Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Hello everyone :hmmazurill: Lots of updates and feedback lately but I have something to bring up that I know there's been a lot of support for!! Back on Azurilland we had a forum event called Azurilland Plays where we did a community playthrough of Pokemon games, similar to the progress lounges we make for new games on release. The point is really just to relive a past game with the rest of the community, and it took about 2ish months per playthrough.

One minor thing is that I think it might be better to call it "The Marriland Forums Play [Game Title]" instead of Marriland Plays, since the latter sounds a lot like a youtube series that Marriland himself would make hahah. We could shorten it down to MarriPlays if we're just referencing it since Marri's been a pretty consistent nickname for the forums and it feels separate enough from Marriland himself that it wouldn't be too confusing.

On the old site it kinda got a little stale when it was literally always going on, and we breezed through a lot of games like it was nothing. I think that this time around, it would be better to have like... 3-4 a year or so. If we have them take two months, we could do one month in between each of them and have 4 a year, or a two month break between each one of them and have 3 a year. What do you guys think would work better?

Lastly, what games do we want to go with? I think that B2/W2 would be a great game to start with on the new site for a few reasons heh. It's a pretty popular game and we haven't done it yet, but since we started with BW on Azurilland it would be kinda cool to do B2W2 on this forum. After that though, where do we want to go with it? I know in the past we brought up playing non-Pokemon games, but would anyone be interested in that? Maybe playing through spin-off games? I'd like to get more input about those kind of things.

I'd like to reboot the series some time around mid-March. Do you guys think that's would be a good timing for it? And would you want to participate?

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Katey
i think a 1 month break between all of them and alternating between pokemon game -> non pokemon game -> pokemon game would be best!!!! IM SO EXCITED THIS WILL COME BACK!!!!!!!!!!

i also like the name MarriPlays since it's way more concise than something like the other suggestion,,

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
i think a 1 month break between all of them and alternating between pokemon game -> non pokemon game -> pokemon game would be best!!!! IM SO EXCITED THIS WILL COME BACK!!!!!!!!!!

i also like the name MarriPlays since it's way more concise than something like the other suggestion,,
The more I think of it the more it sounds like an absolute mouthful to read through the long title heh. It might be best to keep that to the banner we use or something... MarriPlays flows well anyways so using that for everything wouldn't be bad either.

What sort of non-Pokemon games do you think we should play? That's one of my concerns with doing something like that. Pokemon is super convenient for our forums since everyone has the games, but I worry that it might be hard to find a game that the majority of the participants could play together from other series.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Katey
i think it would be best to start with nintendo only, like LoZ or FE, since that's going to be more accessible to our member base i think? we can start with pokemon and brainstorm/vote for what non pokemon to do !

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
I'd be up for MarriPlays FE. I like iron, I can't see how we turn it into a game but we'll think of someth... Okay, I can't continue this joke with a Fire Emblem avatar.

~Kilza~

The Rising Sun
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
Yeeeesssssss, I am hella excite for this to return. I am ready for it whenever it starts up again.

With the name, MarriPlays works best. The whole "The Marriland Forums Play [Game]" is too long of a title as you mentioned, plus everybody would just refer to it as MarriPlays anyways, much like they did with AzuriPlays.

With the timing, I think 2 months on, 1 month off works. Like, personally, with the fact I ended up playing ahead, I ended up getting a month to month and a half break before the next playthrough, which worked for me. So I feel that a one month break gives people enough time to recharge from the game that was just played and get excited for the new game that's coming up.

As for the games we go with, BW2 as the first game was a given. I think doing more Pokemon games is obvious, whether it's main series or spin-off (Colosseum/XD please). Katey's suggestion of alternating between Pokemon and non-Pokemon games would be good to prevent things from getting stale from doing just Pokemon games, even though (as I said forever ago on Azurilland) it does feel weird to do non-Pokemon games when this is a Pokemon forum.

I guess as for which non-Pokemon games we do, it's really up to the community and more specifically those who are interested in doing this. But the main thing would be to make sure whatever non-Pokemon games are chosen are accessible to everybody who's interested in MarriPlays and can be done in the 2 months. So Nintendo games in general seem to be a given since Pokemon is itself a Nintendo series, so people should have or be able to acquire the chosen games. Popular series like Mario, Zelda, etc. would work since there's a lot of games we can draw from them that would fit into the 2 months.

No matter what, though, we would have at least a month before we do that play session, so we can easily discuss and come up with which game to play at that time. That would also help with MarriPlays in general since then it isn't tacked on to the very end of the current playthrough we're doing, it's given it's own space.

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
I myself would rather stick with the name MarriPlays too. I would say "Marriland Plays" like we had beforehand but as Kilza mentioned, including the forums in the title name would be a bit much. And likewise, I feel that a month break would certainly make the plays a little more unique to make them feel more seasonal in the sense.

As for what we'll do next up, I'd certainly do B2W2! There was another playthrough I had planned for Black 2 to follow up my current challenge on Black as is, but I can certainly do something else beforehand. But whether we would do other games or not, that certainly depends - I know some of us (myself included) tend to not play games that aren't Pokemon very well, and some of us may not even own them. But it would be a fun way to introduce our viewers to stuff that's new to them, unless they're Nintendo series in which case I do feel like most of us know those well enough. Regardless, I certainly look forward to whatever we end up doing! :happyazurill:

Resolute

sterner stuff
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
I'd love to see MarriPlays come back this March! I'd try to participate if I can. I'm definitely in support of this being a 2-4 times a year sort of thing, doing it every month like we did on Azuri burnt people out really quick.

I'd love to play other RPGs like one of the Final Fantasies on this as well. Longer games like that seem like they would work better than short sports games or whatever. Maybe we could consider fangames or ROM hacks as well?

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
I do think playing non-Pokemon games would be enjoyable, I just worry a bit about the practicality of it. It's tough to find games that enough people have access to, especially enough of them to alternate months. I like the idea in theory, but in practice I'm not sure how it'll turn out. I do think it'd be fun to at least give it a try at some point. I know people are mentioning Nintendo games and I do think that's pretty sensible, but being a Pokemon fan doesn't always mean being a Nintendo fan, so in a case like mine I'm very unlikely to have whatever Nintendo game gets brought up. Though I suppose I personally wouldn't mind buying the game as long as it actually interests me, not everyone can afford to do that. I guess it's something we may have to address as we go. I definitely think we should tread carefully with any non-Pokemon games we decide to play and maybe hold off on making a concrete decision on how often those playthroughs would be until we see how things go.

I'd be totally down for B2W2 next btw! Feels very appropriate for the new forums. I'd love to play some spin-offs at some point as well. I've wanted to replay Colosseum sometime.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Katey
forgot to say!! i would also love to play b2w2 first!!!! would be so iconic.

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
lets play bw2 first thank

also like the idea of playing non pokemon games to alternate if we have the audience for it but ONLY if we do we would probably need to poll what each of us got

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Hi hi! So I'm reading this thread and this all sounds super cool to me! I wasn't on Azurilland, so I didn't see how things went there and therefore can't comment on it, but I'm here for this idea.

• I think MarriPlays is a pretty good title. Including "forums" makes it too long, and honestly, if most people are going to be calling it MarriPlays anyways, we may as well stick with that.

• I think two months on, one month off sounds reasonable too. I imagine stuff like voting and making people aware of the next game coming up would happen towards the end of the previous one ending, that way if it is something people have to buy, they have enough time to actually get the game if they want to do so. Also keeps the hype up.

• I like the idea of Pokemon and non-Pokemon! I know this is a Pokemon forum and all, but I know people here also have interests outside of Pokemon too. I know there's the issue too with non-Pokemon in how it should be dealt with. I think Nintendo would be fine, but I think also opening up to other games outside of Nintendo wouldn't be a bad idea either. Steam games wouldn't be a bad option, and there's a lot on there for a low price (and they have sales all the time) and there's a nice variety on there that we could probably find something on there that people would like and want to play.

• I'm here for starting with BW2. Future game suggestions are anything Pokemon (including spin-offs), Fire Emblem, Stardew Valley, Final Fantasy, Mario, and Legend of Zelda.

Applechrisp

Beginner Trainer
Time Zone
MST
3DS FC
2165-6205-7475
Switch FC
SW-2234-5580-4045
I know I'm super late for this, but Marriplays sounds exciting, so...

When will it start?
I am also wondering when it will start.

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
I don't know if I'm just stupid but what actually is marriplays? I get that obvs the forum plays a video game but like, what's the process? I guess is what I'm asking

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Katey
I don't know if I'm just stupid but what actually is marriplays? I get that obvs the forum plays a video game but like, what's the process? I guess is what I'm asking
We pick a game (as a community) and then just play it at the same time. a staff member posts every week with goals we can work toward (ie "defeat the first gym") and some other fun stuff like nicknaming themes and questions about the game we can answer/discuss.. ofc you don't have to follow any of that, if you wanna participate you can play however you wanna play, and post updates in the thread if you want. it's really fun because it's meant to recreate the feeling of when a new game comes out and we're all playing the same game together & chatting about it & sharing our teams and such. it's as simple as that. you can see the last thread here (if it works... azuri archiving is kinda the worst) That thread also explains what it's all about in the first post.

I think it was announced the next game would be B2W2, usually we have a poll to decide but B2W2 is kinda iconic since BW was the first one we ever did and this would be the first one we do on the new forum as bubba explained. I'm rly excited, whenever it can start.

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
We pick a game (as a community) and then just play it at the same time. a staff member posts every week with goals we can work toward (ie "defeat the first gym") and some other fun stuff like nicknaming themes and questions about the game we can answer/discuss.. ofc you don't have to follow any of that, if you wanna participate you can play however you wanna play, and post updates in the thread if you want. it's really fun because it's meant to recreate the feeling of when a new game comes out and we're all playing the same game together & chatting about it & sharing our teams and such. it's as simple as that. you can see the last thread here (if it works... azuri archiving is kinda the worst) That thread also explains what it's all about in the first post.

I think it was announced the next game would be B2W2, usually we have a poll to decide but B2W2 is kinda iconic since BW was the first one we ever did and this would be the first one we do on the new forum as bubba explained. I'm rly excited, whenever it can start.
Alright I'm already very invested count me in!

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Yeah, that was one fun thing about the plays event on the last forum, talking about various aspects of the game and sharing it together with everyone. I never really thought of it that way, but it's certainly something I look forward to when we get this next one going!

PyroKinesis

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Corey
I might have to speed through Platinum to make sure I can start Black 2 & White 2 with the forum if that is indeed the selected game.

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I'm sorry it's taken so long to get this up and running, but we've started! If you have any more questions feel free to shoot them my way or post them in the event thread itself c: