Sword/Shield Spoiler Marriland Gym League Discussion

Flo

Seventh Siren
Time Zone
BST
Yo what is good fellas, let me talk at you about an idea I got.

I'm thinking that, thanks mainly to the Gym Uniforms, we can construct an in-game Marriland Gym League. So here's the deets.

1. We get 8 people to act as our gym leaders. Each of them picks a single type, and builds a team using exclusively that type.
  2. Those 8 people will then be selected for an order. They then build their team according to the difficulty. So the 1st gym leader has an easier team than the 8th.
  3. The Gym Leaders are able to select any stipulations they want for their battle. They can select double battles, no Dynamaxing, anything they want within reason.
  4. We'll have a 9th person act as our Champion. This person can only be challenged once you have defeated the 8 Gym Leaders. The Champion can use whatever team they want, and the challenger will have to bring their best for their no-trick battle!

So, I'm here to hear your thoughts and opinions, as well as see how much interest we got for this. Lemme know!

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
This sounds like a fun idea! How would gym leaders be chosen?

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Dang this reminds me of something back in marriland about 5 years ago wtf!! It was a really cool system that had auditions for new gym leaders by the gym leader needing to beat the gym leader type they were weak to in a 6 vs 4 format.

Yeah I love this idea and want to see it work out

Flo

Seventh Siren
Time Zone
BST
This sounds like a fun idea! How would gym leaders be chosen?
Honestly, considering how small the current playerbase of console Sw/Sh is, I'd be just asking for volunteers. If we eventually get to a point where we have too many people interested, I would say something like a Major and Minor League, where people can practice against a Gym Type and the Minor Gym Leader can challenge the Major Gym Leader for the position.
Dang this reminds me of something back in marriland about 5 years ago wtf!! It was a really cool system that had auditions for new gym leaders by the gym leader needing to beat the gym leader type they were weak to in a 6 vs 4 format.

Yeah I love this idea and want to see it work out
Ty babs xoxo

Eevee

Royale/Taller Lizzy
AKA
Lizzy (Taller); Royale; Raere
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
SW-6769-1098-6000
I call grass leader:mrgreenazurill:

I love this idea, it does seem like a very fun idea. Though I guess a question would be: would it be all lv. 100 teams or, as you said, a progression type thing (ie. 1st gym is level ~15, 2nd is ~25, etc). I think level 100 could be fun but might turn more into a full-on competitive mode rather than casual/fun.

-Rosen

Bored
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Cleb
I call grass leader:mrgreenazurill:

I love this idea, it does seem like a very fun idea. Though I guess a question would be: would it be all lv. 100 teams or, as you said, a progression type thing (ie. 1st gym is level ~15, 2nd is ~25, etc). I think level 100 could be fun but might turn more into a full-on competitive mode rather than casual/fun.
The last time we did something like this we just did entirely Lv.100 teams, and people could run through badges in any order they pleased.

Speaking to the idea in general, I'm a fan of it and I think it would be cool, however there would have to be a lot of planning involved for something like this, since you're effectively working on the schedules of 10* different people at any given time (gyms + champion + participant), which can be very difficult to manage.

The issues issue beyond that are arguably much more important though, the first being how to organize a league thread in the forum setting. When I and a couple others organized something similar to this in 2012 we ended up trying to use one thread for each gym, and it failed pretty spectacularly, and subsequently ended up getting shut down after just a few weeks. In the same token, it might still prove quite difficult to condense everything into a single thread.

Second is the size of the community in relation to the league. Now, I don't know all that much about the size of the community here these days as I haven't been as active, however taking a quick glance at the online member/guest list suggests to me that the community is likely a similar size to Pre-Curse Marriland, perhaps a bit smaller depending on how many regulars are around now. I'm only worried about that because in terms of gathering people to serve the gyms, as well as getting participants consistently, is next to impossible at this scale. *We ended up having to double up two or three gym leaders just to fill out the 8, and even then we only ever had maybe two or three participants total before we were shut down. I imagine trying to get enough people here would pose a similar challenge.

Overall I think the idea works well in larger communities, but I'm unsure if it would be able to stay afloat in one the size of Marriland. Maybe I'm wrong and the battling community is larger than it was when we tried, in which case I'd be more than happy to see this idea come about in the future.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I like the idea, but similar to Clebby I'm somewhat worried about activity and interest. It'd be sick, but 8 leaders + a champion might make it somewhat hard to keep afloat.

I do think there can be solutions though - maybe a league of 6 gyms if we can't get 8 people? Or maybe we do things like in-game SwSh and have a tournament of gym leaders to determine who the champion is? We can brainstorm when the problems arise.

Anyways, I'd totally be down for something like this.

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
Sounds fun! I'd be willing to participate as long as it's designed in a way that's friendly for more casual players.

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Sounds fun tho. However, please keep in mind that not everyone here are competitive players, so please make it enjoyable for casual folks too.

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Tho yeah I think a free form tournament to decide the leaders would be a cool idea. Depending on their placement, they can pick the type they'd want to defend. 1st place being champion and 2nd place getting the choice between all the types. Or something in that energy

Eevee

Royale/Taller Lizzy
AKA
Lizzy (Taller); Royale; Raere
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
SW-6769-1098-6000
Activity is a worrisome thing. I know the competitive boards are active for the handful of people that actually do love that side of the game and then there's a lot of casual players/just casual Marrilanders on the boards that they like. Not to mention, how many people actually own Sword/Shield or how many are having to wait for the holidays to get it? I suppose you could always just gauge interest now and then set the "start" date for a later time.

Then there is the issue brought up between mixing competitive and casual players together. You want to make it enjoyable for the competitive bois, but also fun enough that you get casual players to join in too. I think keeping it simple is fine, as the preliminary idea, but you can't really take the competition out of the competitive players - and that's just a people thing, not something easily fixed on the forum imo. :winkazurill: Though honestly, I don't think this would even be a big issue - I think it could easily be fun for all (but I'm coming from a casual perspective, not competitive). The only way I see it being any sort of discrepancy is with the champion title - especially if it's no hold barred, no restrictions, basically an online competitive brawl where competitive players would most likely have the upper hand/knowledge.
Also on the topic of restrictions, that could be like the gym "missions" as it's been stated, where maybe gym leaders can have up to 3 (example, could be more or less) rules/restrictions [eg. no using items, no x type Pokemon, no hold items, no dynamaxing, no switching, no set-up moves, etc]. Maybe the champion can have 1 rule/restriction set by the host of the whole thing? Could potentially make it more approachable for casual players (so like, no items or no set-up moves or no switching might make it seem more friendly to casual players).

I think everything taking place on one thread would be fine, especially now that people can be @'d. Maybe just a post in the beginning to reserve for linking to challenges to the gym, battle results, etc. Or, a post reserved at the beginning for each gym and then having the subsequent links to challenges, battles, etc.

To start, I would say gauge interest and see who'd want to volunteer to be a gym leader or champion. Some people might wanna be gym leaders, but say nah to wanting the champion title and vice versa. If you get 2+ people wanting to be champion, then have them go for an all-out brawl or fight of some sort. If there are 8 people (or 6, depending on interest/activity) wanting to be gym leaders, perfect; but if 2+ people want the same type, maybe a type battle? They can only use the type they both want in a wet noodle fight against the other.
Also maybe the loser of the initial champion brawl gets the opportunity to either choose to challenge a gym for the title of gym leader or they can just run the circuit themselves to try and get the champion title.

And it doesn't have to be a consistent thing, maybe there will be days-long, weeks-long, months-long breaks where there are no challengers. The people that are the designated gym leaders/champions just gotta be ready. Maybe have some sort of activity check every x days/weeks - a simple "yo, you still alive?" in Discord/PM perhaps.

Last edited: