My glasses! I can't see without my glasses!

Fafrir

:]
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
I'm nearsighted (-2.5 for both eyes) so I do need glasses to see far away but up close I can see fine. I think I had glasses since I was 5/6ish and I started wearing contacts when I was 16. Needless to say, I prefer contacts over glasses, lol. I was considering eye surgery but I'm content without it.

I'm also sensitive to bright light so I tend to turn down the screen brightness or wear sunglasses (another plus for contacts!)

Rydia

ΦωΦ
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Unyielding Wings
AKA
Brian
Time Zone
PST
Don't use your phone in bed super close to your face when it's dark, kids.
Fun fact: Looking at your phone/watching TV in the dark actually doesn't give your eyes any long-term damage whatsoever. Neither does sitting too close to the TV. At most it will just temporarily strain your eyes or give you a headache.
Damn, I actually had no clue. Time to continue my bad habits without any penalty.

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I'm also sensitive to bright light so I tend to turn down the screen brightness or wear sunglasses (another plus for contacts!)
I have a similar problem but not with screens. I do tend to adjust to light slower and so keep my brightness low at night, so maybe I am sensitive to that and just don't think about it. Since my eyes are grey they're super sensitive to light, so I take my sunglasses pretty much everywhere when I go out.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Until I was 8, I thought everything was supposed to be blurry. Once I started to struggle reading whiteboards, my teacher let my parents know. Ever since then, I’ve been wearing glasses of varying sizes, shapes, and colors. My pescription has to be updated every year due to having double vision (it makes my eyes cross without my control). If I don’t wear glasses while reading or viewing a small device, my eyes will cross.

When it comes to frames, I think I’ve finally found a middle ground. Small frames make my cheeks look puffier while large ones make cleaning a royal nightmare. With my current pair, neither of those issues are present, and I actually look okay in them.

As much as I like my current pair, I’d rather wear contacts. I think I look better without glasses. When I tried to get some with my insurance, the eye doctor said to wait until I can hold my eyeballs for longer than a few seconds. Guess my life long habit of frequently blinking has finally become an obstacle.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
I've needed glasses since I was a kid, but didn't actually get them until high school. My mom didn't really believe I needed them because she thought it was "normal" to not be able to see far away; in a way, she's right, but I wasn't able to see the board from the back of the room, whereas my classmates without glasses or contacts could, so I ended up getting more insistent in high school. I wear them regularly now, and I actually just got my eyes checked about a week ago! xD They did the drops to dilate your eyes, and that was the first time that's ever been done for me (they normally did the puff of air, but I went to a new optometrist). It was definitely a fun time. I grabbed lunch with my mom before work and I couldn't see anything because it was all so blurry if it was close to my face. xD (I was thankfully able to drive though, so that was a plus, and it'd worn off by the time I'd clocked in for work.)

I'm super nearsighted though. I can see without them, but unless it's right up in my face, it's blurry. I can recognize an object is there, but I can't read text from far away without my glasses. Driving is just a big fat nope without them. I can live without them for a little bit if I need to wipe something off of them or I'm putting my sunglasses on, especially if I know the area I'm driving in pretty well (which, for the most part, is most places around here because I've lived in this area my whole life), but I definitely need them while driving.

I'm too spooked by contacts to want to try them. I'm worried I'll poke my eye and hurt myself or it'll get stuck in my eye. Neither is probably likely, but the idea of it spooks me. I'll just stick with glasses, haha. My new pair should be coming in this week, which is nice because the pair I wear now is actually super old and the frames are fading. And then I have to get new prescription sunglasses because the prescription on those is pretty outdated. (I'm hoping I can just get the lenses popped out and replaced though, instead of having to buy new frames and lenses.)

Moonwatcher

/人◕‿‿◕人\
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Shruikan, Moon, ScrollWyrm
Time Zone
BST
I've had glasses since I was 10. I clearly remember this, as I wasn't allowed to have any that weren't from the kids section until I was 11, so I had to have lame frames for a year.
But yeah, my eyesight's been getting worse over time. I can see basicly what's there, but small stuff like writing become a blur unless it's pressed almost literally up to my nose.

Still annoyed that there are no round frames available. You'd think Harry Potter would have made them be in higher demand. Square frames don't suit me at all, so I've got oval-ish ones and I just want my round glasses like Daniel Jackson! :<
wait...
I saw a round frame while I was getting new glasses, and that was this year...

la confusion
Alright, so now I need to move to australia.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
Started needing glasses in or around fourth grade, and it's been all downhill from there. In high school my friends would take my glasses and look through them and go "wow, so this is what it's like to be drunk."

People have been trying to push contact lenses on me for almost the entire time, except nobody's been able to articulate exactly how the downsides of putting tiny invisible lenses directly into your eyes outweigh the minor minor inconvenience of taking three seconds to put them on in the morning or whatever. Just don't go out of your way to get punched in the face.

You'd think Harry Potter would have made them be in higher demand.
They were for some period of time, haven't seen many of them in a while though. Which might be a good thing honestly, when I was a kid and the Harry Potter movies came out round glasses were basically an express lane to all of your classmates being awful.

icelandic

Adept Trainer
Yes. I think I started wearing them as a teenager. I'm mildly short-sighted (and a bit astigmatic IIRC). I think the prescription is a -2 or something like that. Last I checked, without my glasses on I just meet the vision requirements for driving. But driving is something I use my glasses for, along with watching TV, at the cinema or a football match, or any other time I'm looking at things far away.

I think it might be getting worse though. I never used to need my glasses on the computer, but I'm wearing them now. (Then again I'm sitting a bit far from the screen because I don't have a desk in my new room yet). I find "dark mode" (anything with light text on a darker background really, like this forum) much harder to read without my glasses, compared to black text on a white background.

My glasses are cheap. I had a nicer pair with anti-reflection and stuff and I lost them two weeks after buying them, so I had to replace them with the cheapest possible. They're alright though, slightly squarish metal frames. I got them a good few years ago though - I should really have another eye test.

Never tried contacts. Since I only wear my glasses part time I don't see the point. And I wouldn't have laser eye surgery, it has risks and to me that's not worth taking when glasses give me clear vision just fine.

gylfie

My eyesight started worsening when I was in high school, and I got glasses in college. I can see fine without them, just not as well as I used to. I always drive with my glasses because I would have trouble reading certain street signs otherwise.

Contacts just sound like a major inconvenience, so I'd rather not try.
pretty much exactly what happened for me.

i wear my glasses to see the board in class and to drive, but a lot of my time is spent looking at a screen or leaning close to a piece of paper so i just move them to the top of my head instead. i like the way my glasses look so it doesn't really matter to me whether or not I'm wearing them in my daily life.

contacts seem like more maintenance so i haven't really bothered looking (eheh) into getting any. while laser surgery seems to be pretty reliable these days, as an animator, my eyesight is pretty damn important to my career so i'd definitely be too anxious about damaging my eyes with it, especially bc i'm just fine with glasses.

also glasses are a fun thing to use to add flourish and emphasis while talking.

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
without my glasses i gotta squint to even see the computer screen and im only one foot away from it

yea

Vivid Stardust

~ Like Stars In The Sky ~
AKA
Vivid, Apollo
I’ve had glasses since I was about 11.5 years old. Anything further away than my armlength is slightly blurry. I can still tell what everything is, I just can’t see the details. I hope that I never need reading glasses, and I will never get contacts. I can barely do the Glaucoma test where they puff some air in your eye, you really think I could handle putting stuff in my eye every day just to see?! I also don’t plan on getting Lasiks or eye surgery for the same reason.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
I do not wear glasses though my sight is kind of meh. I guess I'll get my eyes checked when I have to but ye.

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Yeah, I'm pretty dependent on my glasses myself. Particularly from far distances, if it's something right near me like a TV or something they're not quite as needed but overall yeah I use them pretty regularly.

ShadowedEevee

YJ-14
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Tabby
Time Zone
EST
Back before I got glasses, I wanted them so badly. I'm nearsighted, so I don't wear my glasses unless I'm going out or watching tv. I've had them since I was about 12

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I wear contacts cuz I can't drive without them lol... I can see just not well enough to read from far away. I have glasses but they disappeared so uh just contacts for now oops

PyroKinesis

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Corey
I wear glasses, and I am so blind without them, that if I wake up in the middle of the night, and it is pitch black, I think I'm actually blind. Which is why I sleep with a small nightlight.

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
my eyesight is pretty uh less than ok for the most part to the point where I do need glasses/contacts and have needed them for years but honestly as long as I'm sitting close or within close proximity to whatever I need to see anyway, I'm fine

getting contacts is a super long-term thing that's way at the back of my mind lol...

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
the other day i got my driving permit and i failed hard at the vision test but thankfully they let me do it like 4 times so technically i passed but dam i really need glasses wow

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I'm in the same boat as a lot of people here. I'm terribly nearsighted and found out when my brother could read a bunch of signs I couldn't. That was when I was around 10 or 11. My eyes have progressively gotten worse since then, so I've had to update my prescription a couple times.

I'm not comfortable with contacts and I don't mind wearing glasses, so that's definitely the way I go. Don't see much need for correct surgery later since, again, I get by just fine with my glasses. I can survive without them, but I have to have them if I'm going to drive or do any kind of schoolwork, reading, computer, etc.

thexuberant1

Beginner Trainer
I’ve had glasses for about two years now. I only wear them in college to see the chalkboard and to see things at a distance. Without them, I often squint at faraway objects and everything is kinda blurry. Though I always take off my glasses when reading or studying since I don’t need them in those situations.