Marriland Frequently Asked Questions + Ask your quick questions here!

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮

☆ ★ Marriland Frequently Asked Questions ★ ☆

Welcome to the Marriland Forums FAQ page! Here I'll be answering some common questions we get here, and you can also post any quick questions about the Marriland Forums here.

! Please check if your question is answered here first before asking it.
! Please only ask questions about the Marriland Forums here. It is not the place to be asking questions about Pokémon, anything that can be googled, or anything else that isn't related to the Marriland Forums. Remember that questions about Pokémon can be asked in the appropriate forum (for example, questions about Let's Go! can be answered in the Switch Pokémon Games forum).
! Please feel free to ask quick questions about the forums here! Making an entire thread for a super quick question may result in it getting merged into this thread.

★ Can I change my username?

We allow users to change their username once a year by going to your account details. Once your name has been changed, you must wait another full year before changing it again. We only have a few exceptions:

☆ If your account is less than 7 days old OR has less than 15 posts, you may still request to change your username by private messaging a staff member!
☆ We allow very minor alterations at any time, such as capitalizing the first letter or removing numbers at the end.
☆ You may request a change if your username contains very personal information, such as your real full name, that you're no longer comfortable with sharing publicly. This will not be recorded in your username history.
☆ We will change your username without prior notice if it contains anything breaking the rules, such as slurs or inappropriate language.

If you fall under one of these exceptions, please simply private message your name change request to any staff member.

★ What is BBCode / how do I use it?

BBCode is a way to format your posts using very basic coding. It is super simple to use - if you're brand new to it, don't be intimidated! In simple terms, you just use brackets to tell your text what to do. You can bold/italicize/underline text, change the size/color/font/alignment, or even add images or links. For example, the BBCode for bolding your text is text, so instead of clicking the Bold button along the top of the post editor, you can just type Insert text here. Then, when you post, it will show up as bolded. (Click "Preview" first to make sure everything was typed correctly.)

☆ To see a full list of what you can do with BBCode, you can view this guide, which is located under the Help dropdown menu at the top of the page.
☆ If you prefer using BBCode, you can click the gear button (
) along the top of the text box to toggle BBCode-only mode. Then, your text box will display in raw plain text so you can view all coding, rather than the finished formatting that will show when you post it. This can make it easier to have full control over complex coding, but without toggling this mode, you'll be able to use the buttons along the top of the text box instead and see your formatting show before you post.
☆ If you have further questions about BBCode, you can post here!

★ How do I add images/links to my post?

This can be done using the aforementioned BBCode! Or, there are buttons along the top of the text editor that also do the trick if you're not in BBCode-only mode.

☆ Adding images: Click the Insert Image button (
) along the top of the text editor. From here, you can either paste the image's URL, or upload one straight from your computer. Please note, if you're uploading images, there is a limit on how many you can include in a post at once, so you may want to use URLs when possible! To use BBCode instead, simply type
☆ Resizing images: If you want to resize an image you're posting, use the code . The height will automatically scale with whatever width you put.
☆ Adding links: Copy the URL you want to link to. Then, you can highlight the text in the post editor you want to direct to it and click the Insert Link button (
) along the top of the text editor. Simply paste the URL in the URL field (you can also add the text here, in the Text field, if you haven't typed anything). To use BBCode instead, type text here. For example, if you type "Join the Marriland Forums!" You'll end up with this: Join the Marriland Forums!

★ How do I set up default post formatting?

You can set up default post formatting using through your user preferences (found by clicking on your username in the top right corner of the page and then clicking on the "preferences" link).

☆ To set a default post color, enter a hex code, rgb value, or color name in the "Custom Post Color" field. You can also click on the rectangle to the right of the text box to bring up a color picker you can use.
☆ To set a default post size, enter a number from 10-16 in the "Custom Post Size" field. If you want to be more precise, you can also use one decimal place (like 12.5).
☆ If you don't like seeing custom formatting around the forums, you can disable it from showing by clicking the "Disable custom formatting" checkbox.
☆ If you have custom formatting set up but you want to use regular formatting in a post, you can put the [default][/default] BB code tags around your entire post and they will cancel out your custom formatting. Any tags you use inside of the [default] tags will work like normal.

★ How can I change my avatar/signature/profile information?

☆ To change your avatar, the quickest way is to click on your username in the top right corner of the page, then hover over your current avatar. You'll see "edit avatar" appear - click on that. Then, just click Choose File to upload a new one from your computer. You can also click "Delete" at the bottom of that popup to simply delete your current avatar and go back to the default.
☆ Animated images and transparent backgrounds are currently supported!

Signatures and Profile Information:

☆ To change your signature, click your username in the top right corner of the page and then click on "Signature" in the dropdown menu. You can also see various other options here to edit other parts of your profile. Double clicking your username will also bring you to Account Details - this is where you can edit your About Me, custom title, and any other information that appears on your profile or next to your forum posts. Navigate the links to the left-hand side of that page to change more private information as well.
☆ Signatures will be cut off if they're taller than 300px, just so that people aren't stretching pages with super long signatures. However, the character limit is very high (30,000 characters), so feel free to put as much formatting, links, and images as you can fit in that space!

Of course, please make sure anything in your avatar, signature, and profile follows our Official Marriland Rules. Anything inappropriate must be removed as soon as it comes to the staff's attention, sometimes without prior notice and accompanied by a warning depending on the severity. If you use common sense, almost all problems can be avoided.

★ When am I allowed to double post?

Double posting (making multiple posts in a row) is one of the most commonly broken rules on our forums. It may seem like a minor issue to some, but regardless it is not allowed! Here are common reasons people double post and what you should do instead:

☆ Do not make another post to add or correct information in your previous post. Just use the edit button on your original post to add what you need to say or make any necessary edits.
☆ Do not make multiple posts to quote/respond to multiple people. Click the Multi Quote button at the bottom of everyone's post you wish to respond to, then go to the text box to make your post and click Insert Quotes at the bottom to put all of them together in one single post. Nice and convenient!
☆ Do not make multiple posts just to get someone's attention, such as when trading. In this case, the best option is to private message them, but please be respectful and courteous when doing so.

The only exceptions to double posting are as follows:

☆ You may double post if at least 24 hours have passed since your last post. However, you may not make a third post in a row after that even if 24 hours have passed, unless the thread belongs to you.
☆ You may post multiple times in a row at the start of your own thread to create reserves for holding any information you may add in the future, or even just to divide information up into multiple posts to look nicer.
☆ Read any Sticky threads pinned at the top of the forum you're posting in to see if any other exceptions exist.

★ Can I delete my thread?

You may delete your own thread by clicking on the "More Options" button (
) at the top right of your thread. Click "Delete thread" in the dropdown menu that appears. However, deleting threads entirely should only be done in extreme cases since they won't be recovered. Staff recommend you simply lock it (select "Close thread" in the dropdown menu) if you don't want any more replies, or simply private message a staff member explaining the situation and let them decide how to handle it. Unless the thread's existence is breaking some serious rules and really needs to be burned, locking is almost always preferable since it prevents any further posts but still preserves it for public viewing.

★ Can I move my thread?

Yes! If you want to move your thread for whatever reason, click on the "More Options" button in the top right corner where you would delete or lock your thread, and click "Move thread." Here, choose the place you want to move it to under "Destination forum." Before clicking Save, you can also choose to leave a redirect if you wish, which just leaves a link to the thread in the old location so users can still find it there. In some cases, a temporary redirect is a good idea since it minimizes confusion.

Keep in mind, just like when you posted the thread in the first place, putting it in a forum it doesn't belong in is against the rules (since it would be off-topic) and can result in a warning. Just take a moment to think about whether or not it makes sense for your thread to be located in the forum you're moving it to, as opposed to other forums.

★ Can I create multiple accounts?

This is not inherently against the rules! Many people create alternate accounts for various reasons, the most common one being so that multiple users can edit threads/posts, such as for events and clubs. However, please do not create multiple accounts for the following reasons:

☆ Evading bans/warnings on another account (this should be obvious).
☆ Trying to convince other users you're a different/new person. This can get incredibly disruptive.
☆ Gaining additional benefits or bypassing limits, such as voting in something more than once, cheating in forum games, or posting in something more than you're allowed... this is just rude and clearly not allowed.

Remember that staff can view IP addresses and can spot alternate accounts from a mile away. If you create an alternate account for any of these reasons, you will receive warnings or bans on ALL accounts that belong to you, so it is just not a good idea.

★ How can I become a moderator?

This is a tricky thing to answer because we only promote users to staff as needed, and we do not make that decision lightly. Only users who have shown exceptional dedication to the forums will be considered. Please do not ask to be promoted - we will reach out ourselves first if there is anyone we have in mind, unless we open up applications, which does not happen often.

These are the three main things we do look out for, however:

☆ Do you have a strong understanding of our rules? It is vital that potential candidates not only adhere to the rules but also understand them thoroughly, because part of a moderator's job is to enforce those rules!
☆ Do you have passion for the forums? Users who show their passion over a long period of time by creating discussion threads, running/hosting successful events, and have fresh ideas and viewpoints also stand out to us because it shows they have a lot of love for the forums, which will help motivate them to keep putting that effort and dedication into the site if they are promoted to a staff position. We want to make sure everyone on staff remains active and will not simply lose interest.
☆ Are you respectful and approachable? A pleasant environment is important to us, so we want staff members to not only be able to keep the peace and alleviate any conflict that may arise, but also remain in control and positive during less-than-ideal situations so that users feel comfortable reaching out to them. And because moderators represent the forums, it is important that their demeanor consistently remains polite, professional, and mature. Of course, we are all human and let emotions get the better of us sometimes, but the distinction is understanding tact and knowing when to walk away or let things go.

There will of course be other determining factors too, such as past experience or how much time you have to offer the site (considering any real life commitments). We really just want users who are serious about making the Marriland Forums a better place, and have shown they can put love into it naturally without any prompting or expectations for anything in return, especially since staff positions are unpaid and very thankless jobs. Please do not feel discouraged or angry if you are never asked - it is nothing personal, especially because these days we do not see the need for more than a handful of people on staff at a time.

★ How can I contact Marriland (the founder of the site)?

Please do not use these forums as an avenue to talk to Marriland. Currently, Marriland does not have private messages enabled on these forums, and he is not directly involved in anything forum-related (outside of legal issues or anything else that would require his intervention). We also do not currently allow users to create posts or make threads here solely to try to get Marriland's attention, since that is almost always going to be Off-topic which breaks our Official Marriland Rules. If you do have something to say to him, he is open to contact on his Twitter and Facebook, and you can also engage with him during his Twitch streams.

★ Finally: Please visit the Marriland Information Database!

The M.I.D. (Marriland Information Database) is a forum that contains a bunch of really useful topics, such as information about forum skins, a list of the current staff with position descriptions and everyone's bio/focus, and how to obtain Badges. Even if you still have questions after reading this post, it is likely they would be explained in that forum.

Click here to go straight to the M.I.D.!

★ Thank you so much for reading!

Remember, we welcome any and all quick Marriland Forum-related questions in this thread, so don't be afraid to ask!

✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮​

Last edited by a moderator:

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
Could someone explain the Marripoints thing? I don't understand the system. Also, I noted that there are badges. Is there a list I could reference?

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
The badge list can be found under the help tab on the navbar. I would link it but I'm on mobile 😅

Marripoints are given when you collect trophies- some trophies give more than others. They don't have any purpose besides that, though.

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
The badge list can be found under the help tab on the navbar. I would link it but I'm on mobile 😅

Marripoints are given when you collect trophies- some trophies give more than others. They don't have any purpose besides that, though.
Thanks! Seems like it's similar to what the Bulbagarden Forums does.

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
League Champion
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Don't worry Chris I've got your back

For reference @Greninjaman the list of badges is here. Also, like it says at the bottom of the OP in this thread, don't forget to check out the Marriland Information Database too whenever you have a question. There's a whole thread dedicated to Badges over there where you can learn more!

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
Don't worry Chris I've got your back

For reference @Greninjaman the list of badges is here. Also, like it says at the bottom of the OP in this thread, don't forget to check out the Marriland Information Database too whenever you have a question. There's a whole thread dedicated to Badges over there where you can learn more!
Thanks.

-Rosen

Bored
AKA
Cleb
It was an interesting thing to have back on the Curse platform (clicking the reply count on a thread led to a popup which showed users who have posted in the thread, sorted by post count; clicking on one of their post counts leads to all of their posts in that thread), and I was curious if that exists in a different way on this platform, since it doesn't seem to be through reply count if there is one

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
It was an interesting thing to have back on the Curse platform (clicking the reply count on a thread led to a popup which showed users who have posted in the thread, sorted by post count; clicking on one of their post counts leads to all of their posts in that thread), and I was curious if that exists in a different way on this platform, since it doesn't seem to be through reply count if there is one
I moved your thread into the Quick Q&A thread since it's a single question and doesn't need its own topic.

As far as I'm aware, this feature doesn't exist on Xenforo like it did on Azurilland. However, if you go to the Search button and then click "This Thread", you can then specify the user you'd like to isolate posts for under By: Member. That should have the same result as the function Azurilland had.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
ohh ok this took me a minute to figure out. i might just be dumb but for anyone else who's confused, the search button is all the way in the top right corner, click that while viewing a thread, then click the dropdown to select "this thread". then you can ofc specify the member. it works!

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Are the new options for status updates only available on PC? I can’t find them on the mobile site.

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Are the new options for status updates only available on PC? I can’t find them on the mobile site.
They should be available. All that should be different is now the full editor should appear (letting you use BB code and smileys) instead of just the single textbox that let you input plain text. Could you post a screenshot showing what it looks like for you?

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
They should be available. All that should be different is now the full editor should appear (letting you use BB code and smileys) instead of just the single textbox that let you input plain text. Could you post a screenshot showing what it looks like for you?

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
It looks like it's not displaying there because those are the widget version of profile comments and not the full version. Going to any person's profile page directly and viewing the comments should have the full editor available.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
I don't see the options either unless I specifically go to my profile to update it, but the bbcode still works if you type it out yourself.

edit: ninjad but ya it should still work fine!

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
It looks like it's not displaying there because those are the widget version of profile comments and not the full version. Going to any person's profile page directly and viewing the comments should have the full editor available.
The full version also appears under the "Latest profile posts" part of the "What's new" page.

Paracosmic

New Trainer
On the old site, there was a challenge limit of three open challenges at any one time. Is this still a thing?

Thundawave

♔ Deja Vu ♔
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
IGN
Regine
On the old site, there was a challenge limit of three open challenges at any one time. Is this still a thing?
Nope! We removed the limit during the transition to the new site. It’s up to you to determine how many challenges you can handle.

robochicken77

Shiny Hunter
AKA
Robo
Time Zone
CST
Is there a good place on the forums to ask about friend safaris? I dont want to post in the wrong place about it!

Thundawave

♔ Deja Vu ♔
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
IGN
Regine
Is there a good place on the forums to ask about friend safaris? I dont want to post in the wrong place about it!
You can post a thread asking about friend safaris in the 3DS Pokémon Games section. Hope this helps!

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
I actually noticed this a while ago, but then it occurred to me that changing it's probably just one line of CSS somewhere.

So, on the Cobalt Two skin, the color of uncolored text and the color of URLs is very similar to each other and it can be hard to tell what's a link and what isn't without squinting. (I hope Biohazard doesn't mind me using the alignment thread as an example, it's what made me think of this.)

Would it be out of the question to make the URLs a bit darker, or something?