• Smash Camp 2020

Smash Camp, an event that has run for twelve years, has started once again! Everyone who joins is separated into one of four cabins where you'll compete to earn points through various activities, such as flash games, tournaments, and other events. At the end of camp, the totals will be finalized, and the cabin with the most total points wins. It's an awesome way to have fun with your friends while meeting new people in the process, and is open to anyone, not just members of the Marriland Forums!

Pre-Camp has officially started, with Camp itself beginning on Monday. It will be taking place exclusively on the Smash Camp Discord, which you may join by clicking here. If you have any questions, feel free to join the server and ask - we hope to see you there!

Need help building a team

Selky

New Trainer
I'm trying to build a competitive team, legendaries aren't allowed, so i wanted to know if this was a good team, i don't want to make too many changes but if this team isn't good i would like suggestions on how to improve it.

1. BPHA Garchomp
Nature: Jolly Item: Rockium Z EVS: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, SpDef 6
Moves: Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, Earthquake, Sword Dance

2. BPHA Greninja
Nature: Timid Item: Choice Spec EVS: 252 Speed, 252 SpAtk, 6 Attack
Moves: Hydro Pump, Extrasensory, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse

3. BP Ferrothorn
Nature: Careful Item: Leftovers EVS: 252 HP, 232 SpDef, 24 Def
Moves: Spikes, Leech Seed, Thunder wave, Power Whip

4. BP Marowak Ability:Rock Head
Nature: Adamant Item: Thick Club EVS: 44 Speed, 212 HP, 252 Attack
Moves: Flare Blitz, Shadow Bone, Swords Dance, Low Kick

5. BP Mimikyu
Nature: Jolly Item: Life Orb EVS: 252 Speed, 252 Atk, 4 Def
Moves: Sword Dance, Play Rough, Shadow Claw, Shadow Sneak

6. BPHA Incineroar (The main pokemon I'm unsure about)
Nature: Jolly Item: Figy Berry EVS: 252 Speed, 252 Atk, 4 Def
Moves: Swords Dance, Knock Off, Earthquake, Flare Blitz

Thanks in advance for taking time to read this.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Hi! I'd be happy to help, but I'll need your help as well. First off, please include all the Abilities! I can't tell how your Pokemon work without them. Can you tell me more about the set of rules or the format you'll be using? Is this for Gen VII or Gen VIII? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "BP" and "BPHA."

I like Incineroar on your team, but the set needs a little tweaking. Something with only 60 base Speed won't make good use of Speed investment. I would move those EVs into Defense and give it an Adamant Nature.

Why do you have Extrasensory on Greninja? Not saying it's necessarily a bad idea, but it doesn't provide much. Something like U-turn would be better to help give your team momentum.

I don't think having Stealth Rock and Swords Dance on Garchomp is a good idea, especially if it's going to be your Z-move user. It won't be able to do both very well. I think instead of Stealth Rock you could use Outrage or Fire Fang, and maybe give Stealth Rock to Ferrothorn instead of Spikes.

Personally, instead of Incineroar, I'd be most unsure about Alolan Marowak. Your team already has Ghost and Fire coverage. I notice that your team is rather slow, lacks a Mega, and only has one special attacker, so my first thought is that you could try running Mega Alakazam there.

Selky

New Trainer
Thanks for your reply, by bp and bpha i meant they had the perfect ivs and hidden ability, also this is for Gen 8 but legendary pokemon aren't allowed. but ill rewrite the team with the abilities listed and the changes you suggested,
1. Garchomp
Ability:Rough Skin Nature: Jolly Item: Rockium Z EVS: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, SpDef 6
Moves: Stone Edge, Fire Fang, Earthquake, Sword Dance

2. Greninja
Ability:Protean Nature: Timid Item: Choice Spec EVS: 252 Speed, 252 SpAtk, 6 Attack
Moves: Hydro Pump, U-Turn, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse

3.Ferrothorn
Ability: Iron Barbs Nature: Careful Item: Leftovers EVS: 252 HP, 232 SpDef, 24 Def
Moves: Stealth Rock, Leech Seed, Thunder wave, Power Whip

4. Alakazam
Ability: Magic Guard Nature: Timid Item: Alakazite EVS: 252 Speed, 252 SpAtk, 4 Def
Moves: Psychic, Focus Blast, Recover, Shadow Ball

5. Mimikyu
Ability: Disguise Nature: Jolly Item: Life Orb EVS: 252 Speed, 252 Atk, 4 Def
Moves: Sword Dance, Play Rough, Shadow Claw, Shadow Sneak

6. Incineroar
Ability:Intimidate Nature: Adamant Item: Figy Berry EVS: 4 Speed, 252 Atk, 252 Def
Moves: Swords Dance, Knock Off, Earthquake, Flare Blitz

I wasn't really sure if the move set for Incineroar should be adjusted because of the EV move so i just kept it the same, are theses the types of changes you were suggesting or would there be a few more changes needed?

Thanks for your help.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Incineroar's moves are fine the way they are with the spread you have. However, I will point out that you already have two other Swords Dance users on your team. Incineroar does well as a bulky pivot, so you might find it more useful for your team if you gave it Fake Out and U-turn over Swords Dance and Earthquake. Just something to consider.

The only other thing I'd say is that Alakazam is generally too frail to make use of Recover. It might work if you replace either Shadow Ball or Focus Blast with Calm Mind, but I would start by keeping the three attacking moves and putting Calm Mind in place of Recover.

Ultimately, the only way to know if your changes work, and to figure out what other changes you might need, is to test your team on the field! Get out there and battle.

Selky

New Trainer
I've just managed to get the team together, with all the adjustments, and will start to test it out, it's been a long time since I played so I'll take a while to adjust to this team.
Thanks for all your advice in helping me build this team.