📖 °Monthly Writing Prompts° 📖

Merushii

Wings of Starlight
Administrator
AKA
Rin
February Prompts

📖 ----- 📖

Non-Pokémon: The doorbell rings, and all that greets your character outside is a mysterious envelope on the doormat.

Pokémon: Today is your character's first day on the job as a gym leader. Write about their feelings and experiences.

Pokémon or Non-Pokémon: A group of friends stumble across a small shrine buried beneath the ground in the forest. After days of digging around it, they discover hidden scrolls of some sort inside...

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
IGN
Dragonite, usually
It's two in the morning so one of the characters is a dragon because why not

"Scrolls."

"Scrolls?" Ammy repeated, peering into the box. "Of all the things - why would anyone have -"

"Holy moly, these are old," Cassandra breathed, gingerly extracting the top one and unrolling it. "I don't know if I even want to breathe near these, they look like they'd crumble if you just look at them for too long."

"What's it say?" Ammy hissed, scurrying around behind Cassandra and craning her neck over her shoulder. "What - are those even words?"

"'The scrolls in this box contain every possible description of your death,'" she read aloud.

"What?"

"'They contain an exact description of your birth, every poem you have ever recited, every joke you have ever told, every lie you ever constructed, and everything that you have ever said or will ever say,'" she went on. "Gods above, this is hard to read."

"Does it really say that? That's ridiculous. The box is tiny."

"The letters are rather faded, but yes, that's what it says," Cassandra said, looking up at the dragon.

"Do you reckon that somebody built this shrine and buried these things just to get a laugh out of whoever found them?"

"This is all a million years old, who would have done that much work to make a fool out of someone who dug it up long after they died?"

"I don't know, maybe-"

"'These scrolls contain the answer to every question,'" Cassandra continued, looking back down. "'They contain the cure to the deadliest plague, the solution to the most vexing paradox, the precise events of the future, the weather of tomorrow, the nature of the Gods, and the answer to life itself.'"

"This has got to be a joke. There's only one other scroll in here, and it's not very big."

"That's all that was written on this one. Let's have a look." She carefully returned the first scroll to the box and picked up the second. "It looks like a list."

"This is a waste of time."

"Wait, let me read it."

"That's not what I would have called a prophecy of the future, Cass."

Cassandra ignored her. "'Each page in the Ethereal Library is stored in a shelf on a wall in a cell.'" She paused, trying to envision this. "'Each page is given a number. The contents of each page can be procured by' - oh, no, this looks dreadfully complicated."

"What even is that?" Ammy hissed, throwing her hands out and flapping her wings in frusturation. "Is that even words? Someone's trying to make a fool out of us."

"This goes on," Cassandra said, rolling out the scroll so she could read the rest of it. "It looks like a lot of math which does - I can't say I understand what it does."

"Just put it back. Let someone else deal with it. Let's go home."

"The last line says 'and with this final result, by converting each of the digits into characters according to the index below, you will be able to find everything that ever has, will or can be written or spoken,'" she said, not listening. "'With this knowledge, you will be able to find anything, as long as you know where to look.' And that's it. There's a list underneath, but it just looks like it's there to assign letters to numbers or something."

"This can't be real."

"I don't know."

"How can it be real?"

"Imagine describing a telescope to somebody who'd never seen one. If all you understood was fire and water, you'd never understand how a little tube with glass in one end could let you see the shapes and moons of far-off planets with your own eyes."

"What does that have to do with any of this?"

"I don't know," Cassandra sighed. "It's getting late. You're right, we should go home."

"What are you going to do with the scrolls?"

"I think I'll take it home, too," she thought, returning the contents to their box and closing it. "Dad doesn't get out much, I'll give them to him. Maybe he can figure out what to do with them." She took one last look at the shrine and started off through the trees.

"They're all really dry, they'd probably make a good fire starter," Ammy offered sarcastically, aiming a kick at a fallen branch as she scurried after Cassandra.

"To you, anything is a good fire starter."

"Yes, but these deserve it," the dragon argued. "That was a complete waste of time."

"I wouldn't go that far," Cassandra disagreed as the dragon caught up with her. "It raises some interesting questions."

"Now what are you talking about?"

"Even if you could find out the meaning of life and how you die, if there was some magical book or an equation that you could just use to look it up, would you want to?"

Shoutout to whoever knows what that's based on

Felly

chained to the rhythm
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Not quite February anymore for me, but I figured I'd go ahead and throw this up since it's still February in at least one part of the US. xD CnC welcomed! Story is titled The Meaning of the Scrolls.

As children, they were told not to wander into the forest without Pokemon. They listened. No one knew what dangerous creatures lurked in the forest for no one truly dared to go inside. Even with Pokemon, the villagers feared going into the forest. Those that did go in rarely returned and didn’t speak of what they saw, just that it was important to not go in at all. If villagers needed to go to nearby towns, they would go along the path and not stray from it. The forest’s dwellers didn’t go on the path.

As teenagers, they were told not to wander into the forest. They had Pokemon now, but they were reminded that they may not return if they entered. This time, they did not listen.

Sarah and Savannah entered the forest one morning after their chores. They had the rest of the day to themselves, and they wanted to explore the forest. The world outside of their village was wide open to them, and they wanted to see it for themselves. They had Pokemon and they had each other. Surely, nothing would happen to them if they were together.

Within an hour, they were lost. An hour after that, hunger set in. They brought snacks, but by sunset, their snacks were gone and they were still hungry.

A few drops of rain hit their bodies, and they made a run for it.

“Whew,” Sarah said, pushing the brown locks of hair that stuck to her forehead away. “Good thing this shrine was here.”

“Yeah, definitely,” Savannah said. “I wonder what’s inside though.”

Sarah shrugged, then led the way inside. As they made their way through, torches along the walls lit up. At the end of a long hallway was a shrine with a chest on it. Savannah ran up to it and pushed it open.

“No key needed, nice,” she commented before peeking inside. There were several scrolls inside. “Just scrolls? That’s not exciting.”

“What do they say?” Sarah asked, joining her sister at the chest. She picked one up and unrolled it. “I can’t read it.”

Savannah peered over her sister’s shoulder and shrugged. “Neither can I. It’s in some funky moonspeak language.”

The writing on the scroll was in odd shapes with dots in the middle of the circles. Sarah dropped the scroll back into the chest.

“Wait!” Savannah said as her sister made her way back to the exit. “Let’s take these home with us! Maybe someone back home can figure it all out.”

Sarah sighed, but she came back to drop the scrolls in her bag. Together, they returned to the village. The next morning, they gave the scrolls to the village leadership.

“This is written in the language of the Unown,” the leader said, unrolling the first. “This one says, ‘The forest’s creatures can be tamed with a sweet scent through the air. They do not like others entering their territory. Those who trespass will be attacked on sight.’”

“Well, that explains a lot,” one of the other village leaders said.

“These scrolls can help us immensely when it comes to figuring out the forest’s secrets,” the leader said. He turned to Sarah and Savannah. “We will continue to study these. Thank you for bringing them to us.”

“Of course!” the girls said.

That night, they stood at the edge of the village, near the rope fence that blocked their path to the forest. They could hear the howls of the creatures that were inside, but they didn’t dare enter. They knew what could happen if they did.

Soon, those fears would be no more though.

Merushii

Wings of Starlight
Administrator
AKA
Rin
March Prompts

📖 ----- 📖

Non-Pokémon: You decide to brighten up your room with a cute plant! You set it up by a window and that evening, just as the sun goes down and all is quiet, the plant begins to speak to you.

Pokémon: Your character's little sister desperately wants to learn how to perform in a Pokémon Contest. It's time for a practice battle! [Bonus: First person, any of the characters. The seasoned trainer/Pokémon, or one of the new and nervous newbies!]

Pokémon or Non-Pokémon: You are lost on the way down a mountain path in a rain storm. You come across a mansion and beg entry at the gates. You are wordlessly allowed inside, where you encounter the owners...who are most certainly not human.

Cynical_Toast

Professional Video Gamer
AKA
Charlie
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
This was originally supposed to be a silly comedy story but it sort of evolved into a creepypasta. Doesn't involve Pokemon, and I guess reader discretion is advised. First time writing one of these so feel free to critique

I don't know exactly what I expected to see in that fateful abandoned mansion, but whatever it was It was not what I found. I was just going on a casual hike on a cursed mountain; thing people do, you know? I was rudely interrupted, however, by the practically instantaneous instigation of an intense storm. I was in a panic, and I needed to find shelter fast, so I decided to run down into an abandoned mansion I caught on the trek up. Running down the slippery trail, escaping the chaotic storm, my mind inevitably raced to many different theories on what exactly I would encounter as I sought shelter. Maybe a ghost, a demon? The mansion supposedly was built on top of an ancient burial ground so I figured anything was possible. As I forcefully pushed open the doors and stepped inside, I saw something I couldn't have expected. I expected anything, but I still wasn't prepared for this.

11 upright Raccoons, all clad in black, human sized suits, surrounded the doorway as they all stared at me. They all held hands as they stared in the exact same spot, which happened to be where I stood. The blank, dead gaze of their tiny Raccoon eyes pierced right through me, which was enough of a cue for me to know it was time to leave. I immediately turned around, deciding to take my chances with the rain, but before I could leave the door instantly shut behind me. It took me a moment to register what had just transpired, as I still tried to walk out of the closed door. Soon enough, though, I realized my fate. Then I trembled. I shook intensely, my mind an absolute mess and unable to formulate a plan of action. I stood there for a good minute, until finally I slowly turned my body towards the Raccoons. They hadn't moved an inch, there faces still perfectly tuned a single spot. I don't know why exactly I did what I did next, but I decided the best course of action would be to start a dialogue with my cuddly captors.

"Hey there, you guys. I'm, uh, I'm Darrell. I run a... seafood shop down by the city. If you would be so kind as to let me out I'll give you free food! How about that?"

No response.

"You guys... ever get lonely in here? It's... like, really dark in here. You should..."

I didn't know what more to say. I just stood there, silent as a lamb, absorbing the tense atmosphere of the unlit foyer. The Raccoons didn't move an inch, even then, they just kept their eyes locked onto me. Eventually, I decided I had to do something, lest I stand there forever. So I tried to walk up to one of the Raccoons and shake their hand, which to my pleasant surprise, the Raccoon played along with. Finally, some progress I thought to myself. I figured I could eventually break them down and get them to let me go. I went to try and shake the hands of the rest of the Raccoons, aiming to finally break the ice. Only one problem, the first Raccoon wouldn't let go of my hand. I tried to pull away, but the Raccoon wouldn't budge, going back to its state of immobility. I only struggled for about half a minute, until my captors finally broke out of their seeming trance.

Without moving their legs, the 10 remaining Raccoons began to circle around me, practically sliding on the floor in perfect synchronization. Along the path they followed a green ring of light slowly began to form from the floor, growing increasingly intense as the movement continued. It appeared in the form of fire, but something felt off about it. It was ghastly, absolutely fantastical and out of this world. Demonic would probably have been an apt word to describe it, it gave off something of a malicious aura. The thing about that, though, is that this wasn't really that scary. The light was... so pretty, the ethereal shade of green defied any laws of color I thought existed in this world. It was so bright, too, that I felt my eyes start to water, yet I just continued to stare. The Raccoons had vanished, at this point, with the door to the outside reopening itself to the sight of a clear, storm-free nature. I didn't care, though, I just continued to be enchanted by the ghastly glow of the floorboards.

My body began to grew heavy, my retinas practically burning from the intensity of the circle. It was so pretty, so intense, yet it wasn't enough I wanted more I still wanted more! I couldn't just appreciate this light, I needed to embrace it, I needed to FEEL the light! I fell into utter despair, the idea of being separated from the light broke my spirit, I couldn't do that I couldn't leave it I Couldn't Leave it! My eyeballs, or the charred, dusty black patches of soot that remained of them, began to cry in a way I had never before. There were no tears, no noises, just the absolute madness of desire.

But then, when all hope had seemed lost, I found salvation. The light spoke to me, it heard my distress. It had finally recognized me and tried to embrace me. The light told me things: horrible, horrible things. I was horrified, yet at the same time I was in complete ecstasy. I was shown visions, no, memories of my fortunate kin. A young maiden, a feared general... a raccoon. 11, positively blessed souls, granted complete convergence with the brilliant light. The voice went quiet, but it was OK. It was all OK now, I could finally become whole. I positively giggled with joy, I was ready, I was ready I was ready! I dropped to my knees and broke into an unstoppable laughter. I was so happy, I was finally free, I could be one with the beauty. I cupped my hands around my face, and fully embraced the light. I was free.

Last edited:

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
"Where the hell have I ended up this time?" A figure looked down at his map. "Let's see here, I started closer to the peak..." He frowned, his ears pointed up slightly and his hair was an unusual shade of dark blue. "Do I still have the stone? Oh thank goodness, I don't know what I'd do without it. So home's up top and the humans set up their cities closer to the base... And that noise woke me up, the cannon fire primarily. If I had to guess those dumb primates are trying to kill each other... Again. I swear it's almost every century with these idiots." He looked towards the tree trying to determine from the moss which way lead down to the nearby human encampment. "This damn thing's doing me no good." The manakete dressed in a pinstripe suit threw his map to the ground. "What was I thinking, I'm no goddamn cartographer." He pulled a cigar out of his pocket and blew a small amount of fire onto it before sticking it in his mouth. He frowned smoking in the rain.

"Best get a move on, other wise I'll never get to give those humans a piece of my mind." He stated walking forward for quite a distance. He looked back up, he was nowhere nearer to the peak he'd called home and equally nowhere close to the mountain's base. What struck him as even more odd was that it seemed as if he hadn't changed position much at all. And suddenly there was a mansion that hadn't been there before. "That's odd..." He said aloud before attempting to open the gate. "For the love of Naga, let me in dammit. I'm drenched!" he called.

A strange being approached the gate from the opposite side. "Foul mouthed, aren't ya?" a feminine voice said in a tone that implied she'd been fed up with the cursing. "You don't want in. Not really. What you want is to express anger at those who woke you, Manakete." The being stated taking a more humanoid form "Consider this a warning. The gods don't like wrathful dragons. And for crying out loud stop smoking, it's bad for your health." The manakete stopped and stared for a moment confounded. "Gods are you?" He asked not really caring. "Which gods? Cause you certainly ain't Naga."

"Gods from another realm, Manakete." The woman said her eyes not expressing any emotion whatsoever while her tone seemed to betray boredom. "Call me Hela. Or Hel, either works really. I'm a goddess of death and considering this is a meeting house, you should be glad none of the Greeks, Celts, or Sumerians answered... Actually, you're lucky I haven't asked for some 'Hero' to remove you. I'm sure someone in here would like the thought of sending Siegfried or Beowulf after you." Hel's glare was icy cold as if she just didn't care. "Of course there are others far more warlike within my pantheon, namely that red haired honorary uncle of mine... Oh right, you wouldn't know Thor."

The manakete sighed "Look, I don't give a **** what your name is. Just let me in and allow me to get out of the rain. And stop calling me Manakete. I have a name and it's Radu." As he spoke the mansion seemed to vanish. He was still on the mountain, but the mansion was gone. "That was ****ing weird." With that he used his dragon stone to transform and fly back up to his peak. "The humans will stop within the next decade or two, then I'll have eighty more years to sleep before the next war begins... I hope."

Felly

chained to the rhythm
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Went for the contest based prompt for this one. And I even did first person!

Watching contests was always something that Stella and I did together. Ever since she was born and mom started leaving her with me, I would sit down on the couch with Stella and watch contests. It was a great way to introduce her to the Pokemon world.

“I want to learn how to be a coordinator!” Stella said one day as we were watching contests. I looked over at her.

“What?” I asked.

“I wanna be a coordinator!” Stella said. “Like the people on TV!”

I looked back at the TV and watched a coordinator release a Delcatty in a shower of sparkles and hearts. Stella’s eyes were glued to the TV again. The Delcatty was appealing with Charm in an attempt to woo the judges over to her side. Once their appeal was done, it cut to a commercial break.

“Hailey, come on! Teach me how to be a coordinator!” Stella said. “Watching contests is boring! I wanna actually do them!”

I shrugged and got up off the couch. “Okay. Gimme a minute to get a couple Pokemon then.”

I walked back into my room and looked at the six Poke Balls that sat on my desk. I wasn’t much of a coordinator, but I pretty much had the basics down from watching contests on TV over the years with Stella. I had six Pokemon, but it was just a collection of six I’d picked up over the years. Going on a Pokemon journey or being a coordinator didn’t really interest me. I wasn’t really sure what my place in the Pokemon world was, but right now, it was being a mentor to my little sister.

I returned to the living room with two Poke Balls as the contest we were watching was coming to an end. “Come on, Stella. Let’s go out back and do a practice round.”

“Wait! We need a judge!” Stella said. She jumped up from the couch and paused for a moment, looking around the room. “I know! I’ll get Mr. Fluffles to judge us.”

I shrugged and made my way to wait by the back door for Stella to get Mr. Fluffles. I wasn’t quite sure how a stuffed animal would judge a contest, but I wasn’t going to question it. Doing so would upset Stella, and that was the last thing I wanted to deal with right now.

She returned with the brown stuffed teddy bear, and when we went outside, she sat him on one of the lawn chairs we had on the porch. We stepped out into the yard.

“Okay, Stella, this is Torch. He specializes in Fire type moves, so get him to use the Fire type moves you know of when you make your appeal to Mr. Fluffles,” I said, handing her a Poke Ball.

“Got it!” Stella said. She tossed the ball into the air and out came a little Cyndaquil. The flames on his little back roared. “Oooh, a Cyndaquil!”

“Do you want to watch me appeal first, or do you want to make yours first?” I asked, holding the other Poke Ball in my hand.

“You go first! I wanna watch you do it first, Hailey!” Stella replied.

I shrugged. “Okay then,” I replied, tossing my ball into the air. “Come on out, Minnie!”

The Pokemon that emerged from my ball was a Medicham. She nodded to me as she emerged from her ball.

“Alright Minnie, today, we’re just practicing an appeal for a contest,” I told her. “So I want you to lead off with a Fire Punch, then follow it up with an Ice Punch.”

Minnie nodded as one of her fists became enveloped in flames. She swung it around for a moment, and then her whole body started to move, as if she were dancing. Suddenly, it was almost as if she was controlling the flames with her whole body and not just her fist. The other fist, the one that wasn’t enveloped in flames earlier, became covered in ice, and steam surrounded her as the fire and ice collided and clashed with each other.

When the steam cleared, Minnie bowed. I nodded to Stella.

“Your turn,” I told her.

“Oh,” she said. I hoped my appeal hadn’t curbed her initial enthusiasm for this. I guess I could’ve let her use Minnie, but I wasn’t sure if she was willing to listen to Stella. It took long enough for her to listen to me. “Okay! I got it! Torch, use Ember and follow it up with a Flame Wheel!”

Torch looked to me for a moment, as if he was seeking approval to listen to Stella. I nodded, and Torch blew out a short burst of flames before curling up into a ball and rolling forward. The flames that were on his back surrounded his whole body, and as he rolled forward and into the ball of flames he’d created just a moment ago, he burst through it and emerged covered in the flames. When he landed, they were all gone.

I heard clapping when Torch landed, and I jumped. I looked around for a moment until I realized it was just mom. I hadn’t even heard her come out onto the porch, but there she was.

“Mom!” Stella cried, running forward to hug her. “Did you see what Torch and I did? Did you, did you?”

“Yes, yes, I did,” she said, laughing. “You did a good job!”

“Really?” Stella asked, looking up at mom with shining eyes.

“Yes, really,” she replied. She looked at me too. “Both of you did. Now why don’t you and your Pokemon come inside and get ready for dinner.”

“Okay!” Stella said. “Come on, Torch! Let’s go!”

I nodded and led the way for Minnie and I to go inside. Perhaps one day, I would be sitting in the stadium, watching Stella perform in real contests, or I’d be like Mr. Fluffles, who I grabbed before I came inside, watching Stella practice her appeals while I judged them.