Calaf (3) def. Fafrir (0)
Moxie (6) def. Calaf (0)
Fafrir (3) def. Seaturtle (0)
Scott (4) def. Flo (0)
Bossvelt (1) def. Gokey (0)
Jarrod (2) def. Bossvelt (0)
Scott (2) def. Gokey (0)

-Yowie wowie! Another 6-0!
-The tides rose, and thus have fallen. From 4 undefeated participants down to 1. Congratulations to Varhii who is now 8-0 in their battles! Guaranteed playoffs for sure.
-Scott continues his hot streak. And his rematch with Jarrod is next week! Will Scott burn brighter than ever or will his flame be put out by the host of MDL Season 3?

Team Changes:
Gokudera:

GMax Toxtricity -> GMax Sandaconda
Sandaconda -> Rotom Frost

Effective Week 5

We finally have more recommendations for interesting battles to watch:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8anythinggoes-1097549107
^Nick vs Seaturtle, advertised by Typhlosion!

^Moxie vs. Calaf, the two former undefeated titans! Also chosen by Typhlosion!

Here are the standings as of right now:

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 12.04.29 AM.png

And here are Week 5 matches!

Varhii vs Fafrir
Nick vs Flo
Typhlosion vs Moxie
Calaf vs Gokey
Scott vs BasedJarrod
Seaturtle vs Boss
--------
Boss vs Flo
Nick vs Fafrir
Scott vs Typhlosion
Calaf vs Varhii
Seaturtle vs BasedJarrod
Gokey vs Moxie

Last edited:

BasedJarrod

The Ruler of Space and Time
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
Time Zone
CST
IGN
Jarrod
Here are the results for Week 5 (minus Scott vs. Jarrod, which will now take place during Week 6!):
Typhlosion (3) def Moxie (0)
Moxie (4) def Gokey (0)
Jarrod (3) def Seaturtle (0)
Fafrir (3) def Varhii (0)
Typhlosion (4) def Scott (0)
Flo (3) def Nick (0)
Calaf (2) def Varhii (0)
Boss (3) def Flo (0)
Boss (3) def Seaturtle (0)
Calaf (3) def Gokey (0)
Fafrir (2) def Nick (0)

- I would consider a number of these to be upsets, like Fafrir/Varhii and Flo/Nick.
- 3-0 lol
- And with that, Varhii is finally defeated! And not only that, they lost both their matches this week. Discord chat (because Showdown chat wasn't available) was going bonkers watching Fafrir win.
- While some playoff spots are basically guaranteed at this point (Varhii, Moxie, Calaf, Typhlosion), there is still no clear cut path for the rest of players, who are all hovering around the same 4-5 or 5-5 win/loss record. Head-to-Head results and differential will be a huge factor in determining who the final few playoff participants will be.

Team Changes:
Fafrir:
GMax Kingler -> GMax Toxtricity

Nick:
Abomasnow -> Lapras

Typhlosion:
Accelgor -> Lanturn

Seaturtle:
Falinks -> Rhydon

All effective Week 6.

And these are the current rankings for Week 5, minus the Jarrod/Scott battle that hasn't happened yet:
Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 10.45.46 PM.png

And these are the Week 6 Battles!

- Jarrod vs Scott from Week 5
Nick vs Calaf
Boss vs Moxie
Flo vs BasedJarrod
Gokey vs Varhii
Seaturtle vs Typhlosion
Fafrir vs Scott
--------
Nick vs Gokey
Varhii vs Scott
Calaf vs Flo
Fafrir vs BasedJarrod
Typhlosion vs Boss
Seaturtle vs Moxie

BasedJarrod

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
Time Zone
CST
IGN
Jarrod
Here are the results from Week 6:
Boss (3) def Flo (0)
Scott (4) def Jarrod (0)
Calaf (2) def Flo (0)
Moxie (3) def Seaturtle (0)
Boss (3) def Moxie (0)
Scott (3) def Fafrir (0)
Jarrod (1) def Flo (0)
Scott (4) def Varhii (0)
Seaturtle (2) def Typhlosion (0)
Nick (3) def Gokey (0)
Varhii (2) def Gokey (0)
Typhlosion (6) def Boss (0)
Nick (1) def Calaf (0)
Fafrir (2) def Jarrod (0)

-A total upset featuring Scott defeating Fafrir and SG, as well as Seaturtle defeating Typhlosion and Boss defeating Moxie.
-Typhlosion gets the sole 6-0 this week!
-Next week is the final week of regular season!

Team Changes:
Flo <-> Jarrod:
Cinderace for Galarian Weezing, effective Week 7

Gokey <-> Jarrod:
Conkeldurr for Grimmsnarl, effective Week 7

Moxie:
Dusknoir -> Glalie, effective Week 7

Standings for Week 6:
Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 9.41.12 PM.png

And for the last week of regular play, here is the schedule for Week 7!

Nick vs Typhlosion
Moxie vs Flo
Calaf vs Scott
BasedJarrod vs Gokey
Boss vs Fafrir
Varhii vs Seaturtle
--------
Nick vs Moxie
Typhlosion vs Flo
Scott vs Gokey
Calaf vs BasedJarrod
Varhii vs Boss
Fafrir vs Seaturtle

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Boss with some epic mind games.
Those Alcreamy, though. That was some of the most intense battling I've ever seen.
.How long did that battle last in real time?

Fafrir

Queen of Dragons
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
Those Alcreamy, though. That was some of the most intense battling I've ever seen.
.How long did that battle last in real time?
It lasted for an hour, I left twice during the match and came back when it was almost over.

Edit: On an unrelated note, I was thinking of making a thread or post about my first draft experience after this week if I don't make playoffs if people are curious.

Last edited:

BasedJarrod

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
Time Zone
CST
IGN
Jarrod
And just like that, the regular season comes to an end! It's been nearly 2 months after sign ups went up, and let's see who is moving on to playoffs!

Out of 12 people, the top 6 will be moving on!

Placing 6th, with a record of 8-6, is Nick! This will be his third time in playoffs, and with no shortage of experience under his belt, will 2020 finally be his year to win the Marriland Draft League? Will his team finally kick it into high enough gear to shake off what has been a season full of accuracy problems and hax for the former staff member?

Placing 5th, also with a record of 8-6, is Fafrir! A newcomer to Draft, she's surprised many with not only how well she's done, but how quickly she's gone into absolute gamer mode. She is the dark horse of this draft, and it would be a mistake to sleep on her at this point!

Placing 4th, with a record of 9-5, the first ever MDL winner Typhlosion! He has the chance to make history as the first 2-time winner of the Marriland Draft League! His Gigantamax Charizard has the most KO's of any GMax drafted this season with 27. Will Charizard be the key to repeat success?

Placing 3rd, coming in with a record of 10-4, former host of the previous two installments of the MDL Varhii! They have absolutely obliterated the competition left and right with a terrifying rain team, led by Dracovish, which is tied with AT's Charizard for the most KO's. Will the former host finalize realize success at the top of the MDL? And will anyone be able to stop Dracovish?

Placing 2nd, with a record of 11-3, we have Moxie! This is undeniably the best record Moxie has had in draft, and his first time entering playoffs. Will the unlikely hero complete his fairytale with a win to cap off an incredible season? He is the only participant in playoffs that has yet to bring every Pokemon he's drafted at least once. Will that one Pokemon play a pivotal role in his game going forward?

And finally, the number 1 player as of the end of this season, with a record of 12-2, the only person to be undefeated in his group battles and winner of the last MDL, Calaf! Calaf has proved to be an absolutely terrifying draft player, having awoken his potential in the middle of the last draft, and he hasn't looked back ever since. With the best record of the draft, a great team, and a Gigantamax with the second most KO's this season (Lapras, at 20), will Calaf usurp AT's attempt at becoming a 2x winner by becoming the first 2x winner of draft, and the first to also do so back to back?

Calaf being the 1st seed and Moxie being the 2nd seed both get byes for the first round of the playoffs.

The battles we have in the quarterfinals of MDL Season 3 are:

Nick vs Varhii...

and Fafrir vs Typhlosion!

This will last until Sunday, May 17th at 11:59 PM CST OR whenever both battles finish, whichever happens sooner. All battles this round will be a best of 3, which each participant able to swap out Pokemon between each battle.

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
No one can stop Dracovish :cryingazurill:

But haha Moxie's Glalie goes brrrr

Fafrir

Queen of Dragons
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
Well, I guess my thread will have to wait. :P
PLAYOFFS BABEEEEEEEEE LES GO!

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Good luck, everyone!
These playoffs should be wild!

BasedJarrod

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
Time Zone
CST
IGN
Jarrod
After the first week of playoffs has ended, where do we stand? How did the competitors fare? Let's take a look at Fafrir vs Typhlosion!
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8anythinggoes-1116437202
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8anythinggoes-1116442263

Typhlosion has beaten Fafrir 2 battles to none, meaning the first ever Draft League Champion has earned his spot in the semi-finals. Take nothing away from Fafrir though, as she really shone during this draft. Expect big things from the lover of all things Scrafty in the future.

Next, we have Varhii vs. Nick!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8anythinggoes-1116588768
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8anythinggoes-1116591851

Nick has beaten a draft favorite in Varhii to advance to the semi-finals! Varhii will unfortunately have to wait until next year to win draft, meanwhile Nick is closer to winning it all!

As for the semi-finals, I was intially gonna let Calaf and Moxie choose their matches, but I didn't want to wait and decided the second thing that came to mind.

Typhlosion vs. Moxie
-------------
Nick vs. Calaf

That's right! These are your semifinal matches! These best of 3 battles will be completed by Sunday at 11:59 PM CST! Typhlosion and Calaf both still have the chance to become 2 time winners, and Moxie and Nick still have the ability to see a new champion crowned! Who risk it all for the gold in the Marriland Draft League?!

Last edited:

BasedJarrod

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
Time Zone
CST
IGN
Jarrod
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen! For the past two months I've had the honor and the privilege of being the host of the Marriland Draft League in its third installment, and we are now nearing the end. We've seen many faces, old and new, step up to try and claim the title "King of Games" in what has been probably the most contested season so far! At one point, we had 4 people undefeated, and by the end, multiple people were almost tied in their standings, which honestly would've caused many headaches in terms of who'd make it to playoffs and who wouldn't. But either way, we have finished 7 weeks of the regular season, the Quarterfinals, and now the Semifinals!

Moxie and Calaf both scored 2-0's over very game opponents in Typhlosion and Nick, respectively!

Which now leads us to the Grand Finals! Moxie vs Calaf!

Moxie has been the star child of this draft, undoubtedly putting up the best results he's ever put up since the UU Tourney last year! His long running undefeated streak was shocking to many, but to make it to the Finals has cemented his spot as one of the best that Marriland has to offer!

Calaf is the returning champion of the draft, winning 2019's installment. He's been on the tear the entire time this year as well, and looks to make history as the first and only 2-time King of Games! He was also the undoubted favorite to win the whole thing, which very well may happen now!

This Match will be a Best of 5, meaning the champion will be decided after they win 3 games. Will we see a new legend arise, or will we see the King continue to rule with an iron fist?

Results by Sunday at 11:59 PM CST!

BasedJarrod

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
Time Zone
CST
IGN
Jarrod
Two titans clashed in a heated Best of 5 contest to determine the King of Games. 1 titan fell as the other rose to new heights and claimed their rightful place as champion of the Marriland Draft League 2020. And after the dust settled:

Calaf emerged victorious! Congratulations to the winner of the MDL and first ever 2-Time King of Games! You have solidified yourself as truly the best of the Draft format, leaving everyone else to try and follow in your footsteps!

Moxie, while you ended up losing the war, you made it farther than everyone else who shared the same fate as you did. There is absolutely nothing for you to be ashamed about, everything considered. Maybe next time!

Here are the battles that were waged, 3 of them being 6-0's. Truly an up and down, heartwrenching affair:

And now that the draft is over, I wanna know people's opinions on what they think worked, didn't work, could be improved, favorite battles, additional comments, etc. If you have a favorite battle, share it down below! Thanks for a great season!

Fafrir

Queen of Dragons
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
Congrats Calaf!
I already posted my MDL S3 thread with teams, battle commentary with replays, Dragon Quest gushing, draft and comments already so I don't have to repeat myself on those.

In general, this event was really well run, battles were always getting done at a reasonable timeline, the spreadsheet and Discord were organized, I got Scrafty (a.k.a. best pokemon), and the posts are always on point. For improvements, the main one is definitely how late the draft trade cutoff was, a number of people had issues with it due to the fact you can utilize trades to counter remaining teams as well as take Pokemon from players who aren't making play-offs. I've said this in Discord but an earlier trade cutoff (Week 4 since you are doing 2 battles at once) would be much better since you can still improve your team but you also do not know who is making playoffs. Another thing is some Pokemon could be in different tiers; for example Heliolisk is in C tier and Jolteon is in B tier and I feel those Pokemon should swap tiers because the only thing Jolteon has over Lisk is Speed, Yawn, and Volt Absorb I guess. Those are my two cents and thank you for hosting this Jarrod!

Also, favourite battles (in no particular order) are Me vs Gokey (because I got to sweep with my favourite Pokemon), Nick vs Chris (tfw had Trick > Trick Room and now it suddenly turned to Bug's Life), Calaf vs SG (Mudsdale completely walling a Seismitoad is hilarious), and Moxie vs Boss (even though the battle replay has driven me insane).

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
are Me vs Gokey (because I got to sweep with my favourite Pokemon)
Yeah. I absolutely did not do much team prep at all lmao. I just kind of winged it, and it absolutely showed.

But hot damn Baton Pass can be OP if you it's set up properly.

That Moxie v Boss fight...good lord what an endurance match. That's like a game going into 5 overtimes or 19 innings. Whoever has that last bit of stamina left wins. I didnt watch live and I was exhausted afterward. Holy bajeebus.

Also, Rotom Mow needs some damn glasses. Something like these.
1590820504011.jpg

But I really like this Draft League. You did a great job, Jarrod. This was really well organized and a lot of fun.
I just need to actually do better team prep and actually draft well next time lol.

Fafrir

Queen of Dragons
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
are Me vs Gokey (because I got to sweep with my favourite Pokemon)
Yeah. I absolutely did not do much team prep at all lmao. I just kind of winged it, and it absolutely showed.
I actually was surprised you brought neither Conkeldurr nor Mimikyu and once I saw the team preview, all I needed to do was KO Blastoise and setup on either Claydol or Gourgeist with Scrafty to either win the game or deal heavy damage to your team. It was still fun though and hopefully we can battle again in the future!

(the Switcheroo Flame Orb was really neat though, really crippled my Escavalier)

Last edited:

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Yeah. If I brought either Mimikyu or Conk that could have gone a bit differently.
But yeah, that was most a sample set for Obstagoon, but I really like that it gets Switcheroo. I figured giving Escavelier Flame Orb would be important.

I really should have drafted a better hazard setter.
Oh well. This was still a really fun time.thanks for hosting, Jarrod! :mrgreenazurill::mrgreenazurill: