Gen 8 New 'mons in Gen 8! What do you think of them?

Anthrix

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
What do you think of all the additions (old and new) on Competitive? Some notable additions.

- Terrakion
- Slowbro (both normal and galarian)
- Urshifu (both rapid and single strike)
- Talonflame
- Scizor

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
--I've seen maybe one or two Scizor and not a single Talonflame, not sure what happened to them.
--Galarian Slowbro and Rapid Strike Urshifu don't seem to be nearly as popular as their counterparts, which is a shame. I was especially looking forward to seeing what a Psychic/Poison type would do. That said, I think it's hilarious that people are running itemless Kantonian Slowbro specifically to beat Alolan Marowak. Poltergeist is a wild move.
--I'm very happen to have Terrakion back. With a Choice Band it makes an excellent breaker.

Anthrix

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
That's crazy about Marowak. I mean, base 85 Shadow Bone vs base 110 Poltergeist is pretty big, is there many KOs that you miss by using Shadow Bone?

I'm pretty disappointed with Urshifu in general. His ability isn't stellar, and I bet in singles its even worse. Being slower than base 100s doesn't help him as a sweeper, and as a wallbreaker those stab moves have some pretty big counters which he can't touch (Amoongus / Toxapex for Rapid Strike). Single Strike seems better, which is a bit sad cos I got Rapid Strike thinking that 4x Fairy weakness was going to be too much of a liability...

There's a lot of random Pokemon this gen who have massive (special) defence, and then a really bad other defence stat. Urshifu springs to mind, Duraludon as well. Just makes them a bit of a liability, especially with neutral hits. I've surprised a few Assault Vest Duraludon by one shotting them with even Life Orb boosted Stab moves.

Fafrir

Queen of Dragons
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
Single Strike Urshifu is extremely insane, the fact that it can massively chunk a Clefable with Wicked Blow goes to show its power. Also, its ability was the reason why Aegislash dropped to UU, just doesn't care about King's Shield at all.

I am happy for Tangrowth, Amoonguss, and Skarmory's return; I used Tangrowth in a tourney and it was quite solid as a physical wall.

Magearna is also incredibly versatile, it can use AV, Calm Mind, Shift Gear, double dance with CM + Shift Gear, I've seen a Scarf variant surprise my Urshifu, etc.