• Staff Applications

Hello fellow Marrilanders! We have reached a point for our staff team where recruiting new members is necessary — so we are opening up applications!
    If you are interested, you can find more information in this thread.

📖 °Monthly Writing Prompts° 📖

Merushii

Wings of Starlight
Administrator
AKA
Rin
February Prompts

📖 ----- 📖

Non-Pokémon: The doorbell rings, and all that greets your character outside is a mysterious envelope on the doormat.

Pokémon: Today is your character's first day on the job as a gym leader. Write about their feelings and experiences.

Pokémon or Non-Pokémon: A group of friends stumble across a small shrine buried beneath the ground in the forest. After days of digging around it, they discover hidden scrolls of some sort inside...

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
IGN
Dragonite, usually
It's two in the morning so one of the characters is a dragon because why not

"Scrolls."

"Scrolls?" Ammy repeated, peering into the box. "Of all the things - why would anyone have -"

"Holy moly, these are old," Cassandra breathed, gingerly extracting the top one and unrolling it. "I don't know if I even want to breathe near these, they look like they'd crumble if you just look at them for too long."

"What's it say?" Ammy hissed, scurrying around behind Cassandra and craning her neck over her shoulder. "What - are those even words?"

"'The scrolls in this box contain every possible description of your death,'" she read aloud.

"What?"

"'They contain an exact description of your birth, every poem you have ever recited, every joke you have ever told, every lie you ever constructed, and everything that you have ever said or will ever say,'" she went on. "Gods above, this is hard to read."

"Does it really say that? That's ridiculous. The box is tiny."

"The letters are rather faded, but yes, that's what it says," Cassandra said, looking up at the dragon.

"Do you reckon that somebody built this shrine and buried these things just to get a laugh out of whoever found them?"

"This is all a million years old, who would have done that much work to make a fool out of someone who dug it up long after they died?"

"I don't know, maybe-"

"'These scrolls contain the answer to every question,'" Cassandra continued, looking back down. "'They contain the cure to the deadliest plague, the solution to the most vexing paradox, the precise events of the future, the weather of tomorrow, the nature of the Gods, and the answer to life itself.'"

"This has got to be a joke. There's only one other scroll in here, and it's not very big."

"That's all that was written on this one. Let's have a look." She carefully returned the first scroll to the box and picked up the second. "It looks like a list."

"This is a waste of time."

"Wait, let me read it."

"That's not what I would have called a prophecy of the future, Cass."

Cassandra ignored her. "'Each page in the Ethereal Library is stored in a shelf on a wall in a cell.'" She paused, trying to envision this. "'Each page is given a number. The contents of each page can be procured by' - oh, no, this looks dreadfully complicated."

"What even is that?" Ammy hissed, throwing her hands out and flapping her wings in frusturation. "Is that even words? Someone's trying to make a fool out of us."

"This goes on," Cassandra said, rolling out the scroll so she could read the rest of it. "It looks like a lot of math which does - I can't say I understand what it does."

"Just put it back. Let someone else deal with it. Let's go home."

"The last line says 'and with this final result, by converting each of the digits into characters according to the index below, you will be able to find everything that ever has, will or can be written or spoken,'" she said, not listening. "'With this knowledge, you will be able to find anything, as long as you know where to look.' And that's it. There's a list underneath, but it just looks like it's there to assign letters to numbers or something."

"This can't be real."

"I don't know."

"How can it be real?"

"Imagine describing a telescope to somebody who'd never seen one. If all you understood was fire and water, you'd never understand how a little tube with glass in one end could let you see the shapes and moons of far-off planets with your own eyes."

"What does that have to do with any of this?"

"I don't know," Cassandra sighed. "It's getting late. You're right, we should go home."

"What are you going to do with the scrolls?"

"I think I'll take it home, too," she thought, returning the contents to their box and closing it. "Dad doesn't get out much, I'll give them to him. Maybe he can figure out what to do with them." She took one last look at the shrine and started off through the trees.

"They're all really dry, they'd probably make a good fire starter," Ammy offered sarcastically, aiming a kick at a fallen branch as she scurried after Cassandra.

"To you, anything is a good fire starter."

"Yes, but these deserve it," the dragon argued. "That was a complete waste of time."

"I wouldn't go that far," Cassandra disagreed as the dragon caught up with her. "It raises some interesting questions."

"Now what are you talking about?"

"Even if you could find out the meaning of life and how you die, if there was some magical book or an equation that you could just use to look it up, would you want to?"

Shoutout to whoever knows what that's based on