Rainbow Rocket Grunt
- Join Date
- Nov 1, 2018
MARRILAND FORUMS AMBIDEX SHOWDOWN
The game of trust versus betrayal! Welcome to the Marriland Forums Ambidex Showdown! This game was heavily inspired by the Ambidex Game from Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (which in turn was inspired by the Prisoner's Dilemma), with some tweaks to serve as a forum game instead.
HOW TO PLAY:
This game is divided in rounds. Players will be competing against each other in 2-on-1 battles in order to raise their Bracelet Points (BP) to 9, so they can open the 9 Door, escape and win!
The initial amount of Bracelet Points for all players is 3. At the start of each round, players will be randomly assigned a color and a type. The two different types are PAIR and SOLO, and they determine who will be fighting who: the two PAIR players of each color will be facing the SOLO player of the same color. Depending on the number of people that sign up, there will be a different number of colors, but the ideal amount is 9 total players and 3 different colors, like in the original game. Regardless, if we get a weird number of players, I'll just fiddle with the number of PAIRs and SOLOs a bit, so no one gets left out.
The game itself is simple: the player(s) simply need to choose between one of two options: ALLY or BETRAY. Depending on the choice, the bracelet points of the player(s) can either go up or down, according to this chart.
For example, say the two PAIR players chose to ALLY, but the SOLO player chose to BETRAY. Then the PAIR players would both lose 2 BP, while the SOLO player would gain 3 BP. However, if it's the other way around and the PAIR players choose BETRAY while the SOLO player chooses ALLY, then the SOLO player would lose 2 BP and the PAIR players will gain 2 BP. If both the SOLO and PAIR players choose ALLY, then all 3 of them would gain 2 BP; finally, if both choose BETRAY, the point totals remain completely unchanged.
The actions are decided via PM: at the start of every round I will send a PM to every player (PAIR players get a group PM with their respective partner). The actions are submitted by responding to the PM either with /ALLY or /BETRAY. That means that, in PAIR PMs, the first person to vote gets to make the choice, regardless if the other person agrees or not. Whether breaking your partner's trust is a good idea or not is up to you... Keep in mind, this vote cannot be changed.
After every round, the choices are tallied and the points are updated. Any player whose BP drops bellow 1 will be executed and, therefore, lose. If a player reaches 9 BP or more, they can choose to open the door by posting /OPEN on the main thread. If that happens, the game will end; every player with 9 or more BP will escape and win, and all others will get stuck and lose. However, if a player drops below 9 BP, they lose their rights to open the door. Do you trust the other players or escape right away? The choice is yours...
Of course, I won't make it easy for you to pacifist your way through. Unlike in the video game that inspired this, a lot of people know one another here, and there's also a risk of the game going on forever. So every round, I will add a special rule that is valid only for that round. That rule can do anything, like mess with the point chart or force certain conditions, so you'll have to stay on your toes!
RULES AND INFO:
- Regular Marilland and G&OR rules apply.
- To join, just post below saying something along the lines of "I want to join". Just make sure before you sign up that you can commit to participate the whole way through. At the very least confirm that you're able to dedicate 10 minutes every couple of days to this, and that should be enough.
- Regardless, if for some reason someone needs to leave the game, their character will be immediately executed.
- Each round will last for 48 hours, or until everyone makes their vote.
- If a player doesn't post in the respective PM during that time their vote will count as BETRAY and they will receive a warning. Doing this twice will get the player executed. However, the warning won't be announced in the main thread, so feel free to use this to your advantage.
- Executed players automatically vote ALLY.
- To make sure you read the rules, make sure to replace a letter "o" with the number 0 in the post you join with.
- After the game starts, only participants can post in the thread, which they're encouraged to use to talk to their opponents and partners to come up with strategies.
- Players can talk about this game even outside of the thread, though. I've battled a lot with this decision, but in the end this rule would be difficult to enforce, plus in the original game people could still talk secretly between themselves. However, I do encourage the use of the thread, especially if you're trying to make yourself look trustworthy.
- Play close attention to the special rule of each round, as it can influence some of the rules.
- And most importantly, have fun! Don't take anything that happens here too seriously, and just try to enjoy yourself!
SIGNUPS:And that's it! The game will start on the 1st of March, or when we get 9 players!