Monthly Art Themes

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Would it be possible to get monthly art themes, similar to how the writing section has monthly themes? Three different options for what people can choose from, and then they can submit something if they want? I'm thinking it might help people get their creative juices flowing and posting more art in the their portfolios, or creating one if they don't already have one.

I'd also be happy with some kind of other regular art thing if monthly art themes aren't really anyone's thing.

Thundawave

♔ Deja Vu ♔
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
IGN
Regine
By monthly themes, do you mean some words to act as prompts for people to follow? If so, that's definitely possible! I'd be glad to run that if there's more support for prompts. And if others have theme ideas, they could always PM them to me.

I've been wary about hosting regular art stuff after the demise of art contests, but a bunch of less competitive art-centered events could probably retain interest for longer.

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I'm not super involved with art so take this as you will, but we used to have monthly art contests and they ended up dying off pretty hard. I'm not sure if there is enough interest to keep a monthly event going, either. I do think more art contests or activities would be good, but monthly things tend to fizzle out after a while of doing them. Again I'm not a super artsy guy so this is a totally outside opinion, but if we were to do this sort of thing it would be good to see how much interest there is first.

Edit: ninja'd oof how does this even happen with the little alert that pops up D:

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
I think the difference between something like an art contest and an art prompt is that it's ok if there's not much participation for a given month since they're more for personal inspiration than anything. Not to mention iirc it sounded like a lot of frustration with the art contests came from people entering but not winning and getting a little burned out because of that. Without the competitive factor, it's possible that there might be more participation. I think the writing prompts are really nice to have. They don't always spark ideas for me, but sometimes they do, and it's fun to look at the prompts each month. So with that perspective in mind, I think having something similar for the artists of the forums could be really nice!!

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i really like this idea, it's not competitive, so there's no pressure to do the best you can or win, and it sounds like a fun way to get inspiration and do something more interactive involving art in the forums ^^ I don't think i would participate in an art contest since i'm not confident in my skills and i get burnt out easily, but doing something more relaxed like this sounds great!

Reminds me of Inktober, though a lot less stress inducing since the prompts would be monthly xd

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
By monthly themes, do you mean some words to act as prompts for people to follow? If so, that's definitely possible! I'd be glad to run that if there's more support for prompts. And if others have theme ideas, they could always PM them to me.

I've been wary about hosting regular art stuff after the demise of art contests, but a bunch of less competitive art-centered events could probably retain interest for longer.
I'm not super involved with art so take this as you will, but we used to have monthly art contests and they ended up dying off pretty hard. I'm not sure if there is enough interest to keep a monthly event going, either. I do think more art contests or activities would be good, but monthly things tend to fizzle out after a while of doing them. Again I'm not a super artsy guy so this is a totally outside opinion, but if we were to do this sort of thing it would be good to see how much interest there is first.

Edit: ninja'd oof how does this even happen with the little alert that pops up D:
yall need to get over this. yes, people got burned out with the monthly contests, but a lot of that has to do with losing month after month. if there isn't so much pressure to join and do well/win, i think people would remain interested a little bit more consistently.
I think the difference between something like an art contest and an art prompt is that it's ok if there's not much participation for a given month since they're more for personal inspiration than anything. Not to mention iirc it sounded like a lot of frustration with the art contests came from people entering but not winning and getting a little burned out because of that.
christy brought that up well. contests are VERY easy to get burnt out on. no one wants to keep Losing because they don't match the standard of whoever is the trendy marriland artist at the time. However, a non-competitive prompt sounds amazing. i tried to do it with my art club, Palette Town, but it wasn't advertised too heavily and the club itself did not get that much attention. if it was more of a forum wide thing, i think people could find a lot of use for it, even if it was just someone doing something small on their own and didn't share it. silence doesn't always mean lack of interest. it could be super nice to help people get their artistic juices flowing, like you said Felly, it could be rly nice and fun without relying too heavily on contribution/participation. it's not like it takes a ton of time to come up with a prompt (or even three) once a month. i would be all for this.

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
I do think having a monthly art prompt is a great idea. There's no pressure on anybody to try and do super amazing or anything since it isn't competitive, so I'm sure there'd be more people willing to try the prompts since it's just for fun and it allows for them to gain more experience by doing more art. I'm sure it'll also help people who do want to do something artistic but just can't think of what to do. One big thing is that it also allows for people who do the prompts to receive CnC, something that I know was brought up as basically being non-existent with the monthly art contests that were held back at Azurilland.

Azuviin

Soldier of Affinity
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Michelle
I've tried this among many other things on Azurilland and got zero response, so my opinion on the creative scene on this forum at the moment is going to be the more pessimistic one. But I'm not saying nothing has changed, of course I can definitely see the community has changed so I can see this being a worthwhile shot again. I know this looks very good on paper compared to Art Contests which died out miserably, but monthly art events do tend to die out especially because they are very stale. Constantly losing certainly deterred everyone from the art contests yes, but I would argue that it was also the stale, repetitive nature and the fact that you ultimately have nothing to gain that contributed even more. And this last part also applies to any sort of monthly art event, contest or not. Minimal participation also deters even more participants, leaving no one participating. This community like response happens especially in artistic activities.

My opinion is that monthly prompts are going to have good response at first, but if you just leave it at that, posting a new theme/prompt every month people are certainly going to lose interest. Also the themes were uninspiring and boring on top of that. The person who hosts this must be extremely pro-active in creating art, giving others feedback as well as being innovative from time to time on how this activity is executed. If you're just popping in and posting a prompt every month or so I can guarantee it's gonna die out.

The contest vs non-competitive nature of art events had me thinking, if people hated losing that much, that possibly means most people just entered to win/possibly earn the gorgeous ribbon badge rather than improve their own art skills seriously. Art prompts are certainly targeted to the latter of those people, considering they are the ones who would be participating consistently. How many people are really like that on this forum?

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
The contest vs non-competitive nature of art events had me thinking, if people hated losing that much, that possibly means most people just entered to win/possibly earn the gorgeous ribbon badge rather than improve their own art skills seriously. Art prompts are certainly targeted to the latter of those people, considering they are the ones who would be participating consistently. How many people are really like that on this forum?
i don't like this view. it is not just about winning or getting a meaningless forum badge, it is that losing consistently basically tells someone "your art sucks and you're not getting better. no one cares that you're creating." which obviously isn't true, but if you keep entering, and keep seeing people be like "Ooooh I like this other one! ^_^" and ignore yours, it beats down on you. that's just human nature. very few people want to keep putting effort into something every month if they feel like they just suck at it and no one appreciates it.

agree simply posting boring themes every month will get stale, but i'm sure we can figure out ways to spice it up and make it more engaging. maybe just showcase every piece that was made on the front page of the site (and/or the Instagram like Regine has been doing). Not being selective with it, just showcasing all of them. Maybe people can request Cnc (or, request they don't get any), so those who are trying to improve and actually want feedback can get it, but those who just want to create and share without judgment can do so too. there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting either of those things.

i know it is tough to come up with a way to do art stuff without it just fizzling out, but definitely worth it to keep brainstorming until we find something that works, cuz the interest is obviously there in some shape or form. please don't get discouraged @ anyone who has hosted art events in the past or wishes to host them in the future. ):

Azuviin

Soldier of Affinity
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Michelle
i don't like this view. it is not just about winning or getting a meaningless forum badge, it is that losing consistently basically tells someone "your art sucks and you're not getting better. no one cares that you're creating." which obviously isn't true, but if you keep entering, and keep seeing people be like "Ooooh I like this other one! ^_^" and ignore yours, it beats down on you. that's just human nature. very few people want to keep putting effort into something every month if they feel like they just suck at it and no one appreciates it.
I’m very aware of that feeling, I do realise that’s how the majority feel.

But that’s just my personal view on how I feel when I enter contests, which I know not many others feel this way. Majority of people voting don’t know what goes into creating art at all and are just voting for what’s pretty/aesthetic even if it’s objectively bad art wise. I’ve seen so many great ones, but ultimately it’s the cute and pretty stuff that’s appreciated. Personally, opinions of those voting don’t bother me unless they’re genuinely constructive, but again, I know that attention-seeking is very normal human nature. Also, is attention from others the only motivation for creating art? Is it people always just wanna hear, “wow, that’s awesome!” all the time?

Anyways, not the main point. Change it up a little rather than just posting a theme every month, and the host should be active and involved. That’s what I think should happen at least, otherwise it will fizzle out.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
yeah. most important thing is passion, which includes not being too pessimistic or negative. i know we can make something like this work ★

Fafrir

Cunning God of Death
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan (-6 GMT)
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
I would like to see this (and participate in it!) and I love the ideas of choosing your own prompt from say the selected three.

When I hosted Picture Telephone (something I will reboot some time in the future), there were tons of people who enjoyed it, both for participation and the end result. Basically, it just feels like a fresh and satisfying experience, while technically involving prompts.

For prompt ideas, I do concur with them having oomph to keep them more engaging. Some prompt ideas could be something like speed, warp, and fear and I agree that people could submit ideas should the host feel like they don't have any prompts for that following month.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
What I was thinking when I proposed this was a set of prompts for people to follow and submit art for. No winners, no losers, just participants. You won't lose anything if you fail to submit within the time frame for whatever reason. It's purely participatory and not competitive at all. There's no pressure to participate, and if you have to miss a month because you're too busy or you're feeling uninspired, then that's fine, try again next month. In terms of actual prompt ideas, I agree that they should have some oomph to keep it engaging and interesting for anyone who participates, and I think whoever hosts it should be open to ideas from others. I also think whoever hosts should participate on some level, even if they can't do it every month because they're not feeling the prompts. I also think being open to criticism is a plus too; if someone doesn't want it, they can say as much, but if they do want it, then they can have it. Regardless, I don't think giving them a chance is necessarily a bad idea. Worst that'll happen is it fizzles out after a few months if the prompts aren't engaging enough for people.

In terms of art contests, where there is a winner and a loser, I don't think these are necessarily a bad idea, but I think what I'm hearing from y'all is that they died out because people were bummed out that they weren't winning and it killed their drive for wanting to enter month after month. It sounds like people voted, but they didn't really say why they voted for who they voted for. They just voted and moved on with their day; some people may have taken the time to give a reason, but it's sounding like most may have just voted and moved on. I think in the future with art events, it may be worth having people vote, but also say why they voted for that person with actual criticism. What did they like about the piece? What did they dislike, if anything? No "this one is pretty!!!" or "wow, that's awesome!" This is gonna sound harsh, but actual criticism or your vote doesn't count. Maybe it'll help relieve some of the issue of burnout for people who are bummed out that they're not winning because it'll show them what their strengths and weaknesses are so they can work on them for the next one. I also feel like not having monthly contests would keep them fresh, keep people interested, and avoid the burnout from losing month after month. I like the idea of contests, because I think a little competition is always nice, but that's probably a discussion for another time.

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
League Champion
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Mostly with Bubba on this one, in that I'm known to stay away from most art events aside from purely as a spectator. However, I'm decently involved with the counterpart to monthly art prompts, Rin's monthly writing prompts. With the experience I've had there, I'd be all for this idea, with Thundawave being willing to host it. Even if only one person worked on the writing prompt for a given month, it was still an excellent resource to have for creativity, practice, and skill. Since this wouldn't be a competition of any sort and purely on a voluntary basis, I don't see how it could go wrong.

Azuviin

Soldier of Affinity
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Michelle
Seeing all the support is making me really happy... I used to bust my ass for the creative boards back in Azuri and my effort went to nothing when I went on hiatus, very glad to see that's changing. I was super discouraged to keep trying because of that but I should keep trying. Anyways, I've got a lot of ideas to change things up a bit and keep things going, so Regine or whoever wants to host it I'd be happy to help!

Thundawave

♔ Deja Vu ♔
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
IGN
Regine
Here's the structure I'm thinking of so far:
-3-5 prompts per month. You can choose to do as many or as few as you want.
-Responses can be of any medium.
-If you want CnC, state that you do in your post. Anyone can pop in to give a constructive critique (so none of the generic "wow nice art"). I'll try my best to critique you alongside anyone else, but I know I'm not as knowledgeable in some mediums (drawing) as I am in others (graphics).
-I'll accept prompt suggestions from anyone via PM and credit those people when I use their prompts.

What are your thoughts on this structure?

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
I do think that structure looks good and definitely looks inviting to all artists on the forums. I think it should start at just 3 prompts, and then if there's demand for more prompts they can be added.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Here's the structure I'm thinking of so far:
-3-5 prompts per month. You can choose to do as many or as few as you want.
-Responses can be of any medium.
-If you want CnC, state that you do in your post. Anyone can pop in to give a constructive critique (so none of the generic "wow nice art"). I'll try my best to critique you alongside anyone else, but I know I'm not as knowledgeable in some mediums (drawing) as I am in others (graphics).
-I'll accept prompt suggestions from anyone via PM and credit those people when I use their prompts.

What are your thoughts on this structure?
sounds good! will we have pokemon related prompts? :blushazurill:

Fafrir

Cunning God of Death
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan (-6 GMT)
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
I like this structure! In regards to Pokémon related prompts, I do think it can alternate each month, be in a mix of other prompts, or forgo them and allow the artist to draw Pokémon for any prompt if they wanted.

In regards to CnC, I'll also try and post some if needed.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
3-5 prompts sounds reasonable. I feel like the more prompts there are, the more likely people may be to participate since there may be a theme they'd be willing to do, but 3 themes won't be awful either since it still gives a variety and I know coming up with 5 themes each month could be a struggle if no one's passing along any ideas. I feel like a mix of Pokemon related prompts and non-Pokemon related prompts would be cool since there's a variety of interests here on the forums, but I think they could also be open ended so that the artist can decide if they want to do something Pokemon related or not while also still falling within the prompt.

I like that it's open to any medium!! That was one of the things I wanted to see out of this because I know not everyone caters to one form of art.

One question I do have though -- what if people forget to state they want CnC in their post or just don't do it at all? Is it going to be assumed they don't want it?