SarasaKat

bibb pretty
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kat
Time Zone
EST
Most of us are either at an age where you're first thinking about getting a job, at an age where you're specializing in a career field, or you're in one already. Considering so much of our lives are going to be oriented around what we do in working hours, what kind of jobs have you done in the past? Is there a career or job you'd like to do in the future? Any interesting work stories?

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I’ve done some volunteer work with the Red Cross, but that’s about it.

For a career, I’d either go with game translating or being a translator for the U.S. government.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
Did you actually just quote dr seuss?

I wanna write code for games. I don't actually want to design games, like most people do, I just wanna write code for them. I could probably write code for normal stuff too without going insane, but I'd much prefer not to.

Which I'm currently doing fifteenish hours a week, plus all of my free time, although I'm currently getting paid for neither. It's kinda weird.

Stories? anyone here speak C#?

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
I did volunteer work at the public library when I was in high school. We mainly put on events for kids and planned them out, and I really enjoyed it, especially the planning process! I can't think of any super interesting stories from here tbh. I had lots of fun doing it though and made some really good friends in the process.

Right now, I'm a cashier at PetSmart. I'm also training in pet care, which involves actually taking care of the animals we sell. This week has been my first full week, more or less, in pet care, but yeah. I'm more or less happy at PetSmart, it can be frustrating at times (like any job really), but it pays money and keeps my bank account from looking completely empty. I got some interesting work stories here, but let's be real, it's retail and that's a story in and of itself.

I went to school for journalism, but I'm not sure if that's what I want to do anymore. I wrote for my school's newspaper that turned into a magazine in my last year, and I was one of the only writers (pretty much the main writer 99.9% of the time) for the technology section (which included gaming). Suffice it to say, I burnt out pretty hard by the time graduation rolled around, especially as an editor because I was picking up the slack from the real lack of writers I had. I think one day, I'll go back to writing articles again, but I can't see myself doing it as a job now. I wouldn't mind doing it for some extra cash as a freelancer though, and that's something I would like to do in the future. Nothing really interesting happened here either. The editor in chief that was there during my last year really didn't do her job, and it hurt everything when it came to the publication because everything was so last minute, which was the opposite of how it needed to be.

I'm not sure what my long term career path is. I'm kinda feeling event planning because that sounds fun and cool, but I'm not really sure how and where to get myself started on that. I kinda want to get myself a car first at least so that I can have a little more freedom to move around town to find the job that I'll be happy doing the rest of my life.

chidzz

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
AEST (GMT+10)
I have done some volunteer work at small local vet clinics from year 10 up until I started uni. While at school, I also obtained a Cert II in Animal Studies (basically the lowest level nationally recognised animal care qualification in Australia).

At the beginning of my degree (vet sci), one of my volunteer turned into a paid trainee vet nurse position, which I gladly accepted. I did some work with a wildlife rehab centre as well on Sundays when I wasn't too busy with uni work. I am now working at three different vet hospitals as a nurse while studying; two small animal clinics and one avian/exotics hospital. Although, I'm about to quit one of my small animal jobs because the work environment is just horrible over there. Also, just this Satrday, I completed my training to become a WIRES rescuer/carer (Australia's main wildlife organisation).

Ultimtately, I want to graduate with a DVM and a PhD, become board certified in avian/exotic/zoo medicine and put my skills to work in the field of wildlife conservation medicine.

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
C#:
Console.WriteLine("hi");
I'm basically at the beginning of my career as I've been employed as a software developer for 18 months now, and that's pretty cool. It's good since I'm putting my degree to good use and all that. I'm happy and enjoy my work most of the time. There's definitely some exceptions, but, y'know, that's always bound to happen. Although, that said, my current job isn't what I could call my dream job. Ideally, I'd either (a) work from home or (b) be able to do some analytic stuff for a sports team, or maybe even (c) do both at the same time.

I don't really have any stories to share off of the top of my head.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
My current job is the only real job i've ever had! before this, I did some simple cleaning jobs, and I briefly modeled for an art class (just my face ok nothin spicy even though they really pushed for it). But current job is the first time I've had a steady income. Getting a normal/"real" job was quite an ordeal for me thanks to intense social anxiety but it's definitely helped me get over that which I'm wildly thankful for.

It is 110% not a job I want to stay at forever, or even much longer... (for those who don't know, I work in a Walmart bakery & sometimes deli.) it can be nice at times, but management is just awful, i don't relate to most my coworkers since they're much older and don't have much to talk about outside of walmart and their families, and the customers can be so trashy and rude. Every day working there I feel like my soul gets dimmer.

I have kind of wanted to be a cake decorator here instead, I think that would be more satisfying and a lot less stressful. Ideally, though, obviously I would prefer to not be at Walmart at all. it is not a fair company to work for in the slightest.

But I wouldn't say I have high expectations for myself career-wise... As long as I'm not miserable and making enough to support a family..

I think even opening my own bakery or cafe some day would be extremely fulfilling, though seems unrealistic.

Otherwise, I've studied graphic design a bit in college (would love to be able to go back to finish my degree some day), I think I have an eye for design & art related things.. at least somewhat... and I find it hecka rewarding...

There are other things I've passively considered like studying to be a vet or vet tech. But sinking that much money and time into more school doesn't sound tempting.

Man, for the dumb amount of time it took me to write this, I really do not think about my career path often. I used to think about it constantly and it made my anxiety so much worse - I mean I was basically a neet for years because I was frozen with fear, felt like I didn't wanna walk down the wrong path so I didn't move at all... and man that's so important. No matter which way you move, it will be valuable to you, so never stop moving even if you're unsure about it... Don't be afraid to simply gain experience, find out what you despise and what makes your heart sing.. keep moving and never let yourself be paralyzed in place.. that is my advice for anyone who seriously read this whole post.........

oh also ya i have tons of work stories but i've already spent too much time writing this and i doubt anyone would find it interesting lmao

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
I'm currently an R&D intern at Dow, and I'm so glad I'm not a potato for yet another summer. The past two summers were borderline depressing. Despite having to deal with Real Adult Hours™, it's been nice so far. The work is actual chemical engineering that college has prepared me well for, and the people in my department are friendly. I also have much more interest in the chemical industry than, say, pharmaceuticals. At this point, I'd still strongly consider trying for full-time here once my master's is done. But who knows what I'll find in this fall's job search?

Last edited:

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I've only really done temp work since graduating. Such are the woes of job searching.

Most of my assignments were industrial, but I've had a few office jobs. Currently I'm doing some product testing for Nintendo.