News.

Merushii

Wings of Starlight
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Rin
I've been writing news consistently for a couple of years now. These articles were readily available on the front page of Azurilland and posted on Facebook, Twitter, and Discord. I took news over a while after we switched to Azurilland not because I wanted to compete with other news sites or anything lol, but because I wanted something to fill up the front page, have something for new passerby's to see, and, for those that wanted to check just our site, provide all the latest. I had a hope that a more active front page filled with all of the newest happenings would make some want to join — or at least take a look at the rest of the site, content, and forums and give us a chance. When we all started to post events and such on the front page, that hope only grew and I was truly happy to an extent I can't really describe. Does that sound silly? Haha. Not that it really did much. The truth of it is we saw little to no growth, and fighting against the system we were stuck on didn't do a whole lot.

I wanted to continue news here, but things are different from Azurilland. We don't have a front page, meaning news and articles aren't readily seen to those that visit the site unless they explicitly look for it, and that's okay. Point being I continued here because it's what I've been doing for years — but during my week-long break I did some thinking about how it might just be wasted effort.

So I wanted to talk to you guys. Do you want me to keep writing news on Marriland? Do you think my original intent on Azurilland — to keep the content flowing for new people and keep you updated — is valid anymore? Forum vs. front page, I don't personally think it's going to do much anymore, which is something I didn't want to accept when we made the move. But regardless of if we scrap the forum for now or not, I would still be posting news on the Facebook/Twitter pages and posting on Discord. They just wouldn't be linked to anything here.

Thank you for reading. I know it may not seem like it and it's probably a small thing for you, if you ever kept up with it in the first place when there's big names like Serebii haha, but I struggled a lot with this. But if it's not useful anymore it should go, and I'm ready to accept that possibility and talk to you guys. If anything, if it needs to go, that time and effort could go towards putting other things on our social media alongside news. Spotlighting other forum-related things more regularly or something, I don't know.

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
I don't want to make it sound harsh since I know you love writing news but I personally do think it is just kind of useless. It didn't bring us anything fruitful on the old site when there WAS a front page and all that and now that there isn't, it'll do even less for us.
This is kind of evident by the fact that except minus 1 thread, none of the other ones have any replies whatsoever (except 1 post by Brett).
I feel like it is a waste of effort considering other Pokemon sites will always beat us on this and most of us will learn news through other social media way before we learn it from the news subforum.
I think the better way to do this if you do enjoy doing it is to just post it in Pokemon General if you want discussion. Thank you for bringing it up though I always wanted to have a discussion about news.

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Personally I find the news channel in the forums a lot less accessible than just scrolling through it in the front page of Azurilland.

It’s not a pleasant situation, but I would say you could use your energy elsewhere because the news being placed in forums just doesn’t work since less people would actively look for it to be informed.

It was a fun interactive way of creating discussion in Azurilland, but I can’t really see it working the same way going forward.

I personally greatly appreciate the effort you put into the news, but it might be better to move on from the news channel altogether.

Vayatir

Right. On. Cue!
Staff Emeritus
I confess to relying on the front page of Azurilland for my news back when that was a thing, because I didn't actively follow any other news source for Pokémon (since I don't really care enough to actively search). It was a nice thing when logging into the forums to have a quick read and see if anything caught my interest. So I do think it had a use back then.

Now? Without a front page, it's a lot less visible and I'm not sure if it is worth the effort. I think you've been a credit to the site in your dilligence in keeping up and reposting news, but if it it doesn't get that visbility even among those here then there isn't much point.

I do wish there was an alternative and we could have some sort of forum front page though.

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
I agree. With the forums not really having a front page and Marriland's new site possibly on the horizon, I think that if you wanted to stop with the news updates, now would be an okay time to do so. You've done an excellent job these past years, but ultimately it might be better to put that time into other things?

Maybe there's a way to generate discussion on new Pokemon news without writing an entire post on it. It might also be a good idea to continue to post news updates on the official Facebook so that that stays active.

Thundawave

♔ Deja Vu ♔
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
IGN
Regine
I also relied on the home page of Azurilland for Pokémon news, and I really appreciate that you've kept it up for so long. However, now that it's in its own subforum, I simply pass over the board. Perhaps we could bring news back if we have a front page when Marriland's new site launches, but it seems like you could spend energy elsewhere for the time being.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i wasn't very active on the Azurilland forums, but i always relied on the home page for news as well, as i found it very easily accessible and well presented aesthetically, i think you did an amazing job there, and i loved that people could comment as well, unlike other sites with pokemon news.

that being said though, i have to agree that it's not the same on this site without the front page and all, so maybe it is indeed wasted affort, which is not fair for you doing all the work :/

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I used the news on Azurilland a lot, and I'm so grateful for all the work you've done. It was well made and well presented. But on here it might not be worth all the effort since there's no front page. The forum is easy to miss and really not worth all the hard work if not many people will see it.

Marriland

Founder
AKA
Dev
Time Zone
CDT
I appreciate the feedback in this thread, both from @Merushii and the rest of the posters. It's good to see that the news is still well-received and I apologize that the development on the site has been a bit slower than I expected it to be, as well as news not being a focus for it (more on that in a sec).

As I may have mentioned, the new Marriland site will primarily focus on walkthroughs, guides, and tools (the first two being in a closed Wiki format, while the tools will be custom tailored). I plain and simple don't have the resources other sites do when it comes to reporting news and it's something I don't want to focus on for the site, but I have also realized that work on the Wiki backend might end up taking way longer than what's reasonably feasible (having to write pages and info for all of the abilities, work on templates, etc. — it's a lot of work!), so what I've been considering is having a Wordpress blog-style frontend and have the Wiki on the backend, so to speak. That way there can be a front page with news updates (or whatever else, like a portal with a few news updates, stream schedules, other quick links, etc. — it doesn't have to be just like Azurilland) as well as a place for me to put site updates, reviews, and other videos.

If this is something that Merushii would be interested in continuing, outside of the forums, then I would be open to that possibility. Realistically I'm not going to invest any development time before the new year (it's the holidays), but January will mark a major push towards development for the site now that Let's Go and the holidays will be out of the way, so I would hope by mid-to-late January to have something workable as a "blog" type thing for the front page, because its current state is really bothering me.

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
I personally would look at the home page for news back on Azurilland, even immediately after having left the site. While there were other sites that I could get information from sooner, I liked being able to see the news there. Besides I liked reading what other's had to say about pokemon news, especially in the brief period where I no longer had any personal interest in what the series had to offer.

With all the activity (including my own) and the news being relegated to a sub-forum, it's easier to forget about it. That said, I'll at least make an effort to remember to read the news and express my thoughts on it for as long as it continues (here, anyway, I don't use social media often enough).

Merushii

Wings of Starlight
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Rin
If this is something that Merushii would be interested in continuing, outside of the forums, then I would be open to that possibility. Realistically I'm not going to invest any development time before the new year (it's the holidays), but January will mark a major push towards development for the site now that Let's Go and the holidays will be out of the way, so I would hope by mid-to-late January to have something workable as a "blog" type thing for the front page, because its current state is really bothering me.
I would absolutely love to continue news there if you'd have me. ♥
Thank you for your feedback, everyone. I'm glad the articles did see some use in the community, even if they didn't help outreach much. Until we see this setup in late January (take your time please!), news will continue to be posted on FB/Twitter/Discord. Sorry for the lapse over the past week or so. I've been really down about this, which is silly haha — but I'm glad we did this and have something to keep going with and look forward to. And hey, posting a discussion thread if there's an interesting bit of news is a great idea n.n

I'll get the current News forum poofed within the week.
F

Marriland

Founder
AKA
Dev
Time Zone
CDT
It's understandable! I know I grew to resent news after the switch to Curse because that was what they would constantly harp on me on. "NEWS! POST MORE NEWS!" And it's like... that wasn't ever what I really did on the old site, at least not the expectation of daily news. It was more about it being content-driven, and they didn't want to fix the tools that made the old site so good in the first place... :upsidedownazurill:

I do get a lot of press releases and stuff that I may be able to forward to you, too. There's also some news that I would want to write, so finding a way to coordinate articles and their writers would be a good thing, as well as editorial stuff. But overall, if it was something you enjoyed and just found that it didn't really have a place here on the forums, I think it would be a good fit for the rest of the site while it's being built. That's part of why I want to work on the Wordpress frontend first, because I would be able to have it ready to go before the Mediawiki backend, so having content for it certainly doesn't hurt.

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I would absolutely love to continue news there if you'd have me. ♥
Thank you for your feedback, everyone. I'm glad the articles did see some use in the community, even if they didn't help outreach much. Until we see this setup in late January (take your time please!), news will continue to be posted on FB/Twitter/Discord. Sorry for the lapse over the past week or so. I've been really down about this, which is silly haha — but I'm glad we did this and have something to keep going with and look forward to. And hey, posting a discussion thread if there's an interesting bit of news is a great idea n.n

I'll get the current News forum poofed within the week.
F
Don't feel down, we all really appreciate the work you've done with news and I know personally if it's in a more noticeable spot people will follow:)