Monthly Art Themes

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
One question I do have though -- what if people forget to state they want CnC in their post or just don't do it at all? Is it going to be assumed they don't want it?
i was thinking about this..i think it might be more appropriate to always assume someone doesn't want criticism by default, and only give it if someone specifically states they want it, this would help keep the overall vibe a lot more comfortable and casual.

edit: it also doesn't sound fun to completely ban comments like "it's nice!", if that's what you were implying regine):

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
One question I do have though -- what if people forget to state they want CnC in their post or just don't do it at all? Is it going to be assumed they don't want it?
i was thinking about this..i think it might be more appropriate to always assume someone doesn't want criticism by default, and only give it if someone specifically states they want it, this would help keep the overall vibe a lot more comfortable and casual.

edit: it also doesn't sound fun to completely ban comments like "it's nice!", if that's what you were implying regine):
I'm okay with that! Might be best to make sure people are aware that if they don't post saying they want CnC, they won't get it, that way no one's confused, but otherwise sounds good!

@ the banning comments like "it's nice!," I feel like that kinda goes against the comfortable and casual atmosphere we're going for here. Don't get me wrong, I 100% see how they can be annoying and unhelpful, but I feel like we shouldn't discourage people to comment on these works since this is meant to be a fun lil thing that people can participate in and it's not about winning or losing. I think we should encourage people to go more in depth as to why they think it's nice, but if they just want to post "it's nice!," I don't think we should stop them in this case.

Thundawave

☆ POP/STAR ☆
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
IGN
Regine
Yeah, if someone doesn't ask for CnC, assume that they don't want it.

I wouldn't ban unhelpful comments, but I'd encourage people to give more than just "it's nice" if they're popping in for that. The people who want critiques want to know what they can improve on or what exactly made that art so nice, not just validation.

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
I'd be interested, though I'd like it if some of the prompts are simple things or things that don't necessarily require skill. You can, of course, do something more complex, but I'd be interested in something with free style every once in a while, for example. Like drawing something related to a song, movie or phrase.

Also, relating to the conversation about why contests die out, it's partly because a lot of it was based on skill. Obviously people with more skill were going to win. Take the Marriprom contest, for example. Regine/Brian and Lizzy/Atlus got the most votes because Brian and Lizzy had the skills and talent (and Regine had the knowledge, too. Don't know about Atlus lol but you get my point.) This is just an example, but I feel like it applies. So people with less skill/talent get discouraged. But I think doing something that doesn't require skill or comparison will get a more positive response. Because then anyone can join, even those who don't have the same skill and/or ability but still want to participate and share their work.

Last edited:

Thundawave

☆ POP/STAR ☆
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
IGN
Regine
I've prepared the thread for the prompts, and they'll be released in a few hours!