Multi-Community Writing Competition

Merushii

Wings of Starlight
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Rin
Hello everyone!

A Discord community known as Canalave Library has approached us with the invitation to participate in a multi-community Pokémon fan writing event. Straight from the invitation:
In brief, we'd like to challenge as many communities as possible to a friendly writeathon, partly in honor of the Olympics and partly for the sake of fandom solidarity. To that end, we would be inviting mods from each community to help finalise a few details, organise a team for their community, and keep their teams going until the end of the event. It's supposed to be a very laid-back, very easy, and very friendly/fun way to build bridges in the fandom and connect fans to one another.
While the exact details have not been finalized yet, the staff think it would be an excellent way for us to connect with other communities and have some fun. Before we accept their invitation, however, we need to make sure we have enough interested writers! Likewise, I will pass this thread along to the leader if they want to perhaps answer any questions you post here.

If you're interested let us know! ♡

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
I’m always happy to join in on some writing fun

Rosel

Golden
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rosel, Nate
Time Zone
CST
I'm up for it 100 percent, count me in as well.

Merushii

Wings of Starlight
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Rin
Okay! A couple of things:
  • We have accepted! The Marriland Forums will be participating.
  • The team will need more time to prepare and is looking at dates for next year instead: February, April, or a little bit later. Since we have such a big tiring event in June, I have put our voice in as one of the former two options to space them out. The others will have to also come together to set a date that's best for all of the communities, so nothing is set in stone!
  • As the date is finalized, I will revisit this thread and we'll set up a team of main writers and backup writers.

I'll keep you guys in the know as more information comes out! My apologies for making it seem so soon by mistake. I hope you're still as excited as I am! ♡

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Been meaning to post in this thread and I just kept forgetting, but I'm also interested in this!

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Hey folks! I know it's been a while without any communication here (sorry :sadazurill: ) but the organizer of this event has been keeping the staff updated and the multi-community writing event is still on for February.

It has been brought to our attention that at the request of another participating community, the competitive nature of the event will be toned down, so it will be more of a month-long word race intending to foster solidarity than a direct competition.

We've been provided with a Google doc that has all the details about the event that you all are free to review. What we'd like to know now is, who all is still interested in participating? A team of at least three people to be committed writers would be ideal.

Pelion

Regular Trainer
AKA
Curt
Time Zone
Est
Could be fun, but am I understanding it right that its mostly about word quantity?

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Could be fun, but am I understanding it right that its mostly about word quantity?
Yes, that's the idea; the NaNoWriMo comparison is still accurate. The total word counts from all the teams will be compared at the end just for kicks but ultimately it's about bringing fans together to write.

Pelion

Regular Trainer
AKA
Curt
Time Zone
Est
It discourages editing and I don't like that. I understand that it's to encourage more progress and even motivation to write. I personally don't think it would be foolish to suggest people entering a writing contest are eager to write. Its like running a marathon that isn't timed but measures how many steps you made. Very displeased!!!

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Of course it's purely on a volunteer basis, so if you ARE someone who's eager to write you're welcome to join, but otherwise there's no pressure. However, I must confess I don't understand what you mean when you say it discourages editing.

Pelion

Regular Trainer
AKA
Curt
Time Zone
Est
Why spend time editing when you are using your time to rack up that count.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
If there's enough interest that we have a team of runners and some support, the supporters could edit for you on the side. Or you could edit what you've wrote afterwards. It's not as though you'll be submitting to a publishing committee.