Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Currently I am working on a Fakemon region based on Oregon. To make it feel more authentic, I'm making sprites of the Fakemon as I create them. I'm still new to the world of pixel art, but I hope to show progress along the way. Feel free to provide feedback and constructive criticism!

If I’m short on ideas, I’ll also work on sprites for official Pokémon.

Grogrouse.png
1543282110473.png
1543282183646.png

Attachments

Last edited:

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
It's so cool you're making your own region! That's a great start to pixel art, it's a really nice design. I'm not very experienced in pixel art, but I would suggest practicing curving some lines so they seem more organic, adding in shading/highlights and using references for parts you're unfamiliar with, like the claws.

It's a really awesome start, great job!

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Cascadia Pokedex Number 12 Sagemas - the Sage Grouse Pokémon

Type: Flying
Stats: 81/85/75/90/85/100
Ability: Big Pecks
Height: 4'11 (1.4 meters)
Weight: 33 lbs (14.9 kilograms)
Pokédex Entry: It uses some of it's feathers as a mask. To make it's cry, Sagemas will crush the yellow air sacs on it's chest.

Thanks to Franciscosta for the spriting advice!

Last edited:

Franciscosta

Communist Duck
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Those two Fakemon look really cool! I especially like how you explained the stats on this last one, it adds a lot of depth! I actually liked the first sprite you made, so much that I made an image detailing some small changes you could do to improve it, but if you're just doing drawings that's fine too!

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
The second one is actually the same Pokémon. I redid the design. After seeing the guide though, I think I’ll stick with the original design. Thanks so much for the help!

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Cascadia Regional Pokedex Number 11: Grogrouse
Grogrouse.png

Type: Flying
Stats: 36/45/40/55/40/60
Ability: Big Pecks
Height: 0'08 (0.2 meters)
Weight: 3 lbs (1.3 kilograms)
Pokedex Entry: To prevent spilling sage grass, Grogrouse will use it's white feathers as a bib.

I did the final evolution first because I find it easier to work backwards than forwards when it comes to designing Fakemon.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Nebby2.png

Here's a Cosmog! This was great practice for curves.

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
Woah, that Cosmog looks really cool!

With Toropez, I would try and find a way to texture his skin a bit better. As it is right now, it looks flat and doesn't really have a lot of detail.

Could I suggest making GSC styled sprites before you make more modern ones? Working with a more limited palette can really help you get down shading and detail.

Ape711

not infected by dragon virus
AKA
Andrew, Ape, Aep
Time Zone
Central Standard Time
Switch FC
SW-4903-4757-9682
IGN
Andrew
i would really second what resolute said, but I'm making this post to kind of elaborate what i think:
You have the basics down and theres a lot of potential, but right now the sprites look kind of awkward, and incomplete even, lacking a lot of either detail, shading, or other features, and a lot of times, lacking all 3. The Cosmog one is really the only one thats not lacking in other features (i.e. it would look finished if drawn out) and it looks kind of complete, but it still lacks a lot of shading and detail. All your other ones look incomplete, just because they lack a lot of extra features, they look more like colored in skeletons that anything. Also shading is a really big problem, and so is not fully outlining your pictures. See: Cosmog and the first sage grouse Pokemon, (by first i mean first in the evolution line), its especially bad on the sage grouse where i cant till where the sprite stops and the background begins. I would at least recommend using transparent backgrounds to kind of alleviate that problem.
Im sorry if these seems overly critical, I really am trying to be supportive, bottom line is that your just new to this and your always going to have a lot to learn if your new to something. And at least i can still tell whats there, which is better than a lot of Fakemon sprite work I've seen. So good job, keep at it, and you'll get better in no time! :)

edit: if you don't understand what i mean by "extra features", i mean take Cosmog for example. Look at how much different parts it has, from the cascading colors to the face to the cheeks to the golden ring, now look at most of yours, which have (at best) a main body, some eyes, maybe a leg, and a secondary color, and at worst, are just a body with eyes and a horn of the same color thrown in there. Basically, just add MORE to the actual designs of the Fakemon.

edit 2: i don't want to take your sprites and edit them myself since that seems kind of... idk, but if you'd like me too to show you what I mean more visually, (which I am much better at showing than telling) I could.

edit 3: i could also hypothetically draw them out but that would just be kind of weird and wouldn't really show you what im saying as well as revamping your sprite work would.

Last edited:

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
@Ape711 Shading is a large problem I have and I agree I should make the backgrounds transparent. I deleted the fish one as it’s an admittedly underwhelming design.

I’ll try and experiment with GSC styled sprites rather than RSE ones. That should be a lot more manageable.

As for the first stage Sage Grouse, the idea is that it's feathers cover it's claws. I'll try to better indicate that in future sprites. The fully evolved one is supposed to have a face mask that resembles the tuft of it's real life counterpart.

Last edited:

Ape711

not infected by dragon virus
AKA
Andrew, Ape, Aep
Time Zone
Central Standard Time
Switch FC
SW-4903-4757-9682
IGN
Andrew
@Neb well if the feathers cover the claws, i would make the feathers get wider at the bottom instead of thinner, and then coming to a flat / smally curved end
and you still also need to work on outlining, and i can give a few more specific things per sprite as well if you would

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN