MarriPlays: Pokémon Black 2 and White 2

Rainbow Rocket Grunt

Team Rocket Grunt
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Aimee, Lulu, LuluRina, Rina, ALL HAIL GIOVANNI!
Time Zone
GMT+11
IGN
Lulu
I personally have always counted two places of the same name to be one area, despite the encounter differences.

Reactions: SAF

Pendraflare

Guardian
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
For a place like say Pinwheel Forest, Reversal Mountain or Kalos Route 8 where both areas have obviously different stuff, I would consider them two areas. But with an area like the Virbank Complex or the Relic Passage where there's not as much different, that I consider one area. But that's just me.

Reactions: SAF

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
Alright made it to Castelia. Because I'm not doing a nuzlocke or challenge or anything like that I dont see a need to keep a log or anything, since nothing interesting happens and we're all playing the same game so we all know whats happening. But! Here's the current team situation:
Flump - :hoppip: - Level 15 - Chlorophyll - Lax Nature - (Poisonpowder, Synthesis, Stun Spore, Tackle)
Boris - :spheal: - Level 15 - Thick Fat - Gentle Nature - (Defense Curl, Powder Snow, Ice Ball, Water Gun)
Steel Spud - :aron: - Level 16 - Rock Head - Gentle Nature - (Metal Claw, Iron Defense, Mud Slap, Headbutt)

Got my 2nd badge as well, and once I've beaten Burgh I plan to take my 4th Team Member out of the PC. The 5th Team Member after Clay and the 6th after Drayden. Gotta keep it interesting y'know?
Also question of the day answer: God, Pokestar studios is a funny concept but if something's optional we shouldn't have to have it shoved down our throats. Only have to do the tutorial once though so I can't complain that much. I have gone through every movie when trying to get all the trainer card stars on Black 2 though. When you're doing them on purpose its a lot more fun.

LRachelR5

Junior Trainer
Update Two:
After doing some training with Natasha I headed to the Castelia City gym and I got through it rather easily between Natasha and Steve taking out the Levannys, Swadloons, Sewaddles and Combees whilst Tony was able to deal with the Dwebbles that were around. When I left the gym and headed to Route 4 I met Colress who said that he wanted us to battle and I was able to easily beat him with Steve and Natasha who each had fighting type moves to deal with his various steel types. Whilst going through the Desert Resort I decided to pick up a Sandslash for just in case I had a problem against Elesa. Once I beat all the trainers and collected all the items I headed to Join Avenue and agreed to run it before finally arriving in Nimbasa City. I do a little bit of training around in places like Route 16 and the stadiums in Nimbasa. When this was done I headed to the Gym and beat Elesa with relative ease, not needing to use Sandslash at all. I then headed to Lostlorne Forest where I caught Loki the Roselia before heading through Route 5 to Driftveil City. Loki pretty much soloed the entire Gym only falling to Clay's half health Excadrill so Steve was able to finish the job. Before heading into the PTW I headed into the Relic Passage and into the depths of the Relic Castle where I found Banner the Baltoy as well as taking out Volcarona for a little EXP. The PTW was easy to get through with how strong my team was now. After this, I headed to the Plasma Frigate with Bucky and Cheren where we took on some of the Team Plasma Grunts. When this was finished with I headed back through Route 6 collecting Surf off of Cheren before going back to some previous places, such as collecting the TM for Giga Drain for Loki and the TM for Rock Slide in the Guidance Chamber.

Chargestone Cave was not difficult to get through in order to reach Mistralton City. Before taking on the Gym I headed through Route 7 being able to evolve Tony and Banner along the way before reaching the Celestial Tower where I met Juniper and fought the trainers there. I then got through the gym with ease because of giving Natasha Ice Punch when I was in Driftveil City, I only really had issues with Skyla's Skarmory. After this, we headed to Lentimas Town in Skyla's plane. I cleared the Strange House and collected the TM for Shadow Ball before heading into Reversal Mountian with Bianca, once through there at Undella Town I quickly headed to Route 14 where I caught Thor the Altaria before beating Bucky back in Undella Town. I took out Coballion before arriving in Lacunosa Town where I heard about a Pokemon that fell from a Meteor that apparently eats people!

After this I continued on my way to Opelucid City, once there I take some time to train and think about how to take out Drayden effectively. I'll probably have the game finished this week so I will post again after the next checkpoint goes up in which I should update with the Gym Fight, the Team Plasma arc, Gym Eight and getting through Victory Road and the Pokemon League but I also intend to update through the Postgame because I haven't played it before.

Team

Tony
Level: 41
Held Item: Mystic Water
Moveset:
  • Megahorn
  • Blizzard
  • Surf
  • Razor Shell

Loki
Level: 42
Nature: Timid
Ability: Natural Cure
Held Item: Miracle Seed
Moveset:
  • Giga Drain
  • Shadow Ball
  • Energy Ball
  • Venoshock

Thor
Level: 43
Nature: Bashful
Ability: Natural Cure
Held Item: Draco Plate
Moveset:
  • Aerial Ace
  • Fly
  • Dragon Dance
  • Dragon Breath

Banner
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Levitate
Held Item: Leftovers
Moveset:
  • Earth Power
  • Shadow Ball
  • Rock Slide
  • Psychic

Natasha
Held Item: Silk Scarf
Moveset:
  • Jump Kick
  • Ice Punch
  • Quick Attack
  • Return

Steve
Held Item: Expert Belt
Moveset:
  • Bulldoze
  • Rock Slide
  • Shadow Ball
  • Force Palm

QOTW: I tend to only do the tutorials of Pokestar Studios nothing more it just isn't something I have been interested in

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
It's been a long 8 weeks, but at long last I have beaten Black 2!

...wait, you're telling me it's only been 11 days since we've started? oh, uh, this is awkward

QotW: I mean, this is my first time playing the game but it seems interesting just from the tutorial that I had to do and the bits and pieces I've seen of it before playing B2. Maybe I'll do some of it during the post-game, idk.

Mystical

Ysabel
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
End of week 1 AKA finally beating Cheren!
This time I'm going with more of a strategy than the other two times I battled Cheren. The first time I tried to battle him with only Pudge the Oshawott. Chip the Azurill was at level 6 and useless either way. I caught a Riolu for the second battle on Floccesy Ranch and named him Goofy. But it was at low level and I still couldn't beat Cheren. For this third battle I trained Goofy a bit more, up to LV 10.

Here is how it went:

Pudge :oshawott: (LV 14) vs :patrat: (LV 11)

:oshawott:Focus Energy
:patrat:Tackle (Pudge is in the green zone)
-
:oshawott:Water Gun (Patrat's health is a little higher than half)
:patrat:Tackle (Pudge's health is left a little higher than half too but a bit higher than Patrat's)
-
:oshawott:Tackle (Patrat's health is left in the low orange zone)
:patrat:Tackle (Pudge's health is left in mid-orange)
-
:patrat:Drinks Potion! (health recovers to high green, but the bar isn't full)
:oshawott:Water Gun (critical hit! Patrat faints!)

Goofy :riolu: (LV 10) vs :lillipup: (LV 13)

:lillipup:Work-Up
:riolu:Counter (No effect)
-
:lillipup:Tackle (Goofy's health is lowered to less than half of his health)
:riolu:Counter (Lillipup faints!)
Pudge :oshawott: LV 14
Sassy Nature -- Quick to flee
Ability: Torrent
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Water Gun
-Focus Energy

Goofy :riolu: LV 11
Impish Nature -- Sturdy body
Ability: Inner Focus
-Foresight
-Quick Attack
-Feint
-Counter

Chip :azurill: LV 6
Adamant Nature -- Likes to fight
Ability: Huge Power
-Splash
-Bubble
-Tail Whip
-Water Sport
I have to admit Cheren was tough, but I liked the plan I came up with (wasn't thaat much of a plan, maybe, but it worked). I didn't train Chip much, but it may come in handy for later, so I won't give it up. It's currently weaker than the other two, but his ability looks nice, at least. Or maybe I'm just being unfair with our forum's mascot xD

Last edited:

Revan

Wound in the Force
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Ravey, Steve
Time Zone
US Central Time
Riju evolved in Virbank Complex after fighting an Audino
vs. Roxie: Riju 2HKO Koffing w/ Thundershock. Whirlipede used Venoshock, I Paralyzed with Thunder Wave. Riju died to a Crit. Hebra used Razor Shell but got Poisoned from Poison Point w/ 12 HP left. I used Fresh Water but lost bc Venoshock + Poison.
Rematch:
Hebra took down Koffing but died to Poison Sting after getting Poisoned. I Paralyzed Whirlipede and then Charged up a Thundershock.

Hebra :oshawott: (M)
Lv. 18 Calm w/ Torrent
Tackle, Tail Whip, Water Gun, Razor Shell

Riju :flaaffy: (F)
Lv. 19 Bold w/ Static
Tackle, Charge, Thunder Wave, Thundershock

QOTW: It never appealed to me and no.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
I finished week 2!

• I caught a Koffing at the Virbank Complex and nicknamed it Libra. For what it's worth, I treated the entire complex, inside and outside, as one encounter. Shame I didn't get Growlithe as my first encounter though; it would've been nice to have a third Pokemon to use going into my battle with Roxie. I did see one while I was training in preparation for my battle with her, but it wasn't my first encounter, so I couldn't catch it.
• For the question of the week, I've never done PokeStar Studios outside of the tutorial stuff. I kinda rushed my first playthrough of White 2 because I was playing the 5th gen games so I could say I played them before gen 6 dropped. I'd taken a break from Pokemon after gen 4, but I still wanted to play gen 5 before I got into gen 6, even though it doesn't really matter since the stories don't connect region to region. Maybe with this playthrough, I'll do some more with PokeStar Studios, but I doubt it.

Bianca met me outside of the Aspertia City gym. She congratulated me and gave me TM Return too! Cheren also came outside while we were talking, and both of them registered themselves in my Xtransciever so I can call them whenever I needed to. They also registered Professor Juniper, and the four of us talked briefly before Bianca gave me the C-Gear and we went our separate ways.

Bianca and I reunited just as I was about to leave Floccesy Town to head back to Route 20, and she upgraded my Pokedex to have the Habitat List. Cheren also caught up with me on Route 20, and he gave Hugh and me some Pecha Berries.

I arrived at Virbank City, and after resting for a bit, I went to the Virbank Complex. I was able to trade with someone there to get a Great Ball in exchange for one of my many Poke Balls. I guess that's useful since Great Balls are better anyways, and I'm not able to use a lot of my Poke Balls anyways because of some mysterious force that stops me from catching Pokemon every once in a while. He said I could trade with him again tomorrow, so maybe I'll take him up on that if I'm not on my way to Castelia City by then. At the Virbank Complex, I ran into a Koffing, and I caught her, nicknaming her Libra. That weird, mysterious force stopped me from using her though, so I just deposited her into the PC. I also agreed to help get the Virbank Complex's workers fired up; I figured it'd be nice to get some extra training in before I challenged Virbank's gym. For getting them all fired up, I got TM Rock Smash. A scientist there also gave me an Ether when I showed some kinda interest in what he was saying. To be completely honest, I wasn't really paying attention to what he was saying, but hey, a free item's a free item.

Kai evolved into a Dewott, and then I went on to challenge Roxie at her gym. Unfortunately, Kai was lost in the fight, but Breeze and I were able to defeat Roxie and earn the Toxic Badge and TM Venoshock. I was forced to put Kai in the PC when I went to the Pokemon Center to rest again by the same mysterious force that's kept me from using some of the Pokemon I've captured. This is really unfortunate too, I only have Breeze by my side now... I really need to catch some more Pokemon I can use soon. If I lose Breeze, my Pokemon journey may come to an end, and it's only just beginning...

I pressed forward though and traveled to the PokeStar Studios since I was invited there. I got a tour and learned about making and viewing movies. It all sounded so interesting, but I wanted to continue onward to try and add a new friend to my team so that it wouldn't just be me and Breeze against the world. I had to watch the ship captain's movie though, and it was okay at best. Even the crowd didn't seem to thrilled by it all. I got an opportunity to film a movie after meeting with the studio's owner, Mr. Stu Deeoh, and the crowd liked my rendition of Riolu Girl than the captain's rendition of Riolu Man. I guess I'm a good actor, I dunno.

When I got back to the docks in Virbank City, I saw Roxie and Hugh talking to some Team Plasma grunts. We fight them and win, much to Roxie's pleasure, because she was worried about her Pokemon being stolen. Roxie gives me HM Cut as thanks, and we chase them to Route 20. I manage to scare them off again when I defeat them yet again in battle. Good thing Breeze is a tough bird, and we can handle things on our own.

I go back to Virbank City and board the ship to Castelia City. Hugh registers himself in my Xtransciever upon arrival, and then he presses forward to chase after Team Plasma. When I get into the city, I'm met by a clown who gives me a Bicycle and asks me to participate in the Harlequin Hunt. I'm not gonna lie, I tuned most of him out because I was so tired from the day's events. Maybe I'll do this Harlequin Hunt tomorrow, but for now, I'm just gonna take a rest and let Breeze rest too. We've had a tough day, and we deserve a good rest.

Breeze the Pidove

Kai the Dewott (Defeated by Roxie's Whirlipede.)

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
Alright, so, I wrapped up most of the post-game yesterday. I can still do stuff like PokeStudios, Black Tower and PWT, but otherwise I'm done the game now, having run all over Unova and beating the E4 in the rematch.
But, y'know, one playthrough just doesn't seem like enough. Why don't I go ahead and try a second one? I'll actually write up a story for this one!
So I "delete" my save file and start Black 2 anew. The game starts as normal. I name myself ~Kilza~, I leave the rival as Hugh, blah blah blah, lots of text I've already seen. Skipping ahead, let's go talk to Bianca and choose a Pokemon!

hmm, I've picked Oshawott for both my Black playthrough and first Black 2 playthrough. Why don't I go with Snivy this time?

I don't really have a nickname for it, so I'll just leave it as Snivy for now. Well, now I guess I'll save and then face Hu-what the heck my screen just went black??? okay, weird, I'll just reset.

hmm, this seems normal...

Okay, well, this still seems normal. Let's check my Pokemon, I guess, make sure Snivy's okay.

Well there's my Sni-what? What happened to Snivy??? Why is it now an Archen...

...I have an Archen now. >:)

That's right. It's time for a solo Archeops run. Time to conquer Unova with the #1 fossil Pokemon!

:archeops:

(there will be no actual story BTW, I just wanted to set this up)

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
can be whatever
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Week 2 is done here. :yayazurill:
  • Trod his way back to Route 20, this time turning right to Virbank City
  • Bianca and Cheren told him more about stuffs (I love Cheren's animation during his part)
  • Met Roxie, Virbank's gym leader, as soon as he arrived at Virbank City
  • Got Cepheus the violinist :magby: boy inside Virbank Complex
  • Trained everyone in the complex
  • Went into Roxie's band studio which doubles as the gym
  • Fought Roxie's bandmates before dealing with the bassist-vocalist herself (unfortunately, Taro :oshawott: broke his violin while fighting one of them)
Roxie | Chitose
:koffing: | Bok Choy :patrat:
  • - (sleeping) | Hypnosis
  • Assurance | Tackle
  • Tackle | Tackle
  • Tackle | Tackle
  • Super Potion to :koffing: | Fresh Water to Bok Choy :patrat:
  • - (sleeping) | Crunch
  • - (sleeping) | Crunch
  • - (broke the viola) | Crunch
:whirlipede: | Cepheus :magby:
  • Venoshock | Fire Spin
  • Protect | Ember (missed)
  • Venoshock | Ember
  • Protect | Ember (missed)
  • - (broke the viola) | Fire Spin
  • Got the Toxic Badge and TM Venoshock from Roxie
  • Made his actor debut at Pokestar Studio as the Riolu Kid
  • Chased after some Team Plasma grunts down Route 20
  • Set sail to Castelia City
  • Did the Castelia Harlequin Hunt
  • Hunted for some more Team Plasma Grunts in Castelia Sewers (I'll save my encounter here for later, when Ryuji doesn't tag along)
  • Scallion :sewaddle: evolved into :swadloon: while cornering the baddies
  • Got HM Strength from Ryuji
  • Got Virgo the cellist :woobat: girl in Relic Passage and Corvus the violist :zubat: boy in Castelia Sewers
  • Bok Choy :patrat: broke his viola during the Pokemon hunt
  • Encountered :eevee: in Castelia Park only to knock it out (I hate to admit this, but it's a real pain in the neck)
Violin
:magby: Cepheus (Boy)
Level: 19
Ability: Flame Body
Nature: Calm
Moves: Fire Spin, Faint Attack, Ember, Clear Smog

Viola
:swadloon: Scallion (Boy)
Level: 20
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Lax
Moves: Tackle, Protect, Bug Bite, Razor Leaf

:zubat: Corvus (Boy)
Level: 15
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Brave
Moves: Supersonic, Astonish, Bite, Wing Attack

Cello
:woobat: Virgo (Girl)
Level: 18
Ability: Klutz
Nature: Docile
Moves: Odor Sleuth, Gust, Assurance, Heart Stamp
Violin
:oshawott: Taro (Boy)

Viola
:patrat: Bok Choy (Boy)

QOTW: Pokestar Studio, huh? I'm not really a big fan of movies (both in Pokemon world and irl), so it's not really appealing for me. :upsidedownazurill:

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
@SAF: Yeah, Lillipup doesn't learn any moves that are useful outside of battle, unfortunately. Not even Thief or something. Still, a Stone Age society doesn't just need hunters, it also needs gatherers, so he'll still be able to contribute with Pickup! :p

Alright, here's my update for week 2!

• After beating Cheren, Bianca gives us the TM for Return. We also unlock the ability to have our friendship levels evaluated via the Xtransceiver, which allows me to replace Tackle with Return on each of my Pokemon at the best time.
  • We head back to Route 20, where I catch a male Dunsparce :dunsparce:. Why, you ask? I dunno, I thought it would be fun. I consider naming the little guy Serpens, or 'snake', but that seems a bit too easy. Instead, I go for Caelum after the similarly named constellation, which means 'chisel' or 'graving tool'. (This run is starting to look like a Mono Snek challenge)
  • We head on to Virbank City, where we see Roxie fighting with her dad.
  • We catch a male Magby :magby: in the Virbank Complex. I can't really find a constellation that seems to suit him, so I name him Napoleon instead.
  • I train up my team to level 17 and then I go on to challenge Roxie.
I lead with Dunsparce :dunsparce: against Roxie and set up one Defense Curl, which will both decrease the damage her Pokemon will deal to me as well as double the power of Rollout. Even though Rollout misses a few times and Roxie heals up Koffing :koffing: with a Super Potion once, Dunsparce manages to knock it out while only receiving minor damage himself. The next Rollout in the sequence takes out her Whirlipede :whirlipede: in one hit, earning us the Toxic Badge!

• I go through the Pokestar Studios tutorial.
  • We have a run-in with some Team Plasma grunts, who take off after being chased onto Route 20.
  • We set sail towards Castelia City on the boat of Roxie's dad.
  • I do some minor exploring of Castelia City, taking out the Battle Company trainers among other things.
  • I head towards the Castelia Sewers, where Hugh and I team up to chase out some Team Plasma grunts.
  • I catch a female Onix in the Relic Passage. I name her Pyxis, or 'compass', because Steelix' moving sprite somewhat reminds me of the needle of a compass. (MONO SNEK INTENSIFIES).

I later realized I actually got kinda lucky to find an Onix in the first dust cloud. After all, I only had one Repel and I can't buy any items for this challenge, so if I hadn't found one before the Repel wore off, it might have gotten tricky to even find a dust cloud again.
:servine:
Asparagus the Servine (♂)
Nature: Gentle
Ability: Overgrow
Item: Miracle Seed
Moveset:
Return
Growth
Leech Seed
Leaf Tornado

:dunsparce:
Caelum the Dunsparce (♂)
Nature: Lonely
Ability: Serene Grace
Item: Silk Scarf
Moveset:
Ancientpower
Defense Curl
Return
Rollout

:magby:
Napoleon the Magby (♂)
Nature: Calm
Ability: Flame Body
Moveset:
Clear Smog
Ember
Thief
Faint Attack

:onix:
Pyxis the Onix (♀)
Nature: Naughty
Ability: Rock Head
Item: Hard Stone
Moveset:
  • Rock Throw
  • Rock Polish
  • Rock Tomb
  • Stealth Rock

:lillipup:
Rocket the Lillipup (♂)
Level: 21
Nature: Bold
Ability: Pickup
Moveset:
  • Leer
  • Return
  • Take Down
  • Bite

QOTW: I actually quite like the Pokestar Studios! I did some of the movies on an earlier playthrough, but not nearly all of them. The movie scripts are actually some cool little puzzles if you take the time to do them. I don't blame anyone for not playing through the Studios though, since the tutorial is just so boring, especially as they make you watch the same movie twice (once with Pop Roxie, once with yourself) and the movie script is so easy.

Still, I'd recommend checking it out if you haven't already! I'll probably try some more of the movies myself as well, since our playing rate allows for it pretty well.

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
So I beat Black 2 again, this time with just my boy Archeops. Only took 2 days, lol. Got the first 6 badges yesterday along with EV training Archeops for Attack/Speed, then the final 2 badges + story + E4 today.

It was a pretty fun and easy run, except for 3 tricky spots. First was the first battle against Colress, where I couldn't OHKO his Magnemite, so it'd get Thunder Wave off, which paralyzed Archeops and led to a world of hurt. Eventually ended up using Rock Smash and a Cheri Berry to get past Magnemite and Klink. This was at Lv. 24.

Second, the gym battle against Elesa, where even though I had EV trained Archeops' speed up beforehand her Zebstrika managed to outspeed and kill Archeops, necessitating some grinding (Lv. 31 -> Lv. 33). Even then, at Lv. 33, it only managed to tie her Zebstrika speed-wise (78 speed), so it took a couple of tries until I was able to get Dig off first, lol.

After that it was mostly smooth sailing, especially as the level difference grew, but the third and final difficulty was Colress' 2nd fight, which was a challenge because of Magneton and Magnezone having Sturdy, plus Klingklang having an Air Balloon. This made things difficult since I had no way of OHKOing them, leaving Archeops in a dangerous position where they could get Defeatist to trigger or straight up OHKO it even though the level difference was 23 or so (Archeops was Lv. 72-73 iirc). Thankfully on my successful attempt I got some RNG luck on my side as Rock Slide made Klingklang and Magnezone both flinch, which effectively ended up being the difference.

But, yeah, Archeops basically made Unova his *****, lol. I ended up deciding to do EV training for it after I got the Macho Brace, which helped it out, since I ended up with 252 EVs in Attack and 228 EVs in Speed, which meant Archeops could move first and beat up almost everything in its path, lol. Definitely enjoyed destroying almost everything with #1 fossil Pokemon.
Anyways, B2 has been fun! I enjoyed both runs I did of it. Pretty good game, easily in my top 5 Pokemon games. I won't do another run of Black 2 while MarriPlays is ongoing and probably won't for a long while (hi backlog), though I'll likely do some more stuff with the two runs I did.

Bones Barlow

Ghost with the Most
AKA
Bones
Time Zone
EST/GMT -5
3DS FC
5370-0907-5084
Switch FC
SW-0851-1998-5587
Week 2
This week was a little more eventful than last. I caught the second member of my team, a Koffing named Gemini. Weezing is one of my favorite Gen 1 Pokemon, but I've never used it for some reason, so into the team it goes. Pepper also evolved into a Pignite, and the two of them teamed up to take on Roxie and her Gym. It was slightly rough at first, but we all came out with our second badge. From there. it was standard stuff up until our arrival in Castelia: stardom, beating up goons, my first HM buddy (a Sewaddle for Cut), the works.

For this week's question, I've got mixed-but-mostly-positive feelings on Pokestar Studios. The concept is fun, and I do like going through all of the movies, but the tutorial is all kinds of unfun and I've never had the motivation to finish all of the movies. Who knows, maybe since this playthrough is being paced, I'll be the Pokestar I was born to be.

:pignite:Pepper
Female
Level 18
Blaze
Gentle Nature
Flame Charge|Arm Thrust|Tail Whip|Odor Sleuth

:koffing: Gemini
Male
Level 16
Levitate
Impish Nature
Venoshock|Tackle|Poison Gas|Assurance

Moonwatcher

/人◕‿‿◕人\
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Shruikan, Moon, ScrollWyrm
Time Zone
BST
(Forgot to mention last time: I did the Memory Link with my original playthrough of White, And I'm playing with the Set battle style.)

Update 2:

A weird blonde lady gave Yune a smart-watch! And her phone number? (Kinda strange, but ok?)
But then, the watch wouldn’t even turn on! Totally lame! Worst gift ever. D:<
It keeps saying that the Nintendo WiFi Connection is no longer supported!

Back to the fields again. Luckily we didn’t find any of the Sunkern’s creepy family or anything this time.
Speaking of that Sunkern, she appears to have stolen the badge from the last gym. I though I was a good thief, but no-one but me seems to have even noticed the badge is gone yet… I’d better keep an eye on her.

New adventure! We took a side path off the route from before, heading up the mountains. But then a big muscley guy tried to stand in our way. Since the others were tired from the battle before, I took him on. I need to prove that I was just as good as the others. And I was. It was easy!

After that Jim came back with the scary guy in tow, and told Yune about how the darker grass is different or something?

Anyway, people kept stopping us again and again, and they all wanted to fight us! But I was strong, and they all ran away. It turns out that when they lose, they give Yune paper tickets which she swapped for cool stuff at the red magic building. So I’m happy to keep fighting for Yune.

Oh, oh! City! A real life City! Shops and cars and metal and roads and air pollution and people! (/◕ヮ◕)/
There were some people arguing about something! And some workers in a factory were on strike! And there was the sea! So much water!!! @ ‿@

OK, so yeah. We reached a city, the sign said it was called Virbank. Places like this are sure to have lots of unsuspecting suckers, but I was so used to the green fields that all these buildings freaked me out.

The Mareep looked like she was having a epileptic fit or something. Bouncing around from one thing to another. Anyone would think she was at a theme park.

Trainer Girl is so naive. Some guy claimed that his workers needed motivation, and asked her to go fight them, and she actually accepted! No questions, not a word of payment in return, nothing! This is like scam 101!

The Mareep was barely paying attention to where she was walking. Well, walking’s the wrong word, more like bounce-juddering along like a pebble in an earthquake. I had to physically drag her out of the way when a small Elekid leaped at her. It must have been attracted by the static in her wool. And of course, the trainer took this opportunity to add another worthless member to the jolly group of best friends.

It was a perfectly normal day at the factory. I’d foraged some food, partially from the workers lunches, and was just going for a siesta, when I saw the fluffiest thing pass by. I just had to grab it. It was so soft and electric, kinda like the best pillow ever, fused with a marshmallow. But then the fluff was dragged out of my grasp by a red and white contraption, which sucked me inside.
It turns out a trainer had caught me. Eh, it’s not like my life’ll change much by it. Plus that contraption is the perfect place to relax. She gave me the name Fiona and then returned me to my new bed.

So since there was three workers, we each took one of them. I handled mine pretty well. So did Ilyana.
Then Lethe fought hers, but the pokemon’s heat burned her paw. Then she was hit by it and went up in flames! I was so scared. Lethe just lay unmoving with flames licking over her. Ilyana continued the fight while I ran over to put out the fire, but the burns were terrible. I really hope that Yune can help her…

Lethe got hurt by that Magby, so I took over. I totally pwned them, but I couldn’t enjoy the victory. I was feeling really worried about Lethe. She looked in really bad condition ;_;
I was worrying so much that my hair started falling out! :O Or at least I thought that at first. My skin was weird and pink underneath. Then I realised I was walking on my hind legs without having noticed. I’d evolved! 0_0
It’s totally strange! I’m not sure I like it yet. I guess I have hands now? Or mitten hands or whatever.
Anyway, Lethe was in real trouble. But we got back to the red building with the healing machine. She stayed in there for way longer than normal… but in the end she came out just fine! :D And then me and Edward both glomped her. I’m so happy she’s all right! ^ω^

Everything went black for a moment. I though maybe this was it, and I was going to die. But my injuries were healed. Well, mostly anyway. My paw still hurt slightly. I must have been taken the to Pokemon Center.
When I left my ball, the annoying Tepig and a Flaafy leaped at me. The Tepig was blubbering, but I didn’t have the heart to snap at him like I usually would.
The Flaffy was a different matter. I assumed it was that Mareep from before, but friend or not, a mouthful of static wool is not pleasant.
After prying the sheep of my face, I saw that even the creepy seed looked a bit more concerned than normal. Probably needs me for it’s nefarious plans or something.
Wait, did I say friend earlier? Strike that. I meant acquaintance.

Anyway, after the others had let me go, our trainer took us aside. She had those discs from earlier, including one I hadn’t seen before, which she gave to me. I didn’t know what she was expecting at first, but as my still slightly burned paw touched the disc, something ran through me, like a jolt of electricity. When it left my claws, Somehow I knew about a new move. I’m not one to believe in magic, but that thing came pretty darn close.

So next we needed to fight another Jim? A relative to the first maybe? This one was part of a band. We had to fight her band members before she would challenge us. But the drummer was tough, we only just beat him, so Yune took us back to the factory place to train.
After a while I felt stronger, and there was a tingling feeling. I’d heard about this from my time with Bianca. I was going to evolve!
But I don’t want to get stronger just because I evolved. I want to prove that I can help people without any extra powers. Plus I’d heard that un-evolved pokemon get stronger faster.. It was hard, but I managed to push down the tingling.
It happened a few more times, but each time I stopped it. I’m going to get stronger as I am. Then Yune will see how special I am.

So the gym battle was up next. I was sitting this one out, to let my paw fully heal. The Tepig was to be backup, coming in after the Mareep, sorry, the Flaafy had weakened them.
Yeah, that didn’t happen.
The Flaafy shot down the leaders pokemon one by one. It was like the inverse of her last gym fight. No time spend in staredowns, just continuous sparks of lightning. The Tepig looked kinda down about not getting to fight, so I tried to comfort him. Not my best idea; it ended with him crying tears of joy(?) and hugging me again.

Boom, another gym down! Second verse, same as the first! :D Evolving has really made me über strong! Like, before I was an adorable ball of floof, but now I’m a spiky-haired emo martial artist shonen protagonist!
LOL, I can’t keep a straight face even thinking that.(^v^) I guess my sparks are stronger now cause they don’t get stuck in my fleece now?
Anyway, that gym was easy peasy. We got another badge too! (I think Micaiah is collecting them now? (Micaiah’s the Sunkern FYI. She doesn’t speak much, so she might not have told you yet.))
Anyway, some movie scout saw the battle! And they want Yune to star in a movie for them! Wait, shouldn’t I be the star? Well anyway, Movie studio! Being in a dingy concert hall was fun, but hollywood here I come!

So Trainer girl was dragged into making a movie. I mean, literally dragged. She tried to walk away, and the security guards brought her back. So we all sat around waiting while our trainer acted like a wooden Chatot in front of a camera and a greenscreen. They couldn’t even be bothered to make a set or costumes! I would say it’s the worst movie ever, but we were forced to watch another movie beforehand. And nothing can compare. It goes beyond bad, past so-bad-it’s-good, and right back around to so-bad-it’s-bad-again.

I get the feeling that our trainer was being intentionally awkward. She messed up every line, and didn’t even look at the script. She also tried to sneak off the set at least eight times during filming. It was a three minute scene.

Well, that was not hollywood! >:( It was barely even one of those past your own face into a music video things! Just a stock CGI background that they’ve used three times already, and the same script to boot! 2/10 would not recommend. D:<
We didn’t even get to see the finished product, though that was more the fault of Yune bolting as soon as no-one was looking than the movie company. (^_^;)

Then that guy who through the disc at Yune back at the ranch showed up again. With, what did you call them Lethe? Oh, right the Ginger Mafia. (Totally calling them that from now on.) But Lethe scared them right off. Probably just by glaring at them. Kinda like she’d doing at me right now… 0_0
Singer girl and the Guy-that-scares-Eddy both showed up to help, though they didn’t really do anything… (^_^;) But then Scary-boy gave Yune another on of those discs that Lethe thinks are magic. It apparently teaches Cut, which would have been reeeaally useful back at cheap-as-distortion-world studios. :/
So now we’re on a boat. Free tickets for saving the day! ◠‿◠ Sad we have to leave the city though. I hope we visit another one soon…​

Team:
Tepig♂ - Edward
LV.19 Naughty Nature.
Return
Tail Whip
Flame Charge
Defense Curl

Purrloin♀ - Lethe
LV.16 Careful Nature.
Thief
Growl
Fury Swipes
Sand-Attack

Sunkern♀ - Micaiah
LV.4 Hasty Nature.
Absorb
Growth
Ingrain

Flaafy♀ - Ilyana
LV.18 Quirky Nature.
Charge
Growl
Thunder Wave
Thunder Shock

Elekid♀ - Fiona
LV.10 Mild Nature.
Quick Attack
Leer
Thunder Shock
Low Kick

Question of the Week: While I never finished all the movies, I did a lot of them in my first playthrough, and thought it was pretty cool. (But not as good as Pokemon Contests) Replaying the game however, I can say I firmly hate the forced tutorial for it.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
week twowowowowo

well i'm farther than just getting to castelia now, but the team screenshot is from when i first got here! i didn't expect everyone to be evolved already, but definitely not complaining. Roxie was easy I don't even remember the fight much.

For the record, rn i'm running around the sewers & garden looking for more additions to the team before fighting burgh.

QOTW: i never got much into pokestar studios, so i wanna try it more during this playthrough. i've never thought much of it and the tutorial is annoying.

Giron

Literal Rant
AKA
Brandon
Time Zone
AEST (GMT/UTC +10)
3DS FC
3840-6760-9669
Update 3: Sewers and Deserts

A little late on the update, but finally managed to put it out.

QOTW: Never finished all the movies. It was alright, but I never truly bothered with it. Idk if I'll get back to it, either.

• Did the whole Harlequin Hunt thing, that was pretty easy. I also fought the Battle Company and got the Exp. Share there. That helped with training.
  • Went to the gym, only to find that Burgh went missing! Oh hi, Iris. Seems you're more city savvy than two years ago. Oh well, time to go to the sewers!
  • Of course, I immediately get lost in the sewers as I explore as much as possible... and decide to catch a Zubat on a whim. I named it Aquarius. Speaking of, when I found the name rater, I named my Elekid Capricorn. Yes, they're star signs, but they're constellations too.
  • After taking care of Team Plasma, I took a little bit of time to explore Relic Passage, before heading back to that little area above the sewers. Didn't bother catching anything there. I also went to Route 4 and did a little bit of training.
  • Gym time! Jeez, it was a little annoying with a Sewaddle, but we managed to get through it. I actually forgot you could open up the shortcut back before even beating Burgh, so that's nice.
  • Burgh was a little tough, but nothing we couldn't handle. Lettuce evolved, too! Insect Badge Get!
  • Time to head north-oh, hello Colress. Am I the only one who read his lines like Sean Schemmel? Maybe. I DISAGREE!
  • Time to head further, and beat the Breeder again! And Colress. Colress was a little annoying to take out.
  • Oh yeah! Lettuce evolved again from the Breeder fight, which is nice.
  • Part of me forgot how twisty White 2's Route 4 is... even though I've never played Black 2. I suppose it's because of the first games being rather... direct? Anyway, currently sitting in one of the houses on the route and stuff.
Rhubarb the Dewott ♂
Level 20 Torrent
Naughty Nature
Somewhat of a clown

Tackle
Razor Shell
Water Gun
Fury Cutter

Zucchini the Riolu ♂
Level 22 Steadfast
Serious Nature
Quick tempered

Force Palm
Strength
Endure
Counter

Lettuce the Leavanny ♂
Level 22 Swarm
Adamant Nature
Good endurance

Cut
Struggle Bug
Bug Bite
Razor Leaf

Capricorn the Elekid ♂
Level 20 Static
Adamant Nature
Likes to thrash about

Quick Attack
Thunder Wave
Shock Wave
Low Kick

Aquarius the Zubat ♂
Level 20 Inner Focus
Hasty Nature
Often scatters things

Confuse Ray
Astonish
Bite
Wing Attack

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
・Met up with Bianca outside of the gym who gives out the TM for Return. This will be great on Azurill once I raise her happiness to max.

・Headed East from Floccery Ranch and defeated the Hiker previously blocking the path.

・Defeated all of the remaining trainers on route 20.

・Arrived in Virbank City to witness the gym leader lashing out at her father.

・Headed towards the Virbank Complex first to battle the workers.

evolved into
who swapped genders upon evolution and is now a male.

tried to evolve as well, but I want to keep him as a Tepig.

・Made my way to the Virbank City gym to take on gym leader Roxie.

・Her
gets taken out by an Aqua Tail + Return combo from
I feared that
would cause me more trouble because of Poison + Venoshock combo, but
hit harder than I expected with Flame Charge, also allowing us to outspeed after getting the boost.

・Received the Toxic Badge and the TM for Venoshock.

・Head over to Pokestar Studios to convince Roxie's dad to pick up his old job as a captain so we can get to Castelia City.

・Unintentionally starred in a movie myself as the cowardly 'Riolu-man'.

・Roxie's dad returns to his post, but now it's Team Plasma causing trouble. We manage to defeat them in a battle, but then they run off.

・Received HM 01 for Cut from Roxie.

・Chased after Team Plasma, following them to route 20. After another battle, they manage to run away again but we pick up some rumors that they left by ship.

・Headed back to Virbank City to take the boat to Castelia City.

・Received the Bicycle upon arriving in Castelia City.

・Headed straight to the Name Rater to change
's name to 'Dots' which sounds a little less feminine to me.

Habanero the Tepig

Lv. 20
Impish nature
Blaze
Somewhat vain

58/32/28/20/29/25

• Tackle
  • Tail Whip
  • Flame Charge
  • Defense Curl

Dots the Marill

Lv. 20
Naive nature
Huge Power
Good perseverance

59/20/31/16/27/28

• Charm
  • Aqua Tail
  • Return
  • Water Sport

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
I tried the tutorial movie again at Pokestar Studios with my own Onix and apparently we screwed up the movie so bad that now it's good again and it's become some sort of instant cult classic. Long story short, my Onix is a full-blown movie star now. I sure hope she doesn't start asking for her own trailer now, imagine what that would cost.

Because Pyxis is now a superstar of colossal proportions (literally), she's even got her own animation to reflect this when I send her out in battle. Cue the poor quality photo snapped with my phone!

As a side-effect, we also made the studios 100 billion dollars more as compared to our first attempt at the tutorial script. So uhh... yay for capitalism? Either way, it's causing fans to give us quite a bit of items (at least 5 Lemonades per movie). This actually makes for an interesting dilemma, as my Time Warp challenge dictates that I can't buy items. However, I would hardly even need to buy healing items with all these freebies.

So, I have a question for you guys: how do you think these items should be treated? Should they be allowed (partially), or should I toss them?

Rex

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
EST
Onto Virbank! So between weeks I ran around to increase Riolu's happiness so she would evolve. On the way to Virbank, she leveled up to 15 and... didn't evolve. Strange, maybe her happiness wasn't high enough.

I get to Virbank, quickly check out everything the city has to offer, then go down to the complex and catch several Magnemite looking for a decent nature. I settle on a Naive one and name it Gemini. In the mean time, Riolu levels up to 16, 17, 18... Okay what's up? Why isn't she evolving. Googles "How to evolve Riolu" "Level up with friendship during the day" And it's 5:30am. Guess I'll grind up Magnemite for a while.

So I come back after a few hours and level Riolu and finally, she evolves. We move on to the Virbank City Gym and Magnemite solos the gym without much difficulty. After hunting down the Team Plasma Grunt and visiting Pokestar Studios, I finally get to Castelia and give Lucario her nickname, Squash.

:lucario:
Squash
Hasty, Loves to Eat
Lvl 20
Return
Quick Attack
Work Up
Force Palm

:magnemite:
Gemini
Naive, Hate to Lose
Lvl 20
Thunder Wave
Supersonic
ThunderShock
SonicBoom

QOTW: I don't have much of an opinion. I actually forgot about Pokestar Studios before this and I definitely didn't spend any time there my first time playing.