• Smash Camp 2020

Smash Camp, an event that has run for twelve years, has started once again! Everyone who joins is separated into one of four cabins where you'll compete to earn points through various activities, such as flash games, tournaments, and other events. At the end of camp, the totals will be finalized, and the cabin with the most total points wins. It's an awesome way to have fun with your friends while meeting new people in the process, and is open to anyone, not just members of the Marriland Forums!

Pre-Camp has officially started, with Camp itself beginning on Monday. It will be taking place exclusively on the Smash Camp Discord, which you may join by clicking here. If you have any questions, feel free to join the server and ask - we hope to see you there!

Okay yeah, I like it now! / I'm not a fan anymore.

Fafrir

Queen of Dragons
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
Are there any Pokémon you initially disliked or didn't care for but you are starting to like now? What about the opposite?

I used to hate Scrafty (I know, it's hard to believe, I'm still surprised myself; a Pokémon I used to hate is now my personal favourite for all these years), Unown, Probopass, Druddigon, Garbodor, and perhaps a few others have grown on me.

Lucario instantly comes to mind for a Pokémon I used to like to become not only a Pokémon I dislike but my least favourite overall. Glaceon comes to mind too, I used to like it because it's an Eevee but later on I just wasn't a fan of its design.

So, what are yours?

juiccbox

local buffoon
AKA
Juice/Juice man
Oooh now that’s an interesting thread

From when I was 9-11 charizard was one of my all time favorite Pokémon. Now I really can’t stand it, maybe it’s it’s overpopularity recently? I dunno. When the XY starters were revealed I was team fennekin all the way, once the game came out I honestly didn’t like fennekin anymore at all. Team chespin boys

I used to not like miltank, now it’s one of mt favorites. Similar thing happened with conkeldurr

Cynical Toast

Proud Gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
I used to really like Luxray as a kid, with him being a cool lion dude that played to my 8 yo tastes. Then I tried using one in Platinum awhile ago, and I gradually grew to hate it for its horrendously bad level up movepool. It’s a physical and electric type from a time when the best physical electric move was spark, its only usable coverage move was crunch (which also reminds me that it should have been a dark type), and it only got the elemental fangs through breeding. Needless to say, Luxray went from one of my longtime favorites to one of my least favorites.

I don’t have something for the other category because, including Luxray, I only ever remember disliking 2 Pokemon. Luxray because it’s movepool is atrocious, and also I’ve never cared for Armaldo since I think it’s butt ugly.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
Way back when I used to be a pretty big fan of Meganium, for some reason. It's not that I don't like it anymore, but it just doesn't do all that much for me anymore.

Going the other way, there aren't too many that I've ever strongly disliked besides Garbodor. I guess I used to write off the Geodude family because 4x weak to two common types, but I used a Golem in-game recently and it was actually pretty good as long as you kept it away from the water and grass foes.

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
I used to really not like Cradilly. I thought it was weird, a bit ugly, and useless in battle.
Playing competitively made me fall in love with Cradilly.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I've never strongly disliked all that many Pokemon. I guess I wasn't the biggest fan of Klinklang, for the typical dumb-Gen-V design reasons. I never used it in-game and there was nothing that made it stand out to me in a good way. Even if it's not a competitive star by any means, it pulls its weight well enough in the lower tiers, and using a Shift Gear set with Leftovers made me appreciate it a lot more.

As for the opposite, maybe I could say Alakazam. I never had a problem with it at the beginning. To me it was a just another Pokemon that was there, as happens when the creatures number in their hundreds. Having gained more experience battling against it, both in Gens VI and VII as well as Gen I, has given me something of a distaste for it. So annoying to fight, so whenever I see Alakazam nowadays it's usually accompanied by a rush of irritation.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
I've never strongly disliked all that many Pokemon. I guess I wasn't the biggest fan of Klinklang, for the typical dumb-Gen-V design reasons. I never used it in-game and there was nothing that made it stand out to me in a good way. Even if it's not a competitive star by any means, it pulls its weight well enough in the lower tiers, and using a Shift Gear set with Leftovers made me appreciate it a lot more.
I used it a bit in Gen 5 RU, it worked out well enough. Gear Grind, Wild Charge and Return didn't really hit many things for super effective damage (especially in the days before the fairy-type problem was added) but it could usually switch in on things that wanted to hurt its more frail teammates and at least do something.

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
I used to like the Chikorita line a lot, but then I used them. I don't hate them, but they're just kinda meh to me now.

I never really got the hype over Vulpix/Ninetales, so when the Alolan forms were released, I was kinda just like "meh probably just another pretty disappointment" when so many others were like "I NEED THIS ON MY TEAM." However, Jaye forcing me to use the Alolan forms was actually pretty lit and helped me like Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales a lot. Kantonian forms are still meh. Rift Vulpix is superior. :^)

I don't hate Sylveon anymore (the Pokémon was ruined for me in the past), so I guess that's progress. Still not a fan of flesh ribbons.

Blaiddyd

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Avery
Time Zone
CET
I used to really like Buizel as a kid, I don't really care for it anymore.

I also used to dislike Umbreon just because I thought it was "overrated". I think Umbreon is a cool Pokémon nowadays.