• Smash Camp 2020

Smash Camp, an event that has run for twelve years, has started once again! Everyone who joins is separated into one of four cabins where you'll compete to earn points through various activities, such as flash games, tournaments, and other events. At the end of camp, the totals will be finalized, and the cabin with the most total points wins. It's an awesome way to have fun with your friends while meeting new people in the process, and is open to anyone, not just members of the Marriland Forums!

Pre-Camp has officially started, with Camp itself beginning on Monday. It will be taking place exclusively on the Smash Camp Discord, which you may join by clicking here. If you have any questions, feel free to join the server and ask - we hope to see you there!

✎ Monthly Art Prompts ✎

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine

Welcome to this little corner of creativity! As an artist, the best way to improve is to practice constantly. Sometimes, however, we fall into an artist's block, wondering what our next project should be. Here you can get that dose of inspiration needed to keep creating! Every month I'll release a few prompts, and you can make something according to the challenge or theme.

You may use any medium to answer as many or as few prompts as you wish.
You may discuss anything prompt-related that you wish to in this thread: the prompts themselves, feedback for those who ask for it, etc.
You may opt-in for constructive criticism when you post your work. Anyone can then chime in to give you feedback. If you do not say anything about critiques in your post, it will be assumed that you don't want comments.
For those giving feedback, it is recommended to give more than a small phrase. What exactly makes the art so nice? How could it be improved?
Have a prompt idea? PM me, and I might include your idea in a future month!

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
March 2019 Prompts

Prompt 1: Pick a color you normally avoid in your work. Make it the main color of this one.

Prompt 2: Create a scene of a character wandering alone in a city.

Prompt 3: Create something that reminds you of the word "curiosity."

Mystical

Ysabel
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled

The Cyndaquil came out nicely, but I didn't know what else to do here. Maybe I'll improve it, maybe not.

Edit: this drawing on my notebook was done first, as the model. Absol was supposed to be drawn instead of the girl but I was having difficulties. I'm working on it, though.

Last edited:

Rainbow Rocket Grunt

Team Rocket Grunt
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Aimee, Lulu, LuluRina, Rina, ALL HAIL GIOVANNI!
Time Zone
GMT+11
IGN
Lulu
I did the Curiosity prompt! :)

I liked how this turned out tbh :)
(critiques are appreciated)

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
@LuluRina I really like the concept of the artwork! It really fits the theme of curiosity. The main critique I would give is to have a softer hand when colouring, start colouring with light circles and slowly build up the colour. Be patient when doing so, because smooth colouring with coloured pencils definitely takes time. Colouring lightly will also allow you to build up some shadows as well. When colouring the grass, grass is a very organic object, so perhaps you could try having the grass positioned in more angled shapes, rather than just completely straight. Also, with the shadows, the outline of the cave is about the right shade, but as you go deeper into the cave, the shading should gradually get darker as there is a lot less light. More contrast in the colouring would allow for more depth in the artwork as a whole.

Great job on the artwork though! I love the composition of Eevee looking curiously into the cave, it really fits Eevee's nature. ^^

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
@LuluRina

i really like the composition! i honestly think that the harsher strokes kind of add some character and tension, and in this particular concept i think it works well and i personally like it ^^ i love your idea as well, it's a picture but it tells a story! I agree with Azuviin and i have another little tip to share that you might like. You can try to darken the outlines of some shapes to help them pop out more, like darken Eevee's outlines a bit, maybe? Great job overall :D

Fafrir

:]
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
Here's my entry for Prompt 1. I use a lot of colours but I don't use pastels so I've made a pastel piece.
Feel free to CnC to your heart's content as the colours are unfamiliar territory. For reference, I've used this palette:

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
@Fafrir it looks so beautiful and soft!! i love pastel colours and i think you did an awesome job! i really like the different colours you used for the fur, gives the drawing more dimension and makes it look fluffier * ^ *

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Went with prompt #2: create a scene of a character wandering alone in the city. Drawn art isn't my forte, but I figured I'd do something different than graphics for once.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
alright, so i gave this a try!
i'm not very happy with the result tbh, the pencil and ink sketch looked nice, but when i tried to colour it, i realized that the paper i used was too textured, so it was kind of impossible to make it look smooth with my coloured pencils. it's ok though, it was still really fun to make ^^
my inking is sloppy too for some reason

critiques are always appreciated~

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
@Bunnie AAAAAAAHHHHHH THAT'S SO CUTE

That actually made my day! :D The Rattata shuffling through the backpack is a great touch.

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
I've given all of the Curiosity responses a feature on the Instagram. I plan to get the other categories up throughout the month too. Keep up the great work, everyone!

Will probably do some prompt responses over spring break to pass the time. I'm glad you guys are enjoying the prompts!

Fafrir

:]
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
@Bunnie I actually am glad the rough paper was used as it gives your piece a lot more texture, which does remind me of illustrations from children's books. The grainy feel does look dream-like too! Lovely, cute piece overall!

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
@Bunnie!!!! That is absolutely precious. The Mew looks so in character and was an awesome choice for representing curiosity. I don't have the art skill to offer critique but omg it makes me feel so fuzzy inside.

@Stralend yas girl, work it

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
@theDINOsaurus thank you so much! <3 i'm glad you noticed why i chose Mew ^^

@Fafrir thanks so much, glad you like it!! tbh i was going for that kind of style, but i was little surprised by how hard the paper was to work with :o i understand what you're saying about texture though, i'm glad it works well for this kind of illustration ^^

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

Cursed
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
4184-2828-4738
IGN
Angel
I hope photoshop is permitted, as I can't draw.

I ended up answering two prompts together; color and city using two themes featuring Espeon because I couldn't decide between them.
Note: This is my first attempt at drawing in Photoshop and as I stated, I can't draw to begin with.

For this first one I chose the color pink because I can't stand pink so I avoid it in life.

The second...well the intention was to use yellow but it came out more green due to my using a shiny Espeon here which also works. Yellow and Green are pretty much equally uncommon in my work.