Monotype nkween's Pokemon White Mono Normal Challenge

nkween

Ace Trainer
Time Zone
GMT
~Hey Guys!

I've been a fan of the forums for a few years now however it has been a while since I've posted anything. To be honest, I had a bad habit of starting challenges on the azurilland forums and not finishing them (X Wonderlocke...). After many years and lots of undocumented challenges later, I have decided to post here once again with my first challenge under this username. Henceforth I bring to you... "nkween's Pokemon White Mono Normal Challenge".

Gen V is my favourite generation of Pokemon and the generation where my interest in Pokemon skyrocketed. Because of this, I thought this generation would be perfect for my introduction back to the community. I chose a Monotype challenge as I have completed two previously (Mono Water in Black and Mono Poison in Y) and really enjoy the utilizing move-sets to tackle common weaknesses.

I will be playing with a few rules and restrictions to increase the difficulty factor of the challenge, but nothing too extreme. I will document these below:

1. Battle mode will be played on "set".
  2. Only 1 healing item will be used per Pokemon per battle.
  3. Only 3 of any species can be caught. For example no catching dozens of Lillipup to get one with an Adamant nature etc.
Also I won't be playing with a strict level limit but will try and keep my team's levels from exceeding the level of the next Boss Trainer's strongest Pokemon - however if this occurs there won't be any punishment or consequences.

Anyway, I hope you guys will enjoy this challenge. It won't be told in story mode or anything but I will try and make my narration as interesting as possible. Also, I'm planning on putting a more detailed introduction to myself on my profile so if any of you guys are actually interested you can find out more there. Updates will probably be daily - I might even post one today.

Enjoy!~

nkween

Ace Trainer
Time Zone
GMT

icelandic

Adept Trainer
I'll be following this one, since I'm planning a mono-Normal in SoulSilver myself. The type benefits from wide TM movepools and only one weakness, but they can be a bit lacking without good TMs.

The situation you mention, of capturing loads of a Pokemon and picking the best, is actually something I rarely do in storyline runs. Never really thought of it to be honest, except for one or two rare instances.

nkween

Ace Trainer
Time Zone
GMT
@icelandic I'm glad to see you'll be following along. Yes the Normal-type does benefit from a wide movepool, however with the majority of Unova's Normal-types being physical attackers, I'm unsure how effective some of the most powerful TM's (such as Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball) will actually be.

Catching multiple of one species is something I watched Marriland do in his monotype challenges and I thought it was an interesting concept, especially early on when the number of unique Pokemon you can have on your team is small.

~Part 01: Far from Normal

I'm super excited to be starting this challenge. Upon starting the game, I decide to play as the boy character as I myself am a boy. I chose to name myself after my username as a way to mark these Pokemon as part of the challenge if I look back on the save file in the future. After Juniper introduces me to my best friends (not sure how they can be my best friends if we have never met, I've always found that very odd) I enter the world of Pokemon.

When it comes to deciding which starter to chose I end up picking Snivy :snivy:. I feel like Oshawott :oshawott: and Tepig :tepig: will prove as stronger opponents throughout the game due to Pignite and Emboar being Fighting-type and Dewott and Samurott knowing Fighting-type attacks. After defeating Cheren and Bianca (I didn't document the battle as it doesn't really count as I don't have access to my Normal-types yet) I head to the Lab. I nickname Snivy "temp" as she is a temporary team member (yes she's female, aww I'm sad I can't use her now...) and receive the Pokedex. I always found it interesting how the writers put in a lot of character development early on with Bianca arguing with her father and Cheren being a know-it-all to the professor. Anyway, into Route 01 to catch some Normal-types.

The first Pokemon I encounter is Lillipup :lillipup: (m) at Lv. 04. I catch him and nickname him Beethoven after a the movie with the dog. To be honest I've only seen that movie once when I was a child but I thought it would be a cute name. I also catch encounter a Patrat :patrat: (f) at Lv. 03 that I catch and nickname Scout. Patrat is the Scout Pokemon afterall. Annoying, Scout took two Pokeballs to catch her and EVEN MORE annoying is that I failed to catch another Patrat soon after and waste all of my Pokeballs *sigh*. I train the duo up to Lv. 07 (Beethoven learns Odor Sleuth and Scout learns Bite) before heading into Accumula Town.

At the Pokemon Centre Juniper teaches me how to heal my Pokemon and also how to use the PC. This is convienent as its time for me to release temp the Snivy. Farewell temp. After this brief tutorial I head outside and stumble upon Ghetsis giving his whole "liBeRatE tEh PoKeMaaNS" speech. As much as I find his peta-esk dialogue interesting, I've always struggled with the concept that team Plasma try and illude to. The idea that Pokemon must be liberated because they belong in the wild doesn't make sense to me as in Pokemon lore, it is stated that Pokemon have always been by humans side even before Pokeballs came into existence. Anyway, after the speech I get into my first proper boss battle with non other than the ever talkative N.

Vs. N
N sends out Purrloin :purrloin: (m) (Lv. 07)
I send out Beethoven :lillipup: (Lv. 07)
Purrloin uses Scratch (Beethoven HP: 21/24)
Beethoven uses Tackle (critical hit)
Purrloin uses Growl
Beethoven uses Tackle
*Purrloin :purrloin: faints*
Victory!
After defeating N, he and Cheren run away leaving me free to explore Route 02 and hopefully catch some more Pokemon with the Pokeballs I bought ftom the mart. On the way Mom shows up and gives me running shoes - YAY! On this route I manage to catch a Patrat :patrat: (m) Lv. 04 who i nickname "Filbert", a Lillipup :lillipup: (f) Lv. 04 who I nickname "Duchess", another Patrat :patrat: (m) Lv. 07 whom I nickname "Toothy" and a final Lillipup :lillipup: (m) Lv. 04 who I nickname Frodo. After looking at all of my Pokemon stats and natures, I decide to keep Scout :patrat: and Beethoven :lillipup: as the main Pokemon if their species I will be using. Scout has a Bashful nature so her stats are pretty well-rounded. Toothy :patrat: does have an Adamant nature, however upon inspection his Attack stat is actually lower than Scouts's. This may be due to him having a poor Attack-IV, however I will be more likely to use him compared to Filbert. Beethoven has Vital Spirit for his ability which will turn into Intimidate upon evolving. Because of this, I decide to use him over Duchess :lillipup: who has pickup as her ability. This however will be useful to have for collecting rare item.

After battling my way through Route 02 with Scout (who reaches Level 09 and learns Bide along the way) I reach the end of the Route where one of my "best friends" Bianca challenges me to a battle.

Vs. Bianca
Bianca sends out Lillipup :lillipup: (f) (Lv. 06)
I send out Beethoven :lillipup: (Lv. 08)
*Lillipup :lillipup: faints*
Bianca sends out Oshawott :oshawott: (m) (Lv. 07)
Beethoven uses Tackle (takes to Yellow HP)
Oshawott uses Tackle (Beethoven HP: 24/28)
Beethoven uses Tackle
*Oshawott :oshawott: faints*
Victory!
After taking out Bianca, i head into Striation City where I decide to end this part. I didn't want to go overboard for this first part seeing as its easy to group a lot of early game Unova together. So far I am really enjoying this challenge and hope you guys will enjoy this not so normal adventure through one of my favourite Pokemon games.

• Began the game and chose the male trainer
  • Picked Snivy as my starter Pokemon in order for rivals to use Oshawott and Tepig
  • Entered Route 01
  • Caught Beethoven the Lillipup on Route 01
  • Caught Scout the Patrat on Route 01
  • Entered Accumula Town
  • Battled and defeated N
  • Entered Route 02
  • Caught Filbert the Patrat on Route 02
  • Caught Duchess the Lillipup on Route 02
  • Caught Toothy the Patrat on Route 02
  • Caught Frodo the Lillipup on Route 02
  • Battled and defeated Bianca
  • Entered Striaton City

Beethoven :lillipup: (m) (Lv. 09)
Normal
Vital Spirit
28 / 17 / 14 / 13 / 15 / 13
Quiet Nature
Tackle | Bite | Leer | Odor Sleuth

Scout :patrat: (f) (Lv. 09)
Normal
Run Away
27 / 17 / 14 / 13 / 13 / 14
Bashful Nature
Tackle | Bite | Leer | Bide

Toothy :patrat: (m) (Lv. 07)
Normal
Run Away
24 / 13 / 11 / 9 / 11 / 11
Adamant Nature
Tackle | Bite | Leer | --

Duchess :lillipup: (f) (Lv. 04)
Normal
Pickup
18 / 10 / 9 / 7 / 9 / 9
Docile Nature
Tackle | Leer | -- | --

Filbert :patrat: (m) (Lv. 04)
Normal
Run Away
17 / 10 / 7 / 8 / 8 / 8
Mild Nature
Tackle | Leer | -- | --

Frodo :lillipup: (m) (Lv. 04)
Normal
Vital Spirit
18 / 10 / 8 / 7 / 8 / 10
Mild Nature
Tackle | Leer | -- | --

None

Comment Question: What is your favourite Normal-type Pokemon and why?

Mine is Stoutland :stoutland:. Actually Stoutland is my favourite Pokemon of all time. I just think it is adorable and has always served me well during my playthroughs. I hope Beethoven serves me well!

Until next time guys.
See Ya!~

Last edited:

Pentatope

The Paradoxical Plant Person
Time Zone
PDT
My favorite Normal-type Pokemon is probably Lillipup. I was introduced back into Pokemon with Pokemon Black and White, for that reason I have a soft spot in my heart for all 5th Gen Pokemon. One of these Pokemon are Lillipup.

But wow. You sure are going all out for the normal type team, XD. I never considered using 3 Patrats and 3 Lillipups right out the gate. Good luck with your challenge, nevertheless.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Look at that Lillipup and Patrat army.

Normal type Pokemon usually have a huge variety of types available in their movepool to make up for the fact that Normal is not super effective against anything.

That being said, there are a lot of strong Fighting types in gen V so be careful!

icelandic

Adept Trainer
Indeed, early game normals army!

As for my favourite normal type, I'm drawn to :linoone: Linoone. Mainly because it's one of not many fully-evolved Pokemon to get Pickup, and that's a really nice addition to a storyline team. I also like the design, all sleek and streamlined with go faster stripes and it looks like it would be so strokable. Battling-wise it's far from the strongest normal type but it does have good speed and Belly Drum and USUM made the formerly event-only ExtremeSpeed breedable onto Linoone.

nkween

Ace Trainer
Time Zone
GMT
@Pentatope Yeah I guess you could say I really like my Normal-types. To be honest I was hoping for at least two of the Lillipup I caught to have Pickup as their ability but I didn't get that lucky. Lillipup is indeed an adorable Pokemon, the whole evolution line has a soft spot in my heart. :lillipup::herdier::stoutland:

@Kaori The many Fighting-types of Gen V are definitely a big concern going forward. I'm thinking that Pidove (and perhaps Rufflet later on) will be key members of the team. :pidove::rufflet:

@icelandic Linoone is such a cool Pokemon! Definitely one of my favourite early game mons from Hoenn. I just love how sleek yet fluffy it looks. Ahhh cuteness. :linoone:

~Part 02: Welcome to Chili's

Just want to preface this part by stating it is going to be on the short side. This is due to me wanting to keep part seperated by badges (so part 01 and 02 will fall under the Trio Badge section). Anyway I hope you enjoy this part.

Last time I entered Striaton City but didn't get much of a chance to explore. There isn't much to this city but I do manage to pick up a few Pokeballs from different NPCs around town. After healing my Pokemon at the Pokemon Centre, its time to hit up the trainer's school. I've always felt like the trainer's school would be best suited for Accumula Town as it would actually give that town a purpose but I guess it works here. Cheren is reading the notes on the blackboard and says he has a reward for me if I can beat him in battle.

Vs. Cheren
Cheren sends out Tepig :tepig: (m) (Lv. 08)
I send out Beethoven :lillipup: (Lv. 09)
Beethoven uses Tackle (takes to just over half HP)
Tepig uses Ember (Beethoven HP: 22/28)
Beethoven uses Tackle (takes to red HP, heals up to yellow with berry)
Tepig uses Tail Whip
Beethoven used Tackle (takes to red HP)
Tepig uses Tail Whip
Beethoven uses Tackle
*Tepig :tepig: faints*
Cheren sends out Purrloin :purrloin: (m) (Lv. 08)
Purrloin uses Scratch (Beethoven HP: 15/28 HP)
Beethoven uses Tackle (takes to yellow HP)
Purrloin uses Scratch (Beethoven HP: 8/28)
Beethoven uses Tackle
Victory!
The battle allows Beethoven :lillipup: to grow to Lv. 10. After taking Cheren out, he suggests I head to the dreamyard to train. I take his advice and head there after healing my Pokemon. I manage to take out the two trainers there with Scout :patrat: allowing her to reach Lv. 10 as well. The only thing left to do is take on the Gym. However, my team is a little on the weak side so i decide to head back to Route 02 and train.

I manage to get Beethoven :lillipup: and Scout :patrat: to Lv. 12 (Scout learns Detect) before heading into the gym. This Gym uses a mix of Normal, Dark and Fire-type Pokemon as I chose Snivy as my starter. None of the Pokemon on either side will be able to deal super-effective attacks at this point so it will be a battle of brute strength (and maybe a little tactic). I use Beethoven to take out the gym trainers and he reaches Lv. 13. When I make it to the Gym Leader (or should I say leaders) it is decided Chili will be my opponent. Chili is actually my favoruite out of the three brothers as I feel he has the most personality. Cilan is a bit bland and Cress... well I don't really know anything about him. Before I begin the battle, I equip Oran berries to Beethoven :lillipup: and Scout :patrat:. Without further ado, let's see how my army of Patrat and Lillipup fare against the first Gym Leader.

Vs. Gym Leader Chili
Chili sends out Lillipup :lillipup: (m) (Lv. 12)
I send out Beethoven :lillipup: (Lv. 13)
Lillipup uses Work Up
Beethoven uses Leer
Lillipup uses Bite (critical hit - Beethoven HP: 15/37)
Beethoven heals to 25/37 HP with the Oran berry but Lillipup's pickup allows it to do the same healing it to green HP.
Beethoven uses Tackle
*Lillipup :lillipup: faints*
Chili sends out Pansear :pansear: (m) (Lv. 14)
Pansear uses Work Up
Beethoven uses Leer
Pansear uses Work Up
Pansear uses Incinerate (Beethoven HP: 14/39)
Beethoven uses Tackle
*Pansear :pansear: faints*
Victory!
The battle allows for Beethoven :lillipup: to grow to Lv. 14. After deating Chili, I am rewarded with the Trio Badge as well as TM83 Work Up. This is a move everyone on my team can learn so just to be safe I decide to teach it to everyone. As I leave the Gym I am approaches by Fennel who takes me into her home and talks to be about dream mist. I feel as if this scene has aged poorly as the Dream World is no longer a thing. Regardless, it was a cool concept at the time. She gives me HM01 Cut which i will need to proceed into the Dreamyard - our next destination (WHERE WE CAN CATCH A NEW POKEMON YAY). I reluctantly teach Cut to Filbert :patrat: before healing my Pokemon at the Pokemon Centre and heading for the Dreamyard.

Once again, sorry for the shorter part, I really wanted to keep the Gym battle contained. I'm feeling pretty inspired so I might upload another part later on today if I have the time to play and document. Thanks for reading!

• Explored Striation City
  • Defeated Cheren at the Trainer's School
  • Explored the Dreamyard (outer)
  • Trained Beethoven :lillipup: and Scout :patrat: for the Gym
  • Defeated Chili and the Striaton City Gym

Beethoven :lillipup: (m) Lv. 14 @none
Normal
Vital Spirit
39 / 25 / 20 / 17 / 21 / 18
Quiet Nature
Tackle | Bite | Leer | Work Up

Scout :patrat: (f) Lv. 12 @Oran Berry
Normal
Run Away
32 / 22 / 17 / 16 / 16 / 17
Bashful Nature
Tackle | Bite | Work Up | Detect

Toothy :patrat: (m) Lv. 07 @none
Normal
Run Away
24 / 13 / 11 / 9 / 11 / 11
Adamant Nature
Tackle | Bite | Leer | Work Up

Duchess :lillipup: (f) Lv. 04 @none
Normal
Pickup
18 / 10 / 9 / 7 / 9 / 9
Docile Nature
Tackle | Leer | Work Up | --

Filbert :patrat: (m) Lv. 04 @none
Normal
Run Away
17 / 10 / 7 / 8 / 8 / 8
Mild Nature
Tackle | Leer | Work Up | Cut

Frodo :lillipup: (m) Lv. 04 @none
Normal
Vital Spirit
18 / 10 / 8 / 7 / 8 / 10
Mild Nature

None

What do you guys think of the way this is being formatted (especially for the boss battles)? I added sprites into the text and I think it makes it look more appealing. Any feedback would be great. :kecleon:

Comment Question: What is your favourite elemental monkey? I personally really like Simisage :simisage: something about that giant leaf on its head makes it seem really cool. I don't understand why these Pokemon get so much hate to be honest. There's plenty of other gimmicky Pokemon out there.

Until next time guys.
See ya!~

Pentatope

The Paradoxical Plant Person
Time Zone
PDT
My favorite elemental monkey has got to be Pansage. I have a soft spot in my heart for grass types. Plus, the other two monkeys don't look visually appealing in my opinion.

As for the sprites, I enjoy them. It breaks up the walls of text, that tends to happen when people write their Pokemon challenges. Good job beating your first gym btw, seven more gym leaders to go!

nkween

Ace Trainer
Time Zone
GMT
@Pentatope I'm glad you're enjoying this so far, I'm certainly enjoying playing.

~Part 03: From Striaton to Nacrene

Last time we finished off oustide of the Dreamyard ready to cut down the tree blocking the interior so let's continue. Filbert :patrat: uses Cut in order to grant us access inside and Bianca just so happens to appear so she doesn't need to teach any of her Pokemon a useless HM. How convenient. Inside Team Plasma is abusing a poor Munna, like literally physically abusing it. I remember when I was a little younger this scene would really upset me because I love animals and this is the Pokemon equivalent of animal abuse. I take the two grunts down using Scout :patrat: before a creepy vision of Ghetsis appears scaring the grunts away. Fennel appears again ranting about dream mist before I am finally free to catch some new Pokemon.

As per my limit of three rules, I catch three Audino :audino: here in the Dreamyard. First is a male at Lv. 11 who I name Fluffball :audino:, next is a male at Lv. 08 who i name Magenta :audino: and last is a female at Lv. 11 who i name Bonbon :audino:. Upon close inspection at the Pokemon Centre I realise i have a difficult decision to make. Bonbon :audino: currently has superior stats, however Fluffball :audino: has Regenerator for his ability which is far more useful than Healer. I decide Fluffball :audino: will be our main Audino - he has a Mild nature which will help with his special attacks down the line. I visit Fennel once again at her house and receive the C-Gear as well as the Pal Pad from Amanita. I've always liked the idea of the C-Gear and I kind of hope we see the return of something similar in future games.

Onto Route 03 where there is a multitude of battles awaiting by the Nursery. I manage to defeat the trainers with Scout :patrat: and Fluffball :audino: allowing for Scout :patrat: to reach Lv. 14. As I make my way along the route, I am ambushed by Cheren who challenges me to a Pokemon battle.

Vs. Cheren
Cheren sends out Tepig :tepig: (m) (Lv. 14)
I sent out Beethoven :lillipup: (Lv. 14)
Tepig uses Ember (Beethoven HP: 32/39)
Beethoven uses Work Up
Beethoven uses Tackle (takes to yellow HP, oran berry heals Tepig :tepig: back to green)
Tepig uses Odor Sleuth
Tepig uses Tail Whip
*Tepig :tepig: faints*
Cheren sends out Purrloin :purrloin: (m) (Lv. 12)
Purrloun uses Fury Swipes - hits twice (Beethoven HP: 26/39)
Purrloin uses Growl
Beethoven uses Tackle
Victory!
The battle allows for Beethoven :lillipup: to grow to Lv. 15 and learn Take Down. Suddenly two Team Plasma grunts race by followed by Bianca and a young girl. Bianca explains to Cheren that Team Plasma stole the girls Pokemon and we must get it back. Cheren runs off like a mad man but before I follow I there is a new Pokemon I can catch on this route - and it is a very important Pokemon as it will counter my team's weakness to Fighting-types - Pidove :pidove:. The first I catch is a female at Lv. 09 that I name Starling :pidove:, next is a male at Lv. 11 that I name Breezy :pidove: and last is another female, this time at Lv. 08, who I name Robin :pidove:. Unfortunately all three of the Pidove :pidove: I catch have Big Pecks instead of Super Luck. I guess you could say that's super-bad luck... *sigh* I'll show myself out. Again, it's a toss up between the Jolly Starling :pidove: and the Lonely Robin :pidove: but i end up selecting Robin :pidove: as she will have to utilize some special based moves for a while.

Before heading into the cave I decide to train my team up to Lv. 16. Having access to Audino :audino: in the shaking grass will make training a lot easier. Whilst leveling up - Scout :patrat: learns Crunch, Fluffball :audino: learns Attract and Robin :pidove: learns both Quick Attack and Air Cutter. However most importantly Beethoven :lillipup: evolves into Herdier :herdier:. His Vital Spirit ability turns into Intimidate which I feel will be vital in some of the upcoming boss battles. After I finish training, I head into Wellspring Cave.

I use our new addition Robin :pidove: to make quick work of the Team Plasma grunts who upon defeat return the girl's Pokemon. Typical Cheren wants to be the hero and insists on returning the girl's Pokemon immediately leaving me free to explore the cave. There isn't much to explore at this point but I do pick up the TM for Thief which is pretty useless as none of my Pokemon can even learn it. I leave the cave and return to Bianca and the girl who thank me for my efforts before leaving. I explore the rest of Route 03 battling the remainder of the trainers with Scout :patrat: allowing her to grow to Lv. 17. The final trainer on the route poses a bit more of a challenge than the usual trainers as he uses a Roggenrola :roggenrola: who resists my slew of Normal-type attacks. However, Scout's :patrat: Crunch does the trick. With that, I enter the gate to Nacrene City.

• Battled Team Plasma at the Dreamyard
  • Caught Fluffball :audino: in the Dreamyard
  • Caught Magenta :audino: in the Dreamyard
  • Caught Bonbon :audino: in the Dreamyard
  • Defeated Cheren on Route 03
  • Caught Starling :pidove: on Route 03
  • Caught Breezy :pidove: on Route 03
  • Caught Robin :pidove: on Route 03
  • Trained up my team
  • Beethoven :lillipup: evolved into Herdier :herdier:
  • Battled Team Plasma in Wellspring Cave
  • Entered the gate to Nacrene City

Beethoven :herdier: (m) Lv. 17 @none
Normal
Intimidate
52 / 36 / 30 / 23 / 32 / 23
Quiet Nature
Tackle | Bite | Take Down | Work Up

Scout :patrat: (f) Lv. 17 @none
Normal
Run Away
42 / 29 / 22 / 20 / 20 / 22
Bashful Nature
Tackle | Crunch | Work Up | Detect

Fluffball :audino: (m) Lv. 16 @none
Normal
Regenerator
59 / 24 / 32 / 26 / 36 / 21
Mild Nature
Double Slap | Attract | Refresh | Work Up

Robin :pidove: (f) Lv. 17 @none
Normal | Flying
Big Pecks
45 / 28 / 24 / 20 / 16 / 22
Lonely Nature
Quick Attack | Air Cutter | Leer | Growl

Normal
Pickup
18 / 10 / 9 / 7 / 9 / 9
Docile Nature

Normal
Run Away
17 / 10 / 7 / 8 / 8 / 8
Mild Nature

Toothy :patrat: (m) Lv. 07 - Adamant Nature
Frodo :lillipup: (m) Lv. 04 - Mild Nature
Magenta :audino: (m) Lv. 08 - Bashful Nature
Bonbon :audino: (f) Lv. 11 - Calm Nature
Starling :pidove: (f) Lv. 09 - Jolly Nature
Breezy :pidove: (m) Lv. 11 - Lax Nature

Training and using Fluffball :audino: is proving to be rather difficult for the time being. His only damaging attack is Double Slap which is pretty unreliable. I think he will learn Secret Power at Lv. 20 which should aid him in battle. I'm quite nervous for some of the trainers coming up. I know this is when a few Fighting-types begin to show up so my team will well and truly be tested. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this part. Again, it is on the shorter side as I want to include at least two parts per badge and we will be taking on Lenora in the next part. :watchog:

Comment Question: What is the worst luck you've had in a challenge run? Having three Pidove :pidove: none of which with Super Luck is annoying but not game changing. The worst luck I can remember having is losing 5 Pokemon to Colress during a White 2 Wedlocke - absolutely brutal.

Until next time guys.
See ya!~

icelandic

Adept Trainer
My LeafGreen Wedlocke-variant got Game Overed by Misty. Though I'm not sure that's bad luck as such, but rather bad planning.

Early in my current LeafGreen Scramble, I had over a hundred encounters in Viridian Forest without seeing a Pikachu. At the alleged 5% encounter rate the odds of that are 170 to 1.

nkween

Ace Trainer
Time Zone
GMT
@Klave I'm very sad I won't have access to Skill Link Cinccino :cinccino:, it would definitely make the challenge a lot easier I'll tell you that. I guess normal Cinccino will have to do. I'm glad you like the format of these updates - I will continue to format them this way for the remainder of this challenge. Thanks for the feedback.

@icelandic Yes I was reading about your Pikachu :pikachu: dilemma earlier and I'm baffled at the bad luck there. Hopefully you'll encounter some good luck as you continue the challenge. Keep up the good work.

~Part 04: A Hypnotizing Battle

Last time we left off away to enter Nacrene City. As soon as I make my way through the gate my "best friend" Cheren appears to show me the way to the Pokemon Centre. Getting my bearings of the city wouldn't have been as issue seeing as this is probably my 50th time playing this game however he also gives me Chesto berries which will come in handy against a certain Pokemon I will be battling soon. I guess him showing up isn't entirely pointless then. After healing my Pokemon at the Pokemon Centre, I explore the rest of the city.

I really like Nacrene City. It's probably one of my favourite cities in Pokemon as it is very different from a lot of other cities. It is very art focused and reminds me of a city I lived near when I was living in the USA. As I make my way towards the museum, a familiar face appears, the ever-chatty N.He rambles some more about truth and ideals before challenging me to our second battle - this time he has more than a Purrloin :purrloin: on his team.

Vs. N
N sends out Pidove :pidove: (m) (Lv. 13)
I send out Fluffball :audino: (Lv. 16)
Fluffball uses Work Up
Pidove uses Growl
Fluffball uses Double Slap - hits three times (takes to green HP)
Pidove uses Growl
Pidove uses Quick Attack (Fluffball HP: 46/59)
Fluffball uses Double Slap - hits three times (one is a critical hit)
*Pidove :pidove: faints*
N Sends out Timburr :timburr: (m) (Lv. 13)
I switch Fluffball :audino: out for Robin :pidove: (Lv. 17)
Timburr uses Focus Energy
Robin uses Air Cutter - Timburr avoids the attack
Timburr uses Low Kick (Robin HP: 39/45)
Robin uses Air Cutter (takes to red HP)
Timburr uses Leer - Big Pecks prevents defense lower
Robin uses Quick Attack
*Timburr :timburr: faints*
N sends out Tympole :tympole: (m) (Lv. 13)
Tympole uses Bubble Beam (Robin HP: 23/45)
Robin uses Air Cutter (takes to green HP)
Tympole uses Bubble Beam (Robin HP: 4/45)
Robin uses Quick Attack
*Tympole :tympole: faints*
Victory!
After the battle N runs off talking about needing Reshiram's :reshiram: power. I decide to explore the outskirts of Pinwheel Forest before taking on the Gym. A battle girl at the entrance gives me the TM for Rock Smash which unfortunately only Beethoven :herdier: can learn. I teach him it anyway as it will come in handy against the Normal-types in Nacrene City's Gym. I manage to defeat the trainers on in the area however some prove to be more difficult than others. The preschooler with Petilil :petilil: loves to spam Sleep Powder which puts multiple members of my team to sleep forcing me to heal with the Nurse at the start of the area. A youngster's Tympole :tympole: confuses Beethoven :herdier: with Supersonic but he manages to pull through and break through the confusion three times in a row, what a bro. The most challenging trainers in the area are the black belt and battle girl who use Timburr :timburr:. They love to use Rock Throw and manage to take out Robin :pidove:. Perhaps she won't be the best counter to Fighting-types.

Before I head back to the Gym I decide to train up my team. Lenora is a pretty challenging Gym Leader so I want to ensure my team will be able to put up a fight. I train both Robin :pidove: and Beethoven :herdier: to Lv. 19 (Robin :pidove: learns Roost) and Fluffball :audino: and Scout :patrat: to Lv. 20. When he levels up, Fluffball :audino: learns Secret Power allowing him to be more viable in battle. Scout :patrat: also evolves into Watchog :watchog: and learns Hypnosis but I decide against teaching her Confuse Ray. With that, I decide to head back to Nacrene City and take on the Gym.

What I like the most about the Gyms in Unova (more so in Black 2 and White 2) is that the Gym's serve a purpose other than just being a Gym. Nacrene City Gym is a prime example of this as it also doubles as a museum. Upon entering, Lenora'as husband Hawes greets me and gives me a brief tour of the museum before allowing me to enter the Gym. I think having the Gyms serve multiple purposes adds to the realism of the towns and cities and therefore makes Unova feel more alive.

Inside the Gym, I defeat the first trainer who uses a Patrat :patrat: (Lv. 17) with Beethoven :herdier:. Beethoven :herdier: also takes out the second trainer and her Herdier :herdier: (Lv. 17). The two battles allow for Beethoven :herdier: to grow to Lv. 20. The last trainer uses three Lillipup :lillipup: :lillipup: :lillipup: (Lv. 17) who I take out with Robin :pidove:. I press the secret switch in the bookcase and head down the staircase into the basement. Lenora awaits me congratulating me on solving the Gym puzzle before challenging me to a battle. Here comes the second Gym Leader of Unova.

Vs. Gym Leader Lenora
Lenora sends out Herdier :herdier: (f) (Lv. 18)
I send out Fluffball :audino: (Lv. 20)
Herdier uses Take Down - Fluffball avoids the attack
Fluffball uses Attract
Herdier is immobilized by love
Fluffball uses Work Up
Fluffball uses Work Up
Fluffball uses Secret Power (takes to yellow HP)
Herdier uses Leer
Fluffball uses Secret Power
*Herdier :herdier: faints*
Lenora sends out Watchog :watchog: (f) (Lv. 20)
Watchog uses Hypnosis - Fluffball falls asleep
Fluffball is fast asleep
Watchog uses Retaliate (Fluffball HP: 46/71)
Fluffball is fast asleep
Watchog uses Retaliate (Fluffball HP: 15/71)
Fluffball is fast asleep
I use a Hyper Potion on Fluffball
Watchog uses Retaliate (Fluffball HP: 43/71)
Watchog uses Retaliate (Fluffball HP: 16/71)
Fluffball wakes up and uses Attract
Watchog uses Retaliate
*Fluffball :audino: faints*
I send out Beethoven :herdier: (Lv. 20)
Watchog uses Leer
Beethoven uses Rock Smash (does 1/4 HP)
Watchog uses Hypnosis - Beethoven falls asleep
Beethoven is fast asleep
Watchog uses Crunch (Beethoven HP: 43/60)
Beethoven is fast asleep
Watchog uses Leer
Beethoven wakes up and uses Rock Smash (takes to yellow HP)
Watchog uses Hypnosos - it misses
Beethoven uses Rock Smash
*Watchog :watchog: faints*
Victory!
So yeah remember when I said those Chesto berries would be really useful? Well they would have been had I remembered to actually equip them to my Pokemon prior to he battle. Gosh that Hypnosis is really annoying. Anyway, the battle allows for Beethoven :herdier: to grow to Lv. 21. I feel he is the leader of the team and I think it really shows, he is constantly pulling through in battle to aid his teammates. I do feel like Fluffball :audino: also deserves praise for defeating Herdier :herdier: though.

Lenora rewards my triumph with the Basic badge as well as the TM for Retaliate. Suddenly Hawes comes running into the room with a panicked look on his face. He informs us that Team Plasma have appeared and are causing havoc in the museum. Lenora joins him and the two run back upstairs and our of the Gym portion of the museum. Somehow I feel like I'll be roped into helping out...

• Entered and explored Nacrene City
  • Defeated N outside of the museum
  • Explored and defeated the trainers on the outskirts of Pinwheel Forest
  • Scout :patrat: evolved into Watchog :watchog:
  • Defeated Lenora and the Nacrene City Gym

Beethoven :herdier: (m) Lv. 21 @none
Normal
Intimidate
62 / 43 / 36 / 27 / 38 / 28
Quiet Nature
Tackle | Bite | Rock Smash | Work Up

Scout :watchog: (f) Lv. 20 @none
Normal
Illuminate
54 / 46 / 37 / 33 / 35 / 40
Bashful Nature
Tackle | Crunch | Work Up | Hypnosis

Fluffball :audino: (m) Lv. 20 @none
Normal
Regenerator
71 / 29 / 39 / 31 / 43 / 25
Mild Nature
Secret Power | Attract | Refresh | Work Up

Robin :pidove: (f) Lv. 19 @none
Normal | Flying
Big Pecks
50 / 30 / 26 / 21 / 17 / 24
Lonely Nature
Quick Attack | Air Cutter | Roost | Work Up

Normal
Pickup
18 / 10 / 9 / 7 / 9 / 9
Docile Nature

Normal
Run Away
17 / 10 / 7 / 8 / 8 / 8
Mild Nature

I don't have many additional thoughts after this update. I think that my biggest challenge going forward will be figuring out a way to handle Fighting-type and Rock-type Pokemon. Robin :pidove: will do pretty well against Fighting-types however Rock-types will be a struggle until I get Sawsbuck :sawsbuck: later in the game. Hope you all enjoyed this part.

Comment Question: What is your least favourite status condition to be inflicted with? Mine is confusion for sure as it is really a luck of the draw if you hurt yourself or the opponent. Although after this part, I can say that I'm not the biggest fan of sleep. Sorry Spore users :breloom:.

Until next time guys.
See Ya!~

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Another gym badge so that's a good thing! Unfortunately you are stuck with the same Pokemon over and over again for now. This is a general problem in B/W which is probably why so many people hated the games. > < You don't start seeing new Pokemon until around the 3rd gym.

As for the question, I will have to agree with you that Confusion is the worst. (Especially when it causes a death in a Nuzlocke) Also freeze in gen I is an absolute nightmare.

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Congrats on obtaining your second badge! You've got a nice team going for you so far, but Sawsbuck will definitely be a big help!
I agree that confusion is a pain, but I dislike sleep more (especially in challenges).

Also, to answer your earlier question (kinda late, but I didn't have the chance to reply earlier :p) - there are quite a few awesome Normal-types out there, but my favorite would have to be Swellow :swellow:, mainly for nostalgic reasons. I got into Pokemon around Gen 3, so I replayed Emerald quite a lot of times and I would include a Swellow on my team more often than not in those early days. Plus, it’s got some awesome, though gimmicky strategies to use in competitive!

nkween

Ace Trainer
Time Zone
GMT
@Kaori Yeah it will be a little annoying as I'm going to be stuck with these four for a little while. I should have a team of 6 by the 5th badge however so I guess that isn't too far away.

@Calaf Yes Sawsbuck :sawsbuck: is probably going to be a lifesaver. I'm thinking Cinccino :cinccino: will also be good on my team as of now their movesets are a little lacking. I also really like Swellow :swellow: it's probably my favourite early bird Pokemon alongside Toucannon :toucannon:.

~Part 05: Battles Galore

Last time we left off, Hawes and Lenora had exited the Gym as Team Plasma is causing some trouble out front. I follow suit and as predicted I am tasked to retrieve the Dragonite :dragonite: skull they steal. Outside the museum I am introduced to Burgh, the Gym leader of Castelia City who insists the two of us search Pinwheel Forest. Bianca and Cheren also make an appearance giving me the Dowsing Machine before allowing me to leave Nacrene City. I heal my team with the Nurse on the outskirts of Pinwheel Forest before making my way inside.

Burgh suggests I explore the deeper section of the forest and I do so battling Twins with two Sewaddle :sewaddle: :sewaddle: on my way in. The battle allows for Fluffball :audino: to grow to Lv. 21. Robin :pidove: is able to defeat the two Plasma grunts ahead who use Sandile :sandile: and Purrloin :purrloin: respectively allowing her to grow to Lv. 20. She struggles however against a Pokemon Ranger and his Herdier :herdier: so Beethoven :herdier: has to come to the rescue. A battle against a Youngster and his Venipede :venipede: and Timburr :timburr: allows Robin :pidove: to reach Lv. 21. You know what this means: Robin :pidove: finally evolves into Tranquill :tranquill:. She was starting to fall behind a little on the team so hopefully this allows her to become more useful.

Ahead, Scout :watchog: defeates three Pokemon Rangers who use the elemental monkeys :pansage: :panpour: :pansear: as well as another Plasma grunt who uses :patrat:. I find the TM for Grass Knot and decide to teach it to Fluffball :audino: to give him some coverage. He is able to test his new move against the final Plasma grunt who uses two Patrat :patrat: :patrat: as well as a Sandile :sandile:. After the battle, Gorm of the Seven Sages appears before the Dragonite :dragonite: Skull is returned to me. I never really understood the point in the Seven Sages other than Ghetsis (and perhaps Zinzolin and Rood in the sequels). They don't show up enough to be memorable in this game. Maybe that's just my opinion though.

After Team Plasma retreat, Burgh and Lenora appear thanking me for my efforts. Lenora gifts me a Moon Stone before the two leave the area. Before I continue towards Castelia City, I decide to battle the remaining trainers in the area. Fluffball :audino: defeats a School Kid with a Pidove :pidove: and a Purrloin :purrloin: as well as a Lass with three Woobat :woobat: :woobat: :woobat:. Scout :watchog: defeats the final trainer in the area, a School Kid with a Munna :munna:. I heal my Pokemon with the Nurse on the outskirts before crossing Skyarrow bridge and reaching Castelia City.

Castelia is a massive place so I'll only be exploring a small portion of it in this part. The rest (as well as the Gym) will be explored in the next part which I might end up posting late tonight. Anyway, I visit the first three piers in the city before reaching the battle company. I decide my team could do with a little more experience before taking on the Gym and decide to tackle this gauntlet now. On the 47th floor, Scout :watchog: defeats a Clerk with a Herdier :herdier: as well as a Scientist with a Roggenrola :roggenrola:. The battles allow her to grow to Lv. 22 and learn Super Fang. Robin :tranquill: defeats a Clerk with Petilil :petilil: and Cottonee :cottonee: and Beethoven :herdier: defeats another two who use a Timburr :timburr: and three Basculin :basculin: :basculin: :basculin: respectively. Basculin :basculin: give some great experience allowing him to reach Lv. 23.

On the 55th floor, Robin :tranquill: defeats a Clerk with a Woobat :woobat:, a Scientist with a Sewaddle :sewaddle: and a final Clerk with the elemental monkeys :pansear: :panpour: :pansage:. Fluffball :audino: assists her :tranquill: in the defeat of a Scientist with a Munna :munna: allowing her to grow to Lv. 23. The chairman of the battle company is the last one standing and he uses a Trubbish :trubbish: and Minccino :minccino:. Fluffball :audino: is able to defeat the two Pokemon with ease. He gives me the Exp. Share as a reward for defeating him. I head back to the Pokemon Centre to heal up my team before preparing to explore the rest of the city.

• Received the Dowsing Machine from Cheren and Bianca
  • Entered the Pinwheel Forest
  • Defeated Team Plasma in Pinwheel Forest
  • Robin :pidove: evolved into Tranquill :tranquill:
  • Crossed Skyarrow Bridge
  • Entered Castelia City
  • Cleared the Battle Company

Beethoven :herdier: (m) Lv. 23 @Quick Claw
Normal
Intimidate
67 / 47 / 39 / 29 / 42 / 30
Quiet Nature

Scout :watchog: (f) Lv. 22 @none
Normal
Illuminate
59 / 50 / 40 / 36 / 38 / 43
Bashful Nature
Tackle | Crunch | Super Fang | Hypnosis

Fluffball :audino: (m) Lv. 22 @Miracle Seed
Normal
Regenerator
77 / 32 / 42 / 34 / 47 / 27
Mild Nature
Secret Power | Grass Knot | Attract | Work Up

Robin :tranquill: (f) Lv. 23 @Scope Lens
Normal | Flying
Big Pecks
64 / 48 / 36 / 31 / 25 / 39
Lonely Nature

Normal
Pickup
18 / 10 / 9 / 7 / 9 / 9
Docile Nature

Normal
Run Away
17 / 10 / 7 / 8 / 8 / 8
Mild Nature

I'm starting to worry about some of the big fights coming up - namely Clay and his Excadrill :excadrill:. I know I still have a while to go but I'm thinking I will have to rely on Dig from either Beethoven :herdier: or Scout :watchog: as well as Jump Kick from the Deerling :deerling: I will catch on Route 06. Hmmm... hopefully I'll be able to think of a good strategy.

Comment Question: What is your favourite evil team in Pokemon and why? I would have to say mine is actually Team Plasma. I like how different they were compared to previous evil teams. Also their uniform is hilarious to me. I also really like the design of Team Galactic. Those teal wigs are pretty iconic.

Until next time guys.

See Ya!~

nkween

Ace Trainer
Time Zone
GMT
No replies this time so I had to wait 24 hours to post this update. Anyway, enjoy guys!

Part 06: Stop Bugging Me

Last time my team and I defeated the battle company and gained some extra levels. I decide I want to explore the rest of the city before taking on the Pokemon Gym. I visit the last few piers I haven't visited yet before heading up the western most street of the city. As I approach the Gym, Cheren comes out and tells me how he has beaten the Gym Leader as Bug-types don't really pose a threat for his team. As he wanders away, Burgh - the Gym Leader - runs out frantically telling me Team Plasma are causing trouble in the city and for me to meet him on prime pier. When I go there I am met by Bianca and Iris who explain that Team Plasma have stolen one of Bianca's Pokemon. Conveniently enough, a grunt appears before running off leading up to Team Plasma's hiding place across from the Gym.

Before going into the building, I defeat a Team Plasma grunt who uses two Sandile :sandile: :sandile: with Fluffball :audino: allowing him to grow to Lv. 23. Inside, Ghetsis and two of the seven sages ramble some more about liberation before returning Bianca's Munna :munna: to her and retreating. Burgh and Iris talk about how they are bad people and must be stopped before leaving, allowing me to explore the rest of the city. By the fountain, I defeat a dancer and his Pansage :pansage: using Scout :watchog: who then asks me to find two other dancers in the city to form a dance troupe with him. I reluctantly agree to do so.

I find the second dancer in the dark alley and defeat his Panpour :panpour: using Scout :watchog:. I also obtain the TM for Flash in this alley which probably won't be all that useful. The third and final dancer is awaiting on one of the piers and Scout :watchog: manages to take out his Pansear :pansear: with ease. After returning to the fountain, the dancers reward me with an Amulet Coin for my efforts. There isn't much else to note during my exploration of the city other than picking up the TMs for Attract and Rest as well as the Eviolite - which I equip to Beethoven :herdier: instead of the Quick Claw. I decide to heal my Pokemon once again and take on the Gym.

I actually really enjoy the design of this Gym. It's a Bug-type Gym that resembles honeycomb and in order to face the Gym Leader you have to unlock several gates and make your way through sticky archways filled with honey. The first trainer (one of four Harlequins) uses Sewaddle :sewaddle: and Venipede :venipede: and is taken out by Scout :watchog: who grows to Lv. 23 after the battle. The next trainer uses Sewaddle :sewaddle: and Dwebble :dwebble: and is taken out by Robin :tranquill:. The third trainer uses a Sewaddle :sewaddle: and his also taken out by Robin :tranquill:. The fourth and final trainer uses Venipede :venipede: and Sewaddle :sewaddle: and is easily handled by Robin :tranquill:. That just leaves the Gym Leader. I unlock the last gate, make my way through the sticky archway before taking on the third Gym Leader of Unova - Burgh.

Vs. Burgh
Burgh sends out Whirlipede :whirlipede: (m) (Lv. 21)
I send out Scout (Lv. 23)
Scout use Super Fang (takes to half HP)
Whirlipede uses Poison Tail (Scout HP: 49/61)
Scout uses Super Fang (takes to 1/4 HP)
Whirlipede uses Poison Tail (Scout HP: 37/61)
Scout uses Crunch
*Whirlipede :whirlipede: faints*
Burgh sends out Dwebble :dwebble: (m) (Lv. 21)
Scout uses Super Fang (takes to half HP)
Dwebble uses Smack Down (Scout HP: 27/61)
Scout uses Super Fang (takes to 1/4 HP)
Dwebble uses Smack Down (Scout HP: 15/61)
Scout uses Crunch
*Dwebble :dwebble: faints*
Burgh sends out Leavanny :leavanny: (m) (Lv. 23)
I switch Scout :watchog: out for Robin :tranquill: (Lv. 24)
Leavanny uses Razor Leaf (Robin HP: 54/66)
Leavanny uses Razor Leaf (Robin HP: 42/66)
Burgh uses a Hyper Potion on Leavanny :leavanny: - heals to full
Robin uses Work Up
Leavanny uses Razor Leaf (Robin HP: 30/66)
Robin uses Air Cutter
*Leavanny :leavanny: faints*
Victory!
The battle allows for Scout :watchog: to reach Lv. 24. After the battle, Burgh rewards be with the Insect Badge as well as the TM for Struggle Bug which is probably one of the most worthless TMs in this generation. As I leave the Gym, Bianca calls me and asks me to meet her in the gate to Route 04 for a battle. I heal my Pokemon up at the Pokemon Centre before making my way towards the most annoying Route in the game.

• Defeated Team Plasma in Castelia City
  • Explored Castelia City
  • Defeated Burgh and the Castelia City Gym

Beethoven :herdier: (m) Lv. 23 @Eviolite
Normal
Intimidate
67 / 47 / 39 / 29 / 42 / 30
Quiet Nature

Scout :watchog: (f) Lv. 24 @Amulet Coin
Normal
Illuminate
63 / 55 / 44 / 39 / 41 / 47
Bashful Nature
Tackle | Crunch | Super Fang | Hypnosis

Fluffball :audino: (m) Lv. 23 @Miracle Seed
Normal
Regenerator
81 / 33 / 44 / 35 / 49 / 28
Mild Nature
Secret Power | Grass Knot | Attract | Work Up

Robin :tranquill: (f) Lv. 24 @Scope Lens
Normal | Flying
Big Pecks
66 / 50 / 37 / 33 / 26 / 40
Lonely Nature

Normal
Pickup
18 / 10 / 9 / 7 / 9 / 9
Docile Nature

Normal
Run Away
17 / 10 / 7 / 8 / 8 / 8
Mild Nature

Nothing major for this update. Finally a boss battle where Beethoven :herdier: doesn't do all the work though. Scout :watchog: really pulled through for the team against Whirlipede :whirlipede: and Dwebble :dwebble:. I'm glad she had a chance to shine. A new team member will be caught within the next two parts - unsure of it'll be Part 07 or Part 08. Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed this update. :minccino:

Comment Question: What is your favourite Bug-type Pokemon and why? I really like Masquerain :masquerain: because I think it is one of the cleverest Pokemon designs and my personal favourite Quiver Dance user. Also Guzma's Masquerain :masquerain: literally causes so much pain thanks to the buff it received in Sun and Moon.

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I really enjoy the way you make your updates! The little sprites are a wonderful addition!

You took out Burgh quite nicely. Props to Scout for that battle!

As for my favourite Bug-type, I'd have to go with Joltik because it is so adorably cute...

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Congrats on beating Burgh! I think my favorite Bug-type is Leavanny :leavanny:, but I'm a big fan of Heracross :heracross: as well!

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Congratulations on getting your third badge! Hopefully you will be able to get yourself a nice Minccino! I used a Cinccino in my initial playthrough of Pokemon White and it was quite useful.

My favorite bug type is also Masquerain~ It looks so elegant and its moveset is actually pretty good in the newer games as well. I would like to use one in ORAS one day.

nkween

Ace Trainer
Time Zone
GMT
@SkylarAlpha Thank you I'm glad you like the way I format these updates. It's pretty simple and easy to do so I was worried it would be a bit basic for some people. I also really like Joltik :joltik:, I just wish it was easily accessible in more games other than the Gen V ones.

@Calaf Both Leavanny :leavanny: and Heracross :heracross: are awesome Bug-types. I've used them both on teams before and Heracross :heracross: especially has been an amazing team member.

@Kaori Minccino :minccino: is so adorable so I'm looking forward to using one.

~Part 07: Old Friends and New Encounters

Last time we left off just outside the gate to Route 04 where Bianca intends on challenging me to a battle. As I make my way into the gate, she appears from behind and we begin our promised battle. She makes sure it's okay with the gate attendant first however.

Vs. Bianca
Bianca sends out Herdier :herdier: (f) (Lv. 18)
I send out Beethoven :herdier: (Lv. 23)
Beethoven uses Work Up
Herdier uses Take Down (Beethoven HP: 57/67)
Beethoven uses Work Up
Herdier uses Take Down (Beethoven HP: 47/67)
Beethoven uses Rock Smash (takes to red HP)
Herdier uses Take Down (Beethoven HP: 37/67)
Bianca uses a Super Potion – heals Herdier :herdier: to full
Bianca uses another Super Potion – heals Herdier :herdier: to full
Beethoven uses Tackle
*Herdier :herdier: faints*
Bianca sends out Dewott :dewott: (m) (Lv. 20)
*Dewott :dewott: faints*
Bianca sends out Munna :munna: (f) (Lv. 18)
Beethoven uses Bite
*Munna :munna: faints*
(Beethoven :herdier: grows to Lv. 24 – learns Crunch)
Bianca sends out Pansear :pansear: (m) (Lv. 18)
Beethoven uses Crunch
*Pansear :pansear: faints*
Victory!
Beethoven :herdier: really put in some work during that battle. Well done Beethoven :herdier:. After beating her, Bianca laments about how she struggles with being a good Pokemon trainers but vows to work harder before leaving. I make my way onto Route 04 where a vicious sandstorm is raging. This is going to make any battles I have on the route a little more difficult. Speaking of battles, Cheren is up ahead and when I speak to him he challenges me to a Pokemon battle. Two boss battles early on in the update, you guys are in for a treat.

Vs. Cheren
Cheren sends out Pidove :pidove: (m) (Lv. 20)
I send out Fluffball :audino: (Lv. 23)
Fluffball uses Work Up
Pidove uses Air Cutter (Fluffball HP: 69/81 + Sandstorm damage)
Fluffball uses Work Up
Pidove uses Air Cutter (critical hit - Fluffball HP: 48/81 + Sandstorm damage)
*Pidove :pidove: faints*
Cheren sends out Pansage :pansage: (m) (Lv. 20)
Pansage uses Vine Whip (Fluffball HP: 31/81 + Sandstorm damage)
*Pansage :pansage: faints*
Cheren sends out Pignite :pignite: (m) (Lv. 22)
Pignite uses Defense Curl
Fluffball uses Secret Power (takes to over half, + Sandstorm damage, heals up with Oran Berry)
Pignite uses Flame Charge (Fluffball HP: 6/81)
I use a Hyper Potion and heal Fluffball :audino: to full
Pignite uses Arm Thrust (hits twice, Fluffball HP: 52/81)
Pignite uses Defense Curl
*Pignite :pignite: faints*
Fluffball :audino: grows to Lv. 24
Cheren sends out Liepard :liepard: (m) (Lv. 20)
Liepard uses Pursuit (Fluffball HP: 38/84)
Fluffball uses Secret Power (critical hit)
*Liepard :liepard: faints*
Victory!
It looks like Fluffball :audino: really wanted his time in the spotlight as well. My team are starting to perform a lot more effectively in battle which is good news for the upcoming fights. After I defeat Cheren, Professor Juniper calls us and asks us to meet her in the gate to Nimbasa City. My next encounter is going to be on Route 16 so I decide to save the trainers on Route 04 for later and head towards the gate immediately. However along the way I do end up battling a Backpacker and his Pidove :pidove: with Robin :tranquill:. Inside the gate, Professor Juniper gives us some Ultra Balls and tells us to catch more Pokemon and that is exactly what I intend to do.

As I make my way into Nimbasa City, I witness some Team Plasma grunts harassing an older gentleman. I decide to aid him and defeat one of the grunts who uses Watchog :watchog: and Trubbish :trubbish: with Robin :tranquill: allowing her to grow to Lv. 25. When the grunts run off, the man gives me the Bicycle for rescuing him. FINALLY!!! I heal up my Pokemon at the Pokemon Centre and decide to purchase a few TMs. I puchase Return, Thunder Wave and Light Screen for my collection. Return is an awesome move for Normal-types - especially the ones I have had for a while so I decide to teach it to my main four. Scout :watchog: gets Thunder Wave over Hypnosis as I prefer a more accurate status inflicting move. Fluffball :audino: gets Light Screen to help my team against the special-based moves on Elesa's team.

I head over to Route 16 battling a Policeman and his Herdier :herdier: with Scout :watchog: before heading into the tall grass. We are finally going to catch a new teammate here, I am so excited. As per my rules I end up catching three Minccino :minccino:. First is a male at Lv. 20 who I nickname Swifty :minccino:. Second is a female at Lv. 19 who I nickname Silky :minccinoo:. Lastly is another female at Lv. 19 who I nickname Snowball :minccino:. I travel back to the Pokemon Centre to decide who will join the team. Its a toss up between Silky :minccino: and Snowball :minccino. Silky has a +Attack and cute Charm. The opposite is true for Snowball who has a -Attack nature but the far superior Technician ability. In the end, Snowball :minccino: joins the party as her Modest nature might help with Special Attacks such as Swift, Grass Knot and Thunderbolt.

I equpid Snowball with the Exp. Share and decide to head back onto Route 04 to take out the trainers and gain some experience. Scout :watchog: defeats two Fisherman, one with two Basculin :basculin: :basculin: and one with four Basculin :basculin: :basculin: :basculin: :basculin: allowing her to grow to Lv. 25. Beethoven :herdier: is a champ and defeats the rest of the trainers on the route including a Parasol Lady with two Tympole :tympole: :tympole:, a Worker with two Roggenrola :roggenrola: :roggenrola: and a Timburr :timburr, another Worker with a Timburr :timburr:. Four Backpackers who use Darumaka :darumaka:, Cottonee :cottonee:, Petilil :petilil: and Blitzle :blitzle: respectively as well as two final Workers, one who uses Roggenrola :roggenrola: and Timburr :timburr: and one who uses a lone Timburr :timburr:.

I also manage to pick up two TMs on Route 04 being the TMs for Torment and Dig. I decide to teach Dig to Beethoven :herdier: as a reward for pretty much clearing the route by himself. It will come in handy against Elesa and all her Electric-types. Snowball :minccino: has reached Lv. 22 from the battles so she still has a little ways to go before she will be viable. To be honest, I don't think she is going to do amazingly until I evolve her with a Shiny Stone. Anyway, I decided to end this part here and will explore the Desert Resort in the next update.

• Defeated Bianca in the gate to Route 04
  • Defeated Cheren on Route 04
  • Defeated Team Plasma in Nimbasa City
  • Caught Swifty :minccino: on Route 16
  • Caught Silky :minccino: on Route 16
  • Caught Snowball :minccino: on Route 16
  • Headed back to Route 04
  • Defeated all the trainers on Route 04

Beethoven :herdier: (m) Lv. 25 @Eviolite
Normal
Intimidate
73 / 51 / 42 / 33 / 45 / 34
Quiet Nature
Return | Crunch | Dig | Work Up

Scout :watchog: (f) Lv. 25 @Amulet Coin
Normal
Illuminate
65 / 57 / 46 / 40 / 43 / 49
Bashful Nature
Return | Crunch | Super Fang | Thunder Wave

Fluffball :audino: (m) Lv. 25 @Miracle Seed
Normal
Regenerator
87 / 36 / 47 / 38 / 53 / 31
Mild Nature
Return | Grass Knot | Attract | Light Screen

Robin :tranquill: (f) Lv. 25 @Scope Lens
Normal | Flying
Big Pecks
69 / 52 / 39 / 34 / 27 / 42
Lonely Nature
Return | Air Cutter | Quick Attack | Work Up

Snowball :minccino: (f) Lv. 22 @Exp. Share
Normal
Technician
58 / 29 / 26 / 26 / 22 / 45
Modest Nature
Swift | Grass Knot | Attract | Sing

Normal
Run Away
17 / 10 / 7 / 8 / 8 / 8
Mild Nature

Swifty :minccino: (m) Lv. 20 - Gentle Nature
Silky :minccino: (f) Lv. 19 - Lonely Nature

I've noticed that Snowball :minccino: will probably not be very viable in battle until she evolved into Cinccino :cinccino:. That being said, I am happy to have a new team member - its felt like forever since we had a new addition. Furthermore, we will be getting another one before too long. Hope you guys enjoyed this part.

On an unrelated note, I just wanted to say that I am very excited as I have ordered a Nintendo Switch as well as Pokemon Lets Go Eevee which should be arriving tomorrow. It was a lot of money but I'm thinking it as more of an investment but I won't lie I am super excited to play Pokemon on a platform other than the DS/3DS. If any of you guys have the game, feel free to let me know your opinions on it. :eevee:

Comment Question: What is your favourite ability in the game? Technician is definitely very cool however I think my favourite ability is Trace. The concept that your Pokemon could literally have any ability in the game at any point is pretty neat. :gardevoir:

Until next time guys.
See Ya!~