Monotype Neverending Winter. Pokémon Ice Monotype

Aru

Aspiring Gym Leader
Hello everyone, for this Challenge I'm trying to do one of the hardest monotypes in my opinion, the ice monotype, so I will do this challenge in my Moon or Ultra Sun game, however I don't know if it's viable since there are too few Ice type Pokémon and they have a lot of weakness so any advice would be appreciated!

Anyways the rules are the same as a usual monotype challenge:
  1. Once you choose a type, you need to stick with it for the whole playthrough!

2. You can't use two Pokemon from the same evolution family. If you use Poliwhirl, you can't also use Poliwrath, etc.

3. This is less of a rule, but be sure that the type you choose is realistic for the game you choose. For example, Sinnoh has a lack of fire types, so doing a fire monotype in Diamond might not be the best decision.

4. If a Pokemon is not currently the type you chose but will be in the future, you can still use it. This means that if you're doing a fire monotype, you could use Fletchling because it will become a fire type when it's fully evolved.

5. Dual types are allowed!

6. If your starter isn't viable for you to use, you can use it until you're able to catch a Pokemon for the type you chose. After you catch that Pokemon, your starter needs to be put away and not used again.

7. You are allowed up to two trades total for your challenge. This includes trading eggs or Pokemon you normally couldn't get and in-game trades. You may evolve a Pokemon via trade as many times as you would like.
If you have any recommendation ( like changing the game for the run) will be appreciated.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Ice types are few in number, but USUM is the best game you could have chosen because it gives you the biggest variety in types. On the first island, you'll have access to Delibird and Smoochum, as well as Crabrawler who evolves into an Ice type.

Do you have any way to trade over an egg from another gen VII game? If so, I would recommend giving yourself an Ice type starter that way.

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
A monotype with the Ice-type should definitely be a challenge, good luck!
I agree with Kaori, trading over an Ice-type starter would probably be the most fun if you have the opportunity to do so!

Aru

Aspiring Gym Leader
I will try to breed a Snorunt and trade to the new game, so I'll have to buy Pokébank but I think it will be will be worth, thanks!

Aru

Aspiring Gym Leader
Thanks for the comments, as I said I got a level one Snorunt as the starter and having Crabrawler, Smoochum and Delibird ( this one can be kind of useless but who knows) available can be fun because I have never used them. I'll be playing Ultra Sun.

Chapter One: Winter is coming
It's the first time I'm so far away from home, Professor Kukui told me to investigate a region called Alola, it seems that is composed of four Islands, meaning that a lot of weird Pokémon are waiting to be investigated, and having their own forms some of them! The first thing is move to Melemele Island to get my first Pokémon.

So I got to my new home and introduced to Professor Kukui ( a weird guy, by the way), then I went to the town to obtain my first Pokémon, it's a tradition that the Starters in this region are Rowlett, Litten and Poplio, however as I told Kukui that I wanted to specialize in ice-type Pokémon the Kahuna changed them for a Snorunt before telling me that is strange for a Tropical region to have this kind of Pokémon, by the way I called this male Snorunt Ulrik ( I will name them with nordic names, maybe also mythological). The rival took Rowlet ( I made this random) and then we decided to do the Trial Challenge, this can be a good chance to get more Pokémon and grow stronger. The first step the Pokémon School

sorry if the first chapter is too short, but I try to do all I can with my free time :cheekyazurill:

The time so far:

Ulrik (Male)
Level 1
Nature: Timid
Attacks:
-Bite
-Ice Fang
-Headbutt
-Protection
Ability: Ice Body
Description: Somewhat Stubborn

Last edited:

Aru

Aspiring Gym Leader
Maybe Snorunt's nature is not the best, but it what I got, so I can make him a special attacker or something, so here is the next chapter of my adventure, I hope you enjoy it!

Chapter Two: Let's go to the School
I went to the next step in my trial in the Pokémon School with my Ulrik, before that I trained him a little bit until he's strong enough to defend himself. I had to beat four trainers in this place, and it was easy but challenging. Then the teacher wanted to test me in a battle against a Popplio, being a water type means that my ice attacks aren't super efective so I decided to go with bite to try to flinch him with success, but Popplio hit me with a critical so the battle was really equilibrated and thanks to the Oran berry someon gave me I finally won this match.

Then I met Ilima ( My game is in Spanish so maybe the names change), the Captain of Mele Mele, and before battling with him I had to deal with some members of Skull Team, but it will be in the next chapter...

My team:

Ulrik (Male)
Level 11
Nature: Timid
Attacks:
-Bite
-Ice Fang
-Ice Shard
-Protection
Ability: Ice Body
Description: Somewhat Stubborn

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Timid male Snorunt, ouch.

Were you hoping for a female? An Ice/Ghost type would have definitely helped with your weakness to Fighting. > < Although I'm not sure how easy it is to get a Dawn Stone in this game. Nintendo is usually fairly stingy with stones which is a shame considering how many Pokemon evolve through stone evolution.

icelandic

Adept Trainer
Ice ice baby! I agree that you're in for a challenge, with the type having many weaknesses and only a self-resistance. It's a good type on the offensive though.

I think Timid's not the end of the world, Snorunt/Glalie gets good special STAB moves, but it'll hurt your coverage options a bit.