📖 °Monthly Writing Prompts° 📖

Merushii

Wings of Starlight
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Rin

Be one a professional writer, a roleplayer, or a casual dabbler, there is one sure way to improve the craft: lots of practice!

Once a month, between three and five prompts — varied between Pokémon and non-Pokémon — will be posted. Users may write about any number of these, several different takes on just one, or whatever combination in between they desire. When the next set of prompts come out, users should move on — and if any prompt gives a user a bigger idea, they can make their own thread to expound upon it.

✧ Writings may be any length, and users should place longer pieces in spoilers for courtesy.
✧ If one's writing becomes darker, contains a fair amount of swearing, or is more on the violent side, users should place a warning at the beginning of the piece.
✧ Users may discuss anything in this thread pertaining to the prompts: the prompts themselves, feedback, writing process assistance, and so forth.
✧ Users may submit ideas for prompts directly to Merushii via private conversation.

Constructive criticism —

Users may choose whether or not their stories receive constructive criticism from their peers. If they wish to opt in, users should include a note at the beginning of their piece. If this note is absent, all readers should assume they do not wish for feedback. We highly encourage all users to allow feedback on their pieces, as peer review is a great way to improve as a writer.

As a note for those offering constructive criticism: review responsibly. From the Library Rules:
It is important to remember that when users point out something that an author could improve upon, they leave helpful tips as to how and why. Leaving empty criticism does nothing but discourage writers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flo

Seventh Siren
Time Zone
BST
aaaAAAAAAAA IT RETURNS <3

Mirage

Pokemon Master
AKA
Drake, Mirage, Izzy
Time Zone
(UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Omg yes, I'm so happy this returns! Even though I only wrote like 1 or 2 stories here haha

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Really looking forward to this! I wonder what the prompts will be.

Franciscosta

Communist Duck
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Good to see the writing prompts are finally here! By the way, I'm still looking for criticism on my take of the last prompt; if anyone has the time, any tips are greatly appreciated!

Merushii

Wings of Starlight
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Rin
November Prompts
(5th - 30th)

📖 ----- 📖

Non-Pokémon: It is the month of Thanksgiving for some — and even if it is not celebrated in your region, you may be familiar with it. It is a time to give thanks for the important things in your life. Think about the thing, person, whatever, that you are most thankful for in your life. Got it? Okay. Now I want you to form a short story or poem out of that thing. This can be a story or poem of reality, or you can even go the fantasy route with it.

Pokémon: A friend of yours came to you, panicked, swearing that they saw a terrifying creature in the night — they say it was a Pokémon, in fact! It appeared out of the blackness on their way home and was gone as quickly as it had come. But Pokémon is just a silly made up franchise that you had a couple of games for. ...Right?

Pokémon: If you were to design a Pokémon professor, what would he or she look like? How would they speak? What sort of background would they have? What would their specialty be? You can write this as a character sheet, short story, or some sort of introductory scene.

Pokémon or Non-Pokémon: Your character has loved, and been loved in return by, one of a different tribe for years now — even though it was forbidden. Those two tribes are now set to go to war, any shaky connection between them now severed and defenses raised. No one is allowed to leave the perimeter of either tribe's encampment. All are threatened by this war if it starts...including your character's beloved.

Pokémon or Non-Pokémon: Eager to get away from the stresses of every day life, you and your friends book a trip by boat to a popular and remote island destination. Along the way, however, the captain mysteriously disappears and your boat is lost in a heavy fog. Your group arrives on another island entirely...

📖 ----- 📖

I'll have a fancy userbar thing here next month! Remember that you guys have total freedom when it comes to these prompts. You can write seven short stories on just the first prompt if you want lol, or write about each of them, one of them, whatever you want to do. And you don't have to do it all in one post! Post and discuss away~ Don't forget that if you want constructive criticism from your peers, mention it!

Mirage

Pokemon Master
AKA
Drake, Mirage, Izzy
Time Zone
(UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Here's my contribution! I'm gonna write two poems, one haiku, and another acrostic.

Haiku:

Because of my friends,
I'm still around to this day,
So thank you, my joys.

Acrostic:

Friends are like family,
Really loving and supportive.
In this joyous month,
Everything is warm and fuzzy.
Never take them for granted, they
Deserve to be appreciated.
So if they're happy, then I'm
Happy as well.
In love this is written, so I'm
Probably gonna get a few tears and big hugs.

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
Love bound by heartstrings
A war of attrition may
sever forever

ehhhhhh I'm no poet, especially when it comes to haikus. :J

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
"A friend of yours came to you, panicked, swearing that they saw a terrifying creature in the night — they say it was a Pokémon, in fact! It appeared out of the blackness on their way home and was gone as quickly as it had come. But Pokémon is just a silly made up franchise that you had a couple of games for. ...Right?"

Here's my first story for the month of November. Feedback, as always, is welcome!
Apple cores and sunflower shells piled up in a heap on the warm brown dirt around the oak root. I slowly reached into the bag for another handful of seeds. Jake stretched out his arm and groped lazily for another apple. He held it up and admired it in the sunlight for a moment. "Check it out, Henry," he mumbled to me. "What a perfect apple." He took a slow bite, savoring the crunch, and I cracked another seed between my teeth. Summer is the best.

I didn't know what time it was when I woke up. Jake was gone, and so was his bike. The disc of the sun hung low over the Texas horizon, still sliding downward. Strange of Jake to have left like that, without telling me. Normally we did everything together, but I was too lazy and comfortably warm to give it much thought. Time to be getting on home, I thought to myself, before the rattlers come out. The apples were all gone, so I snatched up my bag of sunflower seeds and hopped on my own bike, headed for home. I would eat dinner, and then maybe after that, some video games. I've been a fan of Pokémon games for several years, and as a present for doing so well in school the past year, my parents had bought me an old copy of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. I had heard good things about that game, and was enjoying it quite a bit.

As I was getting out my old red DS, I wondered whether Jake might want to come over. He'd hung out with me before while I played Explorers of Sky, and he seemed interested; I was secretly hoping to get him into Pokémon, too, so I'd have someone to trade and battle with. "Hey, Mom!" I called down the hall. "Could you call Jake's mom and see if he wants to play some video games with me?" Normally I would have done it myself, but I hadn't yet got a new phone after breaking my old one.

"Alright," she responded. "I was just about to give Mrs. Desalio a call anyway. It's been a hot minute since we've caught up!"

Satisfied, I powered up the system and flopped down on my bed. Time to save the world, I chuckled to myself.

A few minutes later, I heard my mom's voice again. "Henry?" she said with a faint note of concern. "Jake's mom says he isn't home, and hasn't been all day since lunchtime. She thought he was still with us."

Startled, I glanced down at my watch. "It's getting on 10 o'clock!" I cried. "I thought he'd just gone home after I fell asleep under that tree."

Mom came and stood in the door of my room, still on the phone and frowning. "That's not like him at all."

"...Well, it's not like I'm his only friend. It's summer, Mom, c'mon. Tell Mrs. Desalio I'm sure Jake's fine. He can take care of himself," I reasoned.
It was true. Jake had always been the bolder and more adventurous of the two of us, the one egging me on to push myself further. It was just one more thing I appreciated about him.

Mom repeated what I had said into the phone, then smiled. "She says you're right, and thank you," she chuckled. Mom retraced her steps down the hall, and I turned back to my game.

When it got to be midnight, my bed was calling me. I had just turned out the light and pulled up the covers when something struck my window, hard, shaking it in its frame. I sat bolt upright at a howling noise, and I realized it was a powerful wind. The wind stopped as quickly and ominously as it had started, to be replaced with a smaller, more persistent rattling noise. A face appeared in the window. "Jake!" I said softly in surprise, and I jumped up to undo the latch and let him in.

His hands were smeared with dirt and his eyes wide as he clambered over the sill. "Henry," he panted. "The spookiest thing just happened to me. I think I'm going crazy. You've got to help!"

"Jake, of course I'll help, but you've got to tell me what's going on. Where have you been?"

"I was...out...on my way home," he stuttered. "And then it...jumped out of the dark at me, Henry, knocked me over onto the ground!"

"What, did a dog go after you? It wasn't a coyote, was it, Jake?"

"No, no...you won't believe me, but I'd stake my life it was...looked like one of your...Pokémon."

I couldn't believe my ears for a moment. "You think you were attacked just now by a Pokémon?! On your way back from...where again? What did it look like?"

"Doesn't matter where I was," Jake snapped. I pulled back in surprise at his tone, and he grimaced. "Sorry, Henry. Tense I guess," Jake muttered. To be honest with you I don't remember much of what it looked like, I was feeling so scared and trapped. It had big feet with claws, and kind of silvery all over, but its face was dark."

I hesitated for a moment, not sure what to say. "Well there's no way, it just couldn't have been a Pokémon, of all things. They're not real, Jake, nothing but creatures out of a video game. But I guess something must have gone after you. You reckon you ought to stay here for the rest of the night?"

Jake looked up at me, and for the tiniest instant I could've sworn I saw a flash of panic. "No, I'll be fine to go home," Jake assured me. "There's no danger anymore. The thing told me what it wanted to, so there's no reason for it to come back."

I reached out and grabbed my friend's shoulder. "Hold up a minute there, you never said anything about being told something. It talked to you?"

"Well no, not talked exactly," Jake said. "But the whole time it was standing over me, pinning me down, staring at me...it's like I was getting a message, it didn't make a sound, but it was still communicating something to me. I got the strongest sense of...disaster."

My eyes flew open wide. That word jogged my memory, and the brief description Jake had provided me suddenly made sense. "But that sounds like..."

Jake whipped around to face me, desperate to hear the insight I was able to give him after all.

"...Absol. The Disaster Pokémon."

I didn't hear from Jake all the next day. Mrs. Desalio told me that my best friend wasn't feeling well and couldn't see anyone when I went and knocked on her door. She looked distraught, and I couldn't blame her. The Absol, if that's what it was, had probably gotten Jake someplace with its claws or horns, and she wouldn't know what to make of it. But I knew I couldn't say anything. She wouldn't believe me. I didn't know if I could believe it myself. So I went back home, not feeling up to finding some of my other friends. I felt something was wrong, but I had no idea what to do about it.

As the day wore on I got more and more restless, to the point that even my parents noticed it. After dinner my dad jokingly suggested I go get some exercise, but it turned out to be all the invitation I needed. I slipped on my running shoes and practically sprinted out the door.

A bank of clouds hid the setting sun, so it was already somewhat dark and cool for a summer evening. I let my legs take me where they would, and sooner or later I found myself jogging past the school Jake and I attended. James K. Polk, home of the Diamondbacks. I smiled a bit as I looked over its familiar shape. For as much as we liked to complain about all the time we spent at that K through 12 school, and the two years we still had to go, it did mean a lot to us for all the growing up that had happened there through our young lives.

I had turned my steps back toward home when, over the noise of my own feet, I heard what sounded like someone else running up behind me. A moment's glance over my shoulder was all the time I had before I very nearly was knocked over by someone crashing into me. I threw the person off and put up my fists before I realized it was only Jake.

"Henry!" he cried, with the same hunted look in his eyes as when he'd climbed in through my window the previous night. "It happened again!"

I was in shock. "You saw the...the Absol again?"

Jake shook his head frantically. "No, no, not that one. I think it was another Pokémon."

I had thought I was in shock before, but that news blew me away totally. "That's nuts!" I exclaimed. "What did it look like?"

"It wasn't anything like a real creature. It floated in the air, it was all round and flat like a frisbee, but upright, and a greenish-blue color like old copper."

I knew that one right away. "Bronzor," I told him with a snap of my fingers. "Tell me what happened! What did it do?"

My friend's eyes darted around in his head. "It didn't touch me, didn't even get close really, but it still felt like...I couldn't move, same as before. I was running, but suddenly it was as though the air was molasses, and my feet stuck to the ground, and the whole earth was pulling me down. It floated round and round me in circles, always staring at me. It never blinked, felt like it was staring right into my soul. There was a kind of flashing light, almost hypnotic, and it was...I saw...all my emotions, my..."

Jake trailed off, then closed his mouth, like he had said something he hadn't meant to. "All your what?" I pressed.

"Nothing," he growled. "All my emotions. Then the...Bronzer?...just sort of floated off."

I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. My friend had started encountering Pokémon? In the real world, in my own hometown? I wanted to find out more. "It floated off? Where was it, which direction? Maybe it's still somewhere close by!"

Jake glanced behind him. "It was the same place as Absol, up by the..." Then he seemed to think better of it. "Just around here. I was...out."

My eyes narrowed. Things weren't adding up. Jake wasn't acting like Jake. My best friend wasn't moody and he wasn't secretive, at least not to me. He wasn't prone to running around town at night all by himself. And the direction it had looked like he was indicating, where the Pokémon had appeared, was out by JKP school, near the edge of town. Not much else was out there where he could've had any possible reason to be.

And out of nowhere, it clicked for me.

"You're trying to be a Fang, aren't you?" I accused. Jake's panicked look and tense posture were all my answer. The Fangs were a local gang. They chose their name half in respect and half in mockery of the Diamondbacks, mascot of JKP, where they did a lot of recruiting. "This explains everything!" I ranted. "You're going through their initiation, up at the school! That's why the Pokémon have been appearing: they're a warning for you. Absol, to warn you about the disaster where this is heading, and Bronzor, to show you the gravity of what you're doing. How could you, Jake? You know what the Fangs are like! They're all about drugs and vandalism and stealing and terrorizing good, innocent folks! But you've been given a chance. This has to end now!"

"Ay, shut up, Henry!" Jake shouted back. "What do you know, anyway? It's just me, and my mom, and I have to look out for both of us now! It's not easy. The Fangs can give me protection, and opportunities. I have to do this!"

I did understand what he was saying. Life hadn't been as tough on me as it had so far on Jake. But past all his words and his attitude, I could still see my friend in those eyes. Jake, I thought, was scared. He was in over his head, it wasn't him, and he knew it.

I stepped forward and held out my hand. "No, you don't," I whispered.

This time I could hear the quaver in his voice. "I've already done two nights. It's too late. Tomorrow is the third night of initiation, the last one. I don't...have a choice anymore. I'm going to be one of them." He took a deep, shuddering breath, then looked me dead in the eye, with an unspoken challenge. "The Fangs will welcome me."

I stared back at him, my heart heavy, then without a word I turned around and started walking home.

