludge Wave
  • Breaking Swipe
Goodra: Here for coverage and for some tanking and speed control with gooey, and attack control with breaking swipe, sludge wave gets around a follow me on most fairy types which will hit them supper effectively and still do chip damage to whatever else is out there, while the rest of the moves i think have good coverage for a lot of different situations.

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
@Scribbles Hi! Welcome to the Competitive Battling subforum. As per the rules of this forum, could you please include a couple lines of description about each Pokemon? Having some background information about how you built your team, the choices you made, and what each team member is supposed to do will make it much easier to give you helpful advice.

Scribbles

Beginner Trainer
@Typhlosion Yes! so very sorry i must have forgotten to look for that, ill go look at other rules forums again to doublecheck and reread stuff just to make sure i have all the information again, sorry for the missunderstanding

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
No worries! I appreciate you fixing that up.

Looking over your team has made me realize just how unfamiliar I still am with this meta, wow. You might have to take any advice I can give with a grain of salt, lol. I had to look up what Life Dew and Breaking Swipe do.

If you're worried about Fire-types and looking to replace Butterfree, Centiskorch could be a better option. It can also Gigantamax and gets Power Whip as a coverage move should you still want to set Grassy Terrain.

I feel like your team could benefit from Prankster Grimmsnarl as a bulky supporter, but I'm not quite sure where to put it. It brings the same Fairy-type advantages as Gardevoir and Whimsicott; it gets Reflect and Light Screen for protection, and Toxic, Thunder Wave, and Taunt for disruption. Easily customizable.

Toxapex is never really bad but I do question a couple move choices. One thing you see all over the place in VGC is Protect-style attacks, so Baneful Bunker might go well in the first slot. You still have that chance of poisoning, too. If you give me a good reason for running Poison Jab I'll leave it alone, but for Toxapex's attacking move I know Scald is a very common and useful pick.

I think I agree with removing Weavile (sorry nostalgia value) and re-evaluating Goodra as well while we're at it. One trap I sometimes fall into while teambuilding, which I think you might be experiencing, is making sure to have a lot of things that can support, but neglecting the Pokemon that are supposed to need supporting. You have enough teammates to work with that Weavile and Goodra shouldn't be worrying about providing their own speed or attack control. If I'm being honest I don't have a very good idea what to replace them with but I think you should simply focus on things that hit hard right away. Gyarados and Dragapult come to mind.