Sports NFL 2019-2020

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
CST
The start of a new season draws near, as we are already a couple weeks into the preseason! Once again, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this season unfolds.

As usual, feel free to post predictions and what you are looking for out of the team you support for this year. I think there are a lot of playoff contenders and a small number of actual bad teams, but there probably aren't a lot of squads that can win the Super Bowl. Is yours one of them?

I'll have my own league-wide predictions in a later post. As for my team, the Houston Texans, long story short I think we have playoff potential but our conference is tough and we are still an offensive line and depth at secondary and healthy wide receivers away from truly contending. I don't think we're repeating as division champs.

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Alright, let's kick this off! (Literally.) As for my Eagles, I would say that yes, we are one of the potential Super Bowl champion squads. Two seasons removed from our first in franchise history, we're now without the man that was in the driver's seat for the epic finish, leaving it all on #11, one Carson Wentz. And we got quite a few new additions to our squad both through the draft and trades. I like our chances - if I'm being honest, the Saints in the Superdome are the only thing that I'm desperately hoping to not have happen to us.

I'll discuss that more when I do my predictions, which I'll do in another post. I'm quite excited to see how this goes! However, I'm not thrilled about what we've had to go through in the preseason so far - but we did sign 40-year old QB Josh McCown as a backup. Not that it really matters if Carson Wentz DOES go down once again, but we can't get on to the regular season quick enough.

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
The sky is not falling, it has fallen.

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
So I'm surprised that nobody has done predictions yet! I'll be the first. Let's get on with it!
AFC East:
  1. Patriots - The Tom Brady show. Enough said.
  2. Bills - That defense was quite stout last year. They could definitely steal a couple unexpected wins if Josh Allen and the offense picks it up.
  3. Jets - Sam Darnold can be fun to watch, but the question is whether he has the right tools with him to really get him moving or not.
  4. Dolphins - No comment.
Overall thoughts: This division continues to be the Tom Brady show. That being said, I wouldn't be completely stunned if the Bills or even Jets were able to take a Wild Card spot or even stun us all and take the division.

AFC North:
  1. Browns - Wow, who would've thought that we'd be predicting the Browns to win their division? With Baker Mayfield, OBJ and multiple other additions, it's really, REALLY hard to not get excited to see this team in action. Whether you think they're legitimate Super Bowl contenders, or they'll crash and burn, or they'll be good but not quite ready to get over the hump, you can't tell me you're not intrigued to see where this team goes.
  2. Ravens - While they did give away a handful of pieces to their defense last year that was the best in the AFC, there's still quite a bit that could keep them afloat and make them worthwhile. Lamar Jackson has the potential to have another solid outing. But will they?
  3. Steelers - Last year ended on a disappointing note for the Black and Gold brigade, and I can't see it improving. The organization is a mess, and their two drama laden players went to different teams. Big Ben isn't getting any younger. Things are only poised to get worse from here. I could be totally wrong - they are the Steelers, after all - but I have a feeling we may be in for some dark days ahead for this team and their time of dominance could be over.
  4. Bungles - Sure, they fired Marvin Lewis, but they still don't have a lot to use. I can barely even remember the names of any of their players aside from Andy Dalton, AJ Green and Tyler Boyd. Nothing really to say here.
Overall thoughts: I'm really excited for the Browns. After

AFC South:
  1. Jaguars - Last year for the Jaguars didn't exactly go the way they thought it would, but now they have a recent Super Bowl MVP quarterback. However, I can say from experience that Foles does best when he knows what's at stake, and if you wanna talk about Carson Wentz being injury prone you better look at Foles' history too, and the fact that he's actually never played a full season. This team could go any number of ways.
  2. Texans - As Jasper said, their O-line and wide receivers aren't quite up to snuff. And Deshaun Watson has been a serious sack magnet, but we'll see if that persists.
  3. Colts - Until two Saturdays ago, the Colts looked like Super Bowl contenders. But with Andrew Luck suddenly retiring, that puts the future of this franchise in serious question. What will happen with them? Can Jacoby Brissett make things interesting? It's not going to be an easy road back to something for them. But it's a shame, because I was really enjoying the Colts last year with how they surged, so now there's much to consider.
  4. Titans - As far as teams that look better on paper than they are, the Titans are one of them. Marcus Mariota struggled to stay healthy last year near the end of the season, and even so they were one ugly performance against the Colts away from the playoffs. They might pull something dumb out of nowhere (cough Patriots last year cough), but it's hard to see them really going places. Maybe I'll be wrong.
Overall thoughts: Here's a division that will NOT be easy to predict. All four teams have tools at the helm that can benefit them in one way or the other. Any of them could finish first. Any of them could take the two Wild Card spots. I hope you’re ready for a battle royale!

AFC West:
  1. Chiefs - Although they lost Kareem Hunt, and it’ll be tough for Mahomes to be the same player he was last year, they should still be big.
  2. Chargers - Philip Rivers is getting old, but they still have a solid defensive line. Melvin Gordon is continuing to hold out, but there's still more where that came from. They have karma biting them left and right, but they somehow tied with the Chiefs last year. They have no real home field advantage, but last year they played really well on the road. Every time I think of something bad about this team there's something good to balance it out. Except their owner is a complete braindead greed. **** you, Spanos.
  3. Raiders - If Antonio Brown continues to be an asshole, it's hard to see this team making proper use of him. Gruden can bite me, too. That being said, they SHOULD be a little better than last year for their last season before they move to Vegas. Key words being "a little".
  4. Broncos - Not really a whole lot to say about this team, honestly.
Overall thoughts: A team that should've been in the Super Bowl last year, another team that's solid but I feel could fall short, and two teams that are basically a joke. This should be the Chiefs' division for the taking.
NFC East:
  1. Eagles - Last year, the defending champions were predicted to be one of the best teams in the league once again, but things didn't exactly go the way that many (myself included) thought they would, owing largely in part to multiple injuries, including one underlying with Wentz even as he returned. But at the brink, Foles came back and made things VERY interesting. This time, however, things should be different. Doug Pederson isn’t about to let this happen two years in a row. And although there are idiots who have been leaving us for dead without Foles since the second we were disposed of at the hands of the Saints, it's time for this to pan out. Wentz has been unlucky in recent years, but this is bound to be when things change. Now is the chance for him to prove himself, and it's never been more established as Howie Roseman gifted him with a massive contract in June. In the words of one Malcolm Jenkins, by now, you should know better than to ever count us out.
  2. Cowboys - I would think there aren't any Cowboys fans here, so hopefully I'm not offending anyone when I say this… Anyway, the drama with Ezekiel Elliott could hurt them, and I'm sure we would all love that. However, they still have Amari Cooper, and Dak Prescott is hit or miss more often than not. Furthermore, they'll have some tough outings (enjoy at Bears, Patriots AND Saints, plus the Rams again). All this being said they could win a Wild Card spot depending on how things go.
  3. Giants - The only reason I don’t have them at 4th is because of Saquon. Other than that, they have NOTHING worthwhile. Hopefully I don’t jinx anything saying that…
  4. Redskins - lol.
Overall thoughts: Arguably two of the worst teams in the league, one of the best, and one that certainly deserves to be commended, as much as we hate to say it.

NFC North:
  1. Packers - I think the Packers are the safest pick to win the division. With Aaron Rodgers, you never know what legendary magic he'll pull in a game at any given moment. Although he has a new coach to adapt with, I think they'll be able to work things in.
  2. Bears - While they should be a good team, it'll be hard for them to replicate their success from last year. They have a harder schedule AND they lost their defensive coordinator who was at least partly responsible for their success. An they didn't do that much to add to their offense it feels like, including losing one of their prime sources to us. Sure, they should be able to steal at least one against a big team, but I don't expect them to be one of the best this time.
  3. Vikings - After their season that they believed would be Super Bowl bound ended in disappointment, the Vikings are looking for answers and hoping that Kirk Cousins can bounce back. I don't know. This could end like last year was supposed to for them or it could end much like last year did. We'll find out!
  4. Lions - Matt Patricia will have something to prove here, but still, the Lions, man.
Overall thoughts: Probably the hardest division to predict, either the NFC North or the AFC South. Every team except the Lions I think has a legitimate shot at making the playoffs.

NFC South:
  1. Saints - The big questions here are if they'll be able to easily move on from how their seasons have ended twice in a row, and more importantly, how much Drew Brees has left in the tank at age 40. We did go toe to toe with them in their place but fell short, so maybe they could be vulnerable. I swear though, if they eliminate us from the playoffs a third straight time…
  2. Falcons - As much as I would love for them to pull some craziness and take the division, it's hard to see that happening. That being said, their defensive line was decimated by injuries last year, and we saw how they were able to play in the two years before that. If they can stay healthy, and Matt Ryan and Julio Jones can continue to play to their best, they might compete for a Wild Card or even the division.
  3. Panthers - They could be in for a bad time after Newton was injured in the preseason, but whether he'll air that out or not has yet to be seen.
  4. Buccaneers - Not much to say here.
Overall thoughts: On paper, the Saints should run away with the division, but the Falcons or Panthers could have a say in the matter. Should be interesting.

NFC West:
  1. Rams - Although they may have a Super Bowl hangover, they still have big talent and should be the favorites to win the division.
  2. Seahawks - Russell Wilson was gifted a massive contract, so it’s on him to try to show that he was worthy of it. And with the new addition of Jadeveon Clowney, that was a big buff to their defensive line. But they’ll have some big battles (Rams twice, Saints, us…) to put them to the test. They should compete with the Rams for the division.
  3. 49ers - With Jimmy G coming off an ACL, it'll be a little hard to see him getting up to speed. He could, maybe he won't, but overall they're not a team I expect going far.
  4. Cardinals - The Kyler Murray show makes its beginning, but I don't think this is gonna be the year that he really flares it on.
Overall thoughts: Two teams that have the chance to hit it big, one that does have somewhat of a promising talent and one that I feel is more hype than shine. I wouldn't be surprised if the Seahawks take it!

Silver

Ice Ice Baby
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Christian
Predictions: my team will not suck

Not really in the mood for long winded assessments, especially considering I’m often half wrong most of the time. Should be a fun season to watch tho.

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
CST
Because tomorrow (tomorrow!) we have an NFC North matchup I'm gonna post predictions for the NFC only so I can get a few more days to finish up the AFC

NFC East

1. Philadelphia Eagles (11-5)

This is more or less the same team as last year - a solid all around roster that will contend for the Super Bowl. This time, however, Carson Wentz needs to stay healthy because there is no Nick Foles safety net anymore.

2. Dallas Cowboys (10-6)

(Prediction made assuming Ezekiel Elliott plays the full season) Honestly, this isn't a bad roster on paper either; the Cowboys have the star players on offense but not a lot of depth at WR and TE, which is really their only major weakness. There's a lot of depth at multiple defensive positions that will allow them to contend for the division title, at the very least.

3. New York Giants (5-11)

The Saquon Barkley show! I don't have a lot of faith in the rest of the offense to click this season, given the lack of star power everywhere else on the roster. The defense also has a lot of unproven players in starting positions.

4. Washington Redskins (5-11)

The defense has standouts, particularly at defensive line and linebacker. Getting Landon Collins at safety was also pretty big. The offense is the big question mark, especially at receiver and quarterback, where I'd really like to see Dwayne Haskins start by midseason. Offensive line will also be significantly weaker with Trent Williams still holding out as of this post.

NFC North

1. Chicago Bears (10-6)

The defense will still carry this team through games, even with Chuck Pagano as the new defensive coordinator. I'd like to see some improvement on offense, with more development from Mitchell Trubisky and the receivers. Without that I don't think they can truly be a Super Bowl contender, much less separate themselves from the rest of the division.

2. Minnesota Vikings (9-7)

I think new offensive coordinator breathes some life back into this offense, although offensive line is still a question mark and their decision to only have four WRs on the roster is curious. Dalvin Cook also needs to stay healthy because the names behind him aren't noteworthy. The defense will still be fine, however.

3. Green Bay Packers (8-8)

I'm not as high on the Packers as most are, and that mainly comes down to having a new head coach and making an unprecedented number of moves in free agency. The defense looks talented but since a number of them came from free agency it may take a bit of time for it to come together.

4. Detroit Lions (6-10)

The roster should be improved overall but I don't know if it's enough to really contend with the rest of the division. The offensive line continues to be a weakness of the team and that's bad news.

NFC South

1. New Orleans Saints (12-4)

Strong team all around. If Brees keeps up his usual level of play they are a clear favorite, but he dipped near the end of last season so I'm a little worried.

2. Atlanta Falcons (10-6)

Kind of in a similar spot to the Saints, but there needs to be more player development on the defensive line for me to feel more comfortable about this team.

3. Carolina Panthers (9-7)

This is an interesting team. Obviously, the trajectory of this season really depends on Cam Newton's health, since without him, the offense will look very one-dimensional. With free agency additions, there are a lot of big names on the defense, which should keep them in games - Gerald McCoy, Bruce Irvin, and Tre Boston are all significant newcomers here.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-11)

I don't like this team still. The offense will be more of the same with a high turnover rate and lack of running game, while I don't believe the defense got any better and will continue to be one of the worst in the NFL. May be looking at QB in the next draft.

NFC West

1. Los Angeles Rams (12-4)

Should be a Super Bowl contender again, as the path is clear and there weren't any major subtractions to the team.

2. Seattle Seahawks (9-7)

Wow, this defense looks pretty different from the one of a couple seasons ago! It'll be a good unit, though. The offense could easily struggle, especially with the amount of unprovens in the pass-catching positions, but Russell Wilson sets too high of a floor for it to be a serious issue. I think this squad could easily snag a wild card spot again.

3. San Francisco 49ers (7-9)

Jimmy Garoppolo needs to stay healthy and the younger players need to develop more before I consider this a playoff team.

4. Arizona Cardinals (3-13)

The defense won't be good, especially without their best player for the first 6 games of the season. That won't help an offense I feel very skeptical about heading into the season. The offensive line will have problems, and Kyler Murray is getting thrown into the fire with a scheme that presents a lot of unknowns. It will be an interesting experiment to keep an eye on.

Playoff Teams:

1: LA Rams
2: Saints
3: Eagles
4: Bears
WC1: Falcons
WC2: Cowboys
First Teams Out: Seahawks, Vikings

SpaceGoo

The Overseer
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Applejack, Tyltalis
Time Zone
Central
AFC:

1. NE
  2. KC
  3. CLE
  4. HOU
  5. LAC
  6. PIT
NFC:

1. LAR
  2. NO
  3. PHI
  4. CHI
  5. ATL
  6. MIN
Super Bowl 54: NE vs. NO, because it's rigged and they need redemption from last year.

God the NFC is so stacked. There's probably 9 teams that have playoff potential.

Last edited:

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
CST
A little late but yeah

AFC East

1. New England Patriots (13-3)

If the Patriots manage to keep Antonio Brown through the entire season they're the Super Bowl favorites.

2. New York Jets (7-9)

Improving roster, but I'm not sure the talent and coaching is quite enough for playoff contending just yet. I'd like for them to surprise me.

3. Buffalo Bills (5-11)

Josh Allen needs to develop as a passer for Buffalo to have a chance. The defense is there, but it can't carry this offense, which did improve in terms of the roster but not enough.

4. Miami Dolphins (3-13)

Tanking, whether Brian Flores wants to deny it or not. This roster is too depleted to be able to do much.

AFC North

1. Pittsburgh Steelers (10-6)

The Steelers may have lost two of their best offensive players, but they did lose almost all of the drama surrounding the team and they'll play better without it. This is still a talented team with a great offense.

2. Cleveland Browns (10-6)

Lots of talent that I like here, but the Browns have to actually put it together with a first-time head coach. I think that limits their potential for now, but it is enough to make the playoffs.

3. Baltimore Ravens (7-9)

Like with Buffalo, a good defense (albeit here it's a little depleted from previous years) and a sophomore quarterback who runs it better than he passes. I don't know if Lamar Jackson can truly develop as a pocket passer, at least not this year.

4. Cincinnati Bengals (3-13)

Too many issues on offense, especially offensive line, to fix to have a chance this year.

AFC South

1. Houston Texans (9-7)

After a crazy offseason I actually have no idea what to make of this team. There's no GM and I feel like we should have given Jadaeveon Clowney the money he wanted. Offensive line and secondary are still major problems even with getting Laremy Tunsil to be the franchise LT. But, this is still a talented roster, even if we gave away so much draft capital in the process. But I don't think it's enough to challenge the top AFC teams.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars (8-8)

The defense will continue to play at a high level, and there is hope for offense as long as Nick Foles stays healthy and plays more consistently.

3. Indianapolis Colts (7-9)

Too much talent around the roster to really tank, but I don't think Jacoby Brissett is the guy who can lead them easily into the playoffs. But this division is pretty wide open...

4. Tennessee Titans (7-9)

I just don't think Marcus Mariota has it in him to get this team to where it needs to be.

AFC West

1. Kansas City Chiefs (13-3)

The offense won't slow down much from last year. The defense needs some work but with all the names they signed it will come together eventually and at least be betterthan last year's.

2. Los Angeles Chargers (11-5)

Losing Melvin Gordon won't be as bad as not having Derwin James for most of the season, but this is still a great team with proven players all around. Should be able to easily make playoffs again.

3. Denver Broncos (7-9)

The defense will hold steady. The offense is a much bigger question as they are going to be reliant on Joe Flacco and a young group of skill players. At least one wide receiver is going to need to step up.

4. Oakland Raiders (4-12)

antonio brown headed out

I don't think this team will be good. There isn't enough proven talent on either side of the ball to have a chance in this division.

Playoff Teams:

1: Patriots
2: Chiefs
3: Steelers
4: Texans
WC1: Chargers
WC2: Browns
First Teams Out: Jaguars, Ravens

Super Bowl: Saints over Patriots