Same as before, I didn't hear from Jake all that next day, though I could barely stop thinking about him, praying he'd turn out all right in the end. It was about two hours after dinner when Mom barged into my room. "I just got off the phone with Jake's mom," she told me in a rush. "He's been hurt. Get in the car!" I was off my bed in an instant.

Mom told me what she had heard from Mrs. Desalio as we drove to the emergency clinic. "Someone came across him while they were out walking their dog. He was lying unconscious in the middle of the street, up near your school. But the weird thing is, it wasn't a car that got him. It looked like someone beat him up, and he was covered in these strange, zigzag-shaped red scratches."

When we got to his room, I went straight over to my friend's bedside. He was awake, curled up in a ball on his side, whimpering about something. The scratches covered Jake's entire body, but they didn't look very deep at all; most had already scabbed. I bent over and whispered, "Jake? How are you doing, buddy?"

I got no response, so I tried again. "What happened? Was it another Pokémon?"

Jake's eyes locked on to my face, wide with terror. "Thief! Thief! Thief!" he moaned softly.

I crouched down to be level with his face. "It's okay now, it's gone. But I don't know how I can help unless you tell me."

"There were so many of them, and I couldn't get away!" Jake stammered. "Henry, they knew! They were coming for me, they knew I was a...thief!"

After Mom and I returned home from visiting Jake, I spent a long time thinking about what he had said. He had admitted to stealing something, and I could guess the identities of the Pokémon that had attacked him. It was a situation I had become familiar with playing Explorers of Sky. But...that was just a game, wasn't it? A made-up scenario, meant for punishing made-up thieves? And what about the two other Pokémon encounters that had led up to that moment? I looked down at the game cartridge lying on my palm.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. But what real mysteries do you hold?

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
"If you were to design a Pokémon professor, what would he or she look like? How would they speak? What sort of background would they have? What would their specialty be? You can write this as a character sheet, short story, or some sort of introductory scene."

And this is the second piece for November. Let me know what you think of it!
"Officer Justin Casey, conducting."

The policeman pulled his hat more firmly down over his short, teal hair, then took a seat. Opposite, in another hard metal chair like his own, sat the witness.

"Your name?" he asked in a bored tone.

"Sequoia Violet Aspen."

The witness—a woman—answered in a quiet voice, but one that was steady and firm in spite of her circumstances. The officer scrutinized her appearance as she responded. The petite woman sat compactly, legs crossed and arms folded in her lap. Her eyes were lavender; a jacket of the same color complemented her crisp white blouse and gray skirt. Curly dark brown hair, betraying just the slightest silvery tinge of age, was piled on top of her head. The woman was not quite old, but not young either: in her early fifties, was the officer’s guess. He nodded at the woman’s name; he had expected it, because of course everyone in the region knew who she was. She looked exactly like herself, as she was supposed to. Nevertheless, at the same time she looked exactly like someone else: someone it would be better for her if she wasn’t.

“So you say,” he scowled. “But couldn’t you just as well be a different person? How do I know you’re not your twin sister, Magnolia Rose Aspen, the Foria City Gym Leader?” As quickly as it had hardened, the officer’s tone lapsed back into a detached monotone. “Well, I’ll tell you how. With this.” From under the table he produced a sleek laptop. “Taken as evidence. The personal work computer of the famed Professor Aspen. Sequoia Aspen, that is. However—oh no—it appears to be fingerprint-locked. So, Professor, if you would.” The officer placed the laptop neatly on the table and slid it across to his witness.

The woman stiffened with resolve. "My life's work is stored on that computer. It's groundbreaking research! I don't want the entire Masolin Town police force digging through my notes."

The officer looked down and flipped through a clipboard of papers on his lap. "You study...Pokémon population patterns, correct? Trading, migration, and the like?" The professor hesitated, then nodded curtly. "Huh, sounds boring," the officer snorted. "Your right to confidentiality is still intact, don't worry. No data will be taken from you. All I need to see is an unlocked desktop."

The woman pulled her laptop protectively close and one hand, perhaps instinctively, went to a Poké Ball on her belt. "What if I refuse?" she returned, her voice still quiet but now edged with challenge.

It did not escape the policeman that his witness had a full team of six Pokémon, while he himself wasn't carrying any, but he waved a hand dismissively. A signal was generated within the police station that blocked the use of all Poké Balls which hadn't been specially registered for use by law enforcement. "Refuse if you like," he sighed. "Go home. You're the one who came to us asking for our help. We'll gladly help, but we require your cooperation." Even as he tried to convince this key witness otherwise, the officer knew he and his team wouldn't be giving up on this case so easily. Some facts from the initial report were already known to him. A trio of starter Pokémon had been stolen from the woman's laboratory. Her sister, under whose care the laboratory had been placed while the professor was away, had been reported missing. Also missing was the professor's newly-hired lab assistant, who had supposedly returned to his native Portalain City for a family emergency, but apparently did so without leaving behind any documentation whatsoever of his travels. The officer suspected that there was more to the case than met the eye, and that scared him. He knew it could be nothing, but he also knew it could mean a greater danger than anyone yet realized.

After shuffling hesitantly in her seat, the professor ultimately complied. The officer's piercing amber eyes never left the computer as she unlocked it, but her fingerprint was accepted without issue. He smiled disarmingly, and visibly relaxed. "Professor Sequoia Violet Aspen. Pleased to meet you. Now, from the top. Tell me what happened."

Merushii

Wings of Starlight
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Rin
December Prompts

📖 ----- 📖

Non-Pokémon: Think about your favorite fairy tale. Now, give it a makeover and write it in a different way! Did you want the ending to be different? Perhaps you want to flip it upside down and change the villains?

Pokémon or Non-Pokémon: Ask any person, on the forum or otherwise, two truths and a lie about themselves (or use the thread!). Then, proceed to write about a character for whom all three of these are true.

Pokémon or Non-Pokémon: The dog/canine Pokémon of the family suddenly went missing for over a week. When it returns, it is clear something isn't quite right...

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
So, I ran away from home a while back... I don't know where I am, nor who I am. Not quite sure how long it's been since I was home. I don't remember much about home, I remember humans petting me and caring for me. But not much else. A while ago, I had taken a look around. There's a burnt building, a strange bird overhead, and a ton of snow. I usually shouldn't be out here, snow is fine enough but if it melts in my presence then I'm at risk. I'm cold, alone, and hungry. There's an eevee over there, it should make for easy... No, I won't prey on what I once was. But it's got meat and it looks so tasty.

I let out a loud roar, so loud that I can't even believe it. I'm not a cuddly little flareon now. What happened back in that tower? A few quick flashes of memory... I see me, and my siblings huddled for warmth in a little box. We're being carried away by humans, our humans. Oh how I miss them. They used elemental stones on us, they treated us right. Kou and Sui were electric and water respectively, What was my name before? I remember my element, fire, and it all comes rushing back. We had run away from home in an attempt to explore, we sheltered from a strong blizzard in the tower. I couldn't have gotten too far from Ecruteak. I... Oh right, we died in that fire. But how am I here? Why am I here? I look around again, I see something large and yellow in the distance. It couldn't be, but I know it is. Kou is there, he survived like me but how? A large blue blur dashes past me, Sui, I think.

Here we are in the wilderness headed homeward. The three of us dashed back towards the house. We returned to find it in ruin, disrepair, almost as though no one had lived here in years. How long has it been? As I looked around Ecruteak, I saw many buildings I didn't remember things that would have taken forever to build in place of things that would take just as long to demolish. Could it be possible that we've been gone for centuries now. I decided to check the graveyard, just to be sure. Surely they were still alive, my humans couldn't be dead. We couldn't possibly have been gone for centuries. As I looked at the tombstones the reality sunk in. Our humans were dead, perhaps they'd found our ashes in the tower and mourned. I let out a loud cry, Sui and Kou responded in kind. We were no longer evolutions of eevees, we were something more and also less. With our home in ruin and our humans deceased, we returned to the burnt remains of the brass tower. Here we would sleep until the time came to awaken and explore Johto again. These days, humans know us as The Legendary Beasts. Kou is now Raikou, Sui is Suicune, and I am Entei. According to legend, our mysterious benefactor is the legendary bird Ho-Oh.

Probably worth noting that this one is pretty dark. I probably should have mentioned that earlier. Kinda hard to avoid going dark when the tale involves a possible interpretation of the Legendary Beasts' origin. Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Last edited:

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
So, I ran away from home a while back... I don't know where I am, nor who I am. Not quite sure how long it's been since I was home. I don't remember much about home, I remember humans petting me and caring for me. But not much else. A while ago, I had taken a look around. There's a burnt building, a strange bird overhead, and a ton of snow. I usually shouldn't be out here, snow is fine enough but if it melts in my presence then I'm at risk. I'm cold, alone, and hungry. There's an eevee over there, it should make for easy... No, I won't prey on what I once was. But it's got meat and it looks so tasty.

I let out a loud roar, so loud that I can't even believe it. I'm not a cuddly little flareon now. What happened back in that tower? A few quick flashes of memory... I see me, and my siblings huddled for warmth in a little box. We're being carried away by humans, our humans. Oh how I miss them. They used elemental stones on us, they treated us right. Kou and Sui were electric and water respectively, What was my name before? I remember my element, fire, and it all comes rushing back. We had run away from home in an attempt to explore, we sheltered from a strong blizzard in the tower. I couldn't have gotten too far from Ecruteak. I... Oh right, we died in that fire. But how am I here? Why am I here? I look around again, I see something large and yellow in the distance. It couldn't be, but I know it is. Kou is there, he survived like me but how? A large blue blur dashes past me, Sui, I think.

Here we are in the wilderness headed homeward. The three of us dashed back towards the house. We returned to find it in ruin, disrepair, almost as though no one had lived here in years. How long has it been? As I looked around Ecruteak, I saw many buildings I didn't remember things that would have taken forever to build in place of things that would take just as long to demolish. Could it be possible that we've been gone for centuries now. I decided to check the graveyard, just to be sure. Surely they were still alive, my humans couldn't be dead. We couldn't possibly have been gone for centuries. As I looked at the tombstones the reality sunk in. Our humans were dead, perhaps they'd found our ashes in the tower and mourned. I let out a loud cry, Sui and Kou responded in kind. We were no longer evolutions of eevees, we were something more and also less. With our home in ruin and our humans deceased, we returned to the burnt remains of the brass tower. Here we would sleep until the time came to awaken and explore Johto again. These days, humans know us as The Legendary Beasts. Kou is now Raikou, Sui is Suicune, and I am Entei. According to legend, our mysterious benefactor is the legendary bird Ho-Oh.

Probably worth noting that this one is pretty dark. I probably should have mentioned that earlier. Kinda hard to avoid going dark when the tale involves a possible interpretation of the Legendary Beasts' origin. Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

I really love this story, very well-written! Makes me feel for the Legendary Beasts ;-;

Mystical

Isabel
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
:( that's sad... Maybe Entei's name was Tei before? To follow with the theme. I have heard a theory where the Legendary trio were originally eeveelutions, which makes sense. But I personally wish GF or whoever created Pokemon could confirm or deny those theories.

Will try to write one entry for this month

Merushii

Wings of Starlight
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Rin
January Prompts

📖 ----- 📖

Non-Pokémon: You're in class, just as any normal day, when you notice there's a new student sitting in a front corner desk. When the bell rings, you head over to talk to them. You quickly realize, with the strange looks you're getting, that no one else can see them...

Pokémon: Choose one of your favorite songs and think about the lyrics. Base your story on those in the fictional world of Pokémon!

Pokémon or Non-Pokémon: Your race (or species) has never seen the world below the clouds because they never knew it existed. Everything has changed, opening up an entirely new and strange world...

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
Oh boy new writing prompts. Let's see if I can do all three in one post. (This may take two spoilers at minimum) As usual feedback is welcome and appreciated

As per usual it was just another standard day in the academy. Trap finding 101 is such a boring subject to teach, but it opens doors to other subjects that I can teach with greater ease... Assuming the students choose to take them, dang electives making it harder to teach prospective rogues the ropes. It seemed odd at the time, but I swear there was one extra student. I assumed they were a transfer student, probably not from the Underdark. When I attempted to call them up to introduce themselves to the rest of the class, there was no reaction. Once I heard the bell, I made my way from my desk to theirs. "Excuse me, but you didn't introduce yourself." I explained, but there was no response. I looked around, the other students were looking at me with discomfort. I knew they were likely thinking that their professor had lost his mind. I then felt weird, as though I was being teleported to another realm. "Mages, always with the teleportation magic. This isn't funny, you know." I'd said only to get strange looks from the folks around me. It was as though they'd never seen a drow before. These strange humans had odd devices, like bricks but with glass. I noticed the strange student from before. "Hey, nice costume bro. You actually look like a drow, what did you use blue paint?" I couldn't comprehend what he'd meant by costume. "Uh, I'm sorry but I'm actually a drow. This isn't a costume." He seemed to nod at this and then responded "Ah, a method actor. I got ya. How art thou this fine summer day in America?" This strange word must have meant a kingdom, odd I'd never heard of it. "America? Tell me, who is the king of this land." He seemed bewildered for a moment. "Um, look props for the fish out of water act. But seriously, if you could drop it for a moment that would make communication a little easier. Where are you from? Your accent sounds vaguely Scottish." This new word surprised me, so I decided I must inquire about it. "First off, human, it's not an act. Second off, I hail from the Underdark and teach classes at the Rogue's University of the Underdark. Thirdly, what is Scottish? I've never heard that word in my life." He seemed to understand after a while. "Oh, I heard the Large Hadron Collider was able to open portals to other universes. Never put much stock in it, but now I'm confronted with living breathing proof." He could see that I was perplexed. "The 'magic' that brought you into our world is science here. I'm Octavian, I'm a student at the University of Texas, and I have no idea how to help you get back. I guess you're stuck here now." I frowned trapped forever in an unusual world perhaps eventually another portal will open and I shall wait until such time as I can return.

I woke up in a lab surrounded by test tubes and beakers. In front of me stood another pikachu that looked familiar. I looked at my paws and she looked at hers. I moved right and so did she, I tried moving left and she did the same. I could hear a human scientist behind me say something odd. "Aw, you two are adorable. Electra, it's like you're looking in a mirror. I know it's strange." Electra was her name but it seemed like it might be mine too. It felt familiar, as if a distant memory flooding back. The scientist smiled continuing to speak while holding some sort of device to his ear. "Yes, it all went according to plan. Tell the boss that his top geneticist can now move on to cloning the mythical pokemon Mew. We'll be rich! Ransom off clones to the highest bidder and keep the originals, no one will suspect they've got a carbon copy!" Clone sounded weird, is that what I am or is she. "Look, we're calling the prototype Tesla. Hold on, I'll switch to the monitor so you can actually see her next to Electra." The scientist walked towards the rectangular prism below a thin rectangle mounted on the wall and pressed a button. The rectangle lit up and displayed some strange person's face. He was wearing a hat with an R on it. "Fascinating, and you used one of Electra's skin cells?" The scientist nodded. "How did you hatch her?" The scientist then explained the details of how cloned pokémon can be made within an artificial egg. "Good, good. The boss will be very impressed with your work, Doctor Fuji. Or at least the proof of concept." The scientist then responded "Yeah, it's gonna be weird having two Electra's always hanging around. I mean, Tesla's a perfect copy. Every single chromosome is a hand-me-down" I put out my paw towards Electra. "The two pikachu are still not quite sure of each other though. Perhaps more intelligence is a necessity in later clones. I can keep Electra, but I want to give Tesla to a good home. Perhaps we can find a worthwhile member of the team." The man in the hat seemed to agree. "I'm going on a coffee run for the boss soon, I can take her off your hands." Fuji nodded "Yes, that would suffice. Such a shame I'll never be famous for this, think of how big a breakthrough we've made." The man nodded in response "Look, you know the drill. No talk shows, no signing autographs, and no word getting out about this. The boss wants to be ahead of the technological curve, this is important stuff we're doing."

The song I used for the basis of the Pokemon story was "I Think I'm A Clone Now" by Weird Al Yankovic.

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Well this is the first time I'm doing this, so I'd love any form of feedback!
I rested my chin against the desk, trying to ignore the sheer cold that seemingly trying to pierce through my clothes. I shuddered a bit as the class slowly filled in, my eyes staring at the open door with mild interest. Friends, acquaintances, I had a record for having spoken to each one of the people in my class so I was always in the loop, it was something my older brother had taught me while I was still in Elementary school. I applied it all throughout my Middle school to great results and so far High school seemed to be the same. I softly hummed to myself, lethargically waving to my friends that sat in their respective seats. We had been made to shuffle seats and I was in the first row from the window, second only to the corner seat, which I remember being empty for the whole of the first term. To my surprise, a girl with dark hair and purple highlights took the seat. I blinked a few times in confusion due to being unable to put a name to the face, was she new? I lightly tapped my pen against her shoulder which made her flinch in response, as if she wasn’t expecting to actually interact with anyone. The response startled me, but I held out my hand as in to acquaint myself with this student who seemed to have just transferred in the middle of the year all of a sudden. She ignored the gesture and turned her attention to the board. Okay that kind of hurt…no big deal! I’ll try to introduce myself later.

The girl had styled her hair in a very showy fashion. An assortment of accessories and highlights made her seem almost impossible to ignore, plus her hair smelled like she had dunked it into a chemical solution of twenty different hair products. The stench was unbearable, but no one even glanced in her direction…What was going on?

The teacher entered into the room a few minutes later and started taking attendance. I tried to shrug off the cold attitude of the new girl and the weird vibes I was getting from everyone else. The teacher reached the name “Augustine” which seemed pretty futile since I remembered that girl had never shown up the whole of last term-

“Here.” A monotone voice rang out from the desk in front of me, startling me. I blinked a few times as the teacher kept repeating the name and the girl with the purple highlights continued to respond to it. He marked her off as absent and she seemed to not mind as she lowered her hand without a fight. I looked around in confusion, the rest of the class seemed to have not even have heard her…

I intercepted her after the class ended, trying to calm the doubts in my mind. She tried to walk past me, but I persisted until she sighed and folded her arms in frustration “This is public harassment.”

“It is not- You’re Augustine right? Did you just join or something? Your name has been on the attendance sheet all of first term. Weird mix up huh?” I laughed a bit lightheartedly, but her expression didn’t change at all. She paused for a few seconds before saying something that I didn’t expect

“I was here in the first term as well. You just didn’t notice me.” Her voice was firm as she lightly tapped her arm before continuing “The last person who noticed me was Miranda...I suggest you get used to the silent treatment.” She mumbled without an explanation before heading in the direction to the lunch hall.

Miranda? Wasn’t she the girl who left after the first day? She seemed cheerful and friendly, but a bit odd since she seemed to be talking to herself a lot. We all just assumed she went to a psych center as she seemed a bit unstable when she demanded us to see her imaginary friend. After that first day, her desk was empty, but the teachers called her name everyday even though they were met with no response. I tried to not think about it and instead went along with the rest of my day…

I rested my chin against the desk, trying to ignore the sheer cold that seemingly trying to pierce through my clothes. I shuddered a bit as the class slowly filled in, my eyes staring at the open door with mild interest. However no one looked at me, some pointed at my desk with curiosity, but no one looked at me directly. Weird…guess it was some kind of prank. When Augustine entered the room, her eyes seemed to be rather saddened when she looked at me. No words were exchanged as she sat in front of me.

The teacher entered the room soon after a few minutes, carrying his attendance book with him as usual. He quieted down the class before taking attendance. He called out Augustine’s name a couple times before marking her absent. What was going on? “Terrance?” the teacher called out my name gruffly.

“Here.” I raised my hand absentmindedly as I yawned, deciding to not worry so much about whatever was going on with Augustine.

“Terrance? Did anyone see him today?” The teacher looked around in confusion.

I tilted my head in confusion before raising my hand higher, but the teacher seemed to be unable to see me…My blood ran cold as I looked around to see that no one could see me...no one, but Augustine. I looked over to her, only to be met by an uncharacteristically soft, understanding smile on her face.

“He’s never been absent before…Odd.”
That’s really interesting Godot! A very different take while I took the concept to the letter ^^;

Last edited:

Stralend

Dreamer of Faith
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Star; Sara;
Time Zone
GMT + 1
3DS FC
5413-1220-4222
Oh yes I loved these, lets give it a go! Thanks for hosting Merushii!
People have always told me that once you grow old enough and you lose the ability to fly, you vanish from our world. It is like death but worse, can you imagine that? I had never thought of it on my own, but my gran always told me stories about her friends vanishing to never return. I always asked why gran wasn't going, if she didn't miss her friends, but the answer was always no. I just couldn't believe it, as there was nobody left of her age group at all, and all her friends were gone.
"Yula you have to remember, I got you and you're the most important in my life." I nodded at my gran, she of course was right, she was the only one I had left of my family, so I hoped she would never leave me.

~~~​

"I'm sorry Yula, I am not strong enough to stay, I bet you a farewell."

"But gran..."

"Don't worry my dear. I'll be always there to watch over you."

I watched her slowly lose grip on reality and fall through the floor, which was all white and fluffy. First her graceful legs went through, then her tail, until in the end there was only the tip of her wings that were still visible. They remained there, and I stayed there. The hours became days, and eventually someone came looking for me. It was my old primary school teacher, who realised she hadn't heard anything about my gran at all anymore.

She entered the room I was sitting in and saw me staring, knowing what it meant. I looked horrible, my hair was all tangled, and even though it was tied to my back it still had the disgrace of being in the same position for a long while. My eyes were all wet, and yet I kept staring to those white shining points of light, not knowing where I would end up.

"Yula, Yula." A voice from far away called my name. "Yula, come back to me." It continued and I wondered who was talking to me. Why couldn't I be left alone with those two little starry points, everything I had left of my gran.

"Yula, little girl come back to me, your time is not yet." I remembered that voice. The tone it spoke and the softness, I knew it from somewhere far away. I turned my head and was just in time so see two firm hands embracing me.

"Sssh, it's okay. Your gran is fine. Didn't she tell you?" The lady wept my tears and held me in a tight hug until I felt calm again.

"What did she have to tell me? There is nothing left to say, she's gone." I said with tears in my eyes. My voice cracked as I spoke, realising I didn't drink anything at all in the past five days, time went fast.

"There is a world, a world under the clouds, where us Winged Ones go to once our time in the clouds has passed. Nobody knows where we go, but when it's time we peacefully leave this place, knowing everyone we care for is looked after."

"Is that," I took a breath. "Is that why gran stayed so long? Because she didn't know what would happen to me?" I was shocked, I never knew this at all, and wondered what would have happend if nobody would ever look after me.

"Listen to me Yula, your grandmother came to me about three weeks ago, saying she couldn't hold on any longer, and that she had to let you go, asking me to take care of you. I hadn't decided on an answer yet, and she didn't need one, but I now realise she asked it so I could consider it. She was being dragged through the white, and knew she didn't have a lot of time left. I am sure she held on those years for you, so you would be able to learn happiness instead of just sadness." She looked me into my eyes and hughed me tightly, and I let her. It had been years since I last got such a tight hug.

Gran had been losing her strenght, I knew it, but I didn't dare to ask about it. I had been doing most the chores in the house, yet gran always manged to tell me some of her stories, of how my parents were, and of how schooling was during her time. She never failed to give me a smile on my face, and for that I thanked her.

Thank you gran, for everything you've done for me, and for staying with me for so long. I nodded at the small sparkling points from the fluffy floor as I thought that, and they slowly vanished, knowing I wouldn't be on my own, and even if I would end up alone, I would be able to hold on.

@Moxie : wow, that was absolutely amazing, the thrill I had in reading that. It build up to a climax that I didn't expect. Also, try to be aware if you're writing to pick a time, because you were writing in the past, and then all of a sudden switched to the present once, it's of cource all right to switch when you start dialogue, but that's what I think of it. Thanks again for the thrill.^^

Last edited: