Monotype Mooster's Pokemon X Bug Monotype!

mr-mooster

Beginner Trainer
AKA
Brennan
I started this challenge before I joined the forums. I recently beat Grant in-game but I will summarize the playthrough up until now. Since it's a pretty big update, I will have spoilers to separate it into parts.

This is not a nuzlocke! I am just playing through the game with bug types. Early on, this type is incredibly weak and Grant poses a HUGE threat to the entire team.

I do have a rule which prevents me from using Revives in battle. This is to prevent myself from spamming and winning when I'm unprepared or through sheer luck. I also have battle style on Set.

I am playing as the male character named Liam with the dark skin tone.

I decided to pick Fennekin to give me a slight advantage over my "rivals". The first bug type I encounted was a Weedle, which I named Spike. Then, I got a Scatterbug named Flutter, and a Caterpie named Monarch. I then spent way too long looking for 2 Burmy, a male and a female. I finally got two and named the male Atlas and the female Luffia. After leveling up, Spike and Monarch fully evolved and Flutter evolved into Spewpa. It was time to fight Viola!

Team:
Butterfree M (Monarch)
Beedrill F(Spike)
Spewpa F (Flutter)
Burmy M (Atlas)
Burmy F (Luffia)

This fight wasn't so bad. I was able to beat Surskit and Vivillon relatively easily. I used Flutter to paralyze Vivillon, which helped a lot. I can't remember who took down Vivillon in the end. It was either Monarch or Spike. Flutter evolved into Vivillon after the fight.

After getting the 1st badge, Ledyba and Combee became available. I caught a Ledyba and named her Birdie and caught a female Combee which I named Honeybee. Birdie was sent to the PC and Honeybee joined the team!

Team at this time:
Butterfree M (Monarch)
Beedrill F (Spike)
Vivillon (Flutter)
Burmy M (Atlas)
Burmy F (Luffia)
Combee F (Honeybee)

I got a haircut and changed my color to brown. I also got the gray eye contacts. We went to fight Professor Sycamore. Monarch did great against Bulbasaur. We managed to defeat Charmander without too many issues. Squirtle was also not a challenge.

Now that Sycamore is out of the way, it's off to Parfume Palace to get the PokeFlute! Venipede and Nincada are available on this route. I caught a female Venipede which I named Millie and a male Nincada named Cicada. Both of them were boxed. At this time, Spike the Beedrill wasn't pulling her weight because of her extremely low defenses. I also bought the Sword's Dance and Struggle Bug TMs. Struggle Bug can be taught to a bunch of bug types and Spike can learn Sword's Dance, which will make her weak attack do tons more damage.

After dealing with Parfume Palace, I took care of Snorlax. On this route, I can catch Volbeat and Illumise. I haven't caught a Volbeat, but I did catch an Illumise, which I named June Bug. Around this time, both Atlas and Luffia evolved into Mothim and Grass Wormadam. Luffia's Hidden Power is fighting which will be super useful against Grant! I replaced Honeybee with June Bug. I wanted less Pokemon on the team with a 4x rock weakness, since Grant's fight is coming up. Illumise can also learn useful moves like Wish, Charm, Thunderbolt, and a few other good moves. I taught June Bug the Struggle Bug TM. She has Tinted Lens and has decent defenses, speed, and special attack. She may be a permanent member on the team!

Team:
Butterfree M (Monarch)
Beedrill F (Spike)
Vivillon (Flutter)
Mothim M (Atlas)
Wormadam F (Luffia)
Illumise F (June Bug)

We beat our "rivals" and made it to Cyllage City. I got the Rock Smash TM and taught it to Spike. Here, I got a Dwebble that I named Pincher. Pincher replaced Atlas on the team, to get rid of more team members 4x weak to bug. He also doesn't have great moves from being a Burmy. The team now is the one I used to beat Grant.

Team:
Butterfree M (Monarch)
Beedrill F (Spike)
Vivillon (Flutter)
Dwebble M (Pincher)
Wormadam F (Luffia)
Illumise F (June Bug)

After training the whole team to level 24, I decided it was time to challenge Grant. I was super nervous! Luffia has pretty good defenses, but a weakness to Amaura's Ice Type Take Down. Spike has terrible defenses and doesn't stand much of a chance if she gets attacked with a rock type move. I also plan on using June Bug's Wish and Charm for support against Tyrunt.

I can't remember the specifics, but Luffia did a great job against Amaura. She got two hidden Powers in before being knocked out. I can't remember who replaced her, but we defeated Amaura. I sent out June Bug against Tyrunt and minimized its attack stat with Charm. Then, I used Wish and switched into Spike. I had Spike use Sword's Dance. Thankfully, she was healed with Wish. Tyrunt got a lot of critical hits for some reason. One Sword's Dance boosted Rock Smash from Spike did >50% damage to Tyrunt. Spike took down Tyrunt and Grant was defeated!

After this, I decided to move around the team a little bit. I swapped out Spike for Mille the Venipede. Venipede already has better defense than Spike. I also love Scolipede more than Beedrill. I also took Monarch off the team and put Honeybee back on. I've used Butterfree a lot in previous playthroughs so I wanted to try using some other Pokemon. I leveled up Honeybee a few times and she evolved into Vespiquen.

Now, we're all caught up! I'm currently training Millie and Honeybee so they can catch up to the rest of the team. I am also using Sweet Scent over and over again looking for a Yanma.

Vivillon F (Flutter)
Modest
Shield Dust
None
Psybeam
Struggle Bug
Stun Spore
Draining Kiss

Wormadam F (Luffia)
Relaxed
Anticipation
None
Struggle Bug
Razor Leaf
Venoshock
Hidden Power (Fight)

Illumise F (June Bug)
Bold
Tinted Lens
None
Struggle Bug
Quick Attack
Charm
Wish

Dwebble M (Pincher)
Bashful
Sturdy
None
Shadow Claw
Sand Attack
Bug Bite
Smack Down

Vespiquen F (Honeybee)
Naive
Pressure
None
Sweet Scent
Gust
Bug Bite
Slash

Venipede F (Millie)
Impish
Swarm
None
Defense Curl
Rollout
Pursuit
Screech

Thanks for reading everyone! I will update again when I beat the third gym. I am playing along Marriland's Fairy Monotype Stream so I'm motivated to keep going with it.

Last edited:

mr-mooster

Beginner Trainer
AKA
Brennan
Thanks for letting me know! I’ll fix it up.

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
Good luck, man! I can speak from experience when I say Bug Monotypes can be hard as heck.

Vesphira

=^.^=
AKA
Ves
Time Zone
EST
There are so many good bug types in X, and you already have a few of my favorites on your team. Way to go on beating Grant. =)

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
Good luck with the challenge and nice work on beating Grant :) I'm thinking that Valerie will probably be your next tough fight - perhaps Wormadam with Venoshock can do something or is there going to be an addition further down the road to take care of her?

Also out of curiosity, which pattern of Vivillon did you get?

mr-mooster

Beginner Trainer
AKA
Brennan
My Wormadam has Venoshock and I'm also planning on using Millie in that fight as well. Both of them are awesome pokemon.

My location gets the Polar vivillon pattern. It's blue.

mr-mooster

Beginner Trainer
AKA
Brennan
Here is an update for my run! I'm having tons of fun using creepy crawly Bug Types! I have some pretty diverse team members.

After defeating Grant, I had to train up Millie the Venipede and Honeybee the Vespiquen. I did a lot of switch training for Millie because Venipede and Whirlipede have pretty terrible attack stats.

On the way to Geosenge Town, we had to take care of a bunch of Team Flare members. My team has a pretty good selection of moves, so none of them posed a threat. Pincher the Dwebble took care of those pesky Houndour. Millie evolved into a Whirlipede while battling and training here. We caught a Yanma and named him Darner after the darner dragonfly.

We had some trouble with a Psychic Trainer's Sigilyph. That thing is rough in any run but for me, he was particularly difficult. We ended up winning after using a bunch of potions. This guy wasn't the only challenge, though. Battle Girl Hedvig was a huge issue for us as well. Her Hawlucha destroyed my team with a combination of Rock Tomb and Aerial Ace. She defeated my team of creepy crawlies. I ended up avoiding her the second time I went through Reflection Cave. She's not worth it! Millie evolved into a Scolipede right before we got out of the cave. Now she can really pack a punch! She's got an attack stat of 67 and a defense stat of 70! She's also my fastest team member with a speed stat of 75. Flutter comes second in speed with a speed stat of 68.

After making it to Shalour City, I got to battle my rival again in the Tower of Mastery. Her battles are going to be incredibly easy because I made it so she picked Froakie. Once that evolves into Greninja, she will have three pokemon weak to Bug on her team. I had no problems with her. I used Struggle Bug and knocked everything out pretty quickly.

Then it was time for us to challenge Korrina! The gym trainers weren't a problem. With Gust, Psybeam, and Draining Kiss, they didn't stand a chance. Korrina is a different story, though. Despite resisting Fighting, I was still worried about her Hawlucha's Flying type moves. I took out her Mienfoo with Honeybee's Gust with no problems. After that, she sent out Machoke. Her Machoke used Rock Tomb! I forgot that thing had a rock type move! This was not good. I was able to get in a few Gust attacks before Honeybee was knocked out. I wanted to send out someone not 4x weak to rock, so I sent out Luffia the Wormadam. She got in some Venoshocks and brought Machoke's HP down to half, but Korrina used a hyper potion. Luffia was able to whittle its HP down a little more before being defeated. Then, it was Flutter's turn. I was hoping Flutter's high sp.attack would do the trick, and luckily it did. She knocked out Machoke in one hit with Psybeam. For Hawlucha, I planned on using Stun Spore. The first time I used it, Flutter missed. Thankfully, I was able to land it the next turn. Hawlucha also got fully paralyzed! Flutter used Draining Kiss a few times and Hawlucha was down! The third badge was ours!

Now we are off to the Tower of Mastery to battle Korrina again to learn about Mega Evolution. We also have Ramos to fight in Coumarine City. I'm not worried about him. My bugs will do perfectly fine.

Illumise F (June Bug)
Lv.29
Nature: Bold
Ability: Tinted Lens
Item: None
Moves:
-Struggle Bug
-Quick Attack
-Charm
-Wish
*Awesome support Pokemon. Using Charm and then Wish before a switch-in works so well, especially with tons of frail team members.

Vivillon F (Flutter)
Lv.30
Nature: Modest
Ability: Shield Dust
Moves:
-Psybeam
-Struggle Bug
-Stun Spore
-Draining Kiss
*A fast, hard hitter. I can rely on her to dish out a lot of damage and take out tough opponents quickly.

Vespiquen F (Honeybee)
Lv.30
Nature: Naive
Ability: Pressure
Moves:
-Heal Order
-Gust
-Struggle Bug
-Power Gem
*No stand-out moments yet. She has great defenses and pretty good special attack too, however, doesn't have the moves to back those stats up.

Dwebble M (Pincher)
Lv.29
Nature: Bashful
Ability: Sturdy
Item: Eviolite
Moves:
-Shadow Claw
-Strength
-Bug Bite
-Rock Slide
*I am just waiting for Shell Smash. Then he's going to be completely insane. Deals with Flying and Fire types and is incredibly reliable.

Wormadam Plant Cloak F (Luffia)
Lv.29
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Anticipation
Moves:
-Growth
-Razor Leaf
-Venoshock
-Hidden Power (Fighting)
*Luffia surprises me every day. She has insane coverage and Growth will just make her more powerful. Her fighting type Hidden Power has gotten me out of many sticky situations. Definite MVP.

Scolipede F (Millie)
Lv.30
Nature: Impish
Ability: Swarm
Item: Nine
Moves:
-Bug Bite
-Rollout
-Poison Tail (May replace with Poison Jab)
-Iron Defense
*No stand out moments yet, but I foresee her being an integral member against Fairy Types and physically strong opponents.

Ledyba F (Birdie)
Nincada M (Cicada)
Beedrill F (Spike)
Butterfree M (Monarch)
Mothim M (Atlas)
Yanma M (Darner)

I want to try using Darner or Atlas. Honeybee isn't performing as well as I'd like her to be and I've never used these two before in any playthrough. Atlas could be a fun physical attacker, and Darner has Speed Boost, which will be awesome when he evolved into Yanmega.

Thanks for reading everyone! I will post another update when we beat Ramos!

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
Glad to see that Korrina's Hawlucha wasn't too much trouble. In terms of a replacement for Honeybee, I'd personally go for Darner - Yanmega can cause problems for lots of mons and Speed Boost can be a godsend, just ask the event Torchic from ORAS :p

mr-mooster

Beginner Trainer
AKA
Brennan
Since Darner is from a hoard battle, I was able to figure out which ones had Speed Boost and which ones didn't. I think I'll had him to the team for Ramos! Time to train!

mr-mooster

Beginner Trainer
AKA
Brennan
Hi everyone, I just wanted to give a little update. I have had quite a stressful week. I recently had to put down one of my pets and haven't touched the game in a while. I will be getting back into the game soon so expect something around this weekend! I'll also be playing a ton of video games over Thanksgiving break as well.

mr-mooster

Beginner Trainer
AKA
Brennan
The update is finally here! I have been spending time getting school work done. My professors really piled on the work before Thanksgiving. I've also been shiny hunting. I have 3 full-odds hunts going right now. Two of my hunts are getting pretty high in encounters so I started a faster one.

Anyway, here is part 5!

I decided to put Darner the Yanma onto the team. I've never tried using this Pokemon, and I hear Yanmega is pretty good.

Unfortunately, Yanma gets pretty bad moves, so I've been dependent on switch-training him. I raised him from level 10 to 23 before going to fight the 4th gym. The route I was training on has Chatot, Tauros, and Miltank. My pokemon don't have the power or bulk to really take those things down. I was getting fed up and raced towards the gym.

I battled against my rival and again she posed little threat. Absol knocked out my Vivillon, Flutter, due to being a little underleveled and Absol getting a few critical hits. Draining Kiss wasn't healing as much as I wanted it to. June Bug the Illumise took care of Meowstic and Luffia the Wormadam took down Frogadier.

After beating my rival, we went to the gym and fought all the trainers, getting more experience for Darner. He was able to take care of a few Pokemon, like Gloom, but usually just needs to be swapped out. He's very frail, even with the eviolite.

Then, it was time to battle Ramos. I always forget his name. He doesn't do anything. He's just this old guy who has a team that's rather forgettable. He sent out Jumpluff and I sent out Darner to get some of that experience. I swapped to Millie the Scolipede, but Jumpluff used Acrobatics! I completely forgot about that counter for Bug Types. Millie wasn't able to deal any damage in the next turn. She was knocked out.

I sent out Pincher the Dwebble next because Flying does neutral damage because of his rock typing. Pincher used one rock slide, but Ramos used a hyper potion on the next turn. Eventually Pincher was able to knock out Jumpluff.

Ramos sent out his Weepinbell, so I swapped out Pincher for Flutter. She used a few psybeams, getting Weepinbell to red health. But Ramos used ANOTHER hyper potion to fully heal his Weepinbell. Oh well, less potions for Gogoat. Flutter finished up Weepinbell after another turn.

Then, it was time for Gogoat. I had Flutter use Struggle Bug, but Gogoat landed a CRIT Take Down and knocked out Flutter. To retaliate, I sent out June Bug so she could Charm Gogoat to make him considerably weaker.

June Bug was able to then use Struggle Bug and Wish to keep herself in fighting shape. She landed the finishing blow to Gogoat! We won. Flutter and Millie fainted during the battle, but their sacrifices were not in vain. They helped further the battle, even though Millie didn't really do anything.

Next up is the Power Point and Clemont. I am nervous for the Clemont fight because I have no counters for him. But I'm also excited to beat him because he gives out the Thunderbolt TM and June Bug can surprisingly learn it. I can't wait to get some Electric coverage to take care of water types.

Yanma M (Darner)
Lv.26
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Speed Boost
Item: Eviolite
Moves:
-Detect
-Sonic Boom
-Quick Attack
-Double Team
*Still pretty weak. I can't wait til he learns Ancient Power and can destroy everything in his path.

Wormadam F (Luffia) - Grass Cloak
Lv. 31
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Anticipation
Moves:
-Growth
-Razor Leaf
-Venoshock
-Hidden Power (Fighting)

Illumise F (June Bug)
Lv.31
Nature: Bold
Ability: Tinted Lens
Moves:
-Struggle Bug
-Quick Attack
-Charm
-Wish

Scolipede F (Millie)
Lv.31
Nature: Impish
Ability: Swarm
Moves:
-Bug Bite
-Rollout
-Poison Tail
-Iron Defense
*Poor thing couldn't even hit Jumpluff :(

Vivillon F (Flutter)
Lv. 33
Nature: Modest
Ability: Shield Dust
Moves:
-Psybeam
-Struggle Bug
-Stun Spore
-Draining Kiss

Dwebble M (Pincher)
Lv. 32
Nature: Bashful
Ability: Sturdy
Moves:
-Shadow Claw
-Strength
-Bug Bite
-Rock Slide
*Did a great job against that pesky Jumpluff! I can't wait for him to evolve! Only two more levels!!

Ledyba F (Birdie)
Nincada M (Cicada)
Beedrill F (Spike)
Butterfree M (Monarch)
Mothim M (Atlas)
Vespiquen F (Honeybee)
Lapras F (!!!!!!!!!!!!) *For surfing purposes only

I should be making more progress during Thanksgiving break! That is, if I don't get caught up shiny hunting and watching streams. See you soon!