Varhii

Shaggy Webber
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
I've been floating this idea around in the Discord for the past few days and several mods have pushed me to make a thread about it here to help gauge interest. What is this idea you may ask? Well it is a Nuzlocke Hunger Games! It is basically a suped up version of a Nuzlocke Race where (hopefully) 8 or so people will compete.

How will this work?

The participants will be given a checkpoint that each of them need to reach before a certain amount of time. The first person to each checkpoint will pick one person to battle with their teams. The winner of this battle will receive a reward while the loser will receive a punishment or be eliminated if it is a predetermined elimination checkpoint. Along with this, people will also be able to participate as sponsors. Sponsor will be able to buy items for the participants that they will gain passively throughout the games. These can range from simple Pokeballs to Full Restores to Rare Candies to Eggs. The games will also need to randomized with a randomizer so that there can be greater diversity between people's teams to prevent it from being as boring.

As I said I'm at the stage of floating this idea around and I've gotten some interest, but I'm wanting to get a better idea of how many would be interested. Please comment or give me a like if you are interested to help me in gauging this. Thank you!

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Sounds interesting. This could be a nice way to change a standard nuzlocke up.

Solar

Loog Noog Supreme
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I think this sounds really cool. I still really wish there could be a way where it didn't have to be randomized or could be played with a real game, but whatever it's gotta be it's gotta be. Sounds fun.

Moonwatcher

/人◕‿‿◕人\
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Shruikan, Moon, ScrollWyrm
Time Zone
BST
Eeh, I was exited about this until the randomizer only part. I really don't like randomizers. :/ If it was possible to play on an actual physical game then I'd be all over this in an instant.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Since a lot of people seem to dislike the idea of a randomizer...

As an alternative, I think a lot of the newer games offer a wide enough variety of wild Pokemon. Games like X/Y and USUM have a huge dex so it is very unlikely that two people would end up with the exact same team. You could even trade over an egg to use as a starter Pokemon to avoid two or more people picking the same starter.

Of course, the final decision is still up to you. ^^ I just thought I would throw in my two cents.

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
So the reason I'm wanting to have it be randomized and use an emulator is several reasons.

1) I did try something like this in the past and allowed people to use physical games and the whole thing ended up dying within a month due to lack of interest.
2) Items that sponsor will be able to give include stuff like a Master Ball, Berries, and items you have to get with BP. This is stuff that can be hard to obtain.
3) Pokegen will make this much easier to have battles in this. This is due to being able to directly view your Pokemon's stats and then put them in the battling simulator.

I'm not too willing to budge on the idea of using a randomizer and I'm sorry that people who would otherwise be interested are feeling left out. I just want to make it easier for the sponsor system to work and be able to have more interest early on by someone catching something super good or someone just getting a rash of bad luck.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Fair enough! I am still interested in this project.

However I am wondering how the 'first one to arrive' thing will work with personal schedules and timezones? What if someone saw the announcement for the next checkpoint later than others because they were at school, work, asleep, etc... How would that be handled?

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
Yeah that's probably the only thing I'm iffy about and really open to suggestions for as to how to handle who controls a checkpoint. Mainly cause I have several options and non of them are great.

- Use In Game Time (People use turbo and it rewards the guy who can one shot everything)
- Use Real Game Time (Requires people to actually clock how long it takes for them to do something and would require an extra step. Also hurts people with slower computers that can't go as fats as others)
- Use real life time (Risk having the same guy hit the checkpoint again and again and having people never hit it)
- Use randomness (Feels less like a reward)

I'm thinking of maybe doing a weighted lottery involving the first x or so people to get to the checkpoint, but I really am kinda stumped. If anyone has ideas, that'd be great.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Rather than time, perhaps you could come up with some sort of point system?

You could get points for each captured Pokemon, winning important battles, etc.

While points could be lost every time a Pokemon is lost or you fail a capture.

In a regular Nuzlocke, failed captures are uncommon unless you crit or forget to buy Pokeballs, but with a ranomizer it can be quite tricky to catch Pokemon in the beginning because you will be encountering fully evolved 'mons with lower catch rates.

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
This sounds like a great idea, I would definitely be up for it! I do think using in-game time would be best though, as time zones, schedules and differences in the amount of free time would make using real life time difficult. Time does increase when you use turbo, right? If that's the case, the use of turbo wouldn't be a problem. Differences in Pokemon will however be a (dis)advantage to some people, but that's also the charm of challenges like these!
I feel like a point system would work as well, although it would require quite a bit of documentation. Still, the idea sounds awesome, so I'm interested to see how you set it up! ^